Sorrow

Dream Protector or My Protector? (HIATUS)

DBSK - 작은 고백 (Your Love is All I Need).mp3

"PERFORMANCE?!" Everyone asked in unison as soon as Minwoo finished telling us the reason why he was late.

"When was the last time I performed on stage? 2 years ago? Or 1 year...." I murmured and started to tap my chin.

I was deep in thought. Perhaps a bit too deep that Jeongmin actually came to sit beside me and nudged me.

"Hello! Earth to Park Soojin!" Jeongmin's voice brought me back to reality. 

I ignored Jeongmin and turned to Minwoo.

"Minwoo ssi, what kind of performance does the principal want? Dancing or singing or maybe a drama?"

Minwoo was surprised at first that I asked him in a way that normal people would think that we've known each other since forever but changed his expression to a warming smile.

"Anything. Just a performance. Can you dance?" he asked and raised his eyebrow.

I hesitated for a moment.  I can dance but making me dance with 17 boys was too much.

"Don't worry, Youngmin hyung, Kwangmin and I will be the other dancers. Not all of our classmates are joining." 

Minwoo seemed to noticed my concerned face, he flashed a smile again and this time, I nodded. 

"Hold on! I want to perform with you guys too!" Jeongmin added suddenly when I thought everything was settled. Minwoo turned to Jeongmin with a blank expression and raised his eyebrow again. "You? Why?"

"I...uh..because it's the first time you guys are going to perform in this school. You have to count me in for this one! We're one team too!" Jeongmin excused for himself and showed how despererate he was. 

This time, Minwoo turned to me again, "Are you ok if Jeongmin hyung joins us?" he asked and looked into my eyes. Was it just me or what?! It wass almost like they all have big eyes, and shiny and blinking and every adjectives that can be used to describe a pair of huge and innocent eyes. I nodded eventually.

"Mmm. I will ask the principal if Donghyun hyung and Hyunseong could join as well. Like what Jeongmin hyung said, it's going to be our first performance, and Donghyun hyung and Hyunseong hyung never performed before in this school. Might as well make it our debut stage." Minwoo replied after he thought about what Jeongmin just said. 

A debut stage? So if I was performing with them, would that make me one of their members then?
 
"But...Soojin's with us..." Youngmin added and cast a glance at me. 
 
"Doesn't matter. As long as the six of us are together. Though I don't mind if she becomes one of us." Minwoo replied and smiled satisfyingly. 
 
"But we're BOYFRIEND. You heard me Minwoo, BOYFRIEND." Youngmin added and obviously emphasised the word 'Boyfriend'. 
 
"Hey ~ stop arguing. It's not like they will introduce us as Boyfriend eventhough they knew we call ourself Boyfriend. Consider that Soojin is quite a pleasant girl, and most of the boys wouldn't want her to be in trouble. Unless the person who's going to host the event is a girl..." Hyunseong oppa cut in suddenly and he actually whispered the last sentence. 
 
"I have to agree with that. Well, then I will have to tell the principal that he should let the host to be a guy. Everything's settled then." Minwoo replied and headed to the Principal office without any hesitation.
 
The thing was, it wasn't settled. What did Hyunseong oppa mean when he said most of the boys wouldn't want me to be in trouble? Why would I be in trouble if I was one of them? And they called themselves 'Boyfriend'? Nice name. And why would girls want me to be in trouble? Oh god. These boys were confusing me.
 
The bell rung once again and all of us got up from our seats. "Back to the class again. I do hope our teacher could teach us something today." I said and threw the can of my sport drink into the rubbish bin behind me.
 
"Yeah. Especially English." Youngmin added and nodded to himself.
 
"And Mathematics!" Jeongmin joined in too.
 
"Not Mathematics..." Kwangmin groaned as soon as Jeongmin mentioned the word 'Mathematics'.
 
"Be good you guys! It's your first day, I don't want troubles from my dongsaengs." Donghyun added and left with Hyunseong oppa with a wink.
 
I laughed at Donghyun oppa's humour after he left. And then I realized, that was the first time I laughed at school. I never laughed at school, not even in my previous school.
 
