Plane Ride

It All Started as an Act

A/N: I know that I said I wouldn't update anymore, but...inspiration came~

I woke up the next morning. After a few peaceful minutes, my brain started working again and I realized where I was: in a hotel room...shared with Daehyun. I shot up and looked over to the other bed, where Daehyun seemed to be sleeping soundly. Relieved that he hadn't woken up before me, I got out of bed and went to wash up. I brushed my teeth and hair, watched my face, and put on some light makeup. Satisfied, I opened the door and came face-to-face with a half-asleep Daehyun.

"Oh...sorry. Good morning," he muttered.

"Morning," I replied.

I made my bed and put all my things back into my bag, waiting for Daehyun. Unfortunately, he'd seemed to have forgotten the fact that he shared a room with me, because the moment he walked out of the restroom, he took his shirt off and rummaged in his bag. Completely flustered, I realized I was staring and quickly turned around to face the wall. That seemed to cause Daehyun to realize what he was doing, and he cleared his throat. "Sorry about that. I...uh..forgot--"

"Sure, it's okay," I replied, still facing the wall.

"You can turn around now," he said, and I did as told.

"It seems like a nice morning," Daehyun attempted to make conversation while putting on his contacts.

"It does," I agreed.

There was complete silence for a few moments.

"What was the staff thinking, telling you and me to share a room?" I mused out loud.

"What, you dislike it?"

"No, it's just...what were they thinking?"

Daehyun sighed. "I don't know. But it's not like anything happened." I blushed, my mind wandering, and he seemed to realize what he'd said.

"Well anyway," I jumped up, "we should probably go meet up with the staff and see what they want us to do today."

He followed me out the door, where some staff members were already waiting for us. "We're aware that you have other schedules to attend to here in Japan, Tina-ssi, so you can just go ahead and do those. We've talked with your manager, and we'll just have a camera follow you around, is that alright?" the PD-nim asked.

"Yes, that sounds great," I replied.

"As for you, Daehyun-ssi...since Tina-ssi will be busy, we can't film you together. However, we've scheduled a plane for both of you that leaves at 9:00 tonight. Since you're both scheduled for the Music Core special in the U.S, the plane will fly there. Your managers have both approved of that, so this is just to inform you."

"Great!" Daehyun chirped. Yes, chirped. I swear he sounded so enthusiastic for an early morning.

"Have a great day," Daehyun and I said in unison and left.

Once we were in the lobby of the hotel, I had to wait for my manager to pick me up. The same went for Daehyun, so we sat together on a couch. "So...oppa," I started.

He turned to me quizzically.

"Did you sleep well?" I asked.

"Yeah, I slept like a log," he told me cheerfully, then looked away.

My manager arrived with the rest of the members, so I waved and said goodbye to my husband and left. "The scandalous Tina has come back!" Tris cried the moment I closed the door, and I turned back to face her, grinning. She gave me a hug in greeting, and fake-whispered, "So, how was it? What'd you two do, sharing the same room?"

I gave her an evil smile that she could interpret any way she wanted, and she hooted with laughter. "But no, really, what happened?" she asked.

"Nothing. It was like sharing a room with you," I answered, then thought back to Daehyun and his shirt problem. "Well, a little more eventful," I admitted.

Rachel, who was in the front seat, turned around to raise her eyebrows at me.

"Unnie is a troublemaker," Yuki called out, and she and Minah burst into "Troublemaker".

~ ~ ~

After performing at our schedule, the members, managers, and the rest of the crew headed for dinner. And then I was off to the airport, where I found Daehyun already waiting for me. "You're early, Oppa," I commented, checking my watch to make sure I wasn't late.

"Yeah, I prefer to be early rather than late," he said, greeting me with a smile, then added, "not that I'm saying anything about you."

"Are you trying to comment on my punctuality?" I questioned, narrowing my eyes.

Daehyun laughed in response. "Come on, let's go," he stated simply, promptly ignoring my accusation. He kept pace with me, and eventually we were on the plane.

We sat side by side, and there was a moment of silence. And then: "Are you tired?" Daehyun asked me suddenly.

"Yeah..a little," I admitted. "How about you?"

Daehyun shrugged. "Not really."

He took out his phone, plugged in earphones, and offered me one. I accepted it, saying, "I'm curious as to what kind of music you listen to, Oppa."

Daehyun gave a soft laugh. He fished in his bag, took out a pillow, and closed his eyes. A few minutes later, he was snoring quietly. I tsked to myself. "You liar, Oppa. If you're tired, you should have just said so."

Since the plane ride was going to be a long one, the cameras turned off and the crew settled down to rest. I stared out the window at the ocean below me. Nobody knew this, not even the Sky High members, but I was currently suffering from depression. I wasn't always depressed; sometimes it just came and lasted for a few days, and this week had been one of those few times. Looking at the quiet waters below me helped calm me, somehow.

