34 - 1

Just When I Thought I Was Over You
 

XXXIV - 1

 

 

“Really? That’s funny,” laughed Baekhyun.

“I know right. I really thought the team would lose. If only I knew they would win, I would have bet more,” said Chanyeol.

“In the end, Suho-sunbaenim became the biggest earner,” said Kyungsoo.

All of sudden, Luhan’s senses became sensitive once again. It was not only because his plate was jumping because of Chanyeol’s constant pounding of the table due to too much laughter.  His ears were alerted as ever as he extended his neck, trying to hear more of their conversation especially since it involved a name he's familiar with.

“I never thought Suho-sunbaenim could cook well,” said Kyungsoo.

“I also didn’t expect that he could play MMORPG that well,” said Sehun.

“Are you talking about Seyoon’s brother?” asked Xiumin.

Chanyeol nodded. “I wish we could go to your house again Seyoon. I wanted to learn a lot from Suho-sunbaenim. He’s the best!” he said happily.

‘Go to their house ‘again’? It means they’ve been going to Seyoon’s house often. This is bad, I should be the one who should make good impressions to him, not them, especially not this laughing giraffe with elf ears,’ Luhan thought.

“I never thought he really is that kind and outgoing person because based on what Luhan said to us...mmph,” before Xiumin finished what he was going to say, Luhan shoved food inside his mouth. Everybody looked at Luhan but the one he noticed the most was Seyoon’s curious expression.

“He said he was scary,” Lay finished. Luckily he was sitting far from Luhan, far from Luhan’s hands could reach.

Luhan looked at Seyoon to see if she would be angry or not. Surpisingly, she was not. She just continued what she was eating without looking at him.

“It’s natural for Luhan to say that especially when his first meeting with Suho-sunbaenim was something he didn’t want to remember,” Baekhyun said. Chanyeol grimaced at him which irritated Luhan. But he tried to stay still since he knew it was true. So he made a promise to himself that he would try to show a good impression to Seyoon’s brother. And the only way was…

---

“Seyoon!” Luhan shouted. As usual, Seyoon tried to lower her head since they were outside the entrance of the school and every girl was glaring at her now.

“I told you not to shout my name,” she said to her.

“Sorry.”

“What?”

“Huh?

“What do you want? You called me, right? What do you want?” she asked him, annoyed.

“Can…hmm…can I go to your house?” he asked shyly.

“What? No,” she said coldly as she went on walking.

“Wait. Please…” he pleaded with his pouting lips.

“No. There’s no reason for you to go there,” she said.

“Why? Why are your friends able to go to your house without permission? Why am I not allowed like them?”

“My brother asked them to come. Besides, they are always welcome to go there since they are my and Kai’s friends.”

“Why? I am your friend too,” he said, puffing his face.

‘There he is again, trying to be cute,’ Seyoon thought. “Yes, you’re my friend but I am not in the mood to invite you. Sorry. Maybe next time,” she said as she tried to walk again. But Luhan was too persistent as she grabbed her arm.

“Wait. I have some things to ask you…,” he said. Seyoon looked at him, frowning. “I have some things I don’t understand in our math class and…”

“But we are not in the same math class.”

“But I’m sure we are studying the same topic. Please, just help me,” he said, clasping his hands together.

“Did you just make that up?”

“No! I’m really planning to ask you to tutor me.”

Seyoon looked at him with doubt. “Aren’t you just planning something?”

“Planning what? I’m not that kind of person…”

“Tsk. Knowing you, I am sure you have some other things planning to do,” she said.

“Knowing me? So you know me a lot know, huh? Kya! Seyoon already knows Luhan well. I am so happy,” he said holding Seyoon’s hand and smiling really wide. If anyone would see them, they would surely think that the person she was with was crazy.

“Stop it. That’s not what I meant,” she said, pulling her hand. Luhan chuckled gleefully. “Fine, you can go. But don’t do anything stupid. Remember, my brother is there.”

“Alright, I will,” he said with a huge grin on his face.

---

“It looks like no one is here yet,” Seyoon said upon seeing the empty apartment.

“Well, it is good then,” said Luhan with a smirk.

