62 - 2

Just When I Thought I Was Over You
 

LXII - 2

 

 

When Kris was about to go to the university to attend another lecture that morning, he never expected to receive a message from Chanyeol and Luhan.

“It’s too early,” he groaned as he tucked his phone back to his pocket without looking at it. He had too much to worry that day. For one, he was supposed to present his research in front of his fellow co-researcher. Second, he wasn’t in good mood because Suho just called him last night and his non-stop bickering via Skype wasn’t helping him at all.

That message and the rest of the messages had long been forgotten until lunch time when Kris finally finished his errand in the university. Out of curiosity, he checked his phone again and he was surprised to see more than twenty messages, all from Luhan and Chanyeol. But what caught his attention was that one message from the Jin’s youngest secretary, Jongdae.

Maybe Luhan and Chanyeol’s messages could wait, he thought as he checked Jongdae’s message.

From: Secretary Chen

|11:13 pm|

Yifan…

He was curious enough to see his real name flashed on the screen. Only Suho and Jongdae called him by his real name and they only did it when they’re mad at him or something serious happened. Now, which of the two had made Jongdae called him by his real name?

Yifan, drop by at the office. I have something to give you. This is urgent.

---

Kris made it to the office a quarter to twelve all, making sure not to tell Suho that his car had been overused. He didn’t bother to enter the office because by the time he was there, Jongdae was already waiting outside. The secretary didn’t look well at all, Kris noticed, but he still managed to greet Kris with a smile, his cheekbones protruding as usual.

“Hey!” Jongdae greeted.

“Secretary Chen, what are you doing here? I could just meet you inside.”

Jongdae’s eyes averted from Kris’ and his smile faded. “Nope. I think it’s better to take this thing outside.”

Kris didn’t understand Jongdae but he still agreed for them to go to the nearest café just in front of the office.

“This wouldn’t take long,” said Jongdae as he pulled something from his briefcase, a manila folder to be exact. “I convinced Yoona that I’ll be the one to submit these papers or applications to be precise,” Jongdae looked at him seriously. “I know you know what these are.”

Kris got the manila folder from Jongdae. Of course he knew what those are. He was trying to convince Yoona to give it to him but the other secretary was too persistent. But Jongdae did a good job nonetheless. “What do you want me to do with this?”

“I don’t know. Give the application to the business schools or burn it? Your choice,” said Jongdae as he took a sip of his already cold espresso. Kris smirked because he knew exactly what to do as put the manila folder inside his bag. “Oh, before I forgot, I think we should go back now. Someone’s waiting for me.”

---

“Wait for me,” said Jongdae as he entered the revolving doors, leaving Kris outside the building. Seriously, Jongdae never let him step inside but he didn’t really know exactly why. Was there something inside that he wasn’t allowed to see?

Kris was looking at his reflection on the window of his parked car outside when he heard Jongdae’s voice and another familiar voice behind him.

“Are you sure?”

“I’m fine. You don’t have to worry. Secretary Im said that you have the applications.”

“Oh you don’t have to worry about that. I already processed everything for you.”

“Sorry for dragging you into this, Jongdae-oppa.”

“It’s nothing. Ah…wait here.”

Kris turned around and it seemed like he wasn’t the only one shocked seeing Seyoon here. The other also looked at him in disbelief.

“Kris!” Jongdae called Kris but it seemed like the other had already seen then from afar. “I’m sorry Seyoon. I don’t think I could drive you. I still have to attend a meeting this afternoon. It is urgent so…”

“Seyoon, what are you doing here?” Seyoon just stood there dumbfounded, eyes locked on Kris. His question remained unanswered until Jongdae decided to break the seemingly long silence.

“Oh, I got a call. I guess I have to go. See you!” With that, Jongdae left the two alone.

---

Kris checked his phone again. This must have been the reason why Chanyeol and Luhan flooded his inbox since morning – because Seyoon was apparently not where she was supposed to be. The two must have been really worried about her right now. He mentally cursed himself for discarding Chanyeol’s messages. If only he had checked it earlier then maybe…maybe he had done something.

Kris didn’t move at all nor start the engine of the car. The two of them just stayed inside the car without saying anything. Let alone the silence consumed them but he just couldn’t take it anymore.

“You still didn’t answer my question, Seyoon. Why are you here? Aren’t you supposed to be at school right now?”

Seyoon bowed her head slightly, bottom lip being bitten profusely. Kris knew that Seyoon wouldn’t say anything to him. He sighed seeing Seyoon constantly fidgeting with her fingers. This was going nowhere.

