Six

The Burden

"Juniel wake up you have school today." L.Joe hollered knocking on your half open door.

"I'm not going, please don't make me." You frowned covering your head with a pillow.

"Hey, why would I make you do something you don't want to? I'm not your parent." L.Joe said pulling your pillow off your head. "So do you want to tell me why you don't want to go?"

"I know a big secret and it's something important that could ruin my family unless I marry quickly and help cover it up." You frowned.

"Look at it this way... You we're told you are disowned and you've been removed from your home, either your father thinks you're expendable or he thinks it'll force you into the arranged marriage." L.Joe sighed before continuing. "Do you really think you can give up the person you love, just to have that man say you aren't a burden."

"How did you know about that." You asked shocked.

"It's not easy to block out his yelling, it's even harder to force ourselves to stay away during physical fights for his sake." L.Joe said tightening his grip on your blankets.

"You all knew." You frowned looking at your hands.

"I think everyone on this block knows.." He trailed off. "Well this is a sad conversation. Want to join me for some bubble tea?"

"Okay but I buy my own." You forced a smile gathering your clothes.

"I'll be waiting downstairs." L.Joe smiled closing the bedroom door. "Oh one last thing Changjo said to give you this phone." L.Joe said tossing it onto the bed before closing the door again.

-

"So oppa how does this hat look on me?" You smirked striking a pose.

"Very cute." L.Joe smiled. "How does this look on me?" He questioned making a cute pout.

"So gorgeous." You laughed handing your bank card to the cashier as you placed a few items on the counter.

"I'm sorry miss your card is declined."

"That's impossible." You said handing her your emergency card.

"Miss this one is declining as well." She frowned handing you the cards.

"Here charge it to my card." Ljoe said placing his items on the counter as well. "Let's go to the bank in a bit okay." L.Joe smirked ruffling your hair.

-

"I'm sorry Miss Choi it seems Mr. Choi has emptied your accounts." The teller said showing you her computer screen. "I'm sorry but it was a pure cash withdrawl and since his name is on your account I am unable to pull back the funds." She frowned as you fidgeted.

"Is my savings account emptied as well." You questioned biting your bottom lip.

"Yes. Oh, um theres a problem, it seems a check for Jaekyung academy is still in processing the check will bounce if your funds aren't returned.." She said with worry on her face.

"Thank you for your help." You bit into your lip more heading to the exit.

"Juniel, I can help, we can help." L.Joe said gripping your wrist.

"I'm already enough of a burden, I'll figure it out somehow."

The rest of the walk home was silent except for the occasional sniffle from you. When you arrived home there was a stack of mail on the front porch for you.

"What in the world." L.Joe exclaimed hauling the bag inside.

"Let's open them, okay." You sobbed a bit handing a stack to L.Joe.

After going through about seven letters you noticed a pattern all the letters were regretably informing you that the companies had 'filled the positions' they were offering to you. As happy as you should have been it was sad for you to see these letters because it only meant that there wasn't going to be a fallback plan if Ctech didn't reply.

"L.Joe is there anything here from Ctech industries?" You questioned scanning the letters quickly.

"Ctech doesn't send letters or any written documents they only send out via email." L. Joe laughed as if it was common knowledge.

"What? That's impossible, then how do you explain this?" You said handing him the docier.

"Where did you get this? I've only seen one of these and it was a negotiable contract." L.Joe said scanning it carefully. "Uh, I'll see you later okay, in the mean time keep this with you." L.Joe said handing you a credit card and blank check. "There's no limit and the check is already signed." he smiled leaving the house with your docier.

-

After a few hours of sitting in your room re-reading almost all the letters Ricky and Chunji knocked on the door inviting you out for dinner. Changjo magically appeared during dinner and began eating your food because 'it looked better than mine' and before you knew it you had traded plates. Chunji and Ricky were busy on their phones, and Changjo was eating your leftovers when you recieved a call from an unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Go back home now!"

"He kicked me out." You whispered before Seunghyun cut you off.

"Go back and beg him!" Seunghyun shouted into the phone.

"Please listen."

"No, not until you do what you know your supposed to, and why did you miss school! Kyungmi was looking all over for you!" he scolded and got louder. "And what was this rumor I heard of you taking off with Jonghyun and pushing Soojin when she tried to stop you yesterday."

"Oppa I swear I didn't see Soojin at all when I left yesterday, I was hardly on campus long enough for anyone to see me."

"Stop lying if you hurt her I won't hesitate to.."

"Hesitate to what? Is she the one you got pregnant! Last time I checked she was a student and underaged!" you yelled into the phone hanging up.

"Hey what was that all about." Changjo questioned

"Nothing." You hissed. "How did Seunghyun get my number?" You questioned remembering you got the phone this morning.

"I gave it to him when he asked how he could get a hold of you." Changjo sadly replied.

"How do I block his number?" You questioned handing the phone to Changjo.