A Day Spent with Idiots

Dream Protector or My Protector? (HIATUS)

Boyfriend(보이프렌드) - Love Style (러브스타일).mp3

Sungjae turned around and frowned at me. But that didn’t stop me from running to him and gave him a warm embrace. Despite of the anger, he hugged me back and buried his head in my hair.

“I miss your scent.” He said and let me go.

I let him go as well and let him ruffled my hair. “You didn’t reply my message, I thought something happened to you, but I guess I was wrong.” He added and smiled toward Dad, and the others.

Youngmin gave me a curious glance and approached to me. “No touching other boys other than us, Boyfriend. No hugging and no smiling cheerfully.” He pulled me aside and glared at Sungjae.

Sungjae snickered and rolled his eyes, “I see you’ve got yourself a boyfriend. Not bad, quite protective.”

Dad laughed at his comment and approached to us together with Jeongmin and Kwangmin. “Youngmin ah, you’ve misunderstood them, they are cousins. Sungjae ah ~ Long time no see.” Dad half explained and half laughed. To be honest, I wanted to laugh with Dad but Youngmin’s grip on my wrist was too tight that I couldn’t even manage a smile.

“Careful there lad, you’re hurting my cousin.” Sungjae must have noticed my expression and he gently pulled Youngmin’s hand away and they glared at each other for a moment.

I looked at them both, tension was rising. I broke the silence and patted them both on their backs. “Come on guys. Let’s get in to the house.”

As if Jeongmin was on cue again, he pulled Youngmin away and winked at me. Kwangmin followed him and we all went in.

I told Dad to serve Youngmin, Kwangmin and Jeongmin while I dragged Sungjae to my room.

“Ya pabo! Don’t misunderstand us, Youngmin is not my boyfriend. He’s just…protective. That’s all. And the boyfriend he mentioned is his crew. They named themselves ‘Boyfriend’.” I quickly explained as soon as I closed the door of my room.

Sungjae looked amused, and then he tapped his chin. “Did I say anything?” He asked with a raised eyebrow.

“I hate you.” I threw my bag toward my bed and collapsed to the sofa beside the window.

Sungjae laughed and sat beside me. “I know you; you don’t behave like how you did if that guy was really your boyfriend. What’s his name again? Yangmin?” he ruffled my hair and laughed again. “It’s Youngmin.”

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door and Dad shouted; “Sungjae ah, are you staying for dinner?”

Sungjae considered for a few minutes and decided that it had been a long time since the last time we had dinner together and he agreed. “Ok Uncle!”

“So, did you tell your mom we are the best cousins to each other in the world?” I got up and pulled my pins from hair and my hair rested on my shoulders gently. 

“No, I didn’t. I love it whenever she asks what happened to you since you never really called her. The fact that uncle Micky is your father only worries her more.” He laughed again and crossed his legs.

“My father? Why?” I moved to sat on the edge of my bed and look at him curiously.

“YOUR FATHER DOESN’T LOOK LIKE YOUR FATHER! HE LOOKS LIKE YOUR BOYFRIEND! And you know your own father, crazy minded and childish. In a funny way, I mean.” He answered with a smirk on his face. If he wasn’t my cousin, I swear I could’ve given him a slap.

Suddenly, he uncrossed his legs and look at me amusingly. “You know, you changed a lot.”

I avoided looking at him from that moment on. As an observant person, I didn’t need the others to tell me how much did I change nor did I even change or not. I knew very well everything about me changed the moment I’ve stepped into EunWang High School. The way teachers spoke to me as if I was their friend instead of a student, the way all my classmates treated me, everything about EunWang changed me.

“And I’m glad. You’re not the quiet Soojin anymore. Not just a nerd who only reads story books like Harry Potter, Hunger Games or the Mortal Instruments and loves Mathematics and English language like a mad woman, but a nerd who knows how to have fun herself too. And a pretty one, if I might add.” He added when I decided to stay quiet. I smiled at his remarks and relaxed my tensed shoulders.

“Let’s go, Uncle Micky might need our help in preparing dinner.” Sungjae added again and held out his hand. It was like I was back in my childhood again, the Sungjae that protected me from anything that harm me and held my hand so tightly that he must be afraid that he would lose me anytime as soon as he let me go. “He needs your help in preparing dinner, and my help in serving my classmates.” I took his hand and together we skipped down the stairs just like how we did when we were kids.

“Dad! Sungjae’s coming to help you!” I pushed Sungjae into the kitchen and closed the door immediately to avoid Dad from dragging me in to cooking with him and I saw Sungjae shook his head through the glass in the middle of the door.

I then went to living room and sat beside Jeongmin on sofa.

“You guys don’t look like cousins to me.” Youngmin made a comment and snorted. Kwangmin looked from Youngmin to me and couldn’t help but laughed a little. Youngmin caught him laughing and elbowed him hardly. “I’m protecting her you idiot!”