Fine. “Have you eaten—”

“Can we go somewhere?” Seyoon spoke all of a sudden. He knew he shouldn’t ask for more. Her eyes were telling him one thing – she didn’t want to go back yet.

---

The engine stopped as Kris pulled off the road in front of a local flower shop. Seyoon requested to stop by and buy flowers before going to their destination. Kris watched her from the car window entering the shop.

Kris never counted how many times he had sighed that day but this was definitely the umpteenth time and maybe more in the future. Seyoon had been quiet throughout their drive.  Jongdae must have detected Seyoon’s downturn so he asked Kris to accompany her in his behalf. Maybe Jongdae knew that Kris was the only one he could rely the most in this situation. But whatever the reason might have been regarding her behavior, he opted to find out. And maybe checking his phone could at least give him clues.

From Chanyeol:

|7:30 am|

Are you with Seyoon?

From Chanyeol:

|8:10 am|

The class has already started and Seyoon’s not yet here.

From Chanyeol:

|9:27 am|

Hey, where are you? Why aren’t you—

From Chanyeol:

|10:00 am|

Sorry if I sent an incomplete message. Almost got into detention there. Good thing, the teacher didn’t see me. Why aren’t you answering? Are you with Seyoon?

From Chanyeol:

|12:21 pm|

Lunch time. Kris, why is Seyoon not here yet? Do you know?

From Chanyeol:

|12:23 pm|

We tried to call you. Why aren’t you answering your phone?

From Chanyeol:

|12: 30 pm|

Kris?

From Chanyeol:

|12:45 pm|

Kreeeaaassseeee?!?!

From Chanyeol:

|12:53 pm|

Fine. I know I know you hate me but we both knew that we care for Seyoon. Kris, the audition for the scholarship will start at one. Seyoon should be here!

 “Oh, snap! What?!” Kris cursed, accidentally hitting the steering wheel. He looked out again at the flower shop and Seyoon was already on her way out. “This is not good,” he mumbled.  

To: Chanyeol

|1:00 pm|

I’ll try to talk to her.

From Chanyeol:

|12:47 pm|

(T^T) Please!

Seyoon entered the car, the flowers sitting on her lap as he looked at Kris fidgeting with his phone.

“Shall we go now?” she asked.

Kris’ lips formed a thin line. Deep inside he wanted to ask Seyoon why she was here and not at her school where she was supposed to audition for the scholarship and yet, on the other hand, he couldn’t help but notice how Seyoon wanted to go to that place she asked Kris to go to.

Kris sighed again for God knows how many times and Seyoon just stared at the freshly wrapped flowers on her lap. There was neither sign of her wanting to go back to school nor any worries about her supposed-to-be audition. All he could see was a calm Seyoon but her eyes were empty, expressionless.

I’m sorry, Chanyeol.

---

When Seyoon entered the car, she saw Kris looking at his phone. That reminded her that she never had a chance to look at hers since this morning. The truth was there was a fear in her of the possible messages that would come out on her phone. She knew that her friends might be worried about her right now. She informed none of them about her plan. There was a possibility that they would not forgive her.

She didn’t just lose one today; she might have lose all of them.

Looking at Kris whose eyes were fixed on the road, she opened her phone to look for her messages. As expected, there were a lot of messages mostly from Chanyeol, a few from Luhan, Kyungsoo, Sehun, and Baekhyun, and none from Kai.

She was hesitating whether to send Chanyeol a message, knowing that she promised Chanyeol that the two of them would audition for the scholarship no matter what. She had broken her promise to him. She was afraid that she couldn’t face him in the future but she had to do this. She didn’t need to audition anymore. This was for the best, she thought. In the end, she sent one message to Chanyeol hoping that the other would understand her.

To Chanyeol:

|1:08 pm|

Promise me that you’ll get the scholarship, Chanyeol. You deserve it.

She tucked the phone inside her pocket as she lay on the car seat, looking out the window. She was going further from her school but she felt that going away once in a while would clear her head of all the distractions. She knew that there would be a greater problem to face when she would come back but right now, all she would want was to get away from it all.

---

Baekhyun saw Kai leaning on the wall near one of the waiting rooms for the students who would audition for the scholarship. At the far end of the hallway were Krystal and some guy he hadn’t seen before. He didn’t understand why Kai was just standing there without doing anything.

“Kai, what are you doing here?” he asked.

Kai stirred from his place as he looked at Baekhyun but Baekhyun also noticed the unknown guy and Krystal turned their heads towards their direction with shocked sprawled all over their faces.

Did I just do something?

“I just thought of visiting someone but I guess it doesn’t matter anymore. I have to go,” Kai replied.

“Oh,” Baekhyun just stood there; wondering where in the world was the awkwardness he was sensing in the air.

The next thing he saw was Krystal desperately calling for Kai’s name and Kai running somewhere with flaming eyes.

I guess I just really did something.

He looked back at Krystal who was now glaring at him. There was definitely something wrong, he sensed. He was about to step back when a certain giant with an unexplainable scowl on his face popped out of nowhere. He had never seen Chanyeol with that kind of face before or maybe he had. But he was sure of one thing – that kind of Chanyeol was definitely not the one anyone should messed up with.

“So, I think I’m not the only who heard your conversation here. It seems like Kai also heard you,” Chanyeol said, dread written all over his face.

“What do you mean?” Krystal asked nervously.

“I heard it – how you planned everything. The reason why Seyoon is not here is because of you two!”

What? Baekhyun stared wide-eyed.

“We didn’t do anything. I don’t know what you’re saying,” Krystal said, trying to sound calm.

Chanyeol smirked. “Really? But I heard it clearly. You and your music coach – you send something to Seyoon and told her lies.  That’s why she’s not here is because you threatened her.”

 “I don’t know how long you’ve been eavesdropping there but I am sure you just misheard everything,” said the unknown guy whom Baekhyun concluded as Krystal’s music coach. But still, he was curious about what they were talking about. He still couldn’t understand. What did Krystal and this coach of her do to make Seyoon quit the audition?

“How could I possibly misunderstand when I clearly understood everything?” Chanyeol towered over Henry with a threatening glare. “Every. Single. Thing.”

 “I don’t know what lies you are trying to come up here,” said the music coach.

“Oh, I don’t lie,” Chanyeol took a step closer. “You said that Seyoon believed in everything that you had said to her. You said that you send her photos of Kai and Krystal.”

Photos of Kai and Krystal? Huh? What does it have to do with Seyoon quitting? Baekhyun just observed from afar.

“I heard what Krystal said. She said that you and she came up with a lie that will surely make Seyoon back-out of the competition.” Chanyeol grabbed the music coach’s collar with his huge hand. His action surprised Baekhyun and Krystal.

“Wha-what are you planning to do? Are you going to punch me now, huh, and then be disqualified to the audition?” Baekhyun saw the music coach smirked all of a sudden. “I guess we don’t have to do anything to take you out of the audition because you will be the reason of your own destruction.”

Chanyeol looked at him wide-eyed. His fist was already hovering above Henry and Baekhyun knew that his friend was itching to punch the man’s face in no time. However, the music coach was right; Chanyeol could possibly be disqualified if he would do anything to the music coach.

“Now what? Do it! Do it if you can!” the man shouted.

Chanyeol gritted his teeth in frustration. Baekhyun was dying to move from his place but his feet seemed to be bound on the ground. If he wouldn’t do anything, Chanyeol would surely be in trouble.

Come Baekhyun move! Help your friend! Argh

“What are you doing there? Mr. Park, Ms. Jung, and Mr. Byun – what is the meaning of this?” said a voice from behind.

Oh no…

---

“Before he died he asked me if I’m happy…”

It took them thirty minutes to get to the columbarium west-side of Seoul. And here they were now, in front of Seyoon’s grandfather’s cinerary urn as she laid the flowers before they offered bows.

 “But I still lied to him when I said I was. I wasn’t.”

Kris remained silent as he felt something painful stinging his heart. Seyoon’s eyes remained unwavering, staring at the photo of his grandfather. What was even more painful to Kris was the fact that she remained stoic, face washed of any emotions, nothing. It pained him when he would see Seyoon sad or crying but it pained him even more not to see her cry when she’s supposed to.

“So I asked myself, what would make me happy? A few days before he died, I agreed to the marriage. For once in my life, I’ve been selfish. I should never ask for something that will never be mine. I shouldn’t think that Kai will like me back.” Seyoon looked up at Kris. “And now I am facing the consequences of what I did.”

 

~*~

“Seyoon-ssi?”

“Who are you?”

“I am one of the coordinator for the SUPA scholarship. Henry, call me Henry. Can we talk just the two of us?”

---

“What are these?” Seyoon asked, staring wide-eyed on the photos laid in front of her, all of which featured Kai and Krystal together. There were even pictures when they went to the amusement park with Seyoon and Luhan.

“I know you could recognize those two.”

“What is the meaning of this?”

“It seems like you also knew about their relationship,” said Henry as he pointed at one of their amusement park photos, she and Luhan trailing behind.

“I don’t understand. Why are you saying this to me?”

“I don’t know if you know the condition of Ms. Jung’s scholarship. She’s entitled to lose her scholarship privileges once her relationship with Mr. Kim is exposed.”

“I still don’t understand. Isn’t it better if you talk about this with them?”

“That would be great but there is still one thing that you should know. Mr. Kim Jong Kook, the person who is sponsoring Krystal’s scholarship is actually one of the directors of Seoul University of Performing Arts scholarship program.”

Seyoon’s eyes twitched. She didn’t like the pace of their conversation. Just this morning, she was practicing with her friends for the scholarship and now, she felt like everything would go down the drain.

“He will also be one of the judges in the upcoming audition. I’m sure you’ve heard how they praised your performance in your school festival. However, this picture of the four of you,” Henry picked up one of the pictures in the pile, “It clearly shows that you are aware of their relationship. If Mr. Jong Kook finds out about it, I am sure you will lose your chance to get the scholarship. And not only yours, Mr. Jung and Mr. Kim’s chances will also be slim.”

“What…what do you want me to do then?” Seyoon muttered.

“Simple. I will let you decide if you’re going to expose their relationship to the director or not.”

“What? Why me?”

“Why not? In that way, you will just appear to be a concerned student aiming for what is right and the two of them will be disqualified. But if I will be the one exposing it then, instead of two, all three of you will lose your chance. Do you want that to happen? I’m giving you the opportunity now. Save your chance, Seyoon-ssi.”

“What if I choose not to?”

“Then, I’ll expose it myself and everyone who knew about their relationship will also be called for questioning; that means we have to call everyone who knew about their relationship including your other friends. That’s a greater scandal to handle. I’ll leave these photos here. I’ll wait for your decision.”

---

“Did you give her the photos?”

“It’s all done.”

“Did you make sure that Kai saw the both of you together?”

“I think so. What do we do next?”

“We have to make sure that Kai will see those photos in Seyoon’s hands then the scholarship is mine.”

“Then, you and your boyfriend will get the scholarship and then it’s happily ever after?”

Krystal just shrugged but the sly smile she had was screaming victory, thinking that everything was already on her hands.

~*~

“Hello?”

“Jongdae-hyung?”

“Kai? Aren’t you supposed to be in cla—”

“Seyoon, have you seen her?”

Even though Jongdae couldn’t see it, he could hear the desperate tone coming from Kai’s voice over the phone. He wasn’t surprised. After all, Seyoon was the first one to surprise him after appearing in front of his desk this morning, demanding to talk to hers and Kai’s father. He wasn’t expecting it at all but after a few eavesdropping and window peeking, he was sure that Kai would come looking for her.

“Well…”

“Please hyung, I really need to know where she is right now. It’s an important mat—”

“She’s not here, Kai, but she asked me earlier if I could drive her to her grandpa’s—Hello? Kai? Did he just hang up on me? That kid…I wonder if he could do anything to save her.”

“Secretary Chen.” Jongdae looked up from his cubicle to see Yoona looking at him. “Who are you talking with?”

“None of your business. What do you want?”

“You got Seyoon’s applications, right?”

“Yeah, you gave it to me, remember? Do you have a short term memory or what?” Jongdae scoffed before his finger headed back to the keyboard, his eyes to the monitor.

“I know but have you—”

“I already did my job, Yoona. I’m fast as lightning bolt in every task given to me,” unlike you, “so shoo—you’re disturbing me,” said Jongdae as he waved his hand.

“Pft. It’s a good thing that Seyoon already agreed to take business courses. I thought she wouldn’t agree to her parents. I’m just wondering what came to her mind that she decided to agree on it.”

“Stop meddling into other people’s business or do you want your next job to go back to square one,” Jongdae stood a little, body being propped by his arms, “behind the reception desk where you really belong.”

Yoona glared at him as she huffed before walking out, leaving Jongdae behind his desk. He smirked as he plopped on his swivel chair. “Or maybe it is I who will be fired if they find out that I gave Kris the documents,” he mumbled before heaving a sigh. “That Kai should do something.”

---

“Can you wait for me here?” said Kris as he excused himself to go to the restroom. But he wouldn’t tell Seyoon the real reason – that he wasn’t comfortable because his phone kept on vibrating in his pocket.

“I’ll just go ahead then,” said Seyoon. Kris gave her a nod before heading off.

When he was sure that Seyoon was out of sight, he immediately fished the phone out of his pocket.

“Kris!”

It was too late for Kris to move away the phone from his ear when the other person on the line started shouting. “What?”

“Kris! This is Luhan. Chanyeol said that you’re with Seyoon. Is she there? Huh? Huh?”

“Relax. She’s here. Why?”

“You have to bring her here right now!”

Kris cringed with Luhan’s loud voice. If only the boy was in front of him, he would surely smack him on the head. “Do you really have to shout?”

“It’s an emergency. Bring her here, now.”

“I don’t think I can do that, Luhan.”

“Why?”

“I don’t think she wanted to go back right now.”

Kris was sure he heard someone’s voice on the other line cursing when Luhan hissed and shouted again. “Kris! This is for Seyoon, okay? She’s supposed to be here. Bring her here or else Kyungsoo will do something.”

The one who cursed must be Kyungsoo, he thought. “All right, I’ll talk to her. You see, it’s not easy, okay? I don’t know but she’s acting weird.” Kris started walking towards the parking lot.

“Oh, we know the reason so bring her here now.”

“You know?”

“Yes! And by the way, Kai left earlier so I assumed she’s looking for Seyoon now.”

Kris stopped his tracks when he reached the parking lot. “Luhan…I don’t think I could bring Seyoon there.”

“Why?” there’s a tone of confusion and concern in Luhan’s voice. “Why, Kris?! Why?!”

“Okay, shut up. I can’t bring Seyoon there because she’s not here anymore.”

---

Seyoon was already exiting the columbarium when a figure reached for her from behind grabbing her wrist. She turned around, eyebrows creased when she saw an unexpected person right in front of her.

“Kai, what are you doing here?”

“Let’s go,” he said, hand tightened on Seyoon’s wrist.

“Aren’t you supposed to be on your audition?”

“My audition? It’s our audition, Seyoon. You’re also supposed to be there.”

“I,” Seyoon suddenly avoided Kai’s eyes. “I can’t. I’m sorry.”

“What? But you have to.”

“No, you have to. You should go for the audition. You’re not supposed to be here, Kai. Go back there now.”

“No, I won’t.”

Seyoon’s eyebrows furrowed more, teeth clenching as she grabbed Kai’s wrist. “Did you take the bus or what? I’ll call Kris to drive you back.”

“No.” Kai grabbed Seyoon’s phone in an instant. “I have Sehun’s car. Now, go with me or else I won’t audition.”

Seyoon’s eyes widened but she didn’t protest anymore when Kai grabbed her hand and brought her to the parking lot.

“We’re doing this together,” were the last words she heard before Kai entered the car, motioning her to go inside with him.

She had no choice.

---

Taecyeon adjusted the rear-view mirror as he let out an awkward cough, breaking the silence inside the car. Maybe it wouldn’t be this awkward if he wasn’t disturbed while he was sleeping. First of all, Sehun’s friend suddenly appeared in front of him while he was leisurely taking a nap at the back of the car. Second, this friend of Sehun, whom he knew was named Kai, demanded that he should drive for him. Third, they were going around in circles with no clear directions when the boy suddenly shouted that he already knew their destination. After an hour of driving, they arrived in a much unexpected place, a columbarium, and Sehun’s another friend, whom he knew was named Seyoon, was standing alone in the parking lot.

The next thing Taecyeon knew, they were all inside the car; Seyoon was on the right side of the back seat not saying anything while Kai was on the left-most side, eyes locked on Seyoon.

To make things comfortable for him, he decided to put his earphones on. This wouldn’t be a smooth ride back to school.

---

“You don’t really have to come after me. I’m with Kris.”

“I have to…and I want to.”

Seyoon shifted her gaze from the window to Kai whose eyes were still locked on her. She was supposed to say something when her phone rang. “Hello? Kris?”

Kai quickly snatched the phone away from Seyoon. “Don’t worry about her. She’s with me,” he said coldly before hanging up the phone. He returned the phone to Seyoon who didn’t say anything to him or even get mad at him for what he did.

“Hostility won’t bring you any good? He’s a kind friend you know. You really don’t have to—”

“I don’t like him,” Kai stated, earning him a sigh and a gaze of disappointment from Seyoon. “Sorry. I just—I don’t like him because…because you look different when you’re with him,” he muttered.

Seyoon stared at him wide-eyed in surprise but her looks soften once again. “I’m not different when I’m with him. I’m just comfortable being myself because he’s also being true to me. I trust him. We trust each other.”

Kai flinched, eyes widened because Seyoon’s words were true, because that was one thing they lacked the most – trust. Guilt was pricking him once again. “I’m sorry.”

“What for?”

“For not trusting you. There were just things I don’t understand but I tried. No. I should have trusted you.”

“You don’t have to. Don’t apologize. It’s my fault for not saying anything. I actually planned to tell things to you, I just don’t know when. I’m sorry. Those pictures were—”

“No. I don’t want to talk about it. I trust you. That’s enough.”

There was a moment of silence but Seyoon knew that Kai was sincere when he said that even though his eyes were avoiding hers. But there was still something that Seyoon wanted to tell Kai but she didn’t know when.

---

“Thank you, Taecyeon-ssi,” said Kai before closing the car door. “Let’s go. The audition might still be on going.”

“But what if we don’t make it. What about you?”

Kai swayed his head motioning his hands upward as if inviting Seyoon to take it. When Seyoon didn’t move, Kai sighed before interlocking his hand with hers with no hesitation. “We have to make it.”

The next thing Seyoon knew, they were already dashing towards the theater hall, panting and sweating before they halted in front of the door. They looked at each other before Kai turned the knob. And to their dismay, the theater was already empty when they get there. They shouldn’t be surprised. It was already half past four and the audition was only scheduled from one to four.

Seyoon could feel the anger seeping through her veins. “Look what you’ve done. You weren’t able to audition because of me,” she said desperately.

Kai looked at her apologetically. “I lied. I’m already done with the audition. I only lied to you because I thought that’s the only way I could make you come with me. Because,” Kai stopped as he tried to muffle to sobbing sounds escaping his lips. He was already bowing his head to hide the tears that he couldn’t hold anymore to flow from his eyes. “I thought we could make it to the audition so you could—”

Seyoon’s hands clenched on her sides but her hands still found their way to capture Kai, who was slowly curling, in a comforting embrace.  

“I’m sorry,” he mumbled.

“It’s okay,” she cooed repeatedly. “I choose not to audition and I am not planning to do it either even if we make it. I already have withdrawn my application. I’m sorry, Kai. I’m sorry.”

Kai continued to bury his head on Seyoon, forehead touching her shoulders as she continued to rub his back in comforting circles. The echoes of Kai’s muffled cry were the only thing they’ve heard when the door suddenly opened. Seyoon turned her head to see her friends entering the door.

“You’re here,” said Sehun.

Kai lifted his head from Seyoon’s but his forearm still covered his swollen eyes.

Kyungsoo and Luhan came afterwards; the two immediately dashed to Seyoon to give her a hug. “I’m sorry guys.”

Sehun looked at Kai whose head was still lowered. “It’s okay,” he whispered. “But we still have things to do.”

Kai lifted his head to look at Sehun with questioning eyes. “What do you mean?”

“Seyoon,” Sehun called. “It’s good that Kai was able to bring you back here but you have to come with us to the guidance counselor’s office.”

“Guidance? What do you mean?”

“Chanyeol and Baekhyun were also there.”

Seyoon gasped. “What? Was Chanyeol able to audition?”

Luhan and Kyungsoo lowered and swayed their heads. “No,” they mumbled.

“I’ll be back,” said Seyoon as she left the theater hall. Sehun came for her afterwards. Kai was supposed to go but Luhan held him tightly.

“Wait here. There’s something we have to tell you.”

---

Luhan, Kyungsoo, and Kai waited inside the theater hall for their friends when Baekhyun returned.

“What happened?” Kyungsoo asked him immediately.

“I don’t know what their decision will be. We just have to wait here,” Baekhyun said with a scowl before sitting next to Kai.

“What’s the real reason you are called there? Sehun isn’t saying anything.”

“Well, I think Kai also knew the real reason why. He was there before he ran somewhere leaving me and Chanyeol behind.”

“Chanyeol was there? But I only saw Krystal and Mr. Lau.”

“Like you, he was also listening to their conversation. And that Mr. Lau isn’t Krystal’s music coach. Her real music coach took a leave because she was sick. Mr. Lau or Henry is a student from SUPA and Krystal’s sister’s suitor. It turns out they planned everything to have those students with potential to quit the audition. Howon, Hyorin, Hyunseung, and other students from another class were also trapped in their scheme. We’re just lucky that Hyungsik from Class 3-E investigated the truth so he decided to tell it to the principal. All they needed was Seyoon’s testimony to complete the evidences.”

“I knew it! That girl is made of evil from head to—” Luhan immediately clamped Kyungsoo’s mouth knowing that Kai was just sitting beside them. Speaking of the other, it seemed like Kai was frozen in his place. The truth was hardly processing in his mind.

“Sshh, he had enough,” Luhan whispered to Kyungsoo. He diverted his gaze at Kai.

It must have been hard on him, Luhan thought, especially when it wasn’t only about what Baekhyun had said about Krystal that got to him. Luhan also had to break his and Kyungsoo’s discovery that afternoon about Ji Eun and Seyoon. Luhan confronted Ji Eun the moment she went out of class. He tried to be composed as what Kyungsoo told him. After asking Ji Eun if she had anything to do with what was currently happening to Seyoon, Ji Eun denied it but she admitted that she had an idea of who might do something bad to Seyoon. It turned out that those bullying attempts that she had done before were all dictated by Krystal as she was blackmailed by the other since Ji Eun was also a scholar of the school.

Not only that but Kyungsoo also had too disclosed the long forgotten issue about what Kai had done to Seyoon two years ago that made Seyoon avoided him for almost two years. Kai was shocked at first but he just took everything and realized everything. He didn’t even know how to face Seyoon anymore.

Luhan let go of Kyunsoo and placed his arm on Kai’s shoulder. “Sorry for that. It must have been hard for you to know all of those things about Krystal. You’ve suffered enough today.”

“I’m sorry, Kai. I didn’t mean to—”

“No, it’s okay Kyungsoo. At least, I am able to find out everything. And it’s not I who suffered the most. It’s Seyoon. I’m so oblivious of everything that was happening to her and about Krystal’s real identity. I should have been more open-minded.” Kai buried his bead on his palms. Baekhyun placed his hand on Kai’s knee in attempt to comfort him when the door opened again. Kai lifted his head to the noise coming from the entrance. And there they were, Sehun, Chanyeol, and Seyoon.

“What happened? What did they say to you?”

“We’re given another chance to audition but…” Chanyeol turned his head to Seyoon.

Seyoon lips tugged into a thin line. “I’m sorry but I decided not to audition anymore.”

“Why?” Kyungsoo asked frantically. “You deserve the scholarship as much as Chanyeol does. Besides, you already have your audition piece.”

“I’m really sorry for that. I know that you’ve helped me and I am extremely thankful for that – I really am – but I decided to drop from the audition prior to this and it has nothing to do with what Krystal did to me or what. It’s my own decision.”

Kai didn’t understand but the way Seyoon’s eyes were firmed and there was sign of defeat in her voice as she spoke, there was really something that was bothering him. Seyoon was too calm with the way she had faced everything. The only time that she saw her anxious was when Kai lied that he hadn’t auditioned yet. But everything else, she seemed nonchalant about what happened to her. Was she really someone who would forget all the bad things that were done to her? Was she someone who would just accept everything as it was?

Kai didn’t notice as his body unknowingly made its way towards Seyoon and enclosed her in a hug. Everyone was surprised by his sudden action, including Seyoon who stood frozen and wide-eyed in surprise, but no one was saying anything.

“I’m sorry. I’m really sorry.” Kai felt so stupid with everything that happened that all he could do was to apologize. He felt like everything was his fault that all of these happened to Seyoon. If only he hadn’t gotten close to Krystal in the first place. If only he was brave enough to face what he really felt for Seyoon. If only he wasn’t coward and easily be affected by jealousy of Seyoon and Chanyeol’s closeness. If only he had admitted his feelings for her early on then…then this wouldn’t happen in the first place. It was his entire fault, he thought, all his.

“You don’t have to apologize. You didn’t do anything,” said Seyoon while gently rubbing Kai’s back.

“Isn’t that my problem all along? I didn’t do anything when I’m supposed to. I didn’t trust you when I’m supposed to. I didn’t protect you when I’m supposed to.” Kai didn’t care anymore even if all of his friends were seeing him like this but he couldn’t contain his tears which were now flowing freely from his eyes.

“No, you’re wrong for everything that you have said. You have done a lot of things for me, Kai. Even if you didn’t say that you trusted me, I know that you’re always there for me. And it’s not true that you didn’t protect me because you did since the day we’ve met. You’re like my second brother, remember?”

