Chapter Five

Waiting in the Snow

You scream: “NOOOOOOO!!!” You open your eyes and sit up. “Don’t die!!!” you cry out. Someone hugs you and tries to calm you down. “It’s ok, Miss, you were having a nightmare. You are awake now. Calm down.” a woman’s voice says to you. You take a few deap breaths and look around you. There is no more snow, no wrecked car, no blood and, most importantly, no boyfriend. You realize that you are in the hospital and the woman next to you must be a nurse. “Where am I? What happenend?” you ask her. “You fell and hit your head, Miss. you were in the snow for hours before someone found you. That was about a month ago. You have been sleeping all this time.” The nurse looks at you with a soft smile. “My colleague is informing your parents that you are awake now. They have been here every day during daytime visiting hours, while your boyfriend was here every day during evening visiting hours. They will be overjoyed to hear that you’ve woken up. Rest here while I got get the doctor to do a check up please.” With that she leaves the room and you are by yourself. You are feeling groggy and your throat is really dry. You start to move your hands and feet to check if everything functions correctly while you try to remember what happened for real and what has be in your dreams. You are extremely worried for your boyfriend. ‘He wouldn’t have been in an accident for real now, would he? It was just a nightmare. And the nurse said he has been here every day.’ You want to call him, to make sure he is alright, but you can see no phone near you.
The nurse comes back, this time with a doctor. “Good evening Miss. I’m Doctor Park. I’m glad to see you’ve woken up. How do you feel?” he asks you. “I’m fine, thank you.” you answer him. He does a check-up and concludes you are fine. You still have to stay the night in case something goes wrong during the night, but if nothing happens, you are allowed to leave in the morning.
The doctor and nurse leave at the same time when a younger nurse walks into your room. “Hello Miss, glad to see you awake. I called your family and they are no their way here right now.” You nod and take a deep breath. Somehow you don’t want your family here because they will start to fuss over you and panic and cry. On the other side you do really want to see them, because they are your family and you love them.
“I also tried to contact your boyfriend, but he is not answering his phone.” the nurse informs you. This shocks you. Could he really have been in an accident? “It is strange that he won’t answer,” the young nurse continues. “He has been here by your side every day... well except for this evening that is. I wonder why he didn’t come?” The nurse looks at you and sees tears streaming down your face. “Miss? Are you alright? I’m sure he is just busy. He’ll come by tomorrow, don’t worry.” She tells you as she pats your back.
“HE WON’T COME BACK!!!” you yell at her. “He has had an accident! His car crashed. HE’S DEAD!!!” You break down into a sobbing mess and you start to shake uncontrollably. “Miss, what are you saying? Of course he’ll come back, please calm down!” the nurse tries to get you to lay down again, but you clutch to the blanket and look at her with wide teary eyes. “I saw him! He was in my dreams. He was sitting in the car and... and.. OMG there was so much blood!” You almost choke at the memory. The nurse lets you go and runs out to call the doctor back because your heart rate has gone up again. When she comes back she finds you hugging yourself while you rock back and forth on your bed. “He told me to wake up, so I did...” you tell her, before breaking down again.