Apologies

Screwed by Fate; Bound by Destiny

Three days after that incident by the lake, things got awkward between Kris and Jieun. They haven’t talked about what happened but every time they made eyes contact, Kris turns to stone and Jieun blushes. With that happening there was no way they could have talked for longer than 5 seconds. This was after the council had explained what the guests were doing here and their intentions and who the two hooded people were. It was a shock and as more questions got answered even more questions arose but the Council found it wise to just keep it to themselves for now and should be enough for the junior warriors.

Everyone now started to prepare for the big wedding. Donghae and Jessica wanted it free of magic like all the other seniors who got married. So the magi goes around the town square getting the tables, chairs and pillars for the decorations while the majae decorate everything. Ingredients for the wedding dinner will be brought in a day before the big day. It wouldn’t be much of a hassle since most food eaters are women anyway. Most majae are also trying to hold back donating blood till the d-day so that the vampires get fresh blood.

Their guests were also helping them in the preparations, Princess Nienna helped in designing the altar, huge pillars on each side twirled with floral vies and a canopy of flowers. She had her little sister Adina draw it for her. Everyone was stunned at the exceptional talent of the 4-yr old girl. Her drawing seemed to come to life that the soon-to-be-married couple couldn’t say no.

Prince Theian was also very helpful but since he wasn’t a vampire, the elves spent the nights in the guest villas that Leeteuk had made for them and mostly spent the morning out.

On this particular night, Luhan, Kai, Jieun and Suzy are off to the town square to pick the linens for the tables. They brought the vampires to have someone carry the items back.

            “Hey Jieun, did something happen between you and YiFan? I haven’t seen you talk since three nights ago.” Luhan asked out of the blue. Suzy and Kai looked at her, they were also curious about it too.

Jieun who was drinking a cup of milk tea, choked on a pearl. Luhan chuckled.

            “I guess I’ll take that as a yes.” He grinned teasingly. Jieun was still coughing and thumping on her chest nonstop. Kai laughed and gave her one hard thump in the back before she got to her bearings.

            “nothing happened, Luhan.” She wheezed and straightened up her face red from almost choking and all the coughing she did.

            “I hardly believe that’s true, Jieun.” Suzy smiled. “after all you have the look that has guilty written all over it.”

she glared at the other witch. Suzy gave Jieun her most innocent look and batted her eyelashes.

            “I don’t have guilt written all over my face coz nothing happened.” Jieun held her chin up and tried walking faster. She snapped her fingers and her milk tea disappeared.

The moon was out and the night lamps illuminated their paths well enough. The night was quiet other than the crunching of their shoes stepping on the ground and some night creatures that were out and about. Jieun wanted to just listen to those sounds and drown out the teasing her friends was subjecting her to.

            “come on tell us, we promise we won’t tell anyone.” Kai pleaded plastering on that grin on his face and knowing him, Jieun knew that grin could not be trusted.

            “right, Kai, you trusted with gossip. I’d rather trust O’dair.” She rolled her eyes at her friend remembering the blabbermouth falcon.

            “ouch, Jieun, that hurts.” He clutched his heart feigning pain and anguish. He leaned on Luhan’s shoulder and faked a sob.

            “drama queen.” Luhan muttered shoving the taller vampire away from him but he leaned on his shoulder back.

            “oh the pain, after all YiFan had already told Suho about that night.” He sniffed. Jieun suddenly stiffened and Luhan looked down on him surprised.

            “what the hell are you talking about?” Suzy asked.

Kai straightened up and started twirling like a crazy person. He stopped and leaned so close to Jieun that jumped back in alarm.

            “I mean what happened at the lake?” he said wriggling his eyebrows. Jieun gaped at him.

            “I can’t believe he told Suho! And I can’t believe he told you!” she shrieked. There was suddenly a victorious grin on Kai’s face.

            “ahhh…so something did happen!” he rejoiced. Jieun stood aghast, unable to believe that he had fallen for Kai’s trap. Luhan and Suzy were roaring with laughter. Jieun was so furious she had turned and stomped towards their destination.

            “why don’t you tell us, Jieun?” Suzy said catching up to her bumping hips with her friend.

            “no.” she replied flatly.

            “oh come on, Ji!” Luhan teased. “it’s not like he kissed you or anything.”