“What?” Seyoon scowled at him.

“No, I mean…tsk…it is bad then. I was hoping to see Kai or your brother,” said Luhan.

Seyoon rolled her eyes. Somehow, she regretted bringing Luhan home but it was too late now so she had no choice but to endure his pesky behavior.

“Wait here. I’ll just get some things,” said Seyoon, entering her room and leaving Luhan alone. After a while, she still didn’t come out which made Luhan concerned.

“What are you doing?” asked Kai with his cold eyes after seeing Luhan trying to open Seyoon’s door.

“Ah…nothing,” he said, hiding his hand in his pocket.

Just then, Seyoon opened the door and saw Kai standing near Luhan. “Oh you’re already here,” she said to Kai and Kai nodded in response. “So what’s the problem you’re having in Math?” she asked Luhan.  

Kai, who’s supposed to enter his room, heard her question. ‘Problem in Math? But he’s always good in Math,’ he thought. He knew it since they were in the same Math class and he knew that out of all subjects, Mathematics was Luhan’s forte. He swayed his head upon seeing Luhan’s enthusiastic face as Seyoon started to teach him. “What an excuse,” Kai said rather loudly. Seyoon didn’t seem to hear it but Luhan did as he glared at Kai’s door being slammed closed.

After an hour, Seyoon already finished teaching Luhan. She didn’t seem to have a problem with him because obviously, Luhan already knew everything. “Hey look Kai, I am able to answer the difficult problems. Do you want me teach you? Seyoon is a great teacher,” he said, putting his arm on Kai’s shoulder and with an annoying smile on his face.

“I don’t need your help,” Kai said coldly, throwing Luhan’s arm away and continued walking to the kitchen.

Just then, the entrance door opened and Suho entered the house.

“Hello sunbaenim!” Luhan greeted happily, making sure that he bowed exactly ninety degrees.

“Oh, you’re here,” Suho greeted with a smile.

“I just finish teaching him something in Math,” said Seyoon.

“Okay. Why don’t you stay here for dinner?” Suho asked Luhan.

“If it’s alright with you then I will. Thank you sunbaenim!” he said. Kai rolled his eyes, couldn’t take Luhan’s unexpected politeness.

“I’ll start cooking then,” Seyoon said.

“Ah, do you want me to help you? Just tell me, I’ll help you with anything. I somehow know how to cook,” Luhan said. Once in a while, he would glance at Suho to see if he was able to hear what he said and he could see Suho smiling at them.

“I’ll just change clothes,” he said before he disappeared in Seyoon’s room.

“Kai, is there any food you particularly want to eat today? I really don’t know what to cook,” Seyoon asked Kai. Luhan was just in the middle of the two of them. He glared at Kai then looked at Seyoon, pouting.

“Aren’t you going to ask me?” Luhan asked Seyoon.

“No,” she said coldly to him.

Somehow, Kai smiled on the side and looked back at Seyoon. “Why don’t we have spicy Korean beef soup? It’s Suho-hyung’s favorite food, right?” he said to her.

‘Favorite food? He knows his favorite food. Tsk. And…hyung? He calls Suho-sunbaenim, hyung? Why is he close to him?’ Luhan thought. “Nice choice Kai,” he said to Kai, smiling. Kai smiled back but Luhan knew it was fake.

Suho went out wearing casual clothes. “What are you cooking?” he asked Seyoon.

“Yukaejang. Kai requested it since it is your favorite,” Seyoon said to his brother.

“Really? That’s good then. Thanks, Jongin-ah,” he said, smiling to Kai. Luhan frowned upon hearing Kai’s name being praised by Suho.

‘Kai, plus point~, Luhan...zero’ Kai thought with a smirk and looked at Luhan with his cold eyes.

“I think there’s a game today,” Suho said.

‘Game?’ “What game?” Luhan asked Seyoon.

“My brother likes watching soccer games,” Seyoon said to him. “Aren’t you going to help me? You said you are…” Before she even finished what she was saying, she saw Luhan already sitting beside Suho on the couch. “Help huh?”

“Do you need help?” Kai asked her.

“Ahh…is it alright if you help me?” she asked Kai.

“Of course! What can I do for you?” he asked her. Somehow, his question made Seyoon flushed but she tried to sway her thoughts.

“Ahh…please prepare the bean sprouts and the scallion,” she said shyly.

“Okay,” Kai said to her as he went beside Seyoon and started preparing the bean sprouts and the scallion. They didn’t know that Suho was glancing at them with a smile on his face. Then he looked at Luhan who was focused on the game.

‘This kid must like soccer that much,’ Suho thought. “Hey, do you like soccer?” Suho asked him.

“Yes,” he replied smiling with his eyes still fixed on the screen.

“What’s your favorite team?” Suho asked.

“Manchester United,” Luhan replied enthusiastically.

“We’re the same then.”

“Really, sunbaenim? Great!” Luhan suddenly thought that this was the opportunity to impress Suho. They’ve been watching and talking about the game and Manchester United while Seyoon and Kai continued preparing the meal.

“AH!” Kai cried in pain. He seemed to brush the blade of the knife on the tip of his finger while he was chopping the scallions.

“Omo! Wait, I’ll get the first aid kit,” Seyoon said to him.

“No, I’ll get it myself. Just continue cooking,” Kai insisted.

“No, I’ll be the one. Wait for me,” Seyoon said as she dashed to the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. She went back and started applying antiseptic on Kai’s wound. And then, she put an adhesive bandage to cover it. “It’s okay now. I’ll just continue what you are chopping,” she said.

“No, it’s okay. I can still manage to hold the knife,” he said as he grabbed the knife and started chopping.

“Alright,” Seyoon replied.

Somehow, Luhan was able to see everything and he couldn’t help but felt jealous even though there was no reason for him to be since he already knew that Kai already had a girlfriend. But he couldn’t take his mind off of their closeness.

While they were eating, Suho and Luhan continued their soccer conversation. “Do you know that Luhan also like Manchester United?” Suho said to Seyoon.

“Really?” said Seyoon.

“Unfortunately, Seyoon doesn’t like Manchester United anymore,” Suho said to Luhan. Luhan looked at Seyoon, surprised, even Kai. They didn’t know that Seyoon liked soccer before.

“Why? MUFC is a great team,” Luhan asked sadly.

“Ever since Cristiano Ronaldo left, she already stopped watching soccer. After all, Cristiano is her first love,” Suho started teasing Seyoon again.

She looked at Kai and Luhan, embarrassed. “Oppa, what are you saying?”

“Do you like Cristiano Ronaldo? I like him too,” Luhan said to him, smiling.

“Why? I still remembered when you were crying on the phone after finding out that Cristiano left. Everyone in the family knows how much you like him,” Suho teased.

“That was before. And he’s not my first…first love,” Seyoon said as she continued eating.

“Who?” asked Suho.

Kai and Luhan looked at her. She took a quick glance at Kai and then he looked at Luhan. “Chicharito!” (A/N: Another Manchester United player ^^)

Suho started laughing upon seeing his sister’s irritated face. “Chicharito? What? I never knew you like him. Daebak!” said Suho. Luhan also joined the laughter. Seyoon scowled seeing their laughing faces. Kai just smiled silently.

---

“Thank you so much for letting me have a dinner with you,” said Luhan as he bowed.

“You can come back anytime and talk more about soccer with me,” Suho said to him.

“I will!” Luhan replied enthusiastically. “Oh, Seyoon thank you for teaching me,” he said to Seyoon with a wink.

“You’re welcome,” she said, trying to force a smile.

“Bye! See you tomorrow in class Kai,” Luhan said. Kai just forced a smile to him and rolled his eyes.

“It’s a long night. Well, I guess you should go to sleep now Mrs. Chicharito,” Suho said while he patted his sister’s head.

Seyoon frowned at him. “Stop teasing me,” she said. “Alright, see you tomorrow. Good night,” she said giving her brother an embrace. “Good night Kai,” she said to Kai before closing her door.

“Well, I guess I also have to go. Good night hyung,” Kai said before he started walking to his room.

“Wait!” Suho stopped him. Kai looked at him with a questioning face. “Mind if you join me in a little chat?”

