one.

One Gamer, One Life

Soojung walks on the streets heading home, seemingly tired. Her beautiful but bloodshot eyes glance around nervously--the only hint of an emotion as the rest of her face is blank. 

The reason she is so cautious is because she doesn't want to run into the Choi family on her way home. In fact, she doesn't want anyone to see her walking home. If anyone had a home like hers, they would feel the same. She is already teased as a gamer; she doesn't want to be teased about her home life too. She sighs a big sigh, the type of big sigh that people sigh when they feel burdened and don't want to do what they have to do, the type that if you measured it, it would weigh over a ton.

She speed-walks past the Choi's small but neat cottage with her head down, hair in her face so no-one would recognize her. Then she turns into a small street on the right of the big street, where it's the total opposite of the street it branches off from.

The previous street had been nice and pretty, with a cheery and bright atmosphere, while the cracked sidewalk she is walking on is part of a dark and shadowed, gloomy and dirty neighborhood. Anyone seeing pictures of these two neighborhoods would think they were far, far apart from each other.

She casts a longing glance back at the street she had just walked out of, and sighs that big, heavy sigh again. She walks almost all the way to the end, where a small rundown house stands weakly. This time, instead of sighing, Soojung breathes in deeply, preparing herself for what's to come-- even if she knows what to expect.

"I'm home, mother."

 

•          •     

 

"Mom, Jinri, I'm here!" Minho yells to the direction of the living room while zooming up to his room upstairs. There he throws his bag on the bed and runs impatiently downstairs again to the rest of his family, minus the father, of course.

"So what did I miss?" he asks as he simultaneously glues his eyes to the TV exactly as the women were.

"Oh, nothing much," Jinri replies absentmindedly, reaching for the popcorn on the coffee table next to her. "She just proposed, see, and he's kind of sad now and...." She trails off, deep in the world of the drama.

"Just the usual drama, Minho," his mom tells him, her eyes also on the TV screen.

As the family watches an episode of their favorite drama, the bell rings loudly. At first, no-one moves (since they are too engrossed at the moment), but when it rings again accompanied by a loud bang, they all snap back into reality and all three stares at the front door. When an enraged shout is heard along with the sound of crashing glass, the mother of the family hurries to the door with her children hot on her heels.

She opens the door cautiously, peeking out of the door in worry. "Who is it?"

"Have you seen a girl?" A women of around the mid-thirties stands at the door, blocking the way with her large body figure. (NOTE: she's not fat. Just, you know, large as in height and a bit of weight as well as muscle.)

"Um, no?"

"A sophomore girl, average height, brown eyes, brownish long hair? Wearing uniform from school?" She asks again, panting angrily. Minho thinks, there's probably thousands of girls like that in Korea. Of course, being the polite gentleman he is, he says none of that out loud.

"No, Miss...?" his mother answers carefully. Instead of answering her, the women curses loudly and angrily, a look of pure hate in her eyes. "Well,  when you see her, call me. The number's..." She rattles off a number, and leaves still in anger not bothering to thank them.

The three family members exchange puzzled glances and shrugs, going back to the TV as if nothing had happened. Once again, they become engrossed in the drama. When the most interesting part is about to come, the doorbell typically rings again. They all groan, since none of them want to leave the comfortable sofa again.

"You go, Minho-oppa. You're the oppa."

"Well, you're the youngest. So you have to go." (NOTE: to those who don't know, the youngest in Korea has to usually do lots of more tasks than others. It's their culture.)

"Not fair. I want to watch this part!"

"So do I. So go. I'm ordering you."

"But-"

"Go, Jinri. You guys are getting noisy," their mother butts in, which makes Jinri pout and mutter under her breath about how being youngest is unfair. "And didn't I tell you to not mutter?" She sighs and sulkily goes to the door while Minho and his mom sits watching the drama.

"Hello?" Jinri grumpily asks. "Anyone?" She opens the door, still pouting. Her pout stops when she realizes nobody is there, and she looks around in surprise because she had just noticed it was raining for the first time. "Huh. No-one?" She then glances briefly down, half-expecting to see a small fairy or dwarf or elf or something (since she's a big fan of fantasy and fiction).

What she sees, instead, is a small yellow Post-It note, slightly wet but still legible. She takes it and reads those words, and turns to her mother. "Mom?"


First real chapter done! It's not very long again, but at least it's longer than the prologue. -_- AND! Just to be clear, I re-edited chapter 1/prologue. So now, Yesung is not the class clown, he's the super-social-know-everything-notice-everything guy. That's who Minho texted. Donghae is the class clown now, because I can just imagine Donghae joking around while Yesung seems more like the you-don't-know-me-but-I-know-you type of guy. Got it? Good. Please keep reading on--I'll try to update faster. Which is not easy. Oh well. Bye! :)