Chapter Three

Waiting in the Snow

*Beep Beep Beep* “Why is her heart rate this fast, Doctor?” The nurse asks him with a worried look on her face. “Well, it seems like she is dreaming. Having a nightmare to be precise,” the doctor explains. “But why is she dreaming now? Most coma patients don’t dream at all, while some dream from the moment they are in the coma. Isn’t this a bit unusual?” the nurse asks. “It’s because her boyfriend didn’t come to visit her today,” a younger nurse says dreamily. “I wonder why he didn’t come to see her today? As far as I know, he hasn’t missed a day.” She walks towards the bed and looks at the patient who is breathing heavily and thrashing around. “I wonder what she is dreaming about.”
“We can speculate as to why she dreams only now, but speculation will not give us answers. Keep monitoring her,” the doctor instructs both nurses while he turns around and leaves. The nurses keep checking on the patient, who’s dream seems to have turned into a very bad nightmare. The patient was tossing and turning on the bed, while mumbling a name.
“Do you think her boyfriend left her?” the younger nurse asks. “Could be. A young man like him wouldn’t want to sit here and wait for a girl to wake up, while there are so many other girls out there to date. Especially a good looking man like him. He probably found another girl.” The older nurse takes the patients hand and hopes to give her some support in that way. The younger nurse places the blanket back over the patient and wipes the sweat off her face. “I don’t think he would leave her though. Why come and visit every day at the same time for a month and then suddenly not show up any more? Yesterday he was crying while blaming himself for her condition... maybe something happened to him,” the younger nurse starts to pace around while thinking of possible theories. “Maybe he got in an accident on the way here, or maybe he got sick. It could also be that his parents or boss forbade him to spend so much time here. Or he needed a break. He wouldn’t have hurt himself, because he blames himself for what happened, would he?”
“Stop speculating! The doctor is right. Speculating will not give us answers. Let’s just focus on our patient here. The nightmare seems to be over,” the older nurse says while slightly squeezing the patients hand.