“Huh?” Kai nodded to him. Suho lead him to sit on the dining table.

“I waited for Seyoon to go to her room because I know she’ll get mad if she sees this,” Suho said as he pulled a six-pack of beer from a well-hidden place in the refrigerator.

Kai’s mouth gaped upon seeing the beer. The first and last time that he had drunk beer was two years ago during their summer vacation with his friends. Sehun was able to get some beer from the grocery store they owned. He remembered drinking a lot that time but he couldn’t remember anything that happened after. After that, Chanyeol told him not to drink anymore beer or else he would stop talking to him. He didn’t know why Chanyeol was so strict to him when it came to alcoholic drinks. And even if he asked Chanyeol why, he wouldn’t say anything. But he guessed there’s nothing wrong to drink now. After all, he was already at the legal age to drink unlike before. And Suho was with him. Maybe nothing bad could happen.

“Do you drink?” Suho asked him. Kai nodded. “Good. This is going to be a long man-to-man talk then,” he said to Kai, smiling. Somehow, Kai felt that there would be something in their conversation. He took a deep breath before he opened the first can.

---

It was almost two hours since they started talking and Suho could already feel his drooping eyes. Kai, on the other hand, still continued drinking the remaining in his can but he could also feel the intoxication rapidly conquering his consciousness.

“Kai…” he heard Suho calling his name. It was the first time that he heard Suho calling him by his nickname. He tried to straighten his body and opened his eyes fully to look at Suho. He saw how Suho’s face turned into an emotionless, serious face. “Do you…do you like my sister?” he asked out of the blue.

Kai didn’t know if he heard the question right or it was only the product of his blurred mind and affected hearing ability from drinking too much. He took a huge gulp of the remaining beer in his can before he tried to answer. When he put the can down, “I…” the next thing that was heard was a huge thud and Kai’s and Suho’s heads were already resting on the table.

 

Seyoon, who was trying to go back to sleep, couldn’t close her eyes. After an hour of sleeping peacefully, she was disturbed by huge roar of laughter coming from outside of her room.

“What is that? I thought they’re already sleeping,” she said, rubbing his eyes. She waited for a while when she noticed that the noise subsided and everything became quiet again. She creaked open her door just enough for her to peek on what already happened. She was surprised when she saw Kai and her brother with their head buried on the table and the four cans of empty beer, some of which already rolled on the floor.

“Beer? Aish! Oppa!” Seyoon gritted her teeth in anger. “Why did he bring beer here? And why did he let Kai drink beer? Aigoo!”

“Oppa…” she prodded her brother’s head but she got no response. She did the same with Kai but he also didn’t give any response. “What am I going to do with you?”

She put her brother’s arm on her shoulder and tried lifting him up. This was a bad timing, she thought, because her brother just drank beer. He felt so heavy on Seyoon’s shoulder yet she had no choice but to drag him to the couch. She drop her brother to the couch after what it seemed like miles of walking with a heavy weight on her shoulder even though it was just a few feet away from the dining table.

Then, she looked back at Kai who stayed still on the table. ‘This would be harder,’ she thought. She did the same to Kai, putting his arm on her shoulder and tried to hoist him up from the table. He tried to carry Kai with his feet being dragged on the floor because of their height differences. When she made it to his room, he dropped Kai on his bed but only half of his body made it. She carried his legs and also placed it on the bed. She tried to catch her breath from using too much strength. Then she covered him with the blanket. Before she even left the room, she heard Kai mumbled.

“I like her,” he mumbled repeatedly.

Seyoon sighed and faced Kai. “My brother must have asked you a lot of question. I’m sorry. I know it’s hard for you to tell him about Krystal. I’m really sorry. Don’t worry, I’ll talk to him tomorrow,” she said, brushing Kai’s hair away from his face. Seyoon thought that Kai was referring to Krystal when she heard him say he liked her.

“Good night,” she said before she closed the door.

“I like her. I like Seyoon. I love…” and Kai fell into a deep slumber.

 

 

 

 

 


Cristiano Ronaldo was a former player of Manchester United before he transferred to Real Madrid. While 'Chicharito' is Javier Hernandez's nickname. He is a current player of Manchester United.