Chapter 49

World Spins Madly On

It was pretty quiet at the Cheons’ household in the morning with most of the occupants were still in the land of dreams. The only sounds heard were coming from the kitchen, where the matriarch of the house was busy preparing breakfast for the rest of the family. She wasn’t alone this time, though; she had help from her two (forced) volunteers: Ji Hyo and Jong Kook.

The man had looked sheepish when he woke up earlier and had been ready to leave immediately, not wanting to impose any longer than he had. Gwi Ja was having none of it—there was no way she’d send a guest home before feeding them. Besides, Jong Kook had looked so tired that she was worried he’d get into an accident if he drove home right then. So she’d ushered the two of them to the kitchen to help her.

She’d given them each one thing to do: Ji Hyo was to clean the beansprouts and Jong Kook had to peel potatoes. Gwi Ja hoped that doing such a menial task would at least kick-start their brain so that Jong Kook would be alert enough to drive home later. She was at the stove cooking, and from where she was standing she could see the two work without having to turn around and making it obvious that she was watching. The young couple were sitting side by side at the table; their movements were so slow—almost lethargic, even, as they worked. They weren’t speaking to each other but there was no tension between them; in fact, Gwi Ja could see how relaxed they were sitting in such proximity.

Observing the two of them was entertaining, Gwi Ja decided; it was so much like watching a television drama where the two main characters were so obviously into each other. She rolled her eyes as Ji Hyo made a fuss over Jong Kook’s finger, which accidentally got nicked when the potato peeler had slipped. It wasn’t even bleeding—Jong Kook hadn’t even made a sound—but her daughter still gently blew on the finger. Gwi Ja was amazed that Jong Kook patiently let Ji Hyo do so while gazing lovingly at the younger woman. No, actually, she was more astonished by the fact that her usually tomboy daughter could act so gently towards a man.

There was no doubt that they were in love with each other, and if what Gwi Ja had witnessed earlier this morning (and just now) was any indication, then they had probably decided to stop being stupid and come forward with their feelings like two responsible adults.

“I need those potatoes in a minute. Jong Kook-ssi, are you done?” Gwi Ja asked, no longer able to withstand the lovey-dovey moment. She tried not to smile to see Jong Kook quickly retracted his hand from Ji Hyo’s hold.

“Ah, yes, Eomonim,” he said politely. He brought the potatoes to her, along with the beansprouts Ji Hyo had finished cleaning. “What else can I help you with?”

Gwi Ja found the address term new in her ears but didn’t comment on it. It was the first time that any of her children’s lovers would call her that way. They usually settled with calling her ‘Imonim’. She decided that she didn’t dislike it coming from Jong Kook. She smiled at the muscular man and told him to just sit and rest. “Go to your room and sleep a little more if you want; I’ll have Seong Im call you when breakfast is ready.”

“It’s fine. I’ll just sit here,” he declined, pointing at the table where Ji Hyo was sitting with his thumb.

He didn’t look fine at all, Gwi Ja noticed; Jong Kook looked a little bit pale, and when he returned to his chair he was limping slightly like he was in pain. She glanced at Ji Hyo, who was frowning at Jong Kook—clearly she also saw the limp. “Seong Im-ah,” Gwi Ja called out. Ji Hyo looked at her with a worried expression. “Go take your Oppa to the living room if you want to chat; I can’t cook with so much distraction.” The look her daughter gave her was full of gratitude. She watched them walked out of the kitchen and scoffed inwardly, young love is always so dramatic.

***

“My back is killing me,” Jong Kook admitted as he sat on the sofa, sighing appreciatively to finally meet a soft surface.

“I’m so sorry, Oppa,” Ji Hyo apologized; she’d completely forgotten about Jong Kook’s spine problem. But then again, it was supposed to be a one-minute thing instead of a two-hour sleep. “I shouldn’t have asked you to…”

“You didn’t know,” Jong Kook interrupted. “It’s not your fault.”

“I did know. I just forgot.”

“Well, that’s that. And we weren’t planning on staying long in that position, remember? It was going to be one minute. I fell asleep.”

Me too, Ji Hyo thought. “What can I do? You can’t drive to Anyang like this.”

He shook his head. “Nothing, really. I just need some sleep and a good stretching. I’ll be fine.” Gently, he Ji Hyo’s cheek. “Don’t look so worried, Seong Im-ah. I’m fine.”

Ji Hyo covered his hand with hers and pressed his palm to her cheek. “You don’t look fine at all,” she said. “And I think I’m entitled to be worried. I’m your girlfriend after all.”

