Chapter Eight

Waiting in the Snow

He is driving to the hospital. It is dangerous on the roads, so he slows down a bit. He wants to rush to the hospital, because he is late again. Suddenly his phone rings. He wants to answer it, hoping it’s a call your nurse, telling him you’ve woken up. He knows he shouldn’t talk on the phone and drive, but he can’t help himself. He answers the phone, “Hi handsome!” He nearly drops the phone and steers the car off the road at hearing your voice. Steadying himself and the car, he calls out to you. “Sweety!!! You’re awake! OMG, I’m so glad! I was so worried. I’m on my way to you now, don’t go back to sleep!! You have to wait for me, ok?” He speeds up a bit to be there faster.
“I’m alright now. I’ve woken up yesterday. You told me to wake up in my dream, so I did, I woke up, for you.” When he hears you say this, he is confused. “What do you mean yesterday? Why wasn’t I told? I don’t get it!” He is so confused he forgets to watch the road. Thinking this is way to dangerous, he pulls over and contemplates walking towards the hospital. He hears you talking to him some more through the phone. Just as he is about to answer you, white lights shine in his eyes. Right after that everything goes black.
When he opens his eyes he is still in his car. Everything hurts and he is very cold. He looks around him and sees a figure laying in the snow right next to his car. He realizes it is his girlfriend and she is going to die if he doesn't do something. He has no clue why he is doing it, but he lifts his arm and reaches for her before he tells her the usual words he tells her when he visits her in the hospital. Then he can’t see, or feel anything anymore, as the world around him fades to black.


He feels himself slowly waking up. His head hurts immensely and there is a hand squeezing his. He wants to squeeze back but he doesn’t have the strength to move. He keeps his eyes closed because he is scared that when he opens them, he will be in his car again, waiting for help while he is forced to just watch his girlfriend slip into a coma in the cold snow. He feels his heart clench at the thought that she was just laying there unable to move and that he wasn’t able to help her. He had called out to her, asking her to wake up, like he usually did in the hospital. The entire scene didn’t make sense now that he thought about it. ‘How could she be out in the snow? She was in the hospital. Did I dream it? Was I hallucinating? Or am I dead and being punished for not being there for her?’ Thinking about all this makes his head hurt even more. Just as he feels himself drifting back to sleep, the bed dips in on his side. He feels how two warm arms hug him. He wants to open his eyes and see who is there, but he can’t. Right before sleep overtakes him he hears a whisper: “I love you, don’t leave me, please wake up.”