“But those are not enough for what you have done for me in return—”

“I’m not asking for anything big in return, Kai, as long as you are alright then I am too.” Seyoon lifted Kai’s body from hers as her thumbs wiped away the tears that glistened Kai’s face. “That’s what friends are for,” she said with a smile that made Kai’s world stopped for a moment; his heart beating rapidly. If only his friends weren’t there, his impulsive response to that smile would probably be a kiss but he couldn’t especially when Seyoon’s smile was sincere and genuine. And she mentioned ‘friends’ that Kai felt like it was inappropriate to expect more than that.

Seyoon turned to her friends as she spoke. “I hope you accept my decision of dropping from the audition. I just thought that it is the best for me. Once again, I deeply apologize.”

As painful and unacceptable as it was, Seyoon’s friends approached her and gave her a nod.

“It’s alright. You don’t have to apologize,” said Kyungsoo as he hugged her.

“Even though it’s really regretful, if you’re happy with your decision then I am too,” said Baekhyun.

Luhan didn’t say any word as he hugged Seyoon. It didn’t take long because Chanyeol snatched her from him and enclosed her in a tight hug. “I promise to get the scholarship for you,” he said.

“I know you will,” Seyoon replied as she patted Chanyeol’s back.

“Can I have one request?” the tall boy asked without letting go of the embrace.

“What is it?”

“Can you…can you sing your audition piece for us?”

---

“I wrote this song two years ago with the help of Chanyeol,” Kai frowned when he heard Chanyeol frantically clapping beside Luhan with teeth showing in his wide grin but nonetheless, he felt grateful to hear Seyoon’s audition piece which he thought he wouldn’t be able to.

If only he knew that she had written it for him.

“Lay helped me with the music arrangement and although we practiced it for just a week, I hope you’ll like it as much as how important this song is for me. This may be the first and the last time that I’ll perform it,” there was a slight change in Seyoon’s expression but it immediately turned into a smile as she faced the piano, all of her friends encircling her on the stage.

There are so many things I couldn’t say
You have never heard them before but
I’m not someone
who just loves anyone I see

Because among the many people in this world
I could only see you

I am standing here as I only see you
After this love, I don’t really know what will happen
Just like child who is always this way,
Will you warmly hold me right now?

Though someday your name might become strange
My heart will remember all the memories
Even if a painful separation comes between us
Let’s not think about that today

Because among the many people in this world
I could only see you

I am standing here as I only see you
After this love, I don’t really know what will happen
Just like child who is always this way,
Will you warmly hold me closer?

Now I’m not alone
Only you
who has come to me from that place-

Only you are my everything
After this love, I don’t really know what will happen
Just like child who is always this way,
Will you warmly hold me closer?

Closer
Warmer
Will you hold me?

The song finished with a heavy feeling pinned down on Kai’s chest, something he couldn’t explain why he was feeling it. There was something in Seyoon’s voice, soothing and heartfelt but at the same time, there was a painful tone in every words. Even Seyoon’s expression as she sang the song looked as if she was concealing something inside that Kai couldn’t see.

---

Kris was waiting on the school’s parking lot, hoping to see Seyoon because her bag was still inside his car, when his phone suddenly rang.

“Hello?”

“Yifan?”

That was the second time I was called by my first name today, he thought. “Suho? Why?”

“Did Seyoon say anything to you?”

“About what?”

“She’s entering business school.”

“I already know that but the applications—”

“Kris…

---

When the song ended, Kai’s friends immediately approached Seyoon to congratulate her for a great performance. He was about to approach her too but his phone suddenly rang.

“Hello? Mom? Why did you call?”

“Kai? Has Seyoon already talked to you?”

“Talk to me about what?” Kai looked at Seyoon’s direction. He smiled when he saw her smiling at their friends. “What is it that we have to talk about?”

“She went earlier to the company to talk to your father and her father.”

“About what?”

---

“Seyoon doesn’t just agree to enter business school for nothing. She agreed in exchange for one thing,” Suho said on the line.

“What do you mean?”

---

“Seyoon have withdrawn from the arranged marriage. She decided to quit,” said his mother. Kai didn’t know if it was intuition that made Seyoon look at his direction the same way as he looked at her. Suddenly her smile faded and turned into an apologetic expression. She might have detected something from the way he looked at her. She might have known what the phone call was all about.

It was all over.

~*~

“I will agree to enter business school as per your request in exchange for one thing.”

Her father and Mr. Kim looked at him in question.

“Give me and Kai’s freedom back. Retract the arranged marriage and I promised to dedicate my whole life for this company.”

~*~

 

 That night, Seyoon didn’t go home to their apartment.

 

 

 

 

 


 

song here and lyrics here