Princess Amelia

Shots!

"Hyo, why did you slap her?” Taeyeon asked in horror as she stared at Jessica who was clutching her right cheek.

 

Hyoyeon gave her a shrug. “She wouldn’t snap out of it.”

 

“Did you just slap me?”

 

The two Kims creased their eyebrows, wondering why Jessica was talking to them in English and pretending not to understand a word they’re saying in Korean. That and she was talking with an accent. A British accent, Taeyeon could only assume from watching all of the Harry Potter movies.

 

“Motherfather, Shika!”

 

“What?” Jessica asked, scandalized.

 

“You’re making matters worse, Hyo. We should just call Tiffany and let her deal with this craziness.”

 

Sooyoung came inside the room that she was sharing with Jessica and exclaimed, “Fany’s not here. She went out for a bit to buy ice cream with Seobaby. Why? What’s happening here?”

 

“I went to your room to ask Jessica about our trip next week since we’re on vacation after that tiring promotion for Genie. I woke her up, half-expecting to be punched but instead I saw her waking up like she’s Snow White who got lost in the wood or something.”

 

“I do not understand what anyone is saying. Where are my sisters? Where am I? My father is going to give you capital punishment for taking me away from the palace. My brothers are going to worry about me…”

 

Sooyoung had the same expression on her face as Taeyeon’s and Hyoyeon’s but being the better English speaker than the two, she thought Jessica was just reciting some line from an old movie she’s seen recently. “Oh…Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou, Romeo.”

 

“Deny thy father and refuse thy name. Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love. And I’ll no longer be a Capulet. Romeo and Juliet. A tragic story of two people falling in love. Both died and…dying. I am sick. I am supposed to be sick.” She looked at herself and her hands. “Is this the effect of this sickness? My hand had shrunk but…I am feeling better than I did—“

 

“We really need Tiffany like right now. I could only understand so much English.”

 

Taeyeon scoffed. “Right. As if she’d actually be willing to talk to Sica after their huge fight the other day.”

 

“Charles. Where is Charles?”

 

“Who’s Charles?” Hyoyeon mumbled.

 

“Do you think she’s having an affair with a guy named Charles behind Fany’s back?” Taeyeon shrugged at Sooyoung’s question.

 

She ran her hand through her hair and gasped when a handful of it fell off. “This is…It is my sickness, is it not? It is getting worse.”

 

The three watched as tears fell from her eyes and as she fell on her knees.

 

“Sica, that’s not really your hair. Those are just extensions.”

 

“You have to say it in English, Taeng.”

 

Taeyeon nudged Sooyoung. “You do it.”

 

She sat beside the sobbing Jessica and patted her back. “Not real hair.”

 

She sniffed. “What?”

 

“You…short hair. This,” she held onto the extensions, “not your real hair.”

 

“I…Why would you make me worry like that then?” she bellowed and hit Sooyoung’s arm. “Why would you put such ornament on a princess’ hair?”

 

“Babo-yah, it was you who requested for it.”

 

“Did she just say princess?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“Bring me back to the palace right at this moment. I will not—“

 

She wasn’t able to finish her rant when Hyoyeon slapped her again.

 

“You insolent—“

 

“What’s happening here?”

 

The three girls who’ve witnessed the unusual acts by Jessica felt relieved when Tiffany arrived, tub of ice cream on one hand.

 

Taeyeon was the first one to grab it from her.

 

“Deal with your crazy girlfriend.”

 

The other two followed and pushed Tiffany inside the room before closing it and locking them inside.

 

“Was she talking bad about me? Was she calling me crazy?” she inquired when she heard the only English word Taeyeon said.

 

“Well, you’re…kind of acting a bit crazy, mate,” Tiffany said mockingly soon as she heard Jessica’s British accent.

 

“Mate? Do you know who you are talking to, you peasant?”

 

“Peasant? Are you kidding me right now, Jung Jessica?” She said something else in Korean that the other girl didn’t understand. She tried to calm herself down by taking deep breaths and it worked for about a second. It worked just until Jessica spoke like a snobbish girl once again.

 

“I do not know of this Jung Jessica that you’re talking about. I do not even know who you are and it is so rude not to introduce yourself and bow in the presence of a princess.”

