Chapter 5

World Spins Madly On

 

It didn't take long until Jong Kook spotted a familiar figure walking down the road. He turned off the ignition and got out of the car, waiting for Ji Hyo to come closer. 
 
"Oppa! Jong Kook Oppa!" Ji Hyo waved as soon as she saw Jong Kook. She didn't bother lowering her voice, oblivious to the fact that some people might have heard and recognised them. 
 
"That was quick," Jong Kook commented appreciatively. "I thought you were going to make me wait for hours. Is it far from your house to come here?"
 
"No, my apartment is just around the corner, Oppa," replied Ji Hyo, animatedly pointing to a certain direction. "Do you know my house?"
 
Jong Kook shrugged, not wanting to confirm but also not wanting to lie directly. He knew how Ji Hyo didn't like people coming to her house. "I know the area," he settled for a vague answer. "Are you hungry? Let's have some ice cream."
 
The two walked to a relatively empty ice cream parlour and soon were busy deciding on what to have. Ji Hyo decided to have a triple chocolate sundae, earning a look of surprise from Jong Kook, while Jong Kook ordered a banana split (he made his point that he didn't want any toppings or whipped cream; that would be pushing it). They sat side by side facing the glass pane as they waited for their order.
 
"Do you have any business in Ilsan?" Ji Hyo queried, curiosity got the better of her. 
 
"No," answered Jong Kook truthfully. He looked sideways at Ji Hyo and said lightly, "Oppa is just here to see you." 
 
Ji Hyo frowned in confusion. "Eh? What for?" Please don't say that you want to talk about my relationship, she pleaded inside. 
 
There was an awkward silence because Jong Kook didn't know what to say. To be honest, his decision to come to Ilsan was a spur of the moment thing. He had been driving home when he saw the road sign to Ilsan and simply turned to the direction. 
 
"Oppa?"
 
"Let's just say that I want to share my winning from yesterday," he blurted out the first thing that came across his mind. 
 
Ji Hyo contemplated the out of place answer for a moment before snapping her fingers. "Ah, I know!" she said suddenly, grinning cheekily at the older man. "Oppa, you must be feeling guilty for eliminating me yesterday! This is an 'I'm sorry I betrayed Song Ji Hyo' project, isn't it? Ah Jong Kook Oppa, you're so predictable."
 
"Don't make it a habit, Ji Hyo-yah. This is only a one time thing," Jong Kook let her buy her own conclusion. 
 
The woman chuckled. "Let's see if I can't bully you into giving me another treat next time," she challenged. 
 
A waiter interrupted the banter with their order. Ji Hyo squealed in delight at the size of her dessert. "Whoaa, this is awesome!" She took a big bite and moaned contentedly, not caring about her image. "Oppa, here have a try!"
 
Jong Kook's eyes grew wide when he saw Ji Hyo's treat. "Exactly how many calories do you think it is in that spoon only?" He asked in horror. 
 
"Not as many as the happiness I feel when I eat it," quipped the younger woman in a carefree tone. She ignored Jong Kook, who was abut to give her a lecture about how unhealthy her food, and continued eating. 
 
They enjoyed their desserts in comfortable silence; Jong Kook picked on his, mostly eating only the banana. He let Ji Hyo snag the most of his ice cream without saying anything, quite pleased to see her enjoying the food. 
 
"Aishh, I'm going to burst!" Ji Hyo stated once the two bowls were cleaned out. "Thank you for the treat, Oppa," she said earnestly as Jong Kook paid for the both of them. 
 
They walked to Jong Kook's car, which was parked not far from the parlour. "Do you have anything else to do today?" asked the Commander. 
 
"No. Why? Ready to get rid of me already? Yah, Kim Jong Kook! That is not how you apologise properly to a woman."
 
"Aigoo, Cheon Seong Im-sshi! Why are you so sensitive? It was just a question," replied Jong Kook, taking a step back to avoid Ji Hyo's smacking his arms. 
 
It was right before they could say anything else when a flash of light surprised them from behind. Jong Kook immediately looked around and out of his protective instinct grabbed Ji Hyo's arm and pulled her out of camera sight, safely standing behind him. 
 
"Oppa!"
 
Ji Hyo's voice sounded so weak that Jong Kook felt helpless. He looked at her, the trace of laugher had completely vanished from her face, replaced by shock. "Get inside the car, Ji Hyo-yah. Get inside the car now," he growled grimly. 
 
She didn't have to be told twice. Ji Hyo scrambled into the car and fastened her seatbelt with trembling hands. "Paparazzi," she whispered. She glanced at the older man beside her but Jong Kook's expression was unreadable. He fixed his gaze on the road, concentrating hard only on getting them out of there. 
 
Ji Hyo worried her lower lip, thinking of what to say. Her manager had reminded her that it was unwise to go with Jong Kook if there weren't any other people because the media might still on the lookout for a new scandal on her. 
 
After a few minutes of driving in silence, Jong Kook was finally able to relax a little. He gave a fleeting look towards Ji Hyo, who was gripping her seatbelt with her hands until her knuckles turned white. 
 
"Where do you want me to drop you off?" he asked.
 
Ji Hyo's head turned to see him, confused. "Aren't you going to drive me home, Oppa?" There was a hint of hurt in her voice, Ji Hyo's eyes conveyed the question she didn't say out loud, "Are you abandoning me?" and Jong Kook felt a little guilty. 
 
He sighed, "You don't like people coming to your house." What he didn't say was that he feared the paparazzis were going to wait for her there as well. 
 
It seemed that Ji Hyo could read his unspoken worry because the woman merely nodded. "I don't like people coming to my house," she affirmed. She took out her phone and dialled her manager number. "Sun Mi Unnie, it's Ji Hyo. Can you please pick me up? Yes, the usual drop off place... No, everything is fine. Okay, I'll see you in a minute. Thank you, Unnie."
 
Jong Kook drove to the place Ji Hyo directed without saying anything. He soon saw Ji Hyo's van and stopped quite close to it. He waited until Ji Hyo had unbuckled but didn't got out of the car, just in case. 
 
"Sorry I ruined your day," he said. 
 
"You didn't," she assured. "Thank you for the ice cream. Drive safely back to Anyang, Oppa." They parted ways with that. Jong Kook didn't drive away until he was sure that Ji Hyo had safely enter her car. 
 
Sun Mi eyed Ji Hyo carefully when they were alone in the car, curious on what had happened. "Ji Hyo-yah, are you alright?"
 
"Somebody took a picture of me and Jong Kook Oppa," she informed her manager. 
 
Sun Mi gasped; looking so panic-stricken that Ji Hyo couldn't help but chuckle. "How can you laugh like that, Ji Hyo-yah? Aren't you worried? This is your reputation at stake!" the older woman scolded. 
 
Ji Hyo gave her a dry laugh. "Let them speak; I don't care anymore." They both knew how untrue the words were but the tone in which Ji Hyo said it left no room for arguments and Sun Mi kept shut afterwards.
 
 
 

A/N: *inhales exhales* There, finally I manage to insert some Spartace into the story. I hope this one doesn't disappoint. Thank you very much for all readers, especially for those who take their time to leave a comment and subscribe. You're all a star :)

 

This chapter is dedicated to nae yeodongsaeng, RielleB. You have a safe trip, woman. I'll see you again very soon *hugs*