Bull’s eye.

Jieun went from pink to tomato red in seconds, her heart went thumping a million beats per second and the vampires had heard it and looked at each other.

            “ah haaaaaaa.” Rang the teasing tone in Kai’s voice.

            “nothing happened, so stop thinking there was.” There was finality in Jieun’s voice and Luhan and Suzy decided to take a break from getting the information out of her in case she gets mad. But apparently the memo didn’t reach Kai and kept on relentlessly teasing her.

            “tell me, did the ice prince say anything mushy? Cheesy?” he ran in front of Jieun and walked backwards. “did he leaned over you like this?”

The flush of red in Jieun’s face right now was not of embarrassment, Luhan knew, but of rage. If he didn’t stop Kai now something will definitely happen.

            “errr…Kai?” Suzy tapped Kai’s shoulder her eyes fixed on the maja.

            “what?”

            “I think you better stop it, man.” Luhan added motioning to Jieun but Kai was too dense to notice the danger signs flashing in front of him.

            “oh come on you guys it’s not like you were not curious too.” He rolled his eyes and looked at Jieun again. “so, are you not talking because the kiss was that bad?”

 

---

            “hey! Luhan!” Suho greeted as Luhan arrived. Most of the vampires were now setting up the tables with the help of some majae for the coordination and placement while others are setting up the sound system.

            “’sup, Suho.” He gave Suho a high-five. The Jonghyun, Jaejin, Chanyeol, Kris and Woohyun were with him on the stage trying to tune up the instruments and mics.

Just then the group caught sight of Kai who was stomping towards the fountain, his face sullen. Knowing that he was with Luhan earlier the group turned to look at him only to see Luhan trying to suppress a grin.

            “errr…Luhan, do we want to know what happened?” Jaejin asked with mic wires wrapped around his hand.

            “and why does he look like someone just set him on fire?” Woohyun added noticing Kai’s singed clothes and smoking hair.

            “he pissed off a certain witch.” He shrugged and shot Kris a knowing look with his round deer eyes that made the latter looked taken aback.

            “why are you looking at me like that?” he asked gruffly.

            “maybe coz he thinks you’re the maja who set Kai on fire.” Chanyeol guffawed earning him a whack to the head.

The wheels in Suho’s head started turning and then he looked at Kris then at Jieun. He had already noticed the two trying to avoid each other.

            “does this have something to do with you and my cousin trying to avoid each other?” he asked innocently. Kris snapped his head towards the other leader.

            “what do you mean?” he snapped but that just made him sound even more guilty. The rest of the guys started grinning minus Myungsoo’s brother who looked immersed in his own thoughts while trying to tune up the guitar.

            “well,” Woohyun started. “ever since the night we got back you two seemed to be avoiding each other. you may not like to talk to a lot of people but you don’t avoid them”

            “correct. You two don’t even make eye contact and that is just weird.” Chanyeol added twirling a pair of drumsticks in his fingers.

Kris remained silent but a pink tinge coated his cheeks. Luhan just kept grinning leaning back and helping Jaejin organize the mic wires.

            “you can tell us the problem maybe we can help.” Suho being the kind mage that he is offered sincerely.

Kris did want to ask someone about this but it wouldn’t be with this crowd, especially Suho since she’s his cousin. It’s just he was embarrassed about it, first he attempted to kiss her out of the blue and second he passed out on her and made her bring him back to his house. When he woke up the next evening he just wanted to hit himself or jump over his balcony.

            “yeah, tell us! it’s not like you kissed her or anything.” Chanyeol blurted out. Kris, if possible, both paled and blushed at the same time. But before anyone could notice his reaction to Chanyeol’s bold statement, Woohyun was elbowing Suho.

            “hey look, prince charming at 3 o’clock.” He whispered to the group. Kris looked up and frowned, Prince Theian was walking up to Jieun who gave him a genuine smile.

            “those two became really chummy these past days. Heard from Min they’re together a lot during the daytime teaching each other about the cultures.” Jaejin said. Kris was gripping the mic stand too tightly that a slight dent had already appeared.

            “as much as they kind of look good together in weird way nothing can come with those two. I mean he is an elf from another world.” Suho commented. “when all of this is over they’ll be going back to their world for sure.”

