Prompt 8: Promise

15 PROMPT CHALLENGE!

 

Prompt 8: Promise

 

Lay stood in the middle of the crowd. Tons of people were walking pass him as though as he was transparent but Lay couldn’t care less. He was there solely to meet one person. And he will wait within this crowd as long as it takes if that person will appear.

 

The street was packed with workaholics and teen in weird fashion, but they all had one thing in common---they are running out of time. Tokyo is not a place for you to sit down and take a break; it’s a place filled with life, as everyone’s so busy with everything. Flashing light and loud music is what creates Tokyo, they fill one’s up with excitement and business. To make things short, time equals money. No one there will stop and stare at a person who’s not moving at all, nor would they care; it’s their loss if they did.

 

Rushing and catching up has made them immune to feelings such as curiosity and pity. We always speed through life like a video, not catching a small break or letting time chase up with us. Technology and communication was all we care for, believing we were still one with our loved ones with it. We were slowly dying; breakups through instant messages, cyber bullying, fibs sent through chain messages faster than a chat, it was all created by us. And yet we still create them, believing that they will give us happiness.

 

It was all a lie wrapped up in our own concoction of creations.

 

Lay couldn’t accommodate with such madness, as he always believed that he was just a hillbilly who came here with a mind full of dreams of being a dancer. He was ambitious and confident before he came here, flashing a dimple smile at everyone; now, he’s just confused and scared. Everyday, he hear people around him say so many things, about how they’re going to succeed in their project, how they’ll create a machine no one has seen before, how they’re going to graduate with an achievement so great that everyone would want them; they make him scared. Scared that he wasn’t improving as much as them, scared that he wasn’t fast enough for them, scared that his failure would be his end.

 

Scared that he wasn’t one of them.

 

Lay still stood there with his scabby clothes hanging loose around him like a dry towel and his messed up hair that was attracting flies. Two months of no room to sleep, a few days without food and probably a week with no showering ever since he lost all his money has caused him to scavenge around the street for food. But today, he stood in the middle of the street. He was waiting for his dear friend where they swore with their pinky fingers on.

 

At April 3rd , we will both gather at the street we first arrive in Tokyo. By the time whoever is more successful will have the loser to pay them for a meal in the most expensive hotel, okay?

 

A light chuckle slid out from Lay lips. What would he react when he sees him in this horrible and pitiful state? Would he laugh or would he just walk away and pretend to not know him? Who cares, it would be a miracle if he does come here. It has been a year since they made that promise anyway.

 

12:00 A.M.

 

The clock inside the shop beside him chimed. Well, it looks like he’s not coming then. Lay felt a little bit disappointed but also a part of him felt relieved. Relieved that Kris doesn’t need to see him in this state. Relieved that he could still keep a part of his dignity there.

 

As Lay turned around to walk back into the subway which was also is his new home, he heard a deep voice for the other side call him. Could it be Kris? Or was his hallucination again? The younger one turned back and to his surprise, it was Kris. Kris in his clean cut suit and fancy tie clip. Kris in his styled up hair and leather shoes.

 

Kris.

 

Kris could see his friend at the very end of the street looking very trashed and tired. He couldn’t believe what had happened to him only after a year where they separated. He never once called Lay when he was studying and only after when he got his job, he realized that today was the day. The day he will meet Lay again.

 

But in a blink of an eye, he was gone.

 

The taller male felt frantic while running towards the end of the street. He kept pushing through the crowd of people while mumbling a bunch of “sorry” and “excuse me”, just because he was polite. And to his horror, Lay wasn’t gone but instead, he was lying on the ground. Lay’s legs could not hold up his body anymore with the lack of energy and food. Kris quickly carried the smaller male in his arms, only to realize how light he was. Kris officially entered panic mode while sending him into his car, in hopes to be able to reach anywhere with doctors in time.

 

 “Hey Kris, long time no see. Sorry I dirtied your suit and yeah, laugh all you want.” Lay whispered on the seat.

 

“What on earth happened to you?” Kris asked while ignoring what he said.

 

“Got tricked by some dudes. Lost all my money and well, couldn’t find a job cause I can’t speak their language. Look at you instead, all neat and tidy. Must have finished your studies already, eh?” Lay spoke nonchalantly.

 

“Well yeah…but let’s worry about you first. Do you want to go to the hospital? Or a 24-hour clinic? I can send you there now; I’m not in a hurry you know. And dude, I’m so sorry that I was late I-“

 

“Why did you come?”

 

“Well it was a promise.” Kris replied with no hesitation.

 

“And whoever breaks the promise,” Lay recited.

 

“Will have to kiss the neighboring fat lady.” Kris finished the sentence, just like how he did many years ago.

 

 

 

A/N: okay? not okay?

 

main pic:chefpandita