 

Tiffany pulled on her hair and muttered something in Korean. Jessica only caught a few words but it was useless because she really didn’t know what yeoja-chingu and michyeo means.

 

When Tiffany left her inside the room, she walked around and saw a mirror. She was walking towards it but the face of the person that she was seeing was not hers. She touched her forehead, her hair, her nose, her cheek and her lips.

 

“What kind of sorcery is this?” She touched the mirror and her breathing became more ragged before she released a bloodcurdling scream that reverberated in the dorm.

 

Tiffany, who just got out of the kitchen with a spoon in one hand, heard the shriek and because of sheer worry, she bolted across the room and attended to Jessica’s aid as fast as she could.

 

“What’s wrong?” she spouted in English.

 

“I am not me. This is…this is not my face. Not me! This is not me! I want to go back to my father and my brothers and sisters! Let me go back!”

 

Tiffany held the crying girl until she grew tired, crying herself to sleep. She called in another member and Seohyun was the first one to answer. The youngest helped her in gently carrying Jessica onto the bed.

 

She thanked Seohyun and lay down next to Jessica. She told Sooyoung that she could take her room for the night and Sooyoung agreed but not without getting taunted.

 

“Oooh, make-up ?”

 

“Shut up, Soo!”

 

Tiffany didn’t eat dinner and decided to stay with Jessica until she woke up. When she finally did, Tiffany got shoved off of the bed.

 

“Jess, what the ?”

 

“What in heaven’s name do you think you are doing lying on a bed with the princess?”

 

“Jess, it’s not funny anymore. Stop it with the princess thing. I knew I shouldn’t have called you that in the first place.”

 

Jessica released a scandalized gasp and she remembered what she saw in the mirror. “I know I do not look like myself right now but I assure you that once I get back to the castle, I will tell my father and my brothers that I’ve been harshly treated by two midgets and one lanky girl. I will spare you from their wrath only because you at least tried to console me but this has got to stop. Return me to the palace.”

 

Tiffany stared at her girlfriend blankly before collapsing on the floor, clutching her stomach and laughing her off. “Oh my god, that’s really good. You’re really doing well. Is this some sort of script given to you? The accent, it’s like you’re really from England. For a second, you’ve convinced me that you’re actually a princess.”

 

“I am a princess. I am Princess Amelia, youngest daughter of King George III of the United Kingdom and I order you to take me back to the palace.”

 

“Jess—“

 

“Stop calling me with that hideous name!”

 

That’s when it dawned on Tiffany. This wasn’t Jessica. Jessica would’ve never used the word ‘hideous’ to describe her name.


“Who are you?”

 

“Must I repeat myself a hundred times before you get it? I’m Princess Amelia, daughter of King George III and Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.”

 

Tiffany felt dizzy. She couldn’t fully grasp what the girl in front of her, who looked like Jessica but is apparently a princess or so she says, was saying.

 

“You’re…”

 

“A princess, yes.”

 

She was breathing heavily as she touched Jessica’s face while the latter tried to pry her hands away.

 

“Jess…”

 

“I have told you time and time again that I am not Jessi…ca.” She watched the tears that were falling from the girls’ eyes.

 

Tiffany hugged her tightly and Jessica just sat there, frozen and her arms lying limply on her side.

 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean what I said the other day about you changing. I don’t want that. I don’t want you to change anything about you. I’m sorry, Jessie. I didn’t mean what I wished for. I’m sorry.”

 

That night, it was Jessica, or Princess Amelia or so she claimed, held Tiffany the way the latter held her while she cried herself to sleep.

 

 

---

 

 

“Fany, that’s crazy. She’s probably pranking you again. Yoong’s most likely in this prank too.”

 

Everyone looked at the second youngest member of their group.

 

“I have nothing to do with this. Leave me out of it, unnie.”

 

“I know Jessie. She’s not capable of an elaborate prank. I think this is serious, guys.”

 

Sunny pursed her lips. “Have you talked to her again?”

 

“She’s still sleeping.”

 

“Who did she say she was?”

 

“Princess Amelia.”

 

“Who’s that?”

