Chapter 5

Pieces of me

 

This chapter was inspired by  [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwNiXznmc1s], [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNEgQNeEJDs], and a healthy dose of my imagination lol. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taeyeon tucked her phone into her bag after shooting off a message to her mother to remind her to watch this week’s Sonyeon Sonyeo Gayo Baekso for Tiffany’s cute little shout-out to her entire family. She just made her guest appearance in SSGB that Tiffany hosted with Hyesung but had left the studio to wait in the van for Tiffany as the latter had insisted on her ritual of thanking the production crew personally before leaving.

“Mom, Hayeon-ah, Dad, Jiwoong Oppa.”

Taeyeon’s heart soar as she recalled the ease to which the names of her family members rolled off Tiffany’s tongue. Tiffany didn’t have any of hers in Korea but no matter – Taeyeon was more than willing to share hers. She had pulled out no stops in integrating Tiffany into her family, operating under the simple but entirely believable reason that she didn’t want her fellow member to feel lonely in Seoul.

In truth, that was only the tip of the iceberg. Taeyeon didn’t like admitting it to herself but in the depths of her heart, she was still holding on the infinitesimal hope one day, if her feelings were reciprocated, she knew that she would at least have half the battle won in the uphill struggle for her family’s approval.

And if she had both Tiffany and her family by her side, then there was absolutely nothing more than she needed. There would be nothing more that she feared.

She snorted.

It was all part of her wishful thinking. She had lost. She, Kim Taeyeon, had lost to that scruffy boy because of her own inaction. That slimly little piece of…

She collected her thoughts and smiled as the van door pulled open and Tiffany slumped herself beside her.

“Oh gosh I’m exhausted,” Tiffany groaned in English.

“Eh…?” queried Taeyeon.

“Never mind Tae.” Tiffany grinned, switching back to her mother tongue. She leant in to nestle her head in the crook of Taeyeon’s neck as Taeyeon’s right hand rose instinctively to cup around Tiffany’s left shoulder.

“I’m starving. Let’s stop somewhere for dinner? I’ve this awful craving for fries since forever! Let’s eat western food today. Will you go with me Tae?” Tiffany bubbled on enthusiastically.

“Uhm yeah sure… anything,” mumbled Taeyeon. Tiffany’s face was right next to hers and food was the last thing on her mind. Surely Tiffany didn’t expect her to be able to think straight when her head was intoxicated by the soft peachy fragrance Taeyeon knew came from the former’s shampoo.

“Oh my God is that Wendy’s? Oppa stop here stop here!” Tiffany called out to the driver and the van skidded to a halt.

“Wendy’s! Right here in Korea! We have to eat this! C’mon Tae!” She hooked her arm with Taeyeon’s and clasping their hands together, dragged Taeyeon along with her as she slid the doors of the van open and bounced out of the vehicle.

Stepping into the fast food outlet Taeyeon immediately recoiled from the stench of the oil in the air. Directing her to sit on a table, Tiffany went ahead to order at the cashier while Taeyeon tried to figure out which burger in the menu looked like the lesser of two evils.

Sticks of potato dripping with oil and fake meat patties stuffed in between stiff bread… did she really have to do this now? A hot bowl of sundaeguk from a Korean restaurant just opposite the street sounded so much more appealing now that Tiffany was out of her sight and she could start to feel the beginnings of her hunger pangs.

Should she? Could she?

Taeyeon sighed. She knew she really shouldn’t be riling up Tiffany yet again when it had been barely a week since they made up after that last fight.

Her recollection of that movie night brought snippets of her conversations with Sunny unwittingly back into her mind.

Taeyeon, it’s like she really has you on a leash… You are at her every beck and call.

Those words sounded around her head like a ring of canaries, taking their turn to poke at Taeyeon’s pride. It was honestly disturbing her more than it should, proving the truth of her fellow danshin’s statement. It was a childish thought to have at this juncture knowng how deeply she was sunk into this mess - that she knew, but she always considered herself a proud woman who would never stoop that low to be considered leashed.

Sunny is right. She does have me wrapped around her finger. Damn it Kim Taeyeon, you have to stand up for yourself.  

“What the heck.” Taeyeon muttered to herself. “Why am I doing this to myself? I’m eating whatever I want.”

Standing up suddenly, she pushed her chair back and heard it screech loudly against the porcelain floor. Whipping her hoodie back over her head with an impatient flick of her wrist, she made off without so much as a glance.

I am having sundaeguk and absolutely no one can stop me.

She crossed the street quickly and sneaked into the unassuming eatery by the side of the road. She made her order and it came quickly enough, leaving Taeyeon marveling at her victorious feat.

Tucking into the delicious warm broth and relishing in the succulent slice of pork she knew that she had made the right choice tonight.

Come hell or high water, I will be my own person. Take that Sunny! And take that Tiffany!

Taeyeon smirked to herself she poked her chopsticks into the remnants of the pork at the mention of the names of the two accused, letting a surge of pride at her rebellious act course through her veins.

Pzzt pzzt.

Her phone vibrated against the table.

Reaching over to unlock the screen with her right hand she helped herself to another spoonful of soup before turning her attention to her phone.

[FROM: Yeppuni <3 - I’ll see you in the car… You’re dead…]

Taeyeon gluped.

----------------------------

[FROM: TaeTae <3 - Hul… Sorry. Coming over now.]