Chapter 4

A Fox Tale

Their grandpa turns around facing towards Avee and Cory as he starts to snicker at them. He then looks at their friends and starts to laugh loudly. They all look at one another in total confusion.

            “You kids are too easy to fool now and days.” giggle their grandpa as he walk towards Avee, “Avee take me to my room.”

            Avee follows her grandpa to his room as she held onto his arm. She glances at him from time to time letting out a small sigh. As they arrive she let go of his arms and opens the door for him. Switching on the light her grandpa went and sat down in his seat. She stare at him as he pats the empty spot for her to sit with him, she walks towards him and sat down.

            “Avee… As you have already known I went to visit my old friend. The friend who knows about the white blood lines of the royal foxes. He looked into it and it is something that I absolutely disapprove of. Stay away from that boy Carter.” said her grandpa firmly not wanting to look her in the eyes.

            Avee stare at her grandpa sadly, “Why grandpa? Why?” ask Avee clutching onto her fist tightly.

            “Just do as I say. I am only saying this because I want to protect you only Avee. Your future is not so good and I cannot risk losing you.” said her grandpa with sadden eyes.

            “I’m sorry grandpa. If what you saw is my fate, then I cannot change that. I may have come to like him. He has become someone important to me. I’m sorry grandpa. I don’t want to change my fate, if my destining is to be with him then please support me. If not then I’ll follow your orders grandpa.” said Avee reaching for her grandpa’s hands as she held them softly.

            Her grandpa let out a huge sigh and nods his head, she happily smiles at him and walk out of his room. He gradually lies down in bed staring into space as he began to think of what his friend has told him about his granddaughter’s fate.

            The scenery had a long green field of grass behind that green field was a gate. From where the grandpa was sitting he spotted every little thing that was in view from the window. His best friend had walked in with his daughter following with a tray of two cups of tea. His friend sat down in front of him and his daughter set the tea down in front of them. She then left the room closing the door behind her. The two old friends stared at one another in silence, taking a sip of their tea.

            “I’m glad that you came for a visit today, my old friend.” said the old man cheerfully welcoming his friend.

            He chuckled, “Thank you for having me, Chris.”

            “You’re always welcome here, Jake.” said Chris.

            “Say do you remember what you told me 11 years ago? About the human fox that come searching for his bride?” asked Jake worriedly.

            “Has it begun? You’re granddaughter is hearing voices?” replied Chris also worried.

            Grandpa Jake looked at Chris in surprise, “How did you know when I didn’t tell you anything that had happened to her.”

            Chris sighed and walked over to his drawer, he opened it and pulled out a picture, “You know that I would never do anything to hurt you, but your granddaughter…” he sat down and faces the picture upside down placing it in front of his friend Jake.

            Jake took hold of the picture and looked at it his eyes grew wide from shock, “Is this for real? Or did you take this picture of my granddaughter and photo shopped her into these clothes?”

            His friend Chris shook his head side to side, “My old friend that was from century ago, for generation to generation this tale has been passed down to us. And when I saw your daughter as she grew up, she looked identical to Lavee Hearterfel. Your Avee is the reincarnation of Lavee Hearterfel. Those voices she heard is the human fox trying to get a hold of her. Tell her to stay away from people who are trying to get close to her. They are the most dangerous. Her fate is blurry but I feel it’ll end terribly.” he let out a heavy sigh.

            “Alright then, I can’t imagine what I would do without you old friend.” replied Jake from shock, “Thank you so much.”

             Thinking about the entire situation grandpa let out a huge sigh as he lay down to bed for the night.

            Avee steps out of Grandpa’s room, closing the door behind her. She walks to the living room to the stair case standing there blankly, reminiscing about what her grandpa had told her. She made her way up the stairs slowly as she walk to the end of the hall, opening the door to their outside balcony. She sat on one of the two chairs blankly staring out into the bright night.

            Coming out from the restroom with a sharp sense of someone outside siting on the balcony, Carter made his way to there. Standing by the door on the inside, with his night vision he saw Avee siting there alone lost in her thoughts. He opens the door and walk out as Avee quickly look his way. She watches him as he took a seat next to her. The two of them both sat there in silence, until one of them broke it.

            Avee looks at Carter and let out a small chuckle, “Well, this is awkward. I would have thought you’ll be asleep already.”

            He chuckles as well, “and I would of have thought you’ll be snoring away in bed.”

            The two of them chuckled and then look off into the sky. Avee let out a small sigh and tuck her head into her knees.

            “Carter…” she mumbles through teeth still with her head tuck into her knees.