I sighed, then looked over at the sleeping Daehyun. He was bent forward, his neck hanging, hugging his pillow. "You're going to hurt your neck like that," I reprimanded, even though he wouldn't hear. I put his head back on the seat's head cushion, but after a few seconds, his head went onto my shoulder. I couldn't help smiling; isn't this every fangirl's dream? And I could smell his shampoo, too.... It's nice.

I shook my head slightly, careful not to move around too much, and sighed again. I closed my eyes and tried to concentrate on falling asleep, since I knew I'd have no time to adjust to the time back in the U.S. once we arrived. But my brain wouldn't listen to me, and I was far from sleeping. I gave up and started listening to Daehyun's steady breathing instead.

But even that didn't help. My thoughts kept going back to my depression, and I gave up trying to fight it. Instead, I indulged myself in my self-pity and self-loathing.

I don't want to think about the anti-fans, but maybe they have a point. I'm really such a terrible person...some people would give anything to be in the position that I'm in. Some actually deserve it; so then why me? Why was I chosen to be a Sky High member and debut, when there were so many others who were more talented than me? All I can do is rap. Maybe if I could sing or dance better, I wouldn't be holding back the team so much. I'm useless, talentless, and I'm not even pretty. So why am I in this position?

I feel like no matter how hard I try, the results are never, and will never be, enough. There's always someone out there who's going to rap better than me, dance better than me, sing better than me, is smarter than me. It's not that I want to be the best; it's just that nobody really cares about me. No one who says that I'm good, and even if they do...it's half-hearted. And for even thinking these thoughts...I'm a b****. I'm a terrible person, I should know to appreciate what I have...

To my extreme annoyance, I find that I'm crying. At the same time, my shoulder was sore and I eased Daehyun's pillow out of his grip, carefully trying to squish it in between my shoulder and his head. Unfortunately, the movement woke him and he stirred, mumbling incoherent things. Then his eyes opened and look straight at me before I had the sense to turn away and quickly wipe my eyes.

He sits up immediately and asked, "Tina-ssi...are you okay?"

I nodded, not trusting my voice.

"No, you're not.," he says anyway. "Look at me."

I don't move.

"Look at me, Tina," he repeats.

I turn to him, looking at the floor of the plane.

"What's wrong?" he asked in such a gentle tone that surprised me.

"Nothing," I tried to brush it off.

He made an impatient sound. "It's obviously not nothing, because you're crying."

I sighed. "I'm sure every idol has been through it...the antis seem to have gotten to me."

His eyes seemed to fill with sympathy and understanding, and he looked at me expectantly, as if wanting me to continue. I heaved another sigh before continuing. "I don't know...I feel like...I'm useless. Talentless. A horrible person."

Daehyun still didn't look satisfied with my answer, so I pressed on. "I feel like I deserve so much hate. I try to seem like a good, cheerful person, but inside...well, it hurts to say this out loud, but...I'm honestly a selfish person. And I'm not good at anything...every time I feel proud, like I've accomplished something, I get a rude awakening that no, I shouldn't be proud. There are so many people better than me out there, and I have a long way to go."

Finally, after thinking for moment, he said, "Well, I think that everything you just said proved you wrong."

I looked at him, confused. He absentmindedly reached toward my face to wipe a stray tear away, and explained, "Your words show me that you're wise. You're humble. You accept that you're not the best at everything, and strive to become better. I think that makes you have one of the most beautiful personalities out there."

My face felt like it was on fire, my heart was melting, but I still wasn't fully convinced. After all, he could just be saying that to make me stop crying.

"No, really. You're one of the most beautiful people I've ever met. Maybe even the most beautiful."

I started crying again, but this time it wasn't because I was sad. I was so touched by his words; the fact that he even cared about what I had to say, what I was feeling, made me feel like there was at least someone in this world who appreciated me, and wasn't obligated to like me.

But apparently I'd caught Daehyun off guard, because he had a bewildered look on his face, which I found endearing. "What? What did I do? Why are you crying?"

In response, I gave in to my instincts and hugged him. "Thank you," I choked out between sobs. "Thank you for listening. Thank you for caring."

Hesitantly, he hugged me back, clearing his throat. "Of course. I'm your husband, after all. If you need to talk to someone, at any time, call me. Even if I'm busy or filming something, I'll always be here for you." He mumbled something else that I couldn't quite catch.

"Sorry, what was that last thing you said?"

"Jagi," he mumbled, still rather incoherently, but I understood. His ears turned red, and he looked away.

He's adorable.

I laughed quietly, suddenly shy. "I will."

Belatedly I realized I was still clutching onto him, so I let go. He seemed to just realize it too, and loosened his grip. But he still had one arm wrapped around my waist, which made me happy. Extremely happy.

"Anyway," he said, "you should probably sleep." He gently pushed my head onto his shoulder, and I soon peacefully fell asleep.

 

A/N: Whoa I finally got inspiration to write something I'm proud of~

What's sad is that the inspiration was my own period of depression.

But I'm all better now, so it's all good! ^^

I am so, sooooo sorry for not updating, and for even thinking of deleting this story. OTL

Hope you liked this update!