Puzzle

The Greatest Mistake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

           Kyuhyun returned to the house so deep in thought, he didn’t notice Jongwoon reading on the couch until he cleared his throat loudly.

           “Oh, hey!” Kyuhyun said, holding up his hand.

           “You tired?”

           “Yeah,” he admitted, yawning.  “I couldn’t fall asleep last night and then I met up with Changmin early, so I maybe got in an hour or two.  Where’s Sungmin at?”

           “Martial arts training.”

           Kyuhyun nodded.  “I’m going to take a nap then.”

           “Don’t forget we have the awards tonight.  You can’t sleep all day.”

           Kyuhyun nodded and walked down the hall, stopping outside his door.  It was only a little after ten in the morning.  He could get a few hours in if he fell asleep right away.  But that was the trick.  He knew that his insecurities would weigh in on him the minute he laid down and that he’d overthink his conversation with Changmin.  Anytime he had this problem in the past, he just went to Ryeowook’s room and slept in his bed.  It seemed to quiet the troubled thoughts long enough to fall asleep.  But would that still work if the source of his worries was Ryeowook?  And would he still be welcome?

           Kyuhyun walked further down the hall and lightly rapped on Ryeowook’s door.  There was no answer, so he walked in.  Ryeowook was still sound asleep under a pile of blankets, lying on his side with his back to the door.  Kyuhyun closed the door and rounded the bed, sitting down on the edge of the mattress to watch Ryeowook sleep.

           Ryeowook looked so peaceful, lying still except for the slow rise and fall of his body as he breathed.  One hand lightly gripped the edge of a blanket, a couple fingers slightly wiggling.  Kyuhyun wondered what he dreamt about.  Was this crush of his a frequent visitor in them?  That was assuming that Changmin hadn’t misheard the whole conversation.  Once he had the chance to ask Sungmin about it, he’d know if it was true or not.  Perhaps it was an old flame from long ago.  He couldn’t think of anyone who Ryeowook saw on a regular basis outside of SM Entertainment and Sukira employees.  No one in particular came to mind.

           If Kyuhyun wasn’t worried that Ryeowook’s heart already belonged to another, he’d make a move without hesitation.  As Changmin had said, what would it hurt after they’d already slept together once?  But he wasn’t going to charge in without knowing what he was facing first.  He could wait until he knew more.  Even if it killed him.

           “Should I be worried that you’re just sitting there watching me sleep?” Ryeowook asked, his eyes still shut.

           “I intended to come sleep with you, since I’ve been having trouble sleeping, and then it occurred to me when I got in here that you might not be up for that after the last time,” he said.

           Ryeowook pulled back the blankets and scooted over to make room for him.

           Kyuhyun slipped under the covers and rolled over onto his side to face Ryeowook, who still hadn’t opened his eyes.  They almost always fell asleep touching each other in some way.  Sometimes it was just one of them touching the other’s back or feet their touching.  Sometimes they held onto each other.  This was so ordinary, he’d never bothered thinking of it until now.  Now he didn’t know if he was allowed.

           He laid there a minute without moving, looking at Ryeowook and wondering.  After a while, Ryeowook’s eyes slit open.  He peered at Kyuhyun with half opened eyes.

           “Come here,” Kyuhyun said, his voice thick with suppressed emotion.

           Ryeowook inched closer to him until he was nearly pressed against Kyuhyun’s chest.  Kyuhyun wrapped his arm around him, pulling him a little closer until he felt Ryeowook’s forehead touch his collarbone.  He rested his chin on top of Ryeowook’s head and closed his eyes.  His heart was beating so fast, he doubted this was the solution to his sleeping problem, but exhaustion won over quicker than

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter