i know you're not a prom girl, but

Snoopy and the Llama

drabble twenty; (i know you’re not a prom girl, but) will you go to prom with me?

genre: fluff

 

description: henry came up with this one all on his own.

high school!au

 

foreword:

singing was too mainstream, but he still had to ask her somehow -

 

will you go to prom with me?

 

 


 

 

Henry knows Amber inside and out - can predict her next move even before Amber can think of it herself. So when he comes up with this one, he hopes that he predicted it right - because there’s one thing he’s never been sure of, and that was Amber’s feelings towards him.

 

So he writes it first in Thai, on a pink sticky-note that he puts on her desk before first period, even coming to school early (which really says something, because Henry is late more often than not) and he leaves it there, taking the seat next to her and waiting for her to come in surrounded by her friends.

 

She lights up at the sight of him, gives him a bright smile that has his heart stuttering already. What if she says no? Donghae says Henry is dumb and oblivious (not that Donghae should really be talking about being “dumb and oblivious” since Henry’s pretty sure Donghae’s failing in understanding both math class and Jessica’s signals).

 

“Hey,” she says, sliding into the seat beside his, setting her backpack onto the ground. “What’s up-- whoa, wait, what?”

 

Henry snickers a little, Amber picking up the sticky-note and staring at in confusion. She peers at it, putting it close to her face then far away, then back to her face as though it’ll suddenly just decipher itself that way. She sets it down then, turning to look at Henry as though he has an answer. He just shrugs though, a smile playing on his lips and she shrugs back in return as well, tucking the note away. Amber has a lazy habit of never throwing anything away until several months later, and Henry knows it.

 

He spends the rest of the period bugging her and distracting her from paying attention in class, all the while trying not to glance too many times at the pink note he can see poking out of her pencil pouch.

 

กรุณาให้เกียรติไปงานคืนสู่เหย้ากับผมด้วยครับ

 

The second one he sticks on her locker, because Amber always stops by before heading off to language arts while Henry walks to math. This one is green, and Amber pauses in front of her locker and stares blankly at it. This time she knows the language but doesn’t know it, and she peels it off the locker in utter confusion.

 

“Is this Yuta’s?” she asks, though it’s mostly to herself. She looks up and turns to Henry with curious eyes, and he shrugs, shaking his head. “I’ll ask him later,” she decides, and Henry bites his lip to hide his smile.

 

Henry also knows Yuta, the quiet transfer student with a shy smile and kind eyes. He’s a really nice guy, Henry knows, and seems to understand things quite instinctively. Henry’s told Yuta the plan, but he kind of figured that even if he didn’t, Yuta would get it anyway, and just push the note back into Amber’s hands with a knowing smile on his face. It’ll confuse Amber to no end, but she’ll end up stashing the little green note into her backpack anyway, wondering all the while why Yuta won’t answer her questions.

 

あなたは私と一緒にプロムに行くのだろうか?

 

The third one is in Korean, and Amber might be learning, but she hasn’t quite got it down yet. She’s getting suspicious now, because this one she finds third period attached to a basketball that Soojung throws at her at the end of the period, yelling, “Thanks!” as she runs off to the locker rooms, leaving Amber to put the basketball away.

 

Amber furrows her eyebrows at the purple note as she’s leaving gym class, but her Korean isn’t good enough for her to understand what’s written on the paper. She huffs and pouts a little, and doesn’t understand for the life of her why these things keep showing up everywhere today.

 

당신이 나 졸업 파티에 갈 것인가?

 

By the time it’s fourth period, Amber thinks she’s starting to go a little bit insane. The fourth one is yellow and it happens, literally, in the middle of Spanish class when a tiny freshman bursts through the door and hands it to her before running off. Amber’s totally flustered, because the note is in French and now the Spanish teacher is accusing her of liking French more than Spanish.

 

The Spanish teacher also happens to know French, and has a good idea as to what the note says and absolutely refuses to tell Amber.

 

Irez-vous au bal avec moi?

 

The fifth one Amber understands. She might be rusty around the edges when it comes to Mandarin, but it’s all starting to come together now, as she stares at the blue post-it note that she discovered in science class. She’s holding all five of those sticky-notes as she walks to study hall, staring at the different languages that she gathers now must all be asking the same question. Now she understands why no one will tell her anything, why Yuta gave her that smile and why the Spanish teacher won’t translate.

 

Amber’s thinking so hard that she barely notices the people practically diving out of her way as she heads down the hall. She keeps looking at the blue one, the one she understands, because it definitely asks her about the dance, but the only dance that’s happening soon that she actually knows of is--

 

你会去舞会和我在一起?

 

His voice is so familiar to her that she’d know it even if she were blindfolded and half-asleep. It’s so gentle, and a little nervous, but suddenly the way he says her name sounds so different in her ears: “Hey, Amber.”

 

He has a charming smile on his face, his cheeks flushed a little pink. Amber momentarily forgets how to speak, because she never quite realized how handsome Henry really looked, especially in a white-collared shirt that he definitely wasn’t wearing this morning, and the cute little bowtie that he has on. He looks shy and bashful, and Amber looks back down at the notes in her hands, then back up at him.

 

He pulls chocolates from behind his back, and she gasps a little when she sees the white sticky note resting on top.

 

This time it’s in English, scribbled in Henry’s familiar handwriting. She can tell he tried really hard to make it neat, and Henry’s blushing a little harder now, giving her the most hopeful look she’d ever seen.

 

She laughs a little, a nervous giggle that slips out because she’s already walking towards him, nodding and grinning widely and Henry hasn’t even asked yet, but she doesn’t care, because she takes the dumb chocolates (he knows her too well, chocolates win over flowers any time in her world) and attacks him with a hug, her arms thrown over his shoulders and wrapped tightly around him. She buries her face against his chest, her cheeks warm and she feels a little breathless when she laughs, because he hugs back just a little too tightly.

 

“Yes,” she says, before he can even speak. “Yeah, I’ll go to prom with you.”

 

Henry laughs, his fingers threading through her hair a little. “I haven’t even asked yet,” he whines, and she hits his chest playfully.

 

“So then ask,” she retorts, biting her lip to keep from smiling too widely. Henry beams.

 

“Amber,” he starts.

 

“Will you go to prom with me?”

 

 


 

 

i’m so sorry if this is boring or smth askdhakjsd

it’s jprom/prom season in my school right now so i just

obligatory high school prom au fic ajshhfaksdas

also if any of the prom-question-thingies in the other languages are totally wrong uh

i’m sorry LOL pulled those off of google translate.. ^^;