Chapter 17

World Spins Madly On

 

It was almost eleven at night when Jong Kook finally dropped Ji Hyo off at her apartment; they had been driving all the way to Seoul for ice cream because Ji Hyo insisted that if they wanted to have ice cream, they had to do it right – she knew the best place to have ice cream.

The evening they spent together was pleasant; they got a chance to talk about a lot of things despite the little disturbance from people who recognised them and asked to take pictures with them. They also talked a lot during the forty-minute drive back to Ilsan and Jong Kook was amazed on how many new things he learned about Ji Hyo’s personality in this one ‘date’ only compared to the past one year they had been working together.

Apparently, Ji Hyo wasn’t as cheery and open as people perceived her to be; on the contrary, this woman was very cautious – she was very private and also attentive. She told him that sometimes she had too many things going through her mind at the same time that her facial expression simply couldn’t keep up, hence the blank look. It wasn’t that she didn’t understand things, but she was processing how to react on everything. Jong Kook mentioned to her that it was actually an excellent personal defence system – people couldn’t get at her if they didn’t know what irked her.

Jong Kook couldn’t find a parking spot close to the front door when they reached the apartment area so he insisted on walking Ji Hyo to the front door, ignoring Ji Hyo’s merciless teasing about him being so chivalrous and overly cautious – what could happen to her within a short distance walk to the building, anyway?

“I’m old fashioned,” stated Jong Kook. “Just humour me, will you? Why do you have to question everything that I do for you? Other women are excited when their boyfriends walk them to the door and do sweet things.” He got out of the car and went round to the passenger door to open the door for Ji Hyo. “Let’s go, your majesty.”

“Too bad for you I am not other women, Oppa,” Ji Hyo reminded him lightly.

No, you are not – you are something else, Seong Im-ah, Jong Kook thought. He vaguely noted that he really liked the sound of Ji Hyo’s real name in his head. No wonder Jae Suk Hyung sometimes calls her with her real name. The man shook his thought away; he offered his hand to help her step out of the van even though he knew Ji Hyo didn’t need any help, and grinned like a schoolboy when the younger woman took the offered hand in a beat. They walked side by side leisurely and Jong Kook laughed when Ji Hyo started to swing their joined hands back and forth. “Ji Hyo, did you have fun today?”

Ji Hyo peeked through the curtain of her hair but didn’t turn her head towards Jong Kook. She smiled. “Just the evening, Oppa – with you. You are a very nice company,” she replied earnestly, giving Jong Kook’s hand a squeeze as she spoke.

The truthful and innocent answer made Jong Kook blush a little; it was so uniquely Ji Hyo to say something like that without any other intention than to say the truth – that her words were taken differently by the person she spoke to was lost to her. “I’m glad,” Jong Kook remarked huskily, swallowing hard. “Is your throat alright?”

“It is better, Oppa, thank you,” she said. She touched the base of her neck with her free hand. “I should have known better than to scream that loudly.” Her smile faltered when she said that; she lowered her head as the memory of yesterday invaded her mind. “Oh!” Ji Hyo gasped loudly when she was suddenly spun around by Jong Kook so that she was facing him.

He lowered himself so they were in each other’s eye-level. “Look at me,” he whispered worriedly, “Don’t go back there, Ji Hyo-yah. Look at me.” Jong Kook held his gaze until he read understanding dawned in Ji Hyo’s eyes – she understood that he didn’t want her to think about Chang Joo. Ji Hyo gave a slight nod and he could feel her breath caressing his skin as she exhaled. He nodded back at her and straightened his back to resume walking. “Think about ice cream,” Jong Kook suggested as they reached the entrance. He nudged Ji Hyo with his shoulder. “Think about me eating ice cream for you.”

From the corner of his eyes Jong Kook saw the twitch at the corners of Ji Hyo small mouth before the woman laughed in amusement. Her eyes twinkled as she playfully patted Jong Kook on his abdomen. “It’s still flat, my Oppa – don’t you whine too much,” she teased. “Somebody’s got to teach you to enjoy life while it lasts before you get married, Jong Kook Oppa. I am a good teacher; your future wife has to thank me later.”

Jong Kook feigned a frown. “Oh no, let’s reverse that, Miss Mong – I am going to teach you how to be healthy so you can enjoy life to the fullest. I’ll get you to live to two hundreds.” He winked at Ji Hyo and resisted the urge to pinch her cheek – it wouldn’t be polite to do so to your fake girlfriend, would it?

“Two hundreds? I don’t want to live that long – aigoo, everyone I know won’t still be alive by then!”

“I will,” Jong Kook quipped. “I’ll keep you company.”

Ji Hyo rolled her eyes at him; she actually found the idea very cute: them keeping each other company until they were two hundreds, but she only chuckled at him. She then glanced at her watch and saw that it was almost midnight. She remembered that Jong Kook had to drive all the way back to Anyang. “Oppa, It’s late,” she mentioned regretfully.

“Ah, yes,” Jong Kook replied, a hint of disappointment in his voice. He didn’t want this night to end – he really enjoyed being together with Ji Hyo. “You go inside, Ji Hyo-yah. And sleep well later – I will call you in the morning, okay? Your idea of morning, that is.”

The younger woman pinched Jong Kook’s wrist. “Yah, Kim Jong Kook! What is that supposed to mean? I am not that lazy, you know!” She stuck her tongue at the older man when he only laughed at her. “Give me a call when you reach home, Oppa. It’s late and I’m worried – I won’t be able to sleep if I don’t know you’re home safe. Please? Just so I know that you are alright?”

 “How are you so sweet, Ji Hyo-yah?” Jong Kook mumbled almost inaudibly that the woman didn’t hear him. He promised that he would call as soon as he reached home and gentlemanly waited until he was sure Ji Hyo had gone into the elevator of her building before leaving for his car.

Ji Hyo hummed softly as she entered her apartment, expecting it to be dark because it was late. She was quite surprised to find her manager sitting in the living room holding a bowl of popcorn, watching what seemed to be a Korean drama series. The older woman grinned teasingly at her and quickly switched off the television when she saw Ji Hyo.

 “Ah, Unnie!” Ji Hyo exclaimed, blushing at being caught humming. “Why are you still awake?”

“It’s Jang Dong Gun Oppa on screen, of course I am still awake,” the manager replied. “Someone is happy,” she pointed out teasingly, “I vaguely remember that a few hours ago this same woman was reluctant to go.”

“Unnie,” Ji Hyo laughed nervously.

“Sit down! Tell me everything!” the manager said, scooting a little to make some space at the sofa. Ji Hyo made an excuse about being tired and wanting to rest but Sun Mi was having none of it. She glared at the younger woman and pointed at the sofa, signalling Ji Hyo to sit down. Ji Hyo had no other choice but to comply, still laughing nervously.

 “Well?” the older woman requested. “I’m waiting – I’ve been preparing for this,” she pointed at her bowl of popcorn.

“I thought you were making this for Jang Dong Gun-ssi,” Ji Hyo scolded. She nudged the other woman with her shoulder. “Yah, Unnie, what if I came home bawling like a mess?”

Sun Mi only shrugged. “Then I’d let you be and eat this popcorn with a sappy drama. Now don’t stall – spill! Spare me nothing.”

Ji Hyo closed her eyes for a second, taking a really deep breath to calm the fluttering of her stomach as well as controlling her expression. “Sun Mi Unnie,” she began, grinning, “Jong Kook Oppa – ehm, he and I are together now.”

The manager’s jaw dropped. It took her a second before she reacted, squealing like a girl meeting her idol in the flesh for the first time. She put the popcorn and literally jumped up and down for some seconds before she calmed down enough to pull Ji Hyo in a big hug. “Song Ji Hyo, I will not rest until I know everything!”

And Ji Hyo beamed as she thought of the evening she had just had with Kim Jong Kook, chuckling as her mind took her back to Jong Kook’s ice cream punishment.

