Chapter Six

Waiting in the Snow

After an hour of panicking and crying you finally calmed down, with the help of some medication. Your family has arrived and are sitting around your bed, crying and fussing and scolding you. You are happy that they are here, but can’t shake the uneasy feeling of not having your boyfriend here as well. For the last hour your family and the young nurse have been trying to contact him, without luck.
The young nurse agreed to investigate a bit for you and was now checking to see if there has been a car accident and if a young man had been brought to the hospital. You got the feeling she only agreed to do this to calm you down, ut it had worked. You were feeling a bit better knowing someone was searching for him.
Your family noticed how worried you were and they were trying to cheer you up with anecdotes and jokes, but you were not in the mood for that. Just when you were about to ask them to leave, so you could rest, the young nurse comes running back in to your room.
“Miss, you were right! There was a car accident. Your boyfriend was brought in about half an hour ago. He is still alive, but barely.” she exclaims while looking at you with a combination of pity and awe in her eyes. “How did you know?” she asks you.
“I told you, he was in my dreams!” you answer her while getting up. You need to go see him, now. You try to stand up, but the young nurse pushes you down on the bed. “I’m sorry Miss, but you are not allowed to walk around yet. Besides, they are operating on him now, you can’t go see him anyway.”
“THAT DOESN’T MEAN I CAN’T BE NEAR HIM!” you blow up at her. You try to get up again, but because of being in a coma for a month, you have no strength left in your body. The nurse can easily push you down on the bed again and hold you there. “Calm down Miss! It’s not good to get your heart rate up like this. I’ll continue to check on him and report it back to you. That’s all I can do.” She places the blanket over you again and checks the heart monitor before leaving again.
You send your family away, telling them you need to be alone right now. At first they protest, because they just got you back and they don’t want to leave you again. But you convince them by crying some more. You can’t stop the tears from falling. If what you had seen in your dreams was true, then there was little hope for your boyfriend. He had lost so much blood and he had a wound to the head. There was no way he was going to make a complete recover, that is if he survived at all.
You lay in your bed, waiting. This was the worst feeling ever. Not knowing what was going on, not being able to be there, not being able to do anything. You kept staring at the clock on the wall opposite of your bed. Not 10 minutes had past since the nurse left, but it felt like hours.
Suddenly the door of your room opens and the young nurse came back in. “Severe trauma to the head, a couple broken ribs, a broken wrist and a lot of bruises and scratches, but that’s it.” The nurse tells you in a rush. “He is amazingly still alive and doing quite well concerning the circumstances.” She smiled at you and you let the breath you were unconsciously holding out in a deep sigh. You are overjoyed to hear he is alive and not too badly injured, but wonder how that could be possible. “What happened? And what does ‘severe trauma to the head’ mean?” you ask the nurse.
“His car was hit by a truck. The driver had lost control and the truck started to slip in the snow. From what I’ve heard, your boyfriends car was going really slow. The truck hit his car head on, but because his car had almost stopped, the impact was less big. That, and because the truck mainly hit the passengers seat, is the reason why he is still alive. He is a lucky man.” The nurse concludes. “A severe trauma to the head means that he hit his head or something hit him. He has lost a lot of blood from the wound on his head and they will have to do a couple of scans to see if there was brain damage. I’ll go back there again later and let you know if there is news. Please try and get some rest Miss. you are still recovering.” With that the nurse left again.
You stare at the ceiling and think about sneaking out, but your eyes get heavy. You figured they must have given you sleeping medication before and you curse them while you drift off to sleep.