Eyes Red as Blood

Castle of Glass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oh I am so sorry; I didn’t mean to scare the boy.” The vampire laughed maniacally before his bloody fangs became exposed. “But I must say…someone smells divine.” He inhaled deeply and his eyes turned bloodshot red when the endearing smell reached his nose. Donghae took a step back, and Hyukjae slowly approached the leech with a burning glare.

            “I am going to give you a chance to back off,” he said with his hand balled into a fist. “I really don’t want to kill you.” He smirked menacingly, but the vampire had no idea how powerful he was. He could only laugh. Donghae tried to calm his racing heart, and he looked over at Siwon’s still body and trembled in place. He closed his eyes immediately when he couldn’t look at all of the blood anymore. “You don’t want to do this.” Hyukjae insisted.

            “Oh but I do.” The vampire tilted his head and watched Donghae tremble. “What is he?” he frowned, “Is he what smells so delicious?” he took a step forward but Hyukjae looked ready to murder him- which was a dead giveaway to the vampire that Donghae was indeed something special. He just didn’t know what exactly. “What are you protecting?” he whispered.

            “Who are you exactly?” Hyukjae spoke up, trying to get the vampire's attention away from Donghae's sweet scent- even Hyukjae was drowning in the younger's aroma. 

            “My name is Zhoumi.” He slowly took off his top hat and bowed a bit and with a sly smile he stared at Hyukjae and placed the hat back on his head. “And I am the leader of the vampire clan so I’d be careful if I were you. You wouldn’t want a pack of bloodthirsty vampires on your trail.” He smirked and then took a step to the side, “Don’t worry, I am quite the peacemaker. Since I already killed one of your friends-“ he looked at Siwon’s still body and shrugged, “Sorry about that.” He whispered in an insincere voice. “I guess it wouldn’t be very kind of me to kill another one so soon…so I’ll let you go for now.” He flashed his bright teeth with a huge smile.

            Donghae grabbed Hyukjae arm and pulled him back a bit, “W-We should go.” He whispered.

            Hyukjae didn’t think someone like Zhoumi could be sincere, so he kept his guard up, “I guess that means we’ll see you again.” He whispered and he wrapped an arm around Donghae’s waist and they teleported away from that alternate universe. Zhoumi’s jaw dropped in complete confusion but he didn’t have time to process the possibilities because the body beside him began to stir. He smirked and knelt beside Siwon, “Welcome back.” His eyes glowed a deep red as he smiled viciously. 

 

            Donghae and Hyukjae appeared at the top of the hospital’s rooftop. He quickly released his grip from around the latter’s waist and mumbled an apology, “I’m sorry you had to see that.” He whispered sincerely and shook his head, “And I’m also sorry I didn’t save him. I should have been more careful. There are so many creatures out there that you need to be careful for Donghae.”

            “I noticed.” He whispered with a small hint of bitterness behind his tone, but he forced a small smile and shook his head. “I’m just upset about Siwon, he was a good man even though he thought I was like my father.”

            “Donghae what exactly do you know about your father?”

            Donghae looked up and stared at him for a moment before he shrugged, “I only know that so many people want something from him, and they could use me as bait to get it which is why he’s so afraid of being around me, or even near me. Is that why he has made you my guardian?” He looked down at the tattoo on the side of his wrist and smiled as he traced the lighting strike with his finger, “Thank you by the way…for saving me.” He looked up and smiled brightly at Hyukjae.

            Hyukjae smiled back, unable to keep a straight face when someone as cute as Donghae looked at him. It was odd, without a doubt, to be so close to the person he would constantly see in his head. “H-How old are you, Donghae?” Obviously he knew, he just really wanted to say something to him. 

            “Nineteen.” Donghae said with a smile, “And you?”

            “We’re the same age, Donghae.” Hyukjae answered simply. It wasn’t entirely true, but it wasn’t a lie either. They were born on the same day, but since Hyukjae was sent to the demon world he grew up much faster. Donghae looked nineteen (although his baby face and cute personality didn’t help much with the age factor) and Hyukjae looked near his late twenties, but he was technically still nineteen.

            “Oh!” Donghae beamed and nodded, “So what do you know about my father? You should know more than me, I suppose, right? Since you’re working for him and all.” He shrugged and they sat down beside one another against a wall.

            “Actually I don’t know much more than you do.” Hyukjae confessed. “I know that ever since I was a baby my life purpose was to protect you, and only you.” He looked up and met Donghae’s eyes. Donghae was taken back, he blushed deeply and stared at him. “This may sound weird but…we’re connected through something unexplainable.” He stared at the tattoo on the side of their wrists. “I used to think I was crazy because I was too connected to you…even from far away I could feel what you felt. When you were stuck in class with your teacher you would feel complete boredom, and even pain when you realized how alone you were- I shared those same feelings with you…” He whispered and then he realized how crazy he sounded. “I know it’s weird, but it’s true.”

            “How come I never saw you?” Donghae frowned in disappointment. If Hyukjae and him were connected then why didn’t he ever see him, or feel what he was feeling as well?

            Hyukjae wasn’t sure how to explain it without sounding bitter. He said it in a whisper, so that his tone wouldn’t give him away. “Because you don’t live to protect me, Donghae.” He didn’t dare look at the latter, so instead he looked away and continued, “You should get some rest. We have somewhere to be tomorrow.”

            “Are we sleeping on the rooftop?” Donghae asked in a confused tone, he even tilted his head a bit- which Eunhyuk found so adorable. Hyuk smiled to himself and shrugged lightly before he took the latter’s hand and pulled him to the side where there was a small mattress with a blankets and pillows. “Don’t worry I brought enough blankets to make sure you’ll stay warm.” He cracked a small smile when he noticed the huge smile that spread across Donghae’s thin lips, “I thought you might like this idea.”

            “I do.” Donghae looked over at him and smiled brightly.

 

 

            SungMin breathed out deeply and he slowly woke up; pain quickly surrounded his chest and he groaned out in pain. “W-Where am I?” he whispered after he looked around and didn’t recognize where he was at. He tried to sit up, but he was too much in pain to really move much. He looked all over the place and frowned when he realized he was in the middle of the forest with a thin old blanket draped over him. “Where am I?” he repeated again but this time in a louder tone.

            KyuHyun approached him cautiously and then smiled lightly when he saw SungMin’s adorable face, “Hello.” He said in a small voice and he frowned when he noticed SungMin’s scar spread across his chest. “H-How are you feeling?” he whispered.

            SungMin groaned and placed his hand over his wounds that were caused by Hyuna but he was surprised when he noticed he was all bandaged up. “Did you clean up my wounds?” SungMin asked and Kyuhyun’s expression was enough to answer his questions. “Thank you.” He could only whisper but he was sincerely grateful to him even if he unintentionally scarred him for life.  “What happened with that witch?”

            “I’m not sure honestly.” KyuHyun admitted, unable to look Sungmin in the eyes, “Don’t worry about her. If she ever tries to hurt you once more I will end her, I promise you that.” His eyes glowed a bright orange as he scanned the area. “I’m not sure what exactly she wanted with you…” he frowned.

            “Forget about her.” SungMin said simply and then inched closer to KyuHyun, “Stop, Kyuhyun.”

            “Stop what?” his voice didn’t falter.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter