Chapter 47

World Spins Madly On

Jong Kook was furious after the fact; he’d been in another room helping his brother-in-law with a piece of new furniture when his phone rang in the living room. Knowing what little rascals her nieces were, he’d shouted a warning at them not to touch his phone and let the call go to voicemail—he’d call them back later. Then he heard giggles. His suspicion that they weren’t listening turned to annoyance when they’d called him ‘honey’. He saw red the moment they mentioned Ji Hyo’s name. He threw the screwdriver he was holding to the floor and dashed out of the room in a flash, snatching the phone away from her older niece’s hands.

“Ji Hyo? Hello?! Ji Hyo?!” he called out desperately into the phone. All he heard what a dull monotone of a disconnected call. He was too late. Glaring at her nieces who blanched at the sight of him, Jong Kook pressed the call button, trying to reach Ji Hyo. His call went straight to voicemail. Jong Kook cursed under his breath but he tried again. And again. After the fourth try, he gave up—it was clear that Ji Hyo had turned off her phone.

“Samchon…” Soya started timidly, knowing that they’d been out of line. “We’re so sor—…”

“What did I tell you about touching my phone?!” he bellowed without letting her finish, ignoring the guilt he felt for lashing out when the two girls shrank before him, huddling close together and looking at their feet.

“We’re…”

“Save it!” Jong Kook waved a hand, not wanting to hear any apologies. It wouldn’t change a thing.

“What’s going on?” Kim Sang Hae appeared from the kitchen. “What happened? Jong Kook?”

Jong Kook closed his eyes and counted to five, trying to calm himself. He didn’t want his mother to see how angry he was. “Nothing,” he lied between gritted teeth without looking at the older woman.

“Jin Hee?” Sang Hae addressed her oldest granddaughter. “Soya?”

Soya opened to explain, but quickly closed it again when Jong Kook scowled at her. She shook her head, lowering her head shamefacedly.

Jong Kook said nothing more; he tightened his grip around his phone before shoving it into his pocket then walked briskly into his room. A minute later he walked out again, wearing his large coat. “I’m leaving. Don’t wait up for me,” he mumbled to his mother.

“Leaving? Where to? It’s late.” Sang Hae followed her son to the door when he didn’t answer. She wouldn’t stop him from leaving; it was best to let him cool down outside the house. “Jong Kook-ah,” she called him out softly. Jong Kook stopped in his track, but not turning around to face her. Sang Hae patted his back. “They didn’t mean any harms.”

“I know.” He said nothing more and left.

***

Jong Kook arrived in Ilsan in record time; it was a miracle he didn’t crash into another car despite his speed and the slipperiness of the road. He parked his car across from Ji Hyo’s house and was about to leave the car when he realized something: it was Ji Hyo’s parents’ house. Which meant that Ji Hyo didn’t live alone. Which meant that he had to go through her parents first and explain why he had to come at this hour before he could see her. Damn it! Jong Kook took out his phone, trying his luck for the last time, and dialed Ji Hyo’s numbers. It still went straight to voicemail. Jong Kook whacked his palm against the steering wheel with a loud thud that echoed in the car.

This thing with Ji Hyo was frustrating, if not maddening: it was like taking a step forward and then being shoved a few paces backward. And this time, it was his mischievous nieces that did the shoving. Jong Kook banged the back of his head to the headrest several times and groaned in exasperation. He fidgeted in his seat, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel as he contemplated his next move. Jong Kook glanced at the dashboard clock—the display showed that it was past ten at night. Not that late in his book, but would it be polite to come to somebody’s house that wasn’t family at this hour?

But how would he be able to straighten this silly misunderstanding if he didn’t go? Jong Kook pinched the bridge between his eyes; he couldn't think. He regretted not having gone to the gym instead. Ji Hyo’s not at the gym, his brain told him. True. He exhaled audibly. Who knew loving a woman could be this complicated? Haha’s question from weeks before replayed in his head: was Ji Hyo worth all this trouble? Jong Kook opened his eyes; it wasn’t even a question. The answer was still a resounding ‘yes’.

