Waiting

The Odd Couple

 

 

 

Even as I pulled an extra thick woollen jumper over my head, my body was still freezing cold. Nonetheless, I left our apartment and got into the big black van and prepared myself for a prep-talk from my manager before the show started. Drumming my fingers along the leather car seat, I looked out from the window which was starting to slowly clear up from the cold morning fog, thanks to the blasting heat coming from the air con. The pathways and road was covered in a thin layer of snow, contrast from pure white - it was quite dirty I noted as I squinted my eyes slightly. Slipping my headphones on, I tried to drown out the continuous nagging voice of my manager who repeatedly warned me not to be rude and ‘myself’ throughout the broadcast of the show. I let out a soft groan as I imagined how awkward the show would be, due to the language barrier between the chinese actress and I. Apparently, the show begins with me oblivious to who my so-called ‘wife’ is and waits impatiently for her arrival in a cute cafe. How stupid I thought. Obviously I would know who she is right ? That’s what the internet is for. The news about me starring in this international We Got Married show with the Taiwanese Actress Gui Gui was basically in every 2PM and kpop website on the internet, which I follow on a daily basis. I also got told about the whole script of the show and what sort of character we would be playing from the PD director of WGM. Ding Ding- the netizens got it right again, yes the show is scripted and so are all the other ones. The night after I found out about the show, I did some research about this so-called Wu Ying Jie they speak of. I was a bit weirded out I guess, who calls themselves Ghost Ghost ? She looks quite plain and a bit of a cutesy- girly- pretending I am cute type, which I must add is exactly the type I distaste the most in girls. I didn’t know what to expect, a pretty chinese actress who spoke quietly and was ladylike I guess?
 

“Oi Taec, come one ! stop dazing off - we’re here already. Go get your makeup and hair done quickly. “ the Manager tells me hurriedly. I squinted once more as I got out of the van, the white light was way too bright for my liking. Once my makeup and hair was set perfectly to give off the prince-charming appearance, we set off to the cafe where the show was to start.


“Gui Gui, WAKE UP NOW ! you hear me? NOW ! You have to get ready NOW ! get up, you lazy ” I could faintly hear my manager yelling in my ear. I scrunched up my face when a blast of cold air surrounded my body as she pulled my thick and warm blanket off my bed. I balled my body up to secure some sort of warmth and attempted to sleep again. Attempted. That was when my manager pinched my eyes open, forcing the bright morning light to wake me up. I grudgingly woke up under her cruel ministrations and rolled myself out of the bed. After a quick breakfast, I was forced in a chair where my face was by products to look pretty for the show and my husband. I was still trying to perfect my hi in korean, but I find korean so hard and awkward coming out of my mouth. My heart beated rapidly when I thought I’ll be finally meeting Ok Taecyeon from the Hot K-pop group- 2PM, and moreover, he would be starring as my husband in the WGM show. I grinned in excitement and let out a small squeal as I was a big fangirl of 2PM, especially Nichkhun and of course - my husband to be. Who wouldn’t right ? That body. That face. Ooft, damn I think I just drooled. I wiped my chin secretly and heard my manager sigh behind me, realising she witnessed my daydreaming, yet again. It wasn’t the first time, I admit. I was a big fan of 2PM, ever since they debuted, with Jaebum and the amazing acrobats during their live stages. I cried when the horrifying news broke out that Jay would be leaving and repeatedly watched every episode of their Idol Army and Wild Bunny shows. My manager and fellow members from Hey Girl witnessed my pitiful state as I sobbed throughout the night in front my laptop and yelled out how cruel netizens were. Anyways, back to me and my bubbling excitement. I think my heart was going to pop out when they announced I would be starring in WGM with taecyeon. But now that this is actually happening, I’m so nervous I could die. I know many of my fans are probably worrying about my lack of skills in speaking English, but hohoho, Gui Gui has finally mastered Engrish after two years of going as a solo artist and continuous English lessons. I’m still not fluent but I hope our conversations wouldn’t be too awkward.
 

“Gui ah, stop grinning like a madman. You will scare Taecyeon like that. Act normal okay ? Don’t be yourself please. You will get many haters and even a hate gui gui club ! “ my manager tells me and sighs.
“Buuuut, I believe Taecyeon is the man I know. The kind, dorky and handsome husband. Haters will always hate, I’ll be okay.” I reply with a big smile on my face. Haters can it, haha - because I will be the one with Taecyeon and not them. I shake off the nervous feeling and waited impatiently for our first meeting.