The Truth

It All Started as an Act

Daehyun shook me awake, gently. "Wake up," he said. "We're here."

I sat up and smoothed my hair, looking out the window. "Oh, it's already evening here?"

"Yeah," he agreed, reaching for his bags. "Are you going to be going with your members to your hotel, or...?"

I stood and reached for my bags as well. "I'm not sure. I could give my manager a call and ask."

"Sure."

After calling and getting permission to spend the day with Daehyun, I told him so. "Great! Are we staying at the same hotel, though?"

"Maybe. Where are you and the rest of B.A.P staying?"

He told me. "Oh! Great! Yeah, we're staying there too. Isn't it right by the airport?" We had been walking as we talked, and were currently outside. "Oh! It is, oppa, look! We could just get a taxi to drive us over there."

"Yeah, let's do that," he agreed. I caught us a taxi and soon enough, we arrived at the hotel. Daehyun and I had agreed to split up for a moment to drop off our luggage in our respective rooms and meet back in the lobby. I was sharing with Tris, as usual.

"Ooh, are you two going on another date?" she asked as she saw me.

I blushed. "Yeah."

"Oh my gods, are you blushing? You?"

"Why don't you go find the other members and, I don't know, wallow in your loneliness while I'm gone?"

"Oh, please." But as I started to head out, she cried. "Wait! Are you going, looking like that?"

"Why?" I looked down self-consciously. "What's wrong?"

"Are you not going to put on makeup?" Tris asked, coming over to inspect my face. "No, you did. It's smeared, though, see?"

I looked in the mirror. My eyeliner was indeed smudged, presumably from crying. "How did you even allow yourself to go out in public like this?" she wondered out loud, then spotted the sunglasses in my hand. "Ahh. Well, in any case, let me fix it for you."

I sat down on the bed obligingly. "Thanks. But hurry. He's probably waiting for me already."

"Aigooo, you two lovebirds need to calm down. An idol needs to look decent before she goes out!" About three minutes later, I was ready to go, and I rushed down to the lobby.

As expected, he was waiting. "Ready?" he asked.

"Yes. Let's go!" I said cheerfully, and we walked out the door. I wasn't sure how, or who reached out first, but by the end of the block we were holding hands. If not for the cameras following us, we could have been any other ordinary couple here in the streets of California. Unfortunately, since our managers weren't here and we had no protection or security, we couldn't go many places, and we decided to settle for a nearby park.

Daehyun found us a somewhat empty area, and sat down underneath a big tree. I followed suit.

Our hands were still intertwined, and together, leaning against the tree, we watched the sun set. I leaned my head on his shoulder, and he leaned his head on mine. Even though we didn't have a conversation, it was peaceful and oddly comforting just having him next to me. After a while, he asked quietly, "Are you okay?"

"Mmm? Oh, yeah. I'm feeling better. I think talking helped. Thanks for listening, oppa."

"You know I'll always be here for you if you need to talk, right?" He let go of my hand and wrapped his arm around my shoulder instead.

I looked up at his face, and into his eyes. They were sparkling and happy, yes, but I could also see that he'd gone through a lot, probably more than I ever imagined. I smiled at him. "Yeah, I know. Thank you. But you also know that you can talk to me about anything too, right?"

"Of course. If I'm willing to do that for you, isn't it a given that you would do that for me?"

"Oppa!" I cried and sat up straight. "You're supposed to say, 'Yes, thank you, I love you' or something corny like that!"

"'I love you'?" he repated, eyebrows raised.

"Well, you know, that's how it would be in the movies..."

"Alright then. 'Yes, thank you, I love you.'" He smiled and stood up, offering me a hand. "It's probably about time we headed back."

I took it and we headed back to the hotel. After thanking the staff for their hard work, Daehyun and I headed back to our rooms. We got into the elevator together, and somehow, like it was an instinct, we were holding hands. But since his was a floor below mine, he wished me a good night and got off the elevator first.

...though I could have sworn that he squeezed my hand before letting go.

Back in my room, after showering and blowing my hair dry (Tris had brought her hair dryer), I got ready to sleep. But try as hard as I could, I couldn't fall asleep. I wasn't sure whether it was the time zone difference, or if it was because I was reliving events with Daehyun, especially on the plane.