Jong Kook grinned. “Oh? Are you now?” he teased, pretending to pry his hand from her grasp.

She shrugged. “Well, I guess, since we’re too intimate to be ‘just friends’ but not that intimate enough to be ‘-buddies’.”

Jong Kook spluttered on her last words. “Yah, Cheon Seong Im—you…”

“Ah, it’s Cheon Seong Im now?” Ji Hyo asked. “I thought that name is reserved for when you talk about me with my parents.”

“You’re my girlfriend; I call you whatever I like.” Jong Kook flicked her gently on her forehead. The little minx.

“Didn’t you question my use of that term just now? Who says you can use it now?” Ji Hyo mock-glared at him. “Jong Kook-ssi, my parents don’t let just anyone stay at their guest room. If you’re not my boyfriend, then I guess feel free to leave.”

“You want me to leave?” Jong Kook raised his eyebrows. Ji Hyo shrugged again, averting her eyes from his face as if she didn’t care. “Okay then.” Jong Kook began to stand up. It hurt like hell, but the show had to go on. He grunted involuntarily when a sharp pain shot through his back.

“Oppa!” Ji Hyo exclaimed, her arm shot forward when Jong Kook stumbled. She held his forearm and helped him sit back down. “Where are you hurt? What can I do?” Ji Hyo started to freak out when Jong Kook didn’t answer immediately—his eyes were screwed shut and he was breathing heavily as if trying to block out the pain. “I have painkillers. Can I get you painkillers?”

“What’s the matter?” Gwi Ja emerged from the kitchen; she’d heard the commotion. “Seong Im? Jong Kook-ssi? What happened?”

“Eomma, help. He’s in pain.”

It only took Gwi Ja a second to assess the situation before she went into action; she got enough experience with muscles pains back from when she was still a professional athlete, and she knew exactly what to do. Telling Ji Hyo to get whatever painkillers she said she had (Gwi Ja made a note to ask her daughter why she’d need painkillers in the first place), Gwi Ja went back to the kitchen to prepare a hot water bottle to help with the muscle spasms.

“Jong Kook-ssi, can you move?” she asked when she returned with the bottle. The man gave her a small nod but wasn’t replying; he still looked a little pale. “Have you ever had a problem with your back before, or is this the first time?”

“Got surgery,” Jong Kook managed to reply. “I also have scoliosis.”

“And you thought it was a good idea sleeping in that weird position I’d found you?”

Jong Kook stood corrected—Ji Hyo didn’t get her sarcasm skills from her father; no, she got it from both her parents: double doses. “We weren’t planning on sleeping like that, Eomonim,” he said, quite embarrassed that she’d brought it up.

“You and my daughter need to be more discreet,” was all that Gwi Ja said as she placed the bottle on his lower back, adding a little pressure to give a massaging effect. She told Ji Hyo what to do when her daughter returned with a couple of ibuprofens and water, saying that if it didn’t get any better they’d need to go to the hospital. She scoffed when the couple gave her a horrified look. “Honestly, you two—what is it with you and the word ‘hospital’?”

“Nothing,” Jong Kook replied at the same time as Ji Hyo’s mumbling something about scandal.

“You two need to rethink your priorities,” Gwi Ja grumbled. “And if you think avoiding scandals is more important than your health, then I suggest you also rethink your career choices—nobody in this world should be afraid of going to the hospital just because they don’t want to be in some stupid gossip articles.” She left the living room with that.

“Your mother has a point, you know,” Jong Kook said after some time; the hot water bottle and ibuprofens were taking effect.

“When does she not?” Ji Hyo replied. “Just she waits and sees me move to Jeju to open a seafood restaurant.”

“Huh?” Jong Kook was confused. “What are you talking about?”

Ji Hyo shrugged and grinned. “Nothing.”

“Yah! Song Ji Hyo! What was that about? Come on!” He tried to grab her wrist but she moved away quickly while laughing and sticking her tongue at him. “Yah!”

Ji Hyo patted Jong Kook on the shoulder. "Stick around, then, Jong Kook Oppa, if you're so curious. Maybe you'll find out." She winked.


A/N: Okay, first of: Happy New Year. 새해 복 많이 받으세요!!

Second, sorry I didn't update during the holiday as I promised--I told you relaxing decreases my productivity by 100%. And I was also trapped in the flood that happened on the first day of 2020 (check the news about Jakarta flooding) so I couldn't write/post anything. 

Anyway, this is a filler chapter just so you know that I'm not going off the grid again like four years ago. I'm not satisfied with this chapter, but hopefully it is still readable.