09. The Engagement

Inchoation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The rays of morning sunrise woke her up from her much comfortable sleep. She was about to stretch her body when an idle arm around her shoulder and a head over her head stopped her from doing so. She moved her head slowly to look up at the owner of the head and she was greeted with the handsome sleeping face of him. He was sleeping soundly while keeping his jacket secured around her body with his arm.

Her lips tugged upwards in a soft smile at him. ‘He will surely get sore muscles,’ she thought as she carefully moved her hand to caress his sleeping face. “Ji,” she called him with her voice barely louder than a whisper to wake him up, her thumb brushing against his soft cheek. “Wake up, Ji,” she called again. “It’s morning already. People will crowd this place soon,” she said worriedly. She moved her hand to his bright pink locks, combing it slightly with her hand.

He stirred from his sleep. The soft voice of the girl he loved still rang in his ears. He rubbed his eyes with his free hand, yawning in the process. “Morning, beautiful,” he greeted with his husky morning voice. “Did you sleep well?” He smiled with his still half-lidded eyes. “Never better,” she mumbled. “You should’ve woken me up, Ji,” she whined at him. “You looked so peaceful and carefree while sleeping. I didn’t dare to wake you up,” he grinned at her which sent a tinge of pinkish shade on her cheeks.

“Let’s go,” she said, hiding her flushed cheeks. She took his jacket off her body and held it out to him as she stood up. “What?” He asked. “Of course your jacket, Ji.” “I let you use my jacket for the entire night and you just return it like that?” “I didn’t ask you to lend me your jacket,” she muttered but her words were caught by his ears.

“Dara-yaaaaa,” he whined while pouting childishly, “I didn’t want you to get cold, okay?” “I know,” she smiled, “So what do you want me to do with your jacket?” “Wash it for me, hmm?” He said, still wearing his childish yet cute pout with his more-than-adorable puppy eyes, making her turn into chuckles. ‘So that I’ll have another reason to meet up with you again,’ he added in his mind.

“Okay,” she said between chuckles, “Now get up, Ji.” He smiled brightly at her and got up, reaching out his hand for her to hold. Smiling in return, she held out her hand to place it over his palm. He laced his fingers with hers and walked towards the car park. How he wished the time could freeze so he could have her hand in his.

 

***

 

“Bommie eonni,” she called as she entered her sister’s VVIP ward. “Oh Dara-ya, you’re here,” Bom smiled. She took a seat beside her sister’s bed. “How was the meeting with Seunghyun-ssi?” She asked, smiling softly. “It went well,” Bom answered. Her eyes were twinkling at the name. “He’s still the same sweet Tabi whom I knew back then,” Bom continued, “And he said that he would call me. He has called me anyway.” “That’s good then, eonni. I expect you to get official soon?” She said teasingly. “It depends.”

The soft smile curved on her lips hadn’t even left her face. At least, she was happy that her sister was happy. That was enough for her for her happiness didn’t really matter. Her thoughts wandered back to her engagement and unknowingly, a sigh escaped her lips and the soft smile on her lips slowly vanished. She didn’t know why but she still couldn’t ease the heaviness inside her heart.

“Dara-ya, what’s wrong?” Her sister’s voice broke her deep thoughts. “Is it about the engagement?” Bom asked again, worried. “Nothing, eonni. Nothing’s wrong,” she denied at first thought. Bom sighed and once again, eyed her younger sister. “Stop saying it’s nothing, Dara-ya. I’m your sister, you can share everything to me. And when I said everything, I meant it. You can share every little thing to me, Dara-ya. Don’t keep everything by yourself.” “I know, eonni. It’s just,” she paused, sighing, “I don’t know, eonni. I don’t know anymore.” “Dara-ya, look at me,” Bom looked at her eyes, looking for a glimpse of her inner feelings, and sighed again. “Honestly, what’s bugging you, Dara-ya? And don’t you dare to lie to me,” Bom reprimanded.

“Eonni,” she whispered tiredly. “Seriously, Dara-ya. You really need to get those burdens out of your chest.” “I feel heavy, eonni. I feel heavy about all if the engagement things. It feels heavy to carry on,” she breathed out. “But I can’t break it off, not now,” she then whispered. “What’s stopping you from breaking the engagement off, Dara-ya? Cause clearly, your feelings seem to not letting you to carry on with this.” “Responsibility,” she mumbled shortly. “RESPONSIBILITY?! YAH SANDARA PARK! Marriage isn’t a mere responsibility. Marriage, which is started with an engagement, is anything more than that!” Bom raised her voice, frustrated on the way her younger sister’s mind worked.  “I really don’t understand the way your mind works,” Bom voiced out, calming down a bit.

“I will break it off some other day,” she paused, “When I’m sure about everything,” she finally said. “I don’t want you to regret anything, Dara-ya,” Bom sighed. “I know, eonni. I know,” she said softly. They fell in a comforting silence, only their breathings and Bom’s deep sigh could be heard. Both were busy with their own thoughts.

She kept debating within her own self. She still hadn’t got any idea on why she was feeling that way. She didn’t understand anything at all. Everything was new to her. The butterflies on her stomach, the fast beating of her heart, and moreover the heaviness she was feeling inside her heart. She wasn’t supposed to feel that way. She had been used to be the expressionless heiress who was numb to every kind of feelings, who didn’t feel anything. She had always been the cold one, as cold as ice, and it had been easy. But that was only until she met him. His presence had created an inner turmoil on her well-organized life.

Love. That one word popped in her mind out of the blue. She asked herself what love really was yet it only led her into deeper thoughts. ‘Is it even possible for me to feel what love is?’ She questioned herself. She didn’t know what to do. It was the first time that she questioned herself about the decision she had made by following her father’s order and it was the first time she was thinking about herself, her own feelings.

“Eonni, you will be there tomorrow… right?” She asked hesitantly, breaking the silence first. “I will. I’ll ask doctor Seo if he would allow me. It’s getting suffocating here anyway,” Bom smiled. “Thank you, eonni,” she whispered.

 

***

 

The once simple and empty yet huge living room had been turned into a ballroom-like. Every each person in the Park manor was busy walking back and forth, getting the place ready for the event later that evening. Fresh flowers were placed in every corner. A medium-sized layered cake was put in the middle. Even the plain outdoor pool had been decorated, ready to accommodate the guests. The catering was ready. Glasses for the wine toast later had been organized. Hired waiter and waitresses were prepared, ready to serve the guests. Classic music keyboardist had been practicing on the grand piano placed on the side. And most importantly, the rings to be exchanged were ready.

Back in her room, she sat down in front of the mirror, letting the stylists do her hair and makeup. She was looking unaffected outside but inside, she couldn’t calm herself down. Not because of her nervousness from her engagement, but more of the heaviness which crept back into her heart all of sudden. She couldn’t even shake off the feelings. The heaviness was too much for her to handle and it was like choking her heart. She didn’t understand a thing. She didn’t understand anyth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter