Lights, Camera, Action

The Odd Couple

 

 

Gui POV

 

We stood at opposite ends of the meeting room, him listening intently to the PD director’s instructions and run-through on the first episode, me just admiring his perfect features - the way he slightly furrows his brows and the small wrinkles appear on his smooth yet manly...

 

“Gui, you better not drool in front of the whole wgm team or I will literally kill you” my manager growls into my ear beside me. I shook my head and coughed discreetly before turning my attention to the PD director.

 

“So basically we have a set script given to you but I’m telling you in advance, I welcome you guys to add in your own lines whenever you think it feels right. This is our first tv show broadcasting between Taiwan and Korea and I want this to be really special. Along with both production teams from Taiwan and Korea, I believe this would be very successful and lift WGM ratings to the roof.” says the PD director with a big grin on his face and clapping excitedly everyone in the room joined in the applause as if the ratings were soaring already.

“Our production team carefully selected the pairing with a lot of considerations, even the script written by both teams- hopefully brings out their unique personalities into the show. I am very excited about this production and I hope you guys won’t disappoint me. Okay, enough of my blabbing and let’s get the cameras rolling.” the PD director finishes his short speech with a clap and everyone starts discussing the final adjustments before the show began.

 

 

Taec POV

 

“Ya, hyung ! Did you see how that weird chick stared at me during the meeting? I think I even saw her drool, man I’m seriously not looking forward to this” I complained to my manager in a disgruntled tone.
“Cool it, she seems like a sweet girl to me. Look at her, that harmless little bee - look on the bright side of things man, you’ll probably end up falling for her” joked my manager and he wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

I flinched in slight disgust at my manager but glanced across the room at her again, she wore a bright royal blue coat that complimented her pure white skin - slightly pale I must add, and she wore her long wavy hair out which fell across her shoulders and bounced as she walked. She had a thick scarf around her pale neck, nearly covering her lips - which also looked quite pale, I wondered if she was anemic or something, she looked so cold and fragile. I shook my head, why should I care? I shouldn’t concern myself with her business.

 

“First scene ready ! Please get into your positions guys” yelled the PD nim through the mic.

“Counting down 3, 2, 1 - Lights, Camera, ACTION !”

 

I sat waiting in quite a warm and comfortable cafe, even though the whole scene was just plain corny I was satisfied with the warmth radiating through the life-saving heaters. I rubbed my hands slightly, and looked out through the windows as if I was impatiently waiting for her arrival. I plastered a smile that supposedly depicted my longing desire to meet my to-be wife, yet inwardly I had quite opposite feelings. I wanted to go home, back to the members and sleep, eat, workout and do some training- not here pretending to like and marry this unknown foreign chick. I sighed as I heard the front door ring and open slightly- revealing my “sweet and cute to be taiwanese wife”.

The first thing I thought when she came in was woah she looks really different, why is she smiling so brightly? Her perfect set of teeth revealed itself as she smiled and laughed awkwardly- unable to decipher whether to say korean or english or chinese. This girl can really act I thought. I stood up and greeted her in a polite manner and forced a big smile matching hers, I cannot, I repeat cannot, lose to the Taiwanese actress I decided. I sat her down in one of the seats in a gentlemanly manner and started a light conversation in simple English.
“Hello, my name is Ok Taecyeon. How are you? “ I say to her slowly.
“Ann-yeo-ha-se-yo Ok Taecyeon. Wu ying Jie imnida, but you can call me gui gui for short” she replies in broken Korean and amazingly quite fluent English. I had to admit, I was so surprised at her English that I forgot my lines from the script.
“Oh, gui gui, I didn’t expect your english to be so good. But you need to improve on your Korean. So what do you want to eat? Are you hungry?” I ask her while avoiding those sparkling eyes of hers and gesturing towards the menu before me.

“Thank you Ok Taecyeon, hoho I studied English for quite some time now. You teach me Korean arasso? Yes, I’m very hungry. I can’t read Korean so you just order for me.” She surprises me again with the random korean insertions and fluency of her speech in English, this is not what the internet told me - where was the girl who couldn’t even ask where the toilet was in English? Will this be just as awkward as I thought it would be since we can actually communicate? These questions arose in my head as our conversation continued.


Soon the  mouth watering food arrived - the melted milk chocolate covering the warmly toasted waffles and strawberries layered around the plate with caster sugar sprinkled delicately across the plate. Along with the dish, two hot and frothed with cream milk chocolate arrived onto the table- I saw her eyes sparkle again in excitement and she her lips in silent hunger. I laughed in my head as she obviously couldn’t wait to eat and it showed all over her face. As the show continued shooting, I realised she was actually eating everything - from the whole cup of chocolate to all 5 pieces of waffles. I widened my eyes slightly as I watched her shovel the food into and even the fork for the remaining chocolate.
This girl is so weird I thought, she looks so small yet eats so much...and most girl just pretends to eat on set - especially with desserts and chocolate, yet this girl is stuffing her face right in front of the camera. Does she even know the millions of people will be watching the show all over the world? She didn’t even notice that she got some chocolate on her face near her chin, what a mess - however, I decided to go along with the directors instructions before and improvise. I reached over and swiped the chocolate off her face gently with my tissue, in hopes of looking like a loving husband to-be taking care of his cute wife in front of the camera. However, I did not expect her to blush as her two round cheeks lit up which was very visible because she had fair coloured skin. I decided her acting skills was really something I should learn from, she can even control her blushes at will - pretty useful technique in the filming industry.


“Okay, CUT ! Good work guys, loved the whole improvised scene ! L.O.V.E.D IT ! That’s a wrap for the first half - take a 20 and rest well.” shouted the director with a big satisfied grin on his face.

 

I leaned back in chair with a sigh and prepared to get up and leave, but before I could she grabbed my hand and shook in happily. Oh no... don’t tell me. Those familiar sparkling eyes lit up more than usual, that wide grin on her face, the slight blush on her cheeks, that familiar handshake of hers... don’t tell me she was my fan gosh dammit.

“OMG, Ok Taecyeon, I’m A BIG FAN OF YOURS ! could we take a photo together. I have so much to say to you. hohoho, I am so happy that we can film together, I seriously can’t believe this is happening... omo I LOVE YOU.” she shouted in my face excitedly and couldn’t see my crestfallen expression as I realised this show would be so much worser than I thought it would be.