He looked out the window, staring longingly at the closed gate and half-hoping that somehow Ji Hyo would materialize outside. It was ridiculous, but he was desperate. Jong Kook stared for some more before coming to a decision. If he couldn’t see her tonight, then he was going to wait till she came out—she had to, eventually. He nodded, satisfied with his decision.

Jong Kook unbuckled his seat belt, turned around and began to crawl into the backseat. His large built and the thick coat he was wearing making it difficult to maneuver inside such a tiny space, but after a tugging here and there he finally managed to grab the duffle bag he put in the back of his car for emergency purposes. He took a woolen blanket from inside the bag and crawled back to the driver’s seat, cursing all the way when his hip and knees bumped into things.

He lowered the driver’s seat enough to enable him to lie down even though only slightly. It was going to be a long night, Jong Kook thought as he shifted and tried to make himself comfortable.  

***

Ji Hyo tossed and turned in bed, unable to sleep. She’d tried everything: from stacking her pillows around her to kicking everything onto the floor. Nothing worked—she still couldn’t find a comfortable position.

She’d given up trying some time after midnight, staring blankly at the ceiling while sprawling on her back. Her limbs twitched, restless. Ji Hyo yawned, rubbing her eyes. This wouldn’t do, she thought. She got up, sitting on the side of her bed with her feet on the floor. Throwing a glance at the curtained window, she decided that maybe all she needed was some fresh air. Ji Hyo stood up and stretched before going through her sister’s wardrobe to borrow some trainers to put on top of her thermal clothes. After also borrowing a pair of earmuffs and mittens, Ji Hyo tiptoed outside the room and went downstairs.

It was semi-dark downstairs. The only light coming from the dim nightlight in the living room and a sliver of light coming out from the space between the floor and the door to her father’s study. Ji Hyo approached the study and knocked, opening the door without waiting for him to answer. “Appa?”

Soo Kyung looked up from his book when Ji Hyo entered, lifting his chin questioningly on seeing that she was dressed up. He nodded at the clock on the wall above the door then at Ji Hyo without saying a word.

“I can’t sleep. I’m going to take a walk for a while,” she informed him. This wasn’t the first time she’d done it whenever she needed some space, and her father knew exactly where to find her.

“Do you have your phone with you?” He waited until Ji Hyo showed him her phone before nodding in satisfaction. “Turn it on,” he said, “It’s useless unless it’s .”

“I will, later.” It was beyond Ji Hyo how her father knew she’d turned off her phone.

“Come back before two or I’ll come and fetch you myself.”

“Yes, Sir.”

***

Ji Hyo shivered as cold air breezed past her and made her eyes water as she stepped outside the gate. “Oh, cold,” she mumbled to herself and fixed the shawl she was wearing so that it covered half her face as well, contented when her face was no longer freezing.

The neighborhood was quiet—serene, just the way Ji Hyo liked it. She looked around and was glad to find that she was the only one outside at this hour. Then, just before she was about to walk to the direction of the park, her eyes caught a familiar car across the street from her house. Ji Hyo tilted her head, trying to read the plate but was unable to as it was too dark. She shrugged and dismissed it. There were a lot of cars like that, maybe it was one of her neighbors’.

Ji Hyo hadn’t walked two steps when she heard the sound of somebody opening the door of a car, stepped out, and closed it again with a dull thud. She swirled around and let out a small gasp; she couldn’t believe her eyes.

“Ji Hyo.” Jong Kook’s voice was filled with uncertainty.

“Oppa?” Ji Hyo whispered back after a second. “Jong Kook Oppa? What—what are you doing here?”

He didn’t move from where he was standing by the car, not sure that any advancements were welcome. “It was Soya and Jin Hee—my nieces,” he blurted out, “The one who answered the call—it was them. I swear it was them. They were pulling a prank on you.”

There was a desperation in his voice and mannerism as if he was afraid that Ji Hyo wouldn’t want to listen to him and just left. Ji Hyo was rooted in her spot with hanging open. She was still stunned to find Jong Kook there, let alone having to process what he’d just told her.

