< Part One >

The Race Against Time...

Sunggyu’s hands trembled involuntarily as his small eyes widened in fear. He tried desperately to calm his pounding heart but to no avail as the next paragraph turned his blood cold.


You’re given a task… A task to rescue each individual member within the time allocated…
Should you fail, say goodbye to your buddy…


Beads of cold sweat dripped down Sunggyu’s forehead. He wanted to just call the police and get his friends back but the next sentence stopped his action, as if the mastermind had already predicted his next move accurately.
 

Try calling the police and we won’t hesitate to finish off your buddies…


Sunggyu could barely stand. He leaned weakly against the wall and slipped onto the cold, hard floor. Tears started to form in his eyes when he realised the seriousness and the hopeless despair of the absurd situation. He sniffled and wiped his misty eyes on the sleeves before taking a deep breath and continued reading the note.


Kim Sunggyu, you’re only given one hour to rescue your first buddy - Dongwoo…
The first venue – The abandoned haunted school near your dorm…
Look out for the first clue on the bulletin board outside the General Office…
Time will officially start once you open the front door of your dorm…
Don’t ask how we know that…
We’re around you and will keep a watchful eye on your every action…
Good luck in your mission…

 

Sunggyu, being the responsible and mature leader of Infinite, quickly dashed into his room to change into appropriate and warmer clothing. Then, he walked into the store room to take torchlight and some sharp, heavy weapons for self-defence.

In less than five minutes, Sunggyu was ready. He grabbed the knob tightly, so tight that his knuckles turned white, for he knew that the door would lead him to the unpredictable horrifying fate.

But that didn’t stop him from stepping out of the once warm and comfortable dorm. From the moment he heard a sharp ‘beep’ sound, he knew that the race against time had started.

Despite being exhausted, Sunggyu managed to reach the school compound in less than fifteen minutes. He gave a weak smile at his record for running three kilometres in such short time. Panting heavily, he took out the torchlight and searched for the General Office.

Sunggyu managed to locate the bulletin board quickly, as if the angels up high in the heaven pitied him and assisted. Should he didn’t trip over a small pebble; he wouldn’t have caught a glimpse of the old and tattered bulletin board lying on the ground.

On it, it was a similar black note written in red ink.


Since this is your first mission, we decide to be lenient on you…
Just get to the west wing of the school and get to the boys’ toilet on the 7th floor…


“Lenient…?” Sunggyu scoffed disbelievingly. “How on earth do I get there when the school highest storey is only at four…?” His angry voice echoed in the dark hallway. Nonetheless, he ran towards the west wing when his watch showed that he only had thirty-eight minutes left.

Sunggyu climbed up the stairs, two steps at a go. He dashed up at such high speed that he didn’t realise he had already climbed beyond the four storeys. By the time, he took the time to take a breath; he was shocked to see that he was already at level seventh.

Before Sunggyu could ponder further, a loud thud reached his ears. He quickly abandoned his thoughts on absurdity and sprinted towards the source.

Sunggyu skidded to a stop when he nearly crashed himself onto a glass wall. The bright classroom looked normal if not for the four pieces of walls being replaced by thick glasses.

In the middle of the classroom, Dongwoo laid on the ground with his hands and legs bounded to the chair. His widened eyes clearly reflected shock and fear. He tried pleading Sunggyu for help but the gag in his mouth muffled the request.

Sunggyu knew time was limited and he had to act fast. He looked frantically for a door or an opening to get to Dongwoo but was depressed to find none. Dongwoo seemed to be trapped in a cube, an exit-less room.

Just then, a muffled pained groan caught Sunggyu’s attention. He knocked onto the glass wall anxiously and shouted. “What happened, Dongwoo…?”

Dongwoo was unable to answer but Sunggyu could clearly see red bites marks appearing from nowhere on Dongwoo’s exposed face, arms and legs. It looked as if he was bitten by numerous invisible creatures. Blood began oozing out from those wounds but the red fluid almost disappeared suddenly as if those invisible attackers slurped and the blood.

Seeing his band mate in hurt almost drove Sunggyu to insanity. He pulled out the hammer from his pocket and hit the glass wall with his maximum strength. At first, the glass wall did not even give a budge but as Sunggyu continued pounding with his almighty strength and speed, the glass wall crackled a bit.

Delighted at the small progress, Sunggyu continued pounding on the glass wall relentlessly. Finally, the strong glass wall shattered under the sheer determination of Infinite’s leader.

Sunggyu quickly got into the room and rushed to Dongwoo’s side. By then, the attack had stopped but Sunggyu was afraid that they might resume. He hurriedly untied Dongwoo and dragged the slowly losing conscious guy up to his feet.

Sunggyu slung Dongwoo’s arm over his shoulder and supported the injured guy out of that mysterious room. The pair climbed down the stairs at an amazing speed, as if frightened that the building might collapse anytime.

And their prediction was correct. They barely made it to the school gate when the building collapsed.

“That… That was close, isn’t it, hyung…?” Dongwoo managed to chuckle softly despite sustaining several injuries.

Sunggyu merely rolled his eyes at the weak attempt of joke. “I’m getting you to the hospital now…” Just then a black envelope stuck at the school gate caught his eyes.

Sunggyu took it and opened to reveal another similar letter.


Congrats, Kim Sunggyu…!
I would like to compliment on your first success… You’ve managed to rescue Dongwoo in forty-seven minutes…! I’m impressed…!
The next task shall be given to you shortly…
We wouldn’t want you to collapse due to exhaustion…


Sunggyu couldn’t help but emitted a relieved sigh. He dragged the unconscious Dongwoo to the main road and managed to flag down a cab.

Upon reaching the hospital, Sunggyu alerted the paramedics by shouting for help. The nurses and doctors hurried taking Dongwoo to the emergency room as the injured guy’s breathing was getting shallower each second.

Sunggyu paced worriedly outside the room despite being exhausted. Just then a young nurse ran frantically towards him.

“Kim Sunggyu…? Are you blood A+? Patient has lost too much blood and we are short of this type in our blood bank…”

Before the nurse could continue her request, Sunggyu answered quickly. “Yes, I am and I’m fit enough to donate blood…”

After withdrawing sufficient amount of blood, Sunggyu was taken to a bed to rest. He was about to close his eyes for a rest when he noted the familiar black envelope on the table…

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The first chappie is up... ^_^
Oops... Guess readers should abandon all sorts of logics & science in this story coz it seriously doesn't make any sense... ^_~
Do leave down your comments so that I can improve...! Thanks for reading... ^_^