            “yeah but that doesn’t stop him from having some fun while he’s here.” Sniggered Luhan which earned him a glare from Kris that no one noticed.

            “seems like it’s not only the prince who set their eyes on one of our own.” Chanyeol said pointing one of his sticks to the maja two tables away from where Jieun was.

Hyosung was there with Sunhwa and Zinger but another elf was there, Grendal, the captain of the royal guard. He was helping her bring out the chairs and from the looks of it Hyosung told him he didn’t need to help, but this was a soldier with a gentleman streak.

            “Sunhwa did mention Grendal asked Hyosung to be his guide two days ago.” Jaejin commented.

The vampires turned to look at him with looks of amazement and slight disbelief. He looked at each of his friends innocently.

            “what?”

            “you gossip worse than suburban housewives.” Luhan replied with a blank face. Jaejin looked unaffected.

            “don’t blame me if I’m popular with the witches, man.” He bragged. The rest of the group just shook their heads at him.

Suddenly a low growl to their right was head. The vampires’ ears perked, they all turned towards the sound and saw Jonghyun’s face burning with rage.

            “Jonghyun-ah, you ok?” Kris asked as he was nearest to the mage. Jonghyun didn’t reply, Kris was about to tap his shoulder when he suddenly stood up and marched angrily towards the table where Hyosung and Grendal was.

            “uh oh! I smell trouble.” Chanyeol said as he stood up almost the same time as the others.

            “what has gotten into that guy?” Jaejin wondered out loud as they debated whether to stop their friend or just observe at a distance first.

Before they could even decide what to do Jonghyun had already grab Hyosung’s wrist and dragged her away from the group and out into the forest. All those who saw stood gaping at the pair confused of what just happened.

Sunhwa and Zinger started whispering with each other while Grendal just stood awkwardly in front of them.

            “is there anything going on between those two?” Luhan asked their group.

            “I am not sure but Jonghyun is acting kind of strange these past few weeks.” Jaejin replied looking at the point where the mage and maja disappeared.

            “you don’t think he actually has feelings for Hyosung, do you?” Chanyeol asked innocently.

The rest of the boys shrugged but at that moment Kris’ eyes wandered off to Jieun who hasn’t too preoccupied with what she was doing to have noticed what just happened. Kris’ mind gave no answer as to why he did what he had done three nights ago but whenever he thought about what had occurred, his heart started beating really fast and he felt another urge to attempt to do it again but when he stops and tries to think of a logical reason to it, his mind could give him no answer. It was his frustrating dilemma.

But when Chanyeol asked that question something in him stirred. Did he like Jieun?

 

----

 

The wedding ceremony was short but very beautiful. Jieun might have had lend a hand with the preparations but the actual day still managed to take her breath away. The vision Donghae in a tuxedo and Jessica in a white gown was something out of a fairytale.

The wedding may have had to be done after the sunset when the rays have completely gone but the bright light from the moon courtesy of the moon and sun king was truly magical. The sprites came out and flew around the couple when they sealed their vows with a kiss. It looked like an explosion of magic.

Yesung and Rin lent a flock of flower birds for the wedding, which flew above the newlyweds when they walked down the isle and showered them with petals, which fell from their wings.

Now the music has started and the party has begun full swing.

Senior majae and magi rocked the dance floor, there were no awkward glances from the younger ones; they were used to it and the seniors were pretty good at performing. Jonghoon and Yonghwa’s team took turns playing the band and keeping everyone entertained.

            “why are you here and not dancing?” a low, gruff voice behind Jieun asked, she turned and saw her uncle, Siwon with one brow raised.

            “I’m just trying to take everything in slowly, oppa. This is the very first wedding I’ve witnessed ever since I came here after all and everything is just new to me.” she replied and Siwon took the empty seat beside her.

            “I bet it’s very different from what you’re used to seeing.” He chuckled.

            “yeah, every wedding is beautiful but…”

            “mage weddings add a little spark of magic.” Siwon finished her sentenced, Jieun looked at him straight in the eyes and he winked mischievously, which made her laugh out loud.

            “speaking of magic, Donghae oppa and Jessica eonni are bonded now right?”

            “yes, why?”

            “I was just wondering how that worked. I mean they are now connected in mind, body and soul. How did that happen?” she asked. Siwon gave her a small smile, like what a father might give to their child who just asked how weddings worked.

