two.

One Gamer, One Life

"Mom?" Jinri goes to her mom, holding the yellow note in hand. "I think you better read this."

Annoyed at being interrupted from the good part, she quickly takes the note out of Jinri's hand and scans it in an almost bored, irritated manner. As she reads on, though, a concerned and baffled expression takes over her face from the frown she had. "Do you know who this is, Jinri?" She asks, pointing to the small name at the bottom.

"Oh, yeah, she goes to our school. She's my grade, but I don't really know her. Hey Minho-oppa, do you know who Soojung is?"

Minho hadn't been paying attention to the puzzling conversation going on but focusing on the drama with his intense concentration. At the sound of his name, he turns to her. "Soojung? Yeah. She's in my math class. Why?" His mom then wordlessly hands him the mysterious note.

"Dear Choi family: Hello. You must be curious who that woman that has just come up to your door is. She's my mom, and she's searching for me. I'm hiding from her, but please don't report me to the police or to her. Please, I beg you, please let me stay hidden. And if she ever comes to you again but you don't want her to, then try to act nosy. She hates nosy people. Thank you, Soojung..." he reads out loud, his voice getting more and more confused by the moment. "Soojung? That was her mom?" The other family members looks just as confused as he is. "What should we do, mom?"

"Well..." Mrs. Choi looks a bit stressed about the subject, but confidently says, "let's just do as she says. Remember that woman? She had a soju bottle in her hand, for goodness sake. That Soojung girl could be abused." At that, the three nods and goes back to the drama. Because believe it or not, all three, including Minho, are quite drama addicts.

 

•           

 

Soojung breathes a silent sigh of relief as she hears the Choi family decide to follow her instructions. she winces and almost cries out in pain as she stands up, but luckily she catches myself in time and bites her tongue. She sigh again (Boy, do I sigh a lot these days, she thinks) and goes to the only place where nobody cares about how you look like or what kind of family you have--also her favorite place. The PC room.

Soojung groans in both pain and frustration as her equally beautiful avator loses another life. Her fingers move like lightning as she works to beat the level 55 monster in Werton War II, then checks the time for about 0.1 seconds. She realizes she had spent the whole night there, playing, and it is almost time for her to go to school. She starts to stand up again, but then yells out involuntarily as she feels her wounds blossom with pain.

"You okay back there, Soojung?" The PC room manager asks. Since she comes here often, the manager knows her well and even gives her a 10% discount. 

 "Yeah," she calls back. The corner she sat at is dark, so the manager can't see her wounds. And she doesn't want him to know, either. "Just... My avator lost his last life."

"Oh," he says sympathetically. As another game holic, he knows how she feels. "Well, cheer up dear. And don't you have to go to school?"

"No, our school had a district meeting thing this week and it's really important or something, so we don't have to go to school for the next 4 days."

"Ah. Well, you should at least go home." She lets out a hollow laugh, and shakes her head. "Fine. It's not the first time you spent a day here."

"Thank you so much, Mr. Lee."

"No, thank you, Soojung. You're our best customer," Mr. Lee jokes around, which makes Soojung laugh again, but this time for real. "You're welcome here whenever you want to come here."

Soojung grins at him, and turns back to the computer screen. After a moment of thought, she logs out of the game she was playing, and opens up the Internet to search for her future.

 

•     •         

 

"Soojung?" the teacher calls out but he is met with silence. "Soojung Jung, are you there?" Again, his question is met with silence. All the students look around the room, looking for her. Not finding her, the teacher shrugs and marks her absent.

"Looks like she finally cut class for games," Donghae whispers, which brings out a few chuckles and a glare from the teacher. Minho doesn't respond; in fact, he is in a small state of shock and surprise. Soojung was the girl who left the note, right? he thinks to himself. Why is she absent? Is something really wrong?

"Minho! Are you listening?" He looks up to see the teacher staring at him. To get out of trouble, he nods. "Then what were we talking about?" At this, he panics a bit but doesn't show it. Instead, he looks at the teacher with a calm expression.

For a second, he reads what was on the board, and answers. "You were talking about the importance of respect because this morning at the assembly we were very noisy. You were scolding us," he guesses.

"...right. So you were listening. Moving on..." He exhales softly in relief and actually tries to pay attention to the teacher this time.


Hi folks! It seems like I got a few subscribers now... Thank you thank you thank you!!!! Awesome people, subscribing even if my writing skills are bad. :'( Thanks again. And the couples were chosen! Now, this wasn't chosen by me, in fact. My friends all gathered and took a vote (because I was too lazy to make one online) and the results are out. The final couples are LuNew, KhunToria, and Jonghyun all left alone! Or I might make a love triangle. Not sure. I just go with the flow of the story. I'm sorry for those who wanted other couple settings (?) but it was decided as this. Anyways, thanks for supporting!