He took her silence as mistrust. Involuntarily, Jong Kook stepped forward. “Ji Hyo-yah…” he pleaded. “Please believe me.”

She swallowed, finally finding her voice. “How long have you been in that car?” she asked instead.

“Around two hours.”

Her eyes widened. “Two hours?! In this weather? What for? Are you crazy?!” Ji Hyo quickly crossed the street, stopping when she was a step away from Jong Kook. She took her shawl off her neck and put it around Jong Kook’s.

Jong Kook was rendered speechless for a while, watching with wonder as Ji Hyo fussed around with the shawl and fastened it around his neck. Jong Kook lifted his hands and took Ji Hyo’s wrists gently, stopping her movement.

“Oppa?”

“I’m so sorry, Ji Hyo-yah,” he whispered. “My nieces, they…”

Ji Hyo shook her head, cutting him off. “I heard you the first time,” she said.

“Oh.”

She stepped back. “Come on,” she said, motioning at Jong Kook to follow her. “Walk with me.”

***

They ended up sitting side by side on the swings in the playground, saying nothing to each other. Ji Hyo swung gently once in a while, and Jong Kook kept his eyes on hers the whole time.

“I can’t read your mind, Orabeoni.” Ji Hyo spoke up, breaking the silence. She rested her head on the chain that held the swing, looking at him. “Not even when you’re staring at me like that.”

“You turned off your phone,” Jong Kook said.

“I did.”

Jong Kook kicked a small pebble near his foot. “I tried calling you back. Several times. They all went straight to voicemail.” Ji Hyo hummed noncommittally. “I needed to explain… but I just couldn’t reach you.”

“I was… jealous.” Ji Hyo lowered her head as she whispered the last word, biting her lower lip. Her heart beat wildly against her ribcage.

“Huh?” Jong Kook wasn’t sure he’d heard right.

Ji Hyo avoided his gaze. “Somebody was calling you ‘honey’ on the phone,” she said shyly, “And I don’t like it.”

Jong Kook’s eyes widened at the confession. Jealous. Ji Hyo was jealous of a random woman calling him ‘honey’. Does that mean… he didn’t want to get his hopes up.

She lifted her head, looking straight at Jong Kook’s eyes. Have courage, Cheon Seong Im. “I don’t like it, Oppa,” she repeated a little bit more loudly this time.

Jong Kook only nodded, speechless. “Okay,” he croaked. His heart soared.

“Do you want to know why, Oppa?”

“Yes?”

“Because it wasn’t me.” Ji Hyo threw a fleeting look at Jong Kook’s lips before looking back into his eyes. “And I want it to be only me who’s allowed to call you that.”

“Ji Hyo…”

“Can I… be the only one?” She slipped off the swing and stood up before Jong Kook, who was still sitting. Ji Hyo reached out with trembling hands, cupping Jong Kook’s face and tilting it up to see her. Slowly, she lowered her head until their faces were only an inch away from each other. She caressed Jong Kook’s cheeks with her icy fingers. “Honey,” she whispered shyly before closing the gap between them.

Blood rushed into Jong Kook’s head on the first touch of Ji Hyo’s soft but cold lips on his. It was fleeting, like a snowdrop on his skin before it melted away, and it left Jong Kook wanting more. Jong Kook surged forward, chasing Ji Hyo’s lips as she pulled away from him. He pushed himself up in a flash and grabbed Ji Hyo’s waist, pulling her back to him until their fronts were flushed together.

“Where do you think you’re going?” he whispered, grinning triumphantly when Ji Hyo turned beet red. Emboldened by the reaction, Jong Kook lowered his head again, halting halfway to gauge Ji Hyo’s reaction before finally capturing the oh-so-alluring pair of lips. He moaned, a low guttural sound from the base of his throat when Ji Hyo parted her lips, silently inviting him to deepen their kiss.

