seventeen.

One Gamer, One Life

FLASHBACK

Minho walks down the hallway fast, trying to catch his little sister to walk home together. He knows her last class for the day is Science, so he goes to the door of the freshman science class and waits for her to come out. As he waits, he fiddles with his phone, and finds himself in the messages section, rereading the information about Soojung again.

"...and Sooyeon's sister." "Sooyeon?" He says aloud. Who in the world was Sooyeon? He sighs, and texts Yesung again. "Who is Sooyeon, Soojung's sister?" In moments, he recieves a reply.

What's all this interest in the Jung family? Anyways, Sooyeon and Soojung, they're the beauties. Except Sooyeon's more outgoing, that's all. Sooyeon Jung, oh man. Anyways, that's my opinion. Sooyeon is a Junior, class president, and is pretty popular. She's known for her singing, which is just as beautiful as her face. But again, that's my opinion. Back to the subject; I think she lives with a bunch of friends instead of her real home since her freshman year, but I don't know. I wasn't there when she was a freshman. I'm still a sophomore, remember? And she's really nice and kind to everyone. That's all.

He quickly sends out a thank you and looks into the window of his sister's class. He sees her talking with her group of friends, and manages to catch her eye. He waves at her to come out, and he sees Jinri telling her friends something and waving bye.

"Jinri," he says when she comes out. "Let's go home together." Jinri looks at him curiously. They didn't really, well, communicate with each other at school for some reason they had agreed before.

"Come on!" Minho says urgently. "I have to tell you something."

"Fine. Let's go then," his sister shrugs.

When they are almost out of sight of the school, he says, "That Soojung, the one who sent us the yellow note?" Jinri nods. "She was absent today."

"Really? Why?"

"How should I know? I only know that fact, that's all."

"Oh."

"And I have a question."

"Yes?"

"You're the sophomore president, right?"

"Yeah."

"Do you happen to know who Sooyeon is?"

"The junior president?"

"Yup."

"Yeah, why?"

"She's Soojung's sister."

"What! No way!"

"Yes way."

"Seriously?"

"For once and for all, yes! Do you have her number?"

"Yeah, I'll try call her."

"Thanks." The two of them shake hands in a playful but somewhat serious way and walks home talking about other things. And then they reach home, and hears sounds of their mother talking to someone quietly. The siblings exchange questioning glances and opens the door to find Mrs. Choi fixing someone up.

"Who is she?" Jinri asks.

"Soojung."

 

•       •       •       •

 

 

 

**NOTE: This happened after they came up with the idea to create a 'new Soojung' and she approved, but before they met the friends they'll end up residing with.**

 

"So oppa, what should we ask?" Jinri twirls a strand of her hair-- a habit o hers when she is thinking deeply.

"Permission for our plans? Soojung and her mom? If she wants to help?" Minho mussles his hair in frustration. "Or all three?"

The two fall quiet, both searching their minds for things to write. After a long, mutual silence, Jinri finally speaks. "Let's just tell her our current situations, that we're concerned, and if she could contribute some of her knowledge into our situtation. That is, if she has any." Her brother pats her head as if to agree, and turns to the blank, white sheet of paper.

If they could, they would have called, e-mailed, or even texted to Sooyeon Jung, but even Yesung didn't know her private number or e-mail. However, the class know-all (and also the secretary's helper) knew her address, of hwich is shared with her friends. And so the Choi sibling's only option was to use letters for communication.

Currently, Minho writes cramped yet precise Korean letters to express what he wants to accentuate. he fills up one side of the page, flips it over and starts continues to write. When he is done with explaining, he faces his watching sister. "Now what?"

Jinri, who had been reading over his shoulder, clears . "I dictate, you write. Agreed?"

Minho nods. He poises his mechanical pencil over the piece of paper.

"Okay, get ready. Here I go. 'We are very concerned about whatever is going on. Soojung is clearly...' What's another word for stubborn?"

"Unresponsive?"

"Close enough. 'Soojung is clearly unresponsive, but as her close friends we can't help but wnat to help out her obvious... Troubles.'"

"Go on," Minho scribbles neatly, black contrasting the pure white as words form and sentences appear.

