Chapter Two

Waiting in the Snow

Running late again he rushes to his car. He is supposed to be at the hospital at 20:00 to visit you, as he does every day. Since the day you slipped into a coma, he had come by to see you, hug you and beg you to wake up. There was nothing else he could do and it made him feel hopeless. It was his fault you went wandering off on your own in the snow. He felt responsible for what had happened to you and he vowed never to be late again. That is why he visits you every day around the same time, while doing the same things. He hopes that you will eventually subconsciously recognize the pattern and forgive him for being late. He feels that when you forgive him, you will also wake up. His friends tell him that it makes no sense, but to him it’s all he can do to keep sane while waiting for you to wake up and come back to him.
On his way to the hospital he drives a bit too fast. He can’t be late, so he is not as careful as he usually is when driving. It is still winter and the roads are coated in a layer of ice. It is already dark outside and the heavy snow that is falling from the sky makes the roads even more dangerous. He decides to slow down a bit and make sure he gets to the hospital in one piece. That is still more important than being on time.
As he nears an intersection his phone goes off. Immediately he reaches for it, hoping it is a call from the hospital to inform him of your awakening. But he knows better than to talk on his phone while driving, so he lets it ring. He'll reach the hospital within 10 minutes anyway.
The snow gets heavier and when turning the corner at the next intersection, he feels his car starting to slip. It feels like the car is breaking away underneath him and he blindly steers in the opposite direction while hitting the breaks. As the car comes to a standstill he lets out the breath that he had been holding. Safe! He thinks and he slowly continues his way. This time he drives really slow and carefully. Better to be late than to not arrive at all.
After trying to drive in the snow like that for 2 minutes, he thinks about leaving his car there and walking the last part. It is really too dangerous to be driving in these conditions. Just when he is about to park his car on the side of the road, white lights shine in his eyes. The last thing he sees is a truck heading full speed in his direction. His last thought is that he won’t make it in time to the hospital as the truck collides with his car. Then all is black.