What?!

Love Is A War

 

"My daughter, Sumi."

My eyes widen and my skin pales. "What?!" I feel Chen stiffen next to me, and hear gasps from all around the room.

"But Sumi-" Chen gets cut off.

"Now calm down. The Kios requested for the female to be you. And as the Alpha's daughter, MY daughter, it is your responsibility to perform this duty, for the sake of each and every one of our people. You can end the war once and for all, Sumi. Do it for all of the people we have lost in this war. Do it for everyone sitting here today. Do it for me." Dad's brown eyes were pleading.

I sigh. "I suppose I have no other choice." I whisper to Chen. He has a sad expression on his face. "I will do it for my people." I say, standing up and bowing towards the back of the room.

"I shall send word to the Kios that the wedding is on." Dad turns and walks into the back room.

 

"I can't believe you're getting married..." Chen says in a hurt voice.

I cup his face in my hands. "I have to do this Chen. This war must end."

"I suppose you're right..." He lifts his hands to rest on mine, still cupping his face.

"Come on, I want to see that smile." I crinkle my nose and flash him a goofy smile. His lips quickly form a smile. "There it is!" I exclaim, making another face.

 

{Chen's POV}

Sumi's getting married. She's getting married to someone whom she's never met. Why couldn't her dad choose someone else? "Hey, Sumi?" I turn to face her.

"Yes?"

"Since you have to get married, will you still come and spend time with me?"

"But of course! I couldn't ever stop spending time with you, Chen!" Her small lips form a smile as she wraps her arms around my neck.

"Good~" I say into her hair as I wrap my arms around her waist, hugging her back.

"Who's my favorite Lightning boy?" She giggles her cute giggle.

"I am." I smile. I hope this boy treats you well.

 

I look at my alarm clock. 2am, and I can't sleep. I sigh, and turn onto my other side. On my nightstand is a picture of Sumi and I when we were little. She was hugging me so tightly that my face was red. I chuckle. It seems like only yesterday we were that young. I've always been there for Sumi. When we were younger, kids would pick on her because she was smaller than them, and she couldn't fully control her powers. I was always there for her.

 

FLASHBACK

 

"Poor little Sumi can't use her powers." A tall boy taunted. He manipulated a sphere of water in front of his face into the shape of a small person, making it appear to laugh at her. Tears start pouring down her face. "Quit crying you baby."

"Leave her alone!" I yell, standing in between them with my arms stretched out, shielding her.

"Superhero Chen is here to save the day, huh?"

"Shut up and leave her alone!" I drop my hands to my sides and clench my fists, sparks of lightning surging out.

"Alright, if that's how you want it." The boy says with a smirk, lunging towards me. I pull back my fist and connect it with his jaw, sending bolts of lightning through his body. "Ow!" He screams, holding his jaw and staggering off as fast as he can.

I turn around and drop to my knees. "Are you okay?"

Sumi looks up at me and nods, then pulls me into a hug. "Thank you so much, Chen." She whispers.

 

FLASHFORWARD

 

But as we got older, she got stronger and more powerful. So in time, I didn't have to protect her anymore. Yes, I was happy that she didn't need my help anymore, but I was sad that it meant that I wasn't going to be like a superhero anymore.

 

FLASHBACK

 

"Chen, Chen!" I turn around to see Sumi running towards me. I smile instantly. "I finally mastered my water bending power!" She slides to a stop. "Look!" She moves her fingers and water appears in the air in front of me.

"Wow!" I exclaim, watching the water move through the air like a dragon.

"Aren't you proud of me?" Her eyes were full of hope and anticipation.

"Of course I am!" I smile widely.

 

FLASHFORWARD

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

wookie_96's note:

Chen has some cute memories. ;D