            “did you see the gold lights around them after the sprites left?” Jieun nodded. It happened right after they kissed. “when a share the ceremonial kiss or the bond kiss, each of them reaches for their magic and stretch it out to their partner. Once the magic touches each other, a sort of link or chain forms locking it together. However, it can only be sealed after the consummation of the marriage.”

Jieun suddenly blushed. She didn’t know if she regretted asking the question. Siwon sensed her blush and laughed.

            “it’s ok kid, you’re old enough to known these things anyway. No need to be so shy about it.” she frowned at her uncle.

            “I just didn’t expect it that’s all.” she suddenly became silent. “I wonder if my parents’ wedding was as beautiful as this.” She unconsciously said her thoughts out loud but Siwon answered her anyway.

            “they were married before we changed so what they had was the traditional wedding years before. Hyung was very…charming, back then.” He sounded uncomfortable, probably because he’s complimenting a fellow man. Jieun had to hold back a grin.

            “and mom?”

            “she was beautiful of course, my brother had to keep himself from smiling.” He laughed. “our families were from great military line so it was natural they would be betrothed. But even before their betrothal they were already in love with each other so there wasn’t any problem, they were happy to agree to the marriage.”

Jieun sighed happily imagining the scene. Her parents married and happily in love. She looked at Siwon again.

            “how about your wedding then, oppa? Did you and eonni get married before you transformed too?”

with that a huge grin appeared on his face.

            “no, Yoona and I knew each other before we transformed but just got married after. I was betrothed to another woman and she to another man.” Jieun looked at him with a confused expression.

            “huh? But when you transformed...? were you two in love?” much to her surprise he laughed out loud.

            “we weren’t in love nor were we in love with the ones we were betrothed to. The family of the man she was supposed to marry betrayed the emperor and in doing so wiped out a lot of the emperor’s supporters, which included the family of the woman I was betrothed to.”

from Jieun’s shocked expression Siwon knew she was astonished why he could laugh off such a tragedy.

            “you don’t need to look at me like that, Jieun-ah, I helped her and her mom escape to a small town but in helping them to escape, our engagement had to be broken off since I can’t marry someone who is in hiding. My family could not do anything about her father though.” He let out a sad sigh. “we may not be in love but we were good friends.”

            “she lived well with her mom, right?” Jieun asked. Siwon nodded.

            “she got married to a farmer a few years after she went away.”

            “that’s good to know.” Jieun smiled to herself, at least there was a tiny happy ending to every historical tragedy. She didn’t press on, as she knew how that war ended. “so how did you and Yoona eonni got together?”

            “your uncle accidentally tripped while carrying a bunch of firewood some years after our change.” Jieun whipped her head around and saw Yoona gliding her way towards them. Siwon already knew she was coming through their bond and just gave her a peck on the cheeks.

            “more like Heechul tripped me.”

            “yeah, right.” Yoona laughed disbelieving his claim then looked at Jieun. “I saved him from embarrassment, let’s keep it at that.” She winked.

Jieun laughed but her laughter soon died down and a smile was all that’s left on her face. The couple in front of her were gazing at each other with such love and devotion that she felt she should look away. It was so private but at the same time too beautiful to look away. The feelings they have for each other; their lifetime commitment was truly awe-inspiring. And to think they have been together for centuries now and they can still look at each other like newlyweds was definitely something to be envious of, not to mention they already have a 40 something year old son.

Jieun sighed.

            “must great to have someone like you two have each other.” Jieun accidentally said her thoughts out loud again and she blushed realizing what just came out of . But Siwon and Yoona just looked and smiled at her affectionately.

            “don’t worry, kid, you’ll find the one for you eventually. I mean it took us 53 years to get together, Donghae and Jessica took what…600 something years?”

            “and when the time comes, no matter how short or long you have waited it will always be worth every wait.” Yoona gave her a smile and tenderly touched her cheek before Siwon stood up and led his wife to the dancefloor.

Jieun was still preoccupied at admiring the couple that had just left the table when a hand appeared in front of her.

            “may I have this dance?” Jieun looked up and saw Theian smiling dazzlingly down at her.

            “of course.” She replied and placed her hand on his.

Carefully leading her to the dancefloor, Theian spun Jieun once before gently pulling Jieun towards him and placing his hand on her hips as they began to dance to the slow song the band played.

            “your people do beautiful weddings. I am greatly impressed.” He said.

            “I am glad we pleased you, your high…I mean Theian.” She blushed at her mistake. “to tell you the truth though this is the first wedding in Mt.Shia that I’ve ever attended.”

            “why? You didn’t attend the others?”

Jieun shook her head.

            “it’s not that. This is just the first wedding ever to happen since I got here.”

            “oh. Then I apologize for my swift assumption.”

            “it’s ok.” Jieun softly laughed and Theian twirled Jieun gracefully and elegantly that her pastel blue gown rippled like water around her.

            “you, my dear lady, are an excellent dancer.” He complimented as he pulled her back to him. Jieun felt her cheeks burn.

            “I have a great partner.” She replied. Theian stared at her smiling for a moment. He opened his mouth to say something but a low, almost growling voice interrupted them.

            “may I cut in?” Jieun looked up and saw Kris towering over her. His expression was courteous but she knew this was his Kris-the-actor mask. He clearly put it on to not appear disrespectful to the royal guest.

            “certainly, may you enjoy the dance with the lady as I have.” Theian gave a bow and kissed Jieun’s hand, which made her blush again.

Theian handed Jieun’s hand to Kris who took it from him and moved in front of Jieun snaking his hand around her waist that gave her and inexplicable sizzle all over her spine and goosebumps on her skin.

Kris’ jaw was set rigid. He didn’t know what came over him and cut her dance with the elf prince but he knew he just had to. He acted on impulse clearly but it was an act he did not regret. He may not regret it but he also don’t know what to say to Jieun and he hope she wouldn’t notice how his heart was thumping loudly in his chest. This is not the first time he danced with her but it felt like the time he went to his first celebration and had to dance for the first time like this. He felt conflicted about what he felt. He’s nervous but at the same time very happy to feel her in his arms like this. His eyes started to wander all around the dance floor and his eyes zeroed in to the couple dancing near the band.

Jonghyun and Hyosung were dancing together, their eyes looking like they were in own separate world with just the two of them. They were looking like how bonded couples look at each other, with love and devotion in their eyes. Kris looked away and down to his partner who he could still sense was blushing madly. It made him feel lighthearted and he felt like smiling, but he held it in.

            “Jieun-ah, about what happened that night.” He paused and cleared his throat. Jieun was surprised at his sudden speech looked up and met his eyes.

They both froze, eyes fixed on each other and as much as they wanted to look away they couldn’t. They still swayed to the music but they began to get into their own world; the people on the dance floor started to disappear one by one even the band was started to fade away. All they were aware of was each other.

            “what…what about that night?” Jieun broke the silence. Kris looked like something in his head snapped and his eyes widened a tiny bit then softened.

            “I have to apologize to you.”

Jieun felt her heart stop beating. For some reason, she didn’t like him apologizing to her for attempting to do what he did; deep inside her she felt she wanted that to happen.

            “oh, I…there’s no need for apologies, YiFan.”

            “no, there is. I may have offended you in some way so I am sorry.”

This time Jieun managed to look away. With the eyes contact gone, everything seemed to appear again. The people were there, the band still played. They came out from their own world even before they could fully enter.

            “it’s ok.”

            “and there is another thing I need to apologize to you about.”

Jieun turned her head towards her partner and started at his chest, noticing he ed one of the buttons on his black dress shirt.

            “what is it?”

            “I am sorry if I offended you.” He started. “and again I am sorry because I do not regret what I did.”

Jieun was so surprised she gasped and looked up to Kris who was smiling down at her. Jieun was turning pale and blushed at the same time if that was even possible.

Kris pulled her closer until she was pressed so close against his chest that she could feel his heart thumping like mad. His warmth and scent filled her senses and sending it to overdrive. She exhaled after realizing she was holding her breath and suddenly felt relaxed and comfortable as if this was the place she belonged; in his arms like this.

Still swaying to the music, she leaned her head against his chest and a smile appeared on both their faces.

---

sorry for the super late update! i had this chapter for a long time now but i couldnt post until i have the next chapter but then i still didnt have it and it's already been too long so i posted this.

the time is coming guys!;

0