five.

One Gamer, One Life

[Note: After endless arguing, Soojung stays at the Choi's house. It has already been a week since she has come to that decision.]

Soojung decides she had stayed and bothered the family for too long, and gets ready to leave. As she packs without anyone noticing, Jinri and Minho bursts in the room with bright smiles on their faces.

"Omigosh Soojung!" Jinri says excitedly. "You won't believe this-" She stops, staring at the aforementioned and frownng. "What are you doing?"

She stands up from where she was carefully packing her favorite books and says quietly, "I think I've stayed too long. I'm just getting ready to leave."

"Well, then, no need for that!" With this sentence, Jinri's smile from before replaces the frown that had appeared after noticing what Soojung was doing. "We have an idea! It's a really, really, really good idea, and you wouldn't believe it. It's awesome! It's amazing! It's fantastic! It's plainly perfect! It's so good that we can't even believe we came up with it. Goodness gracious, it's really great."

Jinri probably would have continued on praising the idea if Minho had not stepped in and reminded her to tell her what the idea actually is. "Since your mom is looking for you for whatever reason it is, you can't continue living as Soojung. Wait. Do you speak any other language then Korean fluently?" Jinri asks, seemingly random.

"I'm fluent in English," Soojung offers. Her quiet demure-ness contrasts greatly with Jinri's enthusiasm.

"Great! We'll change your name into an English one. Awesome. So on with the plan! Our big plan is that we change your identity, which we've got covered, and send you to another school and your mom will never be able to find you! We'll change your appearance by cutting your hair and coloring it, which totally can change how you look like. And--"

"And we've been thinking that we can have some girls to live with you, like a group of friends, so they can back you up. Jinri can live with you, and I can live near, too," cuts in Minho. He's actually as excited as Jinri, but is better at containing.

"Yeah. That too. Actually, I'm going to ask my mom about that right now. Isn't it great? Do you agree to it?" At that moment, the younger of the siblings suddenly gets an urge to twirl around and clap her hands like a little kid, but manages to suppress the urge in fear of looking silly at this very serious (or so she thinks) moment.

While her same-age friend is suppressing her urge, Soojung thinks. Again, two sides of Soojung argue about this, too.

Isn't it great?

Seriously? Are you asking me that?

So you agree? It's great.

In fact, the total opposite.

What now?

Are you going to live off the Choi's forever? What if they go bankrupt because of you?

Well, I don't know. Would they?

Just feeding you costs money, and now you want them to buy you a whole apartment? Seriously? Ever noticed this is a divorced family, Soojung?

Of course I did. And I didn't ask for the money. They're offering to do this for me.

A single mom with two kids. In school, too. That's overtime work already, but feeding you probably added in even more overtime time. Aren't you at least feeling guilty?

...

And. By the looks of their "whole new Soojung" plan, it seems like they'll register you in as a new citizen. That's not cheap. You should know--you're his daughter, after all.

Was. Not now, not anymore. I'm not his daughter anymore. He denies me as a daughter, I deny him as a father. We have no relationship together. And why is this suddenly out?

Because it's interrelated.

Who are you anyways?

I call myself Soojung's voice of logic. Self-titled, but accurate.

Well, I don't know what you are--

Voice of logic? Hello? Weren't you listening?

--but I'm going to ignore you already and go with my original decision to accept the offer.

You're going to regret it, I tell you. One day you'll be crying, "I should've listened to the voice of logic in me."

Yeah right.

If I were you, I wouldn't accept.

What choices do I have left? Be homeless?

No. Get a job, don't bother the Choi's anymore. Simple as that.

Ugh. Bye, annoying voice.

Hey, I'm the voice of-

Bye. Period.

Soojung returns to the time and day she's actually in and looks at Jinri in the eye, takes a deep breath, and says, "Yes. I'm in." At those three words, Jinri fails to suppress her urge again and twirls while clapping her hands like a child, and Minho smiles hugely, unable to contain his happiness.

"Let's go tell mom! Come on guys!" Excitedly, Jinri motions them to follow her as she skips down the hall to the kitchen.

"Mom! I have a great idea!"

"You mean we have a great idea," Minho corrects his sister as he comes in the kitchen too.

"Yeah. We have a great idea."

"I'll explain. So Soojung is from the US, an only child, who was living as an illegal foreignor there. She was self-taught by her parents, who are killed in an unfortunate boat crash together while she was home. She came here because she was your niece or something, to live with you. So we're going to change her name and her appearance so she doesn't look like her anymore.

"Jinri will be living with her friends nearer to her school, which is better in education and cost. I live with another group of friends, too. So she comes to live with you but she becomes lonely, so you send her to Jinri's where they all live together for school. Her friends are there to provide support for her story," Minho says in one big breath.

"What?" Shocked at the sudden speech, she stares at Minho a little dully.

"Soojung is an only child of an illegal foreignor family in the US, where she was self-taught--"

His mother stops him from repeating everything again. "No, I got that. Just, well, surprised."

"Sorry. Take your time, mom. We have plenty."

"So let me clean this up," she says after a moment of thinking. "Soojung has a new identity, and this is her back story." They all nod. "And I'll be living alone in this house with the two of you living elsewhere." They nod again, but a bit more hesitantly this time.

"Oh dear." She sits down on a nearby kitchen table, looking weak. "I knew the day would come when I have to part with you guys, but I didn't expect it to be this near," she says faintly.

"Mrs. Choi," Soojung steps forward. "You don't have to live here if we decide to continue with this plan. Staying here in the open space will make you more lonelier, so you should move to nearby the two places your kids will live in. That way you can see your children as much as you want, but still have a much cleaner and smaller apartment to your own.

"By selling this house, it will help with the plan. This house is obviously very good in quality, fairly new. Selling the house will make lots of money, actually. Registering someone as a new citizen isn't cheap, so you can spend some money there, and you can buy your new apartment easily with that money. Also, you can put in some into renting our separate places, too. I have some saved money also, which can help with the rent for the first couple of months."

When Soojung finishes, the response she gets is silence. The whole family was shocked at the amount of words she had just said, because this was the most she'd ever said until now. Seeing their reaction, Soojung becomes self-conscious once more and ducks her head, letting her hair fall forward and hide her face.

"Well, great idea, kids! I like it, thanks," Mrs. Choi speaks first, recovering fast (since it's her second shock of the day). "If we do as you guys say, we can pull this off, easy. But what about the friends? It can't be your friends, since they know you and the real story. And I need to know how trustable they are, too."

Jinri, also, manages to recover (young blood. Hehe) fast and answers. "We can use your friend's daughters and sons, people we know are trustworthy but aren't that close. For example, mom, your Gardening Club's president's daughter. What's her name?"

"Qian?"

"Yeah, her. You always said she was responsible and trustworthy."

"Yes, that would be a good idea," Minho says at last, finally recovering (I don't know what his problem is. -_- haha just kidding.). "I know a few people, too, that I can trust."

"Me too," Soojung adds in softly. They all nod happily in agreement.


Hello folks. You know, this chapter was painful. I actually completed the whole thing without even pausing once, and then I accidentally pressed delete and went back a page, and all my work was gone. :( I was actually going to make the chapter longer, but my fingers hurt from typing the same chapter twice, so I decided not to. Please keep loving this fanfic, thanks to all subscribers, old and new. The rest of SHINeeEffects are coming :) Anticipate it. Well then, that's that. Comments are greatly appreciated. Have fun!