prologue.

One Gamer, One Life

"Hey Soojung, what's the latest game you play now with your princess face? Capture the Dragon, Save the Prince?"

The class roars in laughter as Donghae smiles on proudly as the class clown. As the teacher tries in vain to quiet the class, nobody notices Minho is the only one not laughing. After all, he is known for his silence. As he is about to raise his hand to ask the teacher to continue, he hears, with the rest of the class, a quiet but strong voice that silences everyone.

"I'm playing Werton War II." At this, everyone is quiet. Everyone knows Werton War II is the hardest game around, and so everyone is suddenly curious of her status in playing it.

"Level 47," the gamer says in monotone, as if level 47 was no big deal. Which, of course, is a lie.

Hearing this, Minho slightly lifts the corners of his lips to something that somewhat resembled a smile. With that, he takes out his phone, texting. A moment later, the phone silently vibrates to announce the arrival of the reply.

Soojung? There's only one Soojung in this school. Soojung Jung, widely known at school for being a hot gamer and Sooyeon's sister. Sophomore. Actually, she's seemingly well known, but there's barely any gossip or rumors about her, along with background info. She's an unknown known one, if you know what I mean. And Donghae, well, everyone knows Donghae. Class clown, practical joker, weirdo guy, but really nice. Except he likes to make fun of people sometimes. He's from a normal family, not too rich or poor, but I think he wants to be a singer? He said that once, but I'm not sure.

Minho replies with a short message of thanks, and slips his phone back into his pocket and turns his head to the teacher.

•           

Minho Choi, older brother of Jinri Choi, sophomore president. He himself is a junior, but he's kind of new here. Seems like he lived with his dad and now he moved into his mom's house for some reason. They're divorced, by the way. He's... quiet. Silent. Almost never noticed--I'm surprised you've noticed. He's definitely labeled as handsome, but the girls don't chase after him for some reason. Probably because they don't notice him? He kind of blends in the background. I, of course, didn't forget him. He's the mysterious one--one of the only few I don't have a whole page of info about.

She replies with a quick thanks and walks away to the room she loves the most. He probably thought I didn't notice him, she thinks. Well, I have as sharp eyes as Yesung does. It's just that it's more... hidden.

She allows a small grin to linger on her lips before making a blank, poker face again.


Hello! Author here. I'm not sure if author's notes are allowed, but this is for the readers who aren't reading this for the contest. So a quick summary of how things will work: there is definitely going to be MinStal, but also small scenes of other ShineeEffects couples, such as KeyBer and TaeLli. I'm undecided about the other four, but it's probably going to be LuNew, KhunToria and a forever alone Jonghyun. I may change it to JongNa+OnToria or LuNew+JongToria, but as I've said, undecided. I hope you like this. It's just that I'm really busy these days, so this is really short. Sorry about that. (And a message to my readers of my other fics--I know I should be updating those. But as I've said, I'm really busy these days. I'll try.)