33

Just When I Thought I Was Over You
 

XXXIII

 

 

As Seyoon expected, Kai was outside the apartment building, waiting for her. He was leaning on a light post and it illuminated the place where he was standing just enough to see his worried face. She could see his anxiety while he looked at his phone from time to time.

“It seems like you have a lot of apologizing to do,” Suho said to her as he pulled over. It took a while before Kai noticed that the car stopped for him.

“Kai…” Seyoon called his name from the window. Kai, didn’t expect it, went closer and took a peek of who’s driving the car.

“Nice to see you again,” Suho greeted him.

“Hyung…”

---

Even though Kai only knew Seyoon when they were in middle school, he had known Suho a little earlier. He remembered when he met him when they were in primary school. Suho just came from America where he was born and grew up. They were introduced, of course, because of their closed family connections.

Suho was someone he really couldn’t call a ‘friend’ but he was definitely a brother-like to him. He admired him, respected him, but at the same time, he also feared him. He knew he was a kind person and everyone in their school could prove that yet, there was really something in him that everyone was afraid to make him angry or mad. Luckily, no one had ever seen him got angry. Even though he became the student council president, he would always face problems calmly and a smile plastered on his face.

---

"Hyung?"

“Hmm?”

“Didn’t you say that you have a sister? What does she look like?”

“Ahh…she’s plump, she’s eats a lot, she’s not really good in sports, and she always gets tired easily. Just imagine that I have to carry her every after we jogged around the neighborhood. She doesn’t really get mad no matter how much you’ll , but she will make you feel guilty. Like that time when I that she’s getting fat, she never show her anger but the next day, she doesn’t eat anything at all. Of course, I would feel guilty. The next thing I knew, I already gave her all my share of food. In short, she’s a little devil,” he told him.

---

He knew that Suho didn’t really talk a lot. But when it came to her sister, he sure had a lot of things to say. Every time Kai would ask him about his sister, it would take a lot of time before he would finish what he was saying. It seemed like he didn’t notice it at all and the next thing they knew, it was already dinner. He knew at that moment that they were really close.

Of course, when Kai finally met Seyoon, he didn’t really expect her to look like that. Although, she still had those chubby cheeks when he met her, she was really far from what he imagined her to be. And like his brother, she sure smiled a lot…that time.

 

“Have you eaten yet?” Seyoon asked Kai. How, of all the things, have she forgotten about Kai? Maybe she was too preoccupied by his brother’s appearance that she forgot about him. And she knew perfectly well that Kai was the type of person who didn’t really bother to cook for himself. He’d rather starve and wait for someone to make meals for him.

“Don’t worry. I already ate. I heat up the leftover food in the microwave,” he said to her. Somehow, Seyoon felt guilty that all Kai ate were leftovers. But then, Kai seemed satisfied and didn’t show any sign of disappointment.

“It’s okay. I’ll treat you someday for a meal, just the two of us,” Suho said. Somehow his lat statement made Kai nervous, even Seyoon.

“Well I guess I have to say what I have to say since we’re all here,” Suho started. Kai and Seyoon looked at each other and then at Suho. “You see, our parents are out on a trip and I kind of feel not good to stay alone at home so if I may ask you, can I stay here until I finish my research?” he asked.

Kai gulped a lot worries upon hearing him while Seyoon blinked several times still trying to register what her brother had just said. “Stay here? Here?” Seyoon repeated. Suho nodded with worry on his face.

“Is it alright?” Suho asked again.

“Of course, you are always welcome here hyung,” Kai replied.

Seyoon looked at Kai. She didn’t expect this at all. It’s not that she was not happy that her brother would stay with them for a while but she knew the consequences. Although it wouldn’t be hard for her and Kai anymore to ‘pretend’ that they were fully alright because Kai could already talk to her casually, she admitted that there were still more silent moments between them. He hardly seen him in school and he hardly join them in lunch time. The only time that they would talk would be in the morning. And they both knew how awkward those mornings were.

“Good then. I guess I’ll just sleep here on the couch,” Suho said.

“No! You can occupy my bed, hyung…” Kai said shyly. “I’ll sleep in the couch. It’s okay with me,” he said.

“No need. I won’t stay here that long anyway. It’s alright,” Suho replied. Although Kai still wanted to push it through, he knew that smile in Suho’s face meant that it was really alright and no more arguments needed.

“Okay…” he said.

---

 The next morning, Kai was awakened by laughter and sizzling sounds in the kitchen. He slightly opened his door, just enough to take a peek of what’s happening. He saw Suho and Seyoon cooking together. He couldn’t help but smile seeing the two so close to each other and the smile in Seyoon’s face was really different, it was the smile he used to see before. It has been a while since he saw that, and because of her brother, he was able to see it again.

“Stop!” Seyoon said to his brother.

“Why?” Suho asked her.

“Kai doesn’t really like sunny side up egg. He preferred poached or scrambled,” she claimed. Somehow, Kai thought of it and how his breakfast always seemed so perfect every day. It was only now that he realized that Seyoon would think of those small details of what he liked.

“Really? You sure know a lot about Kai.”

“Well…” Kai saw how Seyoon averted her gaze to the floor. “It’s because I know him for so long now, that’s all,” she said.

“I’m sure you’ll be a perfect wife for him,” Suho teased. Somehow, Kai was flushed upon hearing what Suho had said.

“Yah oppa! Can we just make this breakfast faster? We still have to go to school,” she said annoyed.

“Why? Are you thinking about being Luhan’s wife instead?” Suho continued to tease. What he missed the most about his sister was to as much as possible.

“Yah!” she finally shouted.

Kai immediately closed the door seeing Seyoon’s flushed face. He didn’t know if she was blushing because she was plain mad of Suho’s continuous teasing or because of the idea of being Luhan’s wife. Kai sighed deeply before going to the bathroom to prepare himself for school.

---

Suho gave them a ride to the school. Seyoon saw that Kai was somehow occupied by his own thoughts. They were already in front of their school but Kai’s mind seemed to be floating somewhere far.

“We’re already here,” Suho said to them.

Nothing really occupied Kai’s mind other than what Suho said earlier. ‘Kai’s wife? Luhan’s wife? Perfect to be Kai’s wife…’ Kai shook his thoughts upon hearing Seyoon’s voice.

“Let’s go,” she said to him.

“Ah, okay. Thank you hyung!” he said before he left the car.

As expected, Luhan was already there but he seemed to bow when he saw Suho inside the car. He waved at the car as it left. Kai just glared at him before he walked straight ahead.

“See you,” Kai heard Seyoon’s voice.

Kai turned around and smiled at her. “See you,” he said before he walked off again.

“What’s wrong with him?” Chanyeol, who also happened to be early that day, asked Seyoon.

“I don’t know,” Seyoon said, quite concerned.

“Let’s go!” Chanyeol said to her.

“Hey wait!” Luhan shouted.

‘What does it really takes to be called a perfect wife?’ Kai asked himself. ‘Is it enough that you know that you love her? Or is it also important that you know how much she loves you?’ he thought. Just then, he saw Krystal already walking beside him. ‘Both maybe and Krystal is…’