 

“Some princess from Europe, I guess. United Kingdom to be specific since she said she’s the daughter of King George III of the United Kingdom.”

 

“Well, it’s either Jessica-unnie is really possessed by a princess’ spirit or she read some stuff on the internet about this princess because she actually exists.”

 

They looked at the website Sunny was browsing and true enough, there was a Princess Amelia that existed during the 18th century and is a daughter of one King George III, the favourite daughter and the youngest among the thirteen offspring of the King and the Queen, not counting the two that died at a young age.

 

“You’re the only one who could talk to her since she claims not to know Korean at all.”

 

“If she’s really possessed by a princess’ spirit then I hope once she gets back to normal, she’d still have that accent because it’s so damn y on her.”

 

Tiffany glared at their childish leader. “Stop fantasizing about my girlfriend, Taeng.”

 

“What? I’m just saying. It’s damn fine.”

 

Someone cleared their throat and all the girls shifted their attention to the girl standing in front of the TV.

 

“Unnie!”

 

“Jessie!”

 

Taeyeon whistled and the others just had their mouths gaping at the girl.

 

“I was unable to find a longer dress that would fit me and I usually wear those during the mornings.”

 

“So you wore the nightgown that only I was supposed to see you wearing?!”

 

“You do not have to shout! You cannot shout at a princess. You are forbidden to do that! Besides, this is not my body and I know this dress is quite revealing but we are all girls so I do not see what is so wrong at the others seeing me dressed like this.”

 

“For one, our leader is a ert and that body is my girlfriend’s body.”

 

“Girlfriend? A lover?”

 

“Yes, that kind of girlfriend. Jung Jessica. That’s supposed to be you.”

 

“I am not her right now but do tell her that she has a very fit body. One I am very envious of.”

 

The other girls who understood the gist of what she said went back to suspecting her to be Jessica who’s just pretending to be someone else and pranking them.

 

“Go back to your room and cover yourself up.”

 

The girl scoffed and said, “I will not heed to your orders or any other people’s orders. She sat on one of the chairs of the dining table.

 

“What will I be having for breakfast?”

 

“A huge plate of nothing.” Tiffany walked out of the room and she was left to stare at the other girls who were also staring back at her.

 

She figured out that they are speaking another language that she doesn’t know of but from the very short conversation she had with three of them yesterday, she concluded that they know a bit of English.

 

“Food? Breakfast?”

 

The first person to hand her a bowl full of rice with egg on top and mixed with meat and other things that she doesn’t really recognize was a girl with innocent-looking eyes. She looked like the other two girls but there was something about her face that was quite distinctive. She took a closer look at her and reckoned that it was the abnormally thick bags under her eyes.

 

“What is this?”

 

Bibimbap.”

 

“Bimbim…bop?”

 

Everyone snorted and tried not to laugh.

 

“Close enough,” Sooyoung muttered in Korean.

 

The same person who gave her the food handed her a pair of sticks and tried hard to think about what she’s supposed to do with it.

 

“Yoona-unnie, I don’t think she knows how to use chopsticks.”

 

It was like watching a toddler figuring out what the sticks are for and how to use it. Seohyun handed her a spoon and a fork which she took and used to eat the food.

 

“Mix,” Yoona uttered in English.

 

She did what Yoona told her and surprisingly enough, she enjoyed eating it and even asked for another serving. While eating, she thought of how to get out of this predicament. She realized that the only easier way to do it was to make up with the only one who could fully understand what she was saying.

 

 

---

 

 

She went back to the room she slept in last night but didn’t find a trace of the English-speaking girl. She went back to where the other girls were and tried her very best to ask them where the girl was.

 

“Do you know where I could find her? The girl who has a temper?”

 

They were all just murmuring.

 

“Do you know…where Jung Jessica’s lover is?”

 

“Tippani?” The girl who looked like the one who gave her food said.

 

“I am not sure what you are trying to say.”

 

“Tiffany,” Sooyoung reiterated with a clearer pronunciation.

 

“Tiffany? That is her name? Well where is she?”

 

“In her room,” Seohyun pointed her finger at a room that was right across Jung Jessica’s room.

 

“Thank you.” She knocked at Tiffany’s door but didn’t get any response. She knocked harder this time. The door flung open and she was now facing a ticked off Tiffany.

 

“What do you want now?”

 

“I have yet to say anything and you are already angry. This is not how you should act in front of a pr—“

 

“Princess! Yes, I got it the twentieth time you said it!”

 

She cleared . “I was just stating a fact. Now can we talk without shouting on top of our lungs? Like how civilized people would.”

 

“Are you sure you’re not pulling a prank on me, Jessica?”

 

“I thought you did not want me to reiterate myself? I have already told you that I am not Jung Jessica right now. I only have her body and face. I am not aware how this happened and I am certainly not happy about this happening. I do not even know where I am.”

 

“Okay. Get in.”

 

She walked inside and sat on the edge of Tiffany’s bed while the latter observed her every move.

 

“Where do you think you are?”

 

“A weird peasant house that is filled with unusual things and lights. I do have to say that this bed is really comfortable and plush.”

 

“You’re in South Korea.”

 

“Is that a secluded part of United Kingdom.”

 

“No. You’re halfway around the world. Now that that’s settled. What year do you think you’re in?”

 

“18—“

 

“Wrong. The year is 2009. 21st century. You’re in a different a century. How’d you think that happened?”

 

“Do you honestly think that if I know, I would still try to figure it out?”

 

“What’s the last thing you remember?”

 

“Having measles.”

 

“…Ew.” Tiffany stepped back a few feet away from her.

 

“Obviously the body of your lover is not infected with it. This is why envy her.”

 

“What else do you remember?”

 

“I remember how Charles looks like. Mary, my sister who accompanied when my father sent me to Weymouth. My father…my poor, poor father.”

 

“Your father’s a king.”

 

The princess ignored Tiffany’s comment. “The next thing I know, I was harshly woken up by this small person who later on slapped me twice!”

 

“So your spirit possessed Jessie and…does this mean Jessica’s still inside that body…how does that work?”

 

“Or maybe we switched bodies.”

 

“That’s impossible. You’re from a different century.”

 

“You have all of these weird-looking light bulbs and things that look like they would not be possible several years ago but here they are now.”

 

“So you’re telling me Jessica, my Jessica, is suffering your illness right now?”

 

“That is a possibility. She could be talking to Charles about the same thing we are talking about. People are going to think I am going insane if that is ever true.”

 

“I still don’t understand how this happened.”

 

“Is there no one here that we could talk to? Back at home we had royal advisers that would tell us who we should talk to about specific things.”

 

“We actually have that. It’s called the internet.” She opened her laptop and typed in body swap on Google. “I honestly don’t think you switched bodies with Jessie. I think it’s most likely that you just took over her body for some reason.”

 

“You really think so?”

 

“I hope so. I wouldn’t want Jessie to suffer from measles and she’s not gonna survive 19th century. There’s no air conditioner, no phones. She’s going to be so bored. She does like sleeping so maybe she could do that.” Tiffany sighed and clicked her desktop so she could stare at Jessica’s face that was set as her wallpaper. “I miss her. We had a stupid fight. A petty fight and if I never get to talk to her again because of this…I won’t be able to live with myself.”

 

“Well, at least you’d be able to marry her.”

 

“We’re both girls. I don’t think it’d be easy to marry her here.”

 

“We are on the same boat then. I can’t marry Charles because of an act that my father’s Parliament passed. He’s not exactly royalty although he has a semi-royal blood and I am a princess. If that was not enough, I probably will not be able to ask permission from a council so we could get married because I have all of these sickness.”

 

For the first time, the two girls understood what it’d be like in each other’s shoes.

 

“We need to speak to my uncle.”

 

“Is he a sorcerer?”

 

Tiffany stared at her and shook her head. “No. He practices Eastern medicine.”

 

“I do not know how that would help us but we seem to not have any other options.”

 

 

_____

lol another jeti. i started writing this when I didn't have any idea what to write about my other on-going. i forgot what inspired me to do this though.

the princess amelia i'm talking about here is the princess amelia of the united kingdom. all the info about her that i stated here are all googled 

i dunno about you guys but jessica as a princess with a british accent is like a burger that has fries sandwiched in its buns and patty. it's so good it hurts