...

“Kim Jong Kook, you are not eating!” Ji Hyo protested after she got tired of seeing the older man playing with the food in front of him. “Aigoo, it’s melting, Oppa!”

Jong Kook made a face at the bowl of dessert in front of him. He should have known better than to promise Ji Hyo about eating anything she ordered for him. He immediately regretted the decision as soon as they entered the ice cream parlour – Ji Hyo was pretty familiar with the junction and the woman ordered without even looking at the menu. He should have been able to see his own doom.

When Ji Hyo’s own ice cream arrived he had exhaled in relief, naively thinking that the small-sized strawberry parfait was for him. But of course Ji Hyo didn’t earn the nickname ‘bad’ Ji Hyo for nothing; when the waiter put his order, Jong Kook candidly groaned – she had ordered the biggest bowl of ice cream Jong Kook had ever seen in his life.

The bowl itself seemed to be big enough for two or three people to share, but what shocked him more was the content of the bowl. There it was – five big scoops of ice cream of various flavours topped with strawberries and mini marshmallows as well as peanut sprinkles. To top all that, everything was covered in chocolate syrup. It was so much that Jong Kook got a phantom toothache just by looking at it.

He had tried pleading and begging and even promised her that he would bring her coffee every day – delivered fresh first thing in the morning to her door – but Ji Hyo was having none of it. “Ji Hyo-yah, honest, I don’t think I can...”

“Don’t think, Oppa. You just have to eat,” replied Ji Hyo sweetly as she cut him off. “I can feed you if that makes it taste better,” she offered coyly.

“I’ll hold you responsible if I have a heart attack because of this,” he grumbled, gingerly taking a small portion with his spoon. The man cringed at the overly sweet taste when the dessert touched his tongue – this was too much. He gave Ji Hyo a sideway glance and noticed that she was watching him with a naughty twinkle in her eyes.

“So, how is it, Oppa? Do you like it?”

The muscular man quickly took a sip of water, silently gargling to wash the sweet taste in his mouth. “It’s like I’m tasting death – Running Man tea time was better than this.”

“Yah, don’t exaggerate much, my Oppa – here, have another bite,” she said, laughing openly at his disgusted expression.

Jong Kook sighed in resignation and took another bite, thinking of how many hours he had to spend in the gym just because of this. He wanted nothing else than chuck the rest of his food down the garbage bin.

Right at that moment his eyes met Ji Hyo, who sat opposite him watching him intently with her pair of big eyes and looking so happy that she actually appeared shining, and suddenly it didn’t matter anymore – it didn’t matter that he had to spend a few extra hours at the gym; it didn’t matter if he developed a cavity and had to schedule a visit to the dentist because of this. Jong Kook ate another spoonful and somehow he felt that the ice cream no longer tasted that awful. He smiled.

Seeing that her Oppa truly put all effort to fulfil his promise to her, Ji Hyo began to feel guilty. She had had inkling that Jong Kook wouldn’t be able to finish everything by himself – unlike herself – and that was the reason why she ordered a kid-size treat for herself. She had been planning to help Jong Kook eat his ice cream; she just didn’t tell him so.

Wordlessly she scooped some ice cream off Jong Kook’s bowl and began to eat as well. Jong Kook looked at her questioningly and grinned when Ji Hyo told him she was going to help.

Ji Hyo ended up eating more of the treat than he did, but Jong Kook ate some whipped cream – keeping his promise – without protest. They fought over the last bit of strawberry and when Ji Hyo won the spoon fight, Jong Kook pouted a little. He looked so funny when Ji Hyo, instead of eating the strawberry herself, offered him the bit of fruit from her spoon.

 “Go on,” she insisted, “It’s your punishment, Oppa – of course you have to finish it.”

The man was going to take the spoon from Ji Hyo’s hand but she mischievously moved her hand away, gesturing that Jong Kook used his mouth to take the fruit. He blushed furiously but complied anyway, thanking her afterwards.