            He glances her way, “Are you ok Avee? Are you not feeling well?”

            Avee jolt her head up staring up at the moon, “Carter… What if… What if one day I someone was to get close to me, to harm me? What would you do about?”

            Carter stares at Avee blankly and then to his hands, “Well if one day that was to happen. I would go search for you and I wouldn’t stop until you are safe and found.” He clenches his hand into a fist holding in his emotion.

            Avee let out a small smile and lay her head onto Carter’s shoulder as she closed her eyes.

            “Thank you.” said Avee opening her eyes back up, “Carter do you find the fox tale to be amusing?”

            “No. Not at all, I find it to be fascinating.” said Carter looking up into the moon and the stars.

            Avee smile and sat up looking at Carter in the eyes, “You know when I was a little girl. I would always dream of meeting a fox who can shape-shift into a human form. If I was to ever meet one, I would want to marry them.” She chuckles, “I would want to meet one, one day. Then I would feel like my childhood dream has been fulfilled.” She smiles at him.

            “So if you couldn’t meet one and you have to end up marrying a human man. Would you wait it out and not marry at all until you meet one?” ask Carter curious.

            Avee put her finger up to her chin and thought not even for a minute did she answer Carter’s question, “Well I don’t mind if it’s with you. If I can’t meet one in this life time then I don’t mind marrying you.” She held onto his hand smiling sweetly at him.

            Carter shifts his body to the other side facing his back towards Avee, hiding his face from her sight. He couldn’t control the amount of pressure that he held from her answer, blushing his way throughout the night. She glances at him chuckling at his cute behavior. She lays her head on his shoulder staring up to the sky sweetly smiling.

            The next morning

            Everyone woke up to find breakfast set on the table ready for all of them to eat. Everyone walk to a seat settling down for breakfast, except one person.

            “Where’s Avee?” ask Cory’s grandpa.

            Everyone stare up the stairs with a dead blank expression, except Carter.

            “So… Who wants to go wake her up?” ask Cory looking around.

            Everyone was ignoring Cory’s eyes as they all nudge one another to wake her up. Carter looks at everyone who did not want to wake Avee up, and so he voluntarily stood up from his seat walking up the stairs.

            He walks towards Avee’s room and slowly opens the door, making a creaking sound. He peeks inside but Avee was nowhere to be seen on her bed. He snuck in and closes the door behind him. He walks to the other side of the bed and saw that she had fallen down from her bed. He chuckle as he walks to her side crouching down. He looks at her sleepy face and shook her lightly to wake up while whispering her name. However, she did not budge. He shook her lightly a couple more times.

            “Stop it!” she yell rolling away from Carter mumbling herself to sleep again.

            He chuckles at her sleepiness. He thought of how to wake her up, since she doesn’t want to be shaken. Carter closes his eyes and telepath his way to her head.

            “Avee.” said Carter softly in her head, “It’s time to get up now.” He chuckle.

            Avee’s eyes shot open as she quickly sat up. With messy hair she looks around the room and saw Carter sitting beside her. Her eyes widen as she quickly cover herself from Carter’s staring eyes. She heard Carter chuckling as she quickly ran straight ahead to her restroom. She shut the door behind her feeling embarrass. Carter walks up the restroom door and knocks on it.

            Avee yelp but quickly cover , “Y…Yes?”

            He chuckles, “When you’re done everyone is waiting out there for you to eat breakfast.”

            “Ah! Ok, thank you.” reply Avee blushing.

            Carter snickers quietly and left her room. Avee quickly washes her face and apply skin care materials on her face. She peeks out from her restroom door noticing that no one was inside her room. She walks to her closet door and pick out some outfits. She wore a pink flowery spaghetti blouse that was flow at the bottom and with a dark blue short just a couple of inches above her knees. She quickly ran down the stairs and to the kitchen table where everyone was at still eating. She let out a wide yawn and began to eat breakfast with everyone else. Every one ate breakfast peacefully stuffing their mouth. After breakfast everyone help clean up and did the dishes.

            They all sat down in the living room feeling full from breakfast. Sitting there watching the television, until someone came up with the idea of going someplace.

            “Hey so how about we go and do something, like to the beach or so.” suggest Taedon looking at everyone’s expressions.

            “Hmm. That could be fun, but we have school tomorrow so something more reasonable to be done in one day.” said Jessica

            “Then what about the amusement park?” ask Tifa with excitement.

            “That’s good. I have always wanted to go there.” said Jessica excited.