"Um... 'We would very much appreciate it if you can contribute some information, whatever you know, to lessen our worries and help out Soojung. Any information regarding her and her family ties, parenthesis including the mother if possible.' Did you get it?"

After a minute or two, Minho nods once.

"Continuing on. 'If you can talk to us in person, or perhaps be kind enough enclose your private e-mail address or phone number in your reply, we would be entirely grateful.' Gee, I sound so mature, don't I? Anyways," Jinri quickly gets back on track when Minho groans loudly. "'You can reach us at this address'-- we'll have our address on the front, oppa-- 'or through our e-mail address, thetruthwillrise@koreamail--"

"Hold on," her brother cuts in. "Why yours?"

"Well, you never check your e-mail, and I always check mine," Jinri points out.

"Still, I'm the older brother. It should be mine."

"Fine, then let's use both. '...or through our e-mail adresses, [email protected] and [email protected].' Happy?"

"Is this all?" he says instead of answering her sarcastic question.

"No, of course not. 'Our phone numbers are also available. 010-4768-1311, or 010-8905-6485. Thank you for taking the time to read this. From'-- no, 'Sincerely'-- no. 'Love'?" Jinri's twirling hand moves faster and faster, and she scrunches up her nose in thought. "We're not close enough for that. Oh! I got it. Wait for it, wait for it, wait for it... 'With Respect'. Who's the genius here, huh? Yup, it's me, Jinri Choi, the one and only."

Minho rolls his eyes. "So, With Respect?"

"Yes."

"Okay. 'With Respect, Minho and Jinri Choi."

"Wait! What? Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why 'Minho and Jinri Choi'?"

"Why not?"

"Why not? Why not why not?"

"Why not why not what?"

"Okay, this is getting confusing. Why must it be like that? I dictated it."

"Well, I wrote and dictated the first part, the super long explanation part."

"But I've dictated the short but hard part! You only wrote facts, I thought of the smart-sounding, pleasant-to-read, professional stuff. Jinri and Minho Choi."

"No. Elders first, little girl. What I say, goes. Minho and Jinri Choi."

"Gah! Fine, next time I write and get Jinri and Minho Choi."

Minho's eyes widen, as he knows Jinri's handwriting is awful when she wants it to be. And it would definitely be the time she'd want to write messily. "Fine. Compromise, okay? The Choi siblings. Agreed?"

"Agreed." Unbeknownst to Minho, Jinri had anticipated that Minho would think what he had thought and would negotiate with her. She smirks behind his writing back, and sticks out her tongue for a good measure.

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

Currently, the brother and sister hold their breath as they slowly unfold the letter. The moment she has a full view of the paper, Sulli's eyes widen. Her mouth opens and closes like a fish, then her eyebrows furrow.

"What? What is it?" an anxious brother breathes out.

Before speaking, his sister scans the page again, as if to make sure of what she is seeing. She finally reads aloud, "Please don't care for my sister's businesses. Signed, Sooyeon Jung."

They stare at each other, with Sulli's initial look of shock and confusion now transferred to Minho. Then the paper is snatched from Sulli's hands and Minho also searches the paper for other marks other than the sentence his sister had read aloud. Sure enough, however, there's only that sentence smack dab in the middle of the page, with her name signed below it.

The confusion and desperation fades from his dark eyes and a new emotion rises. "What in the world?" he explodes. His eyes are wild, fire burning. "'Please don't care?' What kind fo sister is that?!"

The head opposite his nods slightly, still in shock. "We waited for this? We waited for one sentence? We wrote a whole page, both sides, for one little sentence?!" Sulli's voice rises as well, and a similar fire is lit in her eyes. Though Sulli barely shows it, she can be as competitive and scary as her brother. They both glare at the paper. Then, simultaneously (who said they aren't related?) they release a deep sigh together.

"I guess so, Ssul," Minho replies to the angry question his sister had asked. "I guess this is how one road ends."

Silence reigns as his words echo in their heads.

"No."

Minho's head snaps up when he hears the determination in the girl's voice.

"No," she repeats, this time stronger. "No, I won't accept this. We took the time and effort to write her a letter, because we were concerned in matters which this Sooyeon Jung should've been worrying about. I'm not going to just sit and watch like Soojung's sister is doing. I'm going to stand up and help her, unlike Krystal's sister. I'm not going to let whatever bad is in store for my best friend, I'm going to support her and understand, and make sure she is safe!"