“We’re even now, Kim Jong Kook,” said Ji Hyo. She reached forward and wiped a smear of chocolate from the corner of Jong Kook’s mouth with her thumb, grazing his lips.

Jong Kook felt his mouth become dry at the very intimate gesture. He stared dumbfounded at Ji Hyo who was already busy talking about something else, oblivious of what Jong Kook was feeling. The brief touch had been electrifying and Jong Kook wouldn’t be amazed if a brain scan told him he had damaged a few neurons in his brain. He shook his head, trying to stop himself from thinking and grounding himself by chanting that it was only a friendly gesture between brothers and sisters.

...

“Did he say he loves you?” Sun Mi asked, curious.

Ji Hyo bit her cheek before she answered that. She and Jong Kook had talked about this – they decided that the best way to do this was to fool everyone, including people that were close to them. Ji Hyo was a bit reluctant at the thought of having to lie at her manager, and her parents – if they asked, but she had no other solutions to offer so for the time being she agreed to go along with Jong Kook’s plan.

As she opened to speak, her phone rang. Saved by the ringtone, Ji Hyo thought. Sun Mi taunted her but let her go to answer the phone. Ji Hyo hugged the older woman and ran to the room before taking the call. She didn’t bother looking at the ID as she answered it.

“My Jong Kook Oppa,” she greeted sweetly, “Oppa – you must be speeding! Have you reached Anyang yet?”

Your Jong Kook Oppa?”

The cold voice on the other side of the line was enough to make Ji Hyo’s heart suddenly clench in fear. She kept quiet while her breathing quickened.

“You think I wouldn’t find out?” Chang Joo’s voice was calm and yet full of threat. “I’m watching you, Song Ji Hyo – I am watching you.” he hung up immediately.

Less than two seconds later Ji Hyo’s phone alerted the woman of a new message. Ji Hyo’s heart dropped when she saw the message – it was a picture of Jong Kook and herself hugging in the park. How could he know? Ji Hyo felt nauseous at the thought that Chang Joo had been following her somehow – or had someone follow her.

Jong Kook called Ji Hyo around ten minutes after she received the pictures; he was hoping for a small talk about their plans for the next day when he dialled Ji Hyo’s number – oddly, it was already on the speed dial number four of his phone after his mother, manager, and niece – but instead he was greeted by Ji Hyo’s shaky voice. The woman sounded as if she had been trying not to cry and Jong Kook got worried all the sudden.

She told him that she couldn’t do it – that it would kill her if something happened to him because of her; she told him about the earlier call from Chang Joo and about their picture the man had sent to her phone. Jong Kook swallowed hard, wanting nothing else than to be by Ji Hyo’s side at that moment to chase away her fear and doubts.

He didn’t hang up until he heard Ji Hyo’s breathing became steady, indicating that the woman had fallen asleep while listening to him talk soothingly in her ear. He waited another minute just to make sure she wouldn’t wake up again that night before ending the call. He couldn’t sleep – anger was burning hot like a coal in his head. He wasn’t a violent person by nature and he hated the idea of hurting other people intentionally – until now. He craved for a fight; he had the thought of shredding Chang Joo into pieces with his own bare hands so that the CEO could never hurt his Ji Hyo ever again.

Jong Kook had a nightmare that night when slumber finally found him – one in which he was forced to watch Chang Joo come for Ji Hyo and he was unable to do anything even though the woman kept calling out for him to help her. He woke up at dawn drenched in sweat, staggering and barely making it to the bathroom before he retched and emptied the content of his stomach.

 


A/N: And that is the end of the series of my fluffy chapters. Fasten your seatbelts because I'm returning full force to the angst - plus some romance, just because ;)

Thanks for reading and hopefully this one is alright enough (I am not one who can write cute chapters about dating and so on). Please let me know what you think, if it isn't too much trouble for you. 

Ps. A friend asked me if Park Sun Mi is really the name of Song Ji Hyo's manager. The answer is no. She is purely my imagination - Ji Hyo's real manager is a man, if I'm not mistaken.