            Everyone began to get ready with excitement. They quickly prepare their things and head towards the amusement park. After two hours of driving and getting stuck in traffic they finally arrive to the amusement park. They quickly found a parking and got out of the car. They began to walk towards the entrance of the gate with the girls full of excitement. Jessica and Cory were walking together as Gavin and Tifa were also walking together, leaving Carter and Avee together with Scur, Taedon, and Darwin.

            “So you guys. Let’s try to pick up some girls here.” said Taedon hype up.

            “Yeaaah! I’m ready!” said Darwin in excitement.

            “I don’t know. I’ll come after I get some food.” said Scur thinking about the food inside the amusement park.

            Avee and Carter chuckle to their conversation.

            “If you guys want, do you guys want me to help?” ask Avee laughing.

            “No, no, no. What if they think you’re our girl or something? We can’t risk it.” said Taedon.

            “Don’t worry. Watch I’ll help you guys get three of the hottest babes.” laugh Avee, “Carter will help.” She glances at Carter to get approval.

            He notices her glance and agree nodding his head.

            “What if those chicks end up liking Carter instead?” question Darwin, “Now we can’t beat this pretty boy. He’s eye catchi~…”

            “Not saying that we aren’t as well.” said Taedon cutting off Darwin.

            “Don’t worry. Trust me brothers, I got this.” said Avee speaking in English to them laughing.

            “Ok. Ok. Ok.” They reply to her.

            They soon reach the entrance gate and paid their way inside. After getting pass the security scan. As soon as everyone gone pass it they immediately walk towards inside the amusement park looking at all the different crazy rides.

            “Ok. So if we ever get lost or separate, meet up here. At this spot! Remember that.” said Cory giving out orders, “Avee you stick close to us. I don’t want you getting lost all by yourself.”

            Avee pouts and link arm with Carter, “I have Carter, Taedon, Darwin and Scur to take care of me. I’m not a baby anymore Cory. I can take care of myself, you know.”

            Cory let out a sigh in disbelief, “Fine since you are such a stubborn little girl. Just remember to meet up here, if you can’t find this place again call me alright.”

            Avee let out a huge smile, “Don’t worry!”

            Avee ran up to Tifa and Jessica pulling them aside as the men mess around with each other.

            “Jessica and Tifa, today is your day. Enjoy it to the fullest.” Laugh Avee, “I’m letting you guys spend time alone with your man. Jessica hurries up with the process of dating my brother. He obviously likes you and Tifa move on to the next base, the lip.”

            Jessica and Tifa both look at one another and laugh. They both nudge Avee’s head lightly and walk back to the men who were all attracting attention from other females. The group began to move towards the rides, riding them together. However, as soon as they line up Avee, Taedon, Darwin, and Scur ran off. Avee look at the boys and then notice that Carter wasn’t following them. She quickly ran towards Carter and pulls him away quietly so that Cory and the other three wouldn’t notice at all.  Carter was obedience and follows the four of them. After running away from Cory and the three, they sat down on the bench to catch their breath. Avee spot some cotton candy and quickly walk towards the stall. The boys look at Avee making sure she wasn’t trying to ditch them.

            “How much for one?” ask Avee.

            “One dollar for one.” said the stall lady.

            “I’ll take three please. One pink and two blue.” said Avee smiling.

            The stall lady whip up two blues and one pink, handing it to Avee as she hands her three dollar bills. Avee accept the three cotton candy and ran straight back to the boys.

She hands Scur a blue one, “Here, I know you came here for these the most. So I got you one to eat all by yourself.” Smile Avee as Scur accepts it.

She hands Darwin and Taedon the other blue one, “Here! You guys share!” she laughs.

“Wait a minute. Why do we have to share?” ask Taedon.

“Because I said so.” Laugh Avee, “Sharing is caring.”

“But Scur doesn’t have to share.” whine Darwin.

“Hey share. I’m helping you guys get girls.” said Avee sitting between Darwin and Carter.

Avee glances at Carter and hands him the pink one for them to share.

“Have some Carter.” said Avee handing it towards him.

“It’s alright. I don’t know how it tastes like anyways.” said Carter.

Avee then suddenly choke on her saliva catching attention from the other three, “You have never tasted cotton candy before. You must try it.” she pinches some and told him to open up his mouth. She places the cotton candy in his mouth and watches his expression.

“Is it good?” ask Avee curious of his answer as to the other three.

His expression brightens up with a smile, “Yeah. It’s really delicious.” he began to eat more.