Sulli's face is set, and her eyes are steely. Minho knows this look-- it's the 'challenge me all you want, but I've decided and nothing will change my decision' face. Whenever she has this expression, there is not even the littlest chance to change her mind. The knowing look in his eyes turn just as steely as hers, and he nods in agreement.

After all, if you can't beat'em, join'em, right?

The two gets down to business. Just like before, they start to twirl and mussle their hair as they think up one sentence to describe all their feelings.

"And you call yourself a sister?" Sulli offers."

"That's rude," Minho argues.

"Excuse me?" Sulli offers

"That's rude, too," Minho argues.

"Why in the world are you doing this?" Sulli offers.

"That's even ruder," Minho argues.

Huffily, the girl crosses her arms. "Then give me your ideas," she challenges.

Minho thinks. "Would you please explain we must 'not care'?"

Sulli scoffs. "Sounds haughty to me."

Minho thinks more. "But do you know what Soojung's businesses are?"

Sulli scoffs again. "Interrogate much?"

Minho thinks even more. "Please elaborate?"

Sulli scoffs for the third time. "We ain't teachers, bro."

"Gah!" he explodes after Sulli's last counter. "Think, Ssul, then. Think!"

And so for a while, they are both silent.

"Must be short," 'Ssul' muses. "Short, and direct. Right to the point."

"But we can't sound too rude or anything," Minho adds as an afterthought. "Simple, short, direct, but still nice."

At the same time, they look at each other. In sync, the siblings shout together. "Why?"

Laughing, they share a high-five, all the while complimenting each other of their own geniusness. Minho quickly writes 'why' formally, signs it the same way from before, and puts it in an envelope. They seal it together and return to their respective friends with satisfactory smiles on their faces.

 

 

 

•       •       •       •

 

 

Outside, the four boys listen as a shout accompanied by laughter is heard clearly. their ears perk up, though they don't stop eating. Needless to say, when Sulli and Minho comes out with prideful expressions, looks of confusion are thrown all around the two. The siblings, however, remain oblivious.

The ones at the tables tare when Sulli calls out a farewell and leaves, and Minho joins them to engulf all the food left ravenously (all that thinking made him hungry) as if nothing had happened. After minutes at end of curious boys nudging each other, the four finally holds a silent round of rock paper scissors.

At the end, Onew clears his throat to speak. "So, Minho, what was that all about?" he asks in his best leader voice.

Unfortunately for him and his accomplices, Minho is very happy and very hyper. And when he has the combination of the two, he tends to not make much sense. When he is nervous as well (as he was when he was with Krystal the other day), he is fine, but when he's all relaxed as well, it is advised interact with him as little as possible.

"Oh, new friends, old friends, fun and friends," he answers in a singsongy voice. He smiles widely, and goes back to his food.

"Um, yeah," Onew says hesitantly. This is the first time Minho has ever been in his hyppy mode(hyper+happy; Sulli made up this name), so the leader is confused. "Yeah, of course I know." Onew fake-laughs, but his face is even more distorted due to the baffling reply. It's not only the poor eldest, but the rest of the boys as well.

In result, many attempts at figuring out the situation at hand die out piteously, and the matter is forgotten when the girls come by.


Woo! I'm back! With a longer, longer chapter! In fact, the longest chapter ever in this story! You're welcome. :) I hope this gives out a few answers and builds up a few questions as well. The conversation in the beginning is from chapter three, and I called Krystal Soojung and Sulli Jinri there because, well, it's before they got their new names. Or at least, put them in effect. Poor boys, they're hopelessly confused, but they'll probably find out in due time. I'm not sure about that yet. Ugh, I should update my other stories too (I'm such a bad person), but the ideas are rollin' like no tomorrow for this one. Writer's blocks sure are the worst, eh? Anyways, I have officially entered STAGE 2 of my story, with many more stages to come. Subscribers welcomed, commenters thanked, and silent readers, well, you guys are appreciated as well. I'll try update ASAP, with long chapters such as this! I bid you a farewell.