Chapter Seven

Waiting in the Snow

The next morning you wake up and need some time to figure out what time, day and year it is. The light in the room is really bright and the hospital is quiet. It’s early morning and you are feeling peaceful and well rested. You can hardly remember what happened before, but yesterdays events slowly come back to you, and so do your stress, panic and tears. You get up really slowly to not make any noise.
A couple minutes later you are sneaking through the hallways of the hospital to go in searching of your boyfriend. If you ask a nurse, they would send you back to your room, but you are not accepting that this time. You are feeling stronger although your stomach is completely empty and you are feeling lightheaded.
It takes you a long time to find the right hospital wing and room, but you finally found it. You think it’s a miracle that nobody you ran into on your way here made you go back to your room. Nobody recognizes you in this part of the hospital. You make your way into the room and are glad to see no visitors or nurses are here. You walk towards the bed and see him laying there, hooked up to machines and tubes. It is a horrible sight, but the beeping of the machines is telling you he is alive, so you are relieved.
He is sleeping, so you just sit in the chair next to his bed and take his hand. He doesn’t respond to your being here, so you softly start talking to him. “Hi handsome!” you start with your usual greeting for him. But after that you are stuck. ‘What to say? Should I be cheerful and let him know I’m alright, or should I ask him to wake up, or scold him for being late for our date?’ You look at his face and realize you are not angry about him being late. He is always late, you got used to it. Deciding it would be best to try and let him know you are ok, you start talking again: “I’m alright now. I’ve woken up yesterday. You told me to wake up in my dream, so I did, I woke up, for you.” The tears are streaming down your face as you remember your dream again. You squeeze his hand and look closely at his face. There is no movement, he stays silent and asleep.  
After sitting there talking to him for awhile, you start to feel lightheaded again. You haven’t eaten anything decent for a long time now and your stomach is rumbling. You think that maybe it is best to go look for some food, but you don’t want to leave your boyfriends side. As you look at him again, you get an idea. You want to hug him and tell him everything will be alright. You get up for your chair and you immediately get very dizzy. You sit on his bed and give him a hug. “I love you, don’t leave me, please wake up.” You kiss his cheek before the dizziness and lack of food make you pass out.