No one in my previous school bullied me but they despised me. Calling me names such as 'Nerd', 'Bookworm' and 'Teacher's pet'. I tried really hard to ignore them, but it was hard. 
 
There were times when I really wanted to shout at them and tell them to stop calling me those names but I didn't. I didn't want a red mark on my report card, I didn't want to dissapoint Dad. So I kept them to myself. Queitly sobbing in my room every night. 
 
Dad took care of me ever since my mom passed away when we got into a car crasht when I was only 2. Dad took 3 jobs a day just to raise me up. It was hard back then, but our neighbours helped us and life got better. 
 
Knowing that I was my father's only hope, I studied hard. I didn't have enough money to buy him a present during father's day and his birthday, but he always said 'As long as you're with me, there's nothing more I want." Upon hearing that every time, my heart ached and made me want to be a good daughter. 
 
I was thinking about all these things, until Jeongmin nudged me, again. 
 
"Hello ~ Earth to Park Soojin again!" he yelled again. 
 
"Oh! I'm sorry." I apologised and took a quick glance at my watch. Heck, we would be 5 minutes late if we didn't get a move on. "We're late!" I added and took Jeongmin's wrist and started to run.
 
"YA! Wait for us!" I heard Youngmin shouted and heard more footsteps behind us.
 
Even though we were late, but I wasn't all panic or nervous. I was happy. That was the first time I ever got late into class and the reason was actually because I was with  my friends. "Thank you." I whispered in my heart and my lips eventually formed a smile.
 
"I'm sorry we're late!" I quickly apologised and bowed as soon as we arrived at our class. But what I got in return was different. I thought the teacher would be scolding us or hurried us to our seats so he or she could start the lesson, but, instead, I heard sniggering everywhere. I looked up and saw that the teacher's desk was empty and my classmates were all sniggering. "Relax, teacher's not here yet." one of them added and finally stopped sniggering. 
 
I blushed upon realising what I did and actually laughed at myself mentally.
 
No teacher came in for the whole day and the afternoon class was canceled. We all sat in the class chattering about the performance. But I wasn't in the mood of discussing with them, I was already thinking about going back home. I got the feeling that there was a surprise waiting for me.
 
Kwangmin moved his desk and chair to sit beside me. I wasn't aware of it until Minwoo came in before Kwangmin could talk to me.
 
"Good news! The Principal approves all of our request! We could start practising today!" He ran in the class and announced the news. 
 
"But I'm not in the mood of practising today..." I mumbled and heaved a sigh. "You don't have to, you could start from tomorrow onwards. I'm sure Minwoo needs time to think of the dance moves and musics."
 
I turned to look at Kwangmin, his eyes, as I realised, they were full of sorrow, as if something's been bothering him or something happened but no one's been there for him. I've never seen a pair of eyes like that. I wanted to ask him what happened, but stopped and because I thought he might not be happy if I ask him about it in front of everyone. 
 
"Really? Thank you." I replied and smiled to him. He then walked toward Minwoo and whispered to him. After a minute or two, Minwoo showed me a thumb up and went out again.
 
Kwangmin then came back to sit beside me and smiled again. Though he was smiling, his eyes, were still the same. Sorrowful.
 
"I told him you don't feel like practising today. He said it's ok." he said and smiled.
 
How hard it is, to hide your sorrowness while smiling to everyone, I thought.
 
Finally, Ms.Kim came in just before the the bell for the last lesson rings. "I know I know, I was really busy. I'm free now, but since the afternoon calss is cancelled, you can go back home now. We shall call it a day. Thank you class." she said and left again. 
 
"Bye guys! See you tomorrow!" I bade everyone good bye and took my bag and went out of the classroom.
 
"I'm not practising as well! Got important meeting!" Jeongmin yelled to the others and went out as well.
 
When I finally walked out of the school's gate. Jeongmin caught up with me. "Hey ~heading back home?" he asked and slow down his pace. "Yeah." I answered and smiled happily.
 
Before Jeongmin could say anything, someone called me.
 
"PARK SOOJIN!" 
 
I turned around and saw my long time no see best friend; Park Kyung.
 
A/N: Chapter 3 is up! So far, what do you? Is it interesting enough?