Her senses were in overdrive; it was so hot, the feeling of Jong Kook’s tongue on hers, the caresses of his lips against hers. Ji Hyo sobbed out of her volition, seeking more, wanting more. Her hands traveled on their own to Jong Kook’s head, tugging at his hair, pulling him impossibly closer to her. I love you, Ji Hyo screamed in her head. I love you. She pressed her lips harder, hoping that he could feel the love that was overflowing in her heart.

It was as if time stood still as they kissed and kissed some more until they were forced to pull apart for the need of air. They were panting hard, gazing at each other’s eyes like there was nothing else in the world but themselves. Jong Kook glanced at Ji Hyo’s swollen lips, slightly parted as she breathed heavily, and he felt a jolt of arousal in the lower region of his body. He swallowed hard, embarrassed at what he was thinking about those lips right now. Trying to not think about it, Jong Kook peppered Ji Hyo’s face with light kisses that made both of them swoon.

She held on to the front of his jacket for dear life; her legs were no longer able to support her as Jong Kook went on with his ministrations—kissing her from her chin up to her jaw, and to hear earlobe. She moaned in pleasure when he started to the sensitive spot behind her ear. “Oppa…” she pleaded, not knowing whether she was pleading him to stop or keep going. Her whole body was burning with desire, and Ji Hyo squeaked when Jong Kook angled her head to on a pulse point on her neck. She was dizzy, drunk with passion.

“I want you,” Jong Kook whispered in the middle of his kisses before pulling away, remembering where they were. He rested his forehead on Ji Hyo’s forehead. “God, I want you.”

Ji Hyo wrapped her arms around Jong Kook in response, using her body to convey that she shared the same sentiment. “I love you,” she said it out loud to him for the first time. It was liberating to finally be able to say it.

Jong Kook smiled. “I love you.”

“Don’t break my heart, Oppa.”

He kissed her as a reply, chuckling when she chased his lips as he pulled away.

***

Jong Kook’s grin died the moment they reached Ji Hyo’s house. There, standing in front of the gate with his arms folded across his chest was Cheon Soo Kyung. He was frowning at them.

“Abonim,” Jong Kook greeted meekly.

“Appa,” Ji Hyo said at the same time.

The older man glared. “What time do you think it is?” he said in a low tone.

“Appa, it wasn’t Jong Kook Oppa’s fault…”

“Quiet, you,” Soo Kyung commanded, silencing Ji Hyo. He clicked his tongue at Jong Kook, glancing at their still intertwined hands. “Didn’t I tell you to stop this nonsense midnight talk?”

“Yes, Abonim. I’m really sor— …”

“Do you honestly think that making out with my daughter in a public park in the middle of the night is a better idea, Jong Kook-ssi?”

“Appa!” Ji Hyo was mortified. His father must have gone to the playground to fetch her and witnessed what had happened. She pulled her hand away from Jong Kook, who looked as embarrassed as she was, if not more.

“Get in,” Soo Kyung gestured, impatiently glaring at Ji Hyo when he caught her exchanged a glance with Jong Kook.

Jong Kook pressed his lips into a thin line, not knowing what to say that wouldn’t get Ji Hyo into more trouble with her dad. He’d screwed up badly. He lowered his head watched from behind his lashes as Ji Hyo reluctantly stepped inside. He winced when Soo Kyung cleared his throat, bracing for a verbal telling-off that he so much deserved. Jong Kook’s head whipped upwards in surprise when the older man spoke to him.

“What are you waiting for, Jong Kook-ssi? I said, get in!” He pointed at the open gate. “Don’t just stand there like a statue—come on in. What? Do you think I’d let you sleep in your car?”

He knew! Jong Kook bowed and quickly entered the gate before him, almost running into a surprised Ji Hyo. They stood side by side, waiting for Soo Kyung to lock the gate behind him then followed him into the house, not saying a single word to each other.

“Show him the guest room,” Soo Kyung told Ji Hyo when they were inside the house. Ji Hyo nodded and motioned at Jong Kook to follow her. The older Cheon called her name before they reached the stairs. He looked at the two of them knowingly. “Remember that the guest room is only for him.”


A/N: and... as promised. I'm really bad at writing physical intimacy, so I hope you didn't cringe when reading that kissing scene. I tried my best.