After eating cotton candy, Avee suddenly stood up on the bench swallowing the cotton candy in . With a loud voice she startles the guys.

“Step right up ladies. Come one come all to meet these three fabulous gentlemen that can easily sway your heart. If you don’t like them reject them, but don’t waste this time to meet these three handsome men. Come on over single ladies.” said Avee loudly projecting her voice.

The crowd began to surround them full of single men and women. Taedon, Darwin, and Scur were all surprise at how many people came crowding around them. Avee herself was surprise at how many people came crowding around them. Even the single men were crowing around for her. The men that crowed around her ask if she was seeing anyone.

She waves her hands side to side in rejection, “I’m sorry, but I’m not looking for a man right now. I’m actually waiting for someone.”

The crowds of men look at one another and then began to crowd in closer to her.

“So does that mean that we have a chance?” said one of the men in the crowd.

Without hesitation Carter put his arms around Avee’s shoulder and stares at the crowd of men, “Sorry lads but she’s with me.”

Avee suddenly froze at Carter’s sudden words. She looks at Carter amaze as the group of men began to walk away.

“Let’s go man. She got a better man. We can’t beat his pretty boy looks.” said one of the men in the crowd.

The crowd began to become less when the group of men left and some of the girls who weren’t interested in Taedon, Darwin and Scur left. Carter and Avee look at the three of them and saw that they were busy hooking up with a girl. Carter grab hold of Avee’s hand and pull her to follow along. She began to follow him to places. They happily rode from rollercoasters to rollercoaster. They walk around happily playing with one another. After playing and riding rollercoasters they sat down on the bench taking a break. Carter glances at Avee who was fanning herself from the sudden hot weather. He stood up as she glances up at him confuse. He began to walk away as she slightly reaches towards him but hesitate to grab hold of his shirt. After a couple of minute he walks back to her with one can of ice tea. He hands her the can as she accepts it with gratitude. She notice that he only brought one can of ice tea.

“What about you?” ask Avee

“I’m ok. Drink up. You must be hot.” said Carter looking at people walking by and couples with smiling faces expression.

Avee open the can of ice tea and took a sip. She then press the cold can to his cheek. He looks at her quickly in shock. She hands him the can placing it in his grip.

“Drink some. It’s gotten hot the drink will help cool you down.” said Avee sweetly smiling at him.

He looks at Avee and then looks at the can of ice tea. He slowly lifts the can towards his mouth, but then hesitated pulling it backwards. He glances at Avee who was anticipated for Carter to drink the ice tea. He then slowly lifts the can closer to his mouth touching his lips. He took a sip of the ice tea and glance over to Avee. Avee chuckles at him.

“You know, it’s like we just share an indirect kiss.” Laugh Avee, “I have always wanted to do that with someone. I see it in dramas and anime a lot and so I wanted to also try it.”

Carter who was flushed by what Avee had said began to choke on the ice tea. Avee quickly pat his back to help him from choking.

“I’m sorry was it something I said?” ask Avee handing him a napkin.

He slowly stops coughing and accepts Aveen’s napkin, “No. the ice tea was just too good.” He said blushing.

Avee got a closer look at his face. His face was flushed red from earlier.

“Oh! Carter are you not feeling well?” ask Avee concern.

“Ah! No, I’m ok.” said Carter covering his mouth.

Avee suddenly lean in closer to Carter. She places her forehead to Carter’s forehead taking his temperature to see if he was alright. The two of them stare deep into each other’s eye. Within 5 minutes their eyes wander off to other places. Avee on the other hand notice that her forehead was still on Carter’s forehead. She quickly removes her head from his and sat down beside him. The two of them sat side by side embarrass. Night time began to fall as Carter and Avee both walk back to the entrance gate. However no matter where they go they couldn’t find the place that Cory told them to meet up at. They were lost.

Avee let out a huge sigh, “Why is this place so huge?”

While Avee was stress out about finding the place to meet everyone, Carter was looking at the Ferris wheel ride. Avee glances over to Carter who was still looking at the ride. She follows his gaze and notice that he was looking at the Ferris wheel.

“Do you want to ride it?” said Avee pointing to the ride.

Carter removes his gaze from the Ferris wheel and looks at Avee, “No”

Avee grab hold of his hand and look at him. She tilts her head towards the ride and smile at him. Pulling him along, he follows obediently. Since most of the people left they quickly got on the ride. The ride began to go up, as the two of them sat across from one another. Avee face was close up to the window looking at the beautiful scenery. Instead of the beautiful scenery Carter was looking at Avee smiling to him-self. Avee glances at Carter and smile as she quickly looks back out the window.

‘Yes, just like that. Keep smiling like how you always have been. That carefree attitude that I love so much just like this. I don’t want this moment to never end.’ thought Carter sadly smiling to him-self.

 “You know. I have always wanted to try that thing at the top. Legend says that if you do that at the top, you’ll end up together.” said Avee curiously.

“Do what exactly?” ask Carter confusedly.

“Kiss kiss…” said Avee with no hesitation putting her finger to her lips with a smile.

As the ride came to a stop and letting people out off of the ride. They were slowly approaching the top of the Ferris wheel. Avee switches her gaze towards the window once again looking out to the scenery. Carter slowly switches over to Avee’s side sitting next to her. He reaches for her hand but hesitated. He began to reach towards her hand without hesitation once more as he grips lightly onto Avee’s hand. Avee quickly looks at their hand and then glance up at Carter. Carter slowly moves towards her as the two of them lock eyes. Moving her head backwards it soon reaches the window preventing her from moving any further. He slowly began to close the gap between them getting closer to her lips. Just an inch away from her lips out of nowhere Avee’s cellphone starts to ring. Carter quickly backs away blushing as he looks out the window.

Avee quickly picks up her call, “Cory.”

Cory was practically yelling from the other side of the phone that even Carter could hear.

“Where are you guys? You know how late it is? We were supposed to meet up by now.” yells Cory angrily, “Hurry up and meet up at the coffee shop by the entrance gate this instant.”

Avee explode, “There’s no use in yelling stupid Cory! We’ll be there when we want to!” Avee angrily end the call as the two of them left the Ferris wheel ride.

Avee and Carter soon arrive to the coffee shop near the entrance gate where everyone else was waiting for them. Cory began to lecture Avee, but Avee angrily ignore him and walk towards Taedon, Darwin, and Scur.

“Let’s go guys!” said Avee as they all began to walk out the gate.

Cory let out a frustrated sigh as Jessica pats him on the shoulder to calm him down, as the two of them follows behind.

After four hours of driving and getting stuck in traffic they all arrive safely outside of Avee’s and Cory’s house. Gavin and Tifa both left in his car as Taedon, Darwin and Scur all left in Taedon’s car. Cory took Jessica home and then there was Carter and Avee left at her house along with their grandpa. Avee opens the door to her house and let Carter in. they sat in the living room awkwardly watching television.  Avee stood up and left to the kitchen leaving Carter by himself. She soon came back with two cans of ice tea as she hands one to Carter. He accepts the ice tea and drank it well. As the two of them sat there watching whatever was on the television Avee slowly starts to drift to sleep. A couple of minutes later Avee fell asleep soundly. Carter glances over to Avee who was sleeping soundly. He removes the small hairs out of her face staring at her passionately. He then slowly leans over towards her and hesitate, but then he remains moving in slowly towards her as he softly presses his lips on her cheek. Avee slowly opens her eyes and Carter was nowhere in sight. She slightly rubs her head and walks to her bedroom.

*             *            *               *                *              *                   *                *

It was getting darker by the minute Carter arrive home at the bottom of the stairs to the shrine. His eyes brightly glowing as he began to walk up the stairs. It didn’t even take him a second to climb those stairs with his abnormal inhuman strength. He walks inside the shrine and walk to his brother Saga’s room. Opening the door to Saga’s room he kneels down and greets his older brother, the king. Saga turns around face towards Carter smiling at him warmly.

“Ah! Carter you’re home. How was the sleepover?” ask Saga

“It was ok.” said Carter looking at the bamboo floor mat as he clench his fist.

“How is Lavee?” said Saga, “I mean her reincarnate form Avee?”

Carter clenches his fist tighter, “She’s doing fine. She’s always been the way she was. If that is all I would like to rest now.” He stood up and bow closing the door behind him.

Saga watches Carter until he closes the door. He let out a huge sigh of despair. ‘How did it come to this? How did he become like this? Was it my entire fault? I regret not paying attention to him when he was so young. Carter I’m sorry. This idiot brother of yours didn’t know how you felt. I’m sorry.’ Thought Saga

Carter slowly walks down the hall to his room. As he close the door behind him he slowly slump down to the floor. ‘From the start I have been trying real hard to let her go, but now that she’s back in my life. I… I can’t let her go anymore. This pain in my chest is happening all over again. I can’t let her go again. We were fated to be together, I let the first time slide but I can’t lose her again the second time.’ Thought Carter as a tear ran down his face.

 

 

To Be Continue….

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------