In the dark, Tris spoke. "Tina-yah. You're not asleep, are you." She didn't say it like a question.

"No."

She sighed. "Tell me honestly, since no one's here except you and me."

"What?"

"You like him, don't you?"

I didn't need to ask who she was referring to. "Well, yeah. I mean, you knew that though, didn't you? Even before our debut, I was a Daehyun biased fan--"

She cut me off, completely serious for once. "I'm not talking about liking him as a fan. I'm talking about how the two of you are actually close now. You like him, don't you? Much more than just as a fan."

I thought about how gentle and kind he had been towards me. "Yeah. I do."

"And does he like you?"

"I don't know, Tris. I feel like maybe he does. But it could just be for show, or just him being kind. I can't be positive."

Tris sighed. "Well, all right. That's a start. Because you're my best friend, and I don't want you to get hurt. I'm pretty sure that even if he doesn't like you, as time goes on he--"

My phone buzzed, notification of a text.

From: Dae Oppa
Are you sleeping?

For some reason my heart sped up. I must have made a sound, because Tris snickered. "It's him, isn't it?"

"Yeah."

"I think that pretty much answers my question about him liking you."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah." She laughed again. "Aigoo, I'll leave you lovebirds to your late night texting. Just don't bother me. I guess I know who you'll be dreaming about tonight."

"You be quiet or I'll smack you."

Tris snickered again but didn't bother me anymore.

No, not yet. Why?

From: Dae Oppa
I can't sleep. Talk to me.

What do you mean, talk to you?
I need my beauty sleep too kekeke
Just kidding. What's up?

From: Dae Oppa
You're really okay?

Psh, everyone has their down moments.
I'm fine now, don't worry too much

From: Dae Oppa
Maybe I've grown used to you after seeing you
almost all day for the past few days but it's kind
of weird not having you next to me
I miss you

I didn't know how to respond to this. I tried to and couldn't find the right words; it was almost impossible when I didn't even know what I wanted to say.

I miss you too

That didn't cover it, but anything else I wanted to say was either too cheesy or too intimate.

From: Dae Oppa
You idiot
That was a confession

I wanted to wake Tris up and show her it to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, but she was already snoring softly. So I used the only approach I was familiar with: humor.

Who are you calling an idiot? Since when was telling
someone you miss them a confession?

From: Dae Oppa
I'm telling you I miss when we shared that one
hotel room, and I miss your presence. Youngjae
here isn't quite as lovely as you are. His snores are
rather annoying, actually.

Did you just call me lovely?

From: Dae Oppa
Is this the first time you've been called that?
But you haven't given me an answer yet.
I'll make it simple. I like you. Do you like me?

Who's the idiot now? How many hints do I have to give
before you realize that yes, I like you?

From: Dae Oppa
I just wanted to confirm and make sure I'm not going
to make an idiot of myself by trying to make a move
on you when you're not interested.

We have to be the most un-romantic couple there is

From: Dae Oppa
I agree

I think it's okay, though. We're romantic enough on-screen

From: Dae Oppa
Be honest, now. How much of that stuff was fake?

None. At least, for me. What about you?

From: Dae Oppa
Also none from me. To be honest, I've been a fan of yours since
your debut...not to be creepy

It's okay. I was also a fan of yours since debut

From: Dae Oppa
Do you think what they say about staying up too late making
you crazy is true? I don't think I'd be like this normally

I don't think I would be like this either

From: Dae Oppa
Maybe we should sleep, now that we have this settled. Good
night. (Dream of me)

You're so cheesy, oh my gosh. And to think this is our
first day as an official couple.

From: Dae Oppa
No it's not. We've been together for a while now, my lovely
wife.

Go to sleep

I couldn't believe what was happening, but I had the texts as proof. I put my phone back, and went to sleep

 

A/N: Wowow, what just happened~?

So yes, this was the original intent of the story but I just hadn't made it to this point yet ahah. I know I haven't updated in a really long time but I didn't want to give up on this story yet because I had had plans for it~ hope you liked it!