Chapter 1 - Masquerade

Be My Cinderella

"Angel just go by yourself...you're the one obsessed with those guys, why drag me along?"

"Oh, come on, Ruby! They're like the hottest guys in school...how can you NOT wanna see them? Besides, I just gotta see my babies in a tuxedo, it's like a once in a lifetime thing..."

"Psh! It's just a dance...besides you know girls are going to be all over them, why bother?"

"You know, even though you're my best friend, you can be a real downer sometimes, you know that?"

"Sorry, babe, just telling you the truth."

*Oof* She throws a pillow at your face as she glares at you.

"I don't care what you think, tonight's going to be different...you'll see." You roll your eyes at her and smile.

"Yeah...yeah..."

It was the start of your senior year in high school and it was a tradition to kick off the new year with a dance. This year's dance happens to be a masquerade ball. The theme? "Uncover the Mystery Behind the Mask..." how clever was that? Usually, you both skipped the dances, but this year was different...this year was the year 7 hot guys, known as UKISS, transfer to your school. Nobody knows why they're here, in your opinion, nobody cared...at least not the girls. The moment UKISS stepped onto campus, girls have been constantly throwing themselves at their feet (sadly, Angel included.) You, on the other hand, had SOME dignity in you and although you find them extrememly attractive, you're not the type to go all lovey-dovey on a pretty face. You prefer to get to know a person first before jumping all over them...but try convincing that to your best friend.

"Don't even think about staying home tonight! I already pick out our outfits and everything...even if I gotta force you to change and drag you to the dance, I will! Don't think I won't!" Angel said as she handed you your dress. Just like your name, the dress was ruby colored and look amazing against your dark black hair. You look up to see her dressed in white and rolled your eyes. So predictable of her...

"Well? What are you waiting for? Go get dressed! The dance starts at 8 and it's already 9!"

"Okay, okay! Just give me a second!" You quickly changed into the dress and watch her looking up and down in approval.

"Now...onto the make-up!" She claps her hand in delight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You adjust your mask as you turn to Angel.

"Tell me again how you plan on finding UKISS here?! The place is crowded with masked people!" She takes your hand and tugs you towards the dance floor.

"Easy...just look out for a group of 7 guys who can move! Let's split up...text me if you think you found somebody..."

"W-wait! Don't leave me-" But she already left, blending in with the crowd. Great...so much for sticking together...You make your way towards the punch bowl, scanning the room for Angel/UKISS as you pour yourself a drink. After your third cup or so, you began to feel nervous by yourself. As you pour yourself a fourth cup, a voice comes from behind you.

"Thirsty much?" You turn around to see a tall guy with sparkling eyes, smiling at you.

"It is kinda stuffy in here..." You murmur back.

"Pretty girl like you belongs on the dancefloor, not next to the drinks...what do you say?" He offers his hand towards you, his smile widening. You stare at his hands, too shock to move. Why's a hot guy like him want to dance with an average girl like you?

"Come on...I won't bite...unless you want me to..." He winks at you as he takes your hand and leads you on the dancefloor, where he starts to lead. You blush as you stumble a bit and accidently step on his foot.

"S-sorry...I'm not very good at this..." You mumble in embarassment. He flashes you another smile.

"It's fine, no biggie." He twirls you around before pulling you closer to him.

"By the end of the night, your dancing will improve, trust me..." He whispers in your ear. You blush again as his hot breath brushes against your ear.

"Who are you?" You asked in curiousity, looking into his eyes. You could have sworn there was something familiar in them, but you couldn't place your hand on it. He chuckles and shakes his head.

"Sorry sweetie, but tonight's all about mystery and I wouldn't want to ruin the theme of it, do I?" You frown.

"I supposed not...then I guess I won't tell you who I am either!" You stick out your tongue. He laughs.

"I'm a smart guy and can pretty much guess who you are already...Ruby..." You froze at the sound of your name.

"H-how did you know it was me?" You asked in shock. He leans in closer, your lips inches from each other.

"Even with your mask on, I can easily pick you out in a crowd...you stand out to me...you have since the beginning..." You stare at him, your eyes cover in curiousity.

"Your eyes...something about them looks vaguely familar..." You whisper. He places his hand on your cheek, lightly brushing his thumb against your lips.

"Well...if you ever figure it out, tell me anytime...I'll be waiting..." With that said, he lean forward and kisses your lips before leaving you on the dancefloor. You see him quickly turning back before saying.

"I hope you can figure out in time who I am...or else I'll be VERY upset..." He winks at you before disappearing in the crowd. You stare after him, shock from what just happen. Your hand immediately flying up to your lips as your mind tries to figure out who he was. Suddenly, you felt someone yanking your arm.

"There you are! Did you find them yet?...Ruby?...Hello?...Anybody there?" You blink a couple of times before you realized Angel was in front of you.

"Oh...hey Angel....What was that?" You asked in a dazed. She rolls her eyes.

"I asked if you found them yet! God, what has gotten into you?" She waves her hand in front of your face, trying to snap you out of it.

"Did something happen while I was gone?" You touch your lips again as you turn to her.

"I'm not even sure myself what just happen..." She stares at you, taking in your now scarlet face.

"Do you need some air or something? Because we can just..."

"Angel! A guy just kissed me!" You blurted out. She open in shock.

"What?! When?! Where?! Who?!" Her eyes sparkle.

"I knew making you come here was a good idea...now tell me who it is!" You bit your lip and shook your head.

"I don't know...but his eyes look familiar..." Angel frowns.

"That's it? His eyes? You don't know who he is? Not even a name?" You shook your head and she sighs.

"Alright, we are officially not leaving this place until we find this mysterious guy, got that?"

"But I thought you wanted to find UKISS?"

"I do! Who says we can't do both? Now let's go...we've got all night to find them and I'm not wasting another minute!" She pulls on your hand as you let her lead you across the room. Those eyes...why can't I stop thinking about those eyes...Wait...it couldn't be...could it? You shake your head. No way...all this talk about UKISS is seriously messing with my head...there was no way he was one of them...it's gotta be somebody else...right?