“Youngmin ah, Sungjae is really my cousin. The only cousin who would spend his time to listen to my oh-so-boring lifestyle of a nerd and still compliments me saying it’s better than doing stupid things like make out with some boys while partying with their oh-so-awesome friends. And he’s sort of protective, but only as a cousin.” I explained sternly.

“Fine.” I heard Youngmin muttered and he looked defeated.

“All right, everything’s settled. Let’s do some revisions then!” Jeongmin happily cheered and took out his books but was stopped by Youngmin immediately. “Can we not talk about these things? I don’t feel like doing revisions.” He looked at Jeongmin with his terrifyingly big eyes and to be very honest, I would surrender to him immediately if I was Jeongmin. Jeongmin turned to look at me and I just shrugged. Youngmin was a person that you should never say ‘No’ to, because if you did, you would end up losing him as a friend.

“You win.” Jeongmin put back his books into his bag and sighed in defeat. “Say, why don’t we go and help Micky with his cooking? I’ve never cooked before, it sounds fun!” Youngmin said suddenly and got up from his seat and advanced to the kitchen before any of us could stop him. “Trust me, Youngmin hyung is a disaster when it comes to cooking.” Kwangmin made a comment and swallowed hard.

I didn’t need a second reminder from Kwangmin to stop Youngmin before it was too late. The three of us rushed to kitchen only to disappoint ourselves. Youngmin was already wearing a red apron and he was slicing carrots and then he looked up at us, “Micky said it’s a good chance for me to learn from him! He even quoted the phrase from Ratatouille ‘Anyone can cook.’.”

“He left out the part where the chef said ‘but not anyone can be a good cook’.” Sungjae added while stirring a pot of creamy soup and acted like he didn’t say anything at all. Youngmin rolled his eyes and continued to slice his carrots. Dad appeared from behind the door of our backyard with a basket full of apples. “Youngmin and Sungjae both love to eat apple pie, so I thought maybe we could prepare some.” He said and kicked the door shut. Jeongmin ran to Dad to help him with the baskets of apples and they all worked up for dinner together. “Kwangmin ah, you should stay out of this.” Youngmin made a comment and nodded approvingly at his not-so-neatly-sliced carrots. I then dragged Kwangmin out of the kitchen but then, Dad stopped us. “You love to watch Sungjae cook for you, stay in the kitchen. Kwangmin ah,” Dad leaned in, “I don’t even have to ask but I trust that you cook better than Youngmin. Am I right?”

Kwangmin and I exchanged glances and he shrugged. “Stay here, just in case Youngmin messes up anything.” Dad whispered and went back to help Sungjae and Youngmin. Kwangmin and I snickered and watch as Jeongmin guided Youngmin with cautious, also, with the help of Dad. As for Sungjae, He was a good cook, and Dad was the one who trained him so I wasn’t expecting any error from him.

I stared at Sungjae for a long time. Ever since we were kids, Sungjae would always prepare foods for me together with Dad, and while they were preparing, I would sat quietly and watch them in amusement.

Sungjae caught me staring at him and he winked at me. “Eww. You .” I mouthed to him and rolled my eyes.

“Sungjae’s really good.” Kwangmin followed my stare and added. I nodded and rest my chin on top of my hands on the table. “He learnt from my Dad.” I tilted my head smiled at the thought of Sungjae asking help from Dad when we were kids.

“Yeah well, I’m sure I’ll be better than him.” Youngmin rolled his eyes and gave Sungjae a thumb down. Apparently, Youngmin was eavesdropping.

After making sure Youngmin wasn’t messing around, Jeongmin went to help my Dad with the apple pies. But with all those flours around, Youngmin made up a choice where I was sure if my mom was still here, she would have thrown Youngmin out of our house.

“Hey Soojin?” Youngmin called and I turned to look at him but greeted with his handful of flour. “Got you!”

Kwangmin face were stained with flour too since he was sitting beside me. We looked at each other and got up from seats. We nodded to each other and grabbed handfuls of flours and wiped it on Youngmin’s face hardly. “Hmm, I found a male version of snow white.” Sungjae commented when we were done putting ‘make ups’ on Youngmin. Then, the three of us nodded to each, a sign of agreeing to make Sungjae our next target.

“Oh no you don –” Sungjae was about to run but Kwangmin caught him and we flashed him innocent smiles and poured the whole packet of flour on Sungjae.

Jeongmin and Dad looked at us with their jaws dropped. “These children are really something.” Dad heaved an exasperated sigh and gave us all a towel. “Snow Whites in my house.”

After we finished in cleaning ourselves, Dad hushed Kwangmin, Youngmin and I out of the kitchen. Sungjae wasn’t included because he didn’t plan in playing with us and Dad gave him a chance.

---

After 30 minutes, everything was ready and Dad finally let us in to the kitchen again. “No fooling around in the kitchen anymore, did I make myself clear?”

The three of us nodded and stared at the dishes. It looked extra delicious today. Maybe because Jeongmin and Sungjae were helping Dad or maybe Dad just wanted to show his cooking abilities. Either way, I wasn’t going to let myself starve just because I felt guilty for what I did.

Thanks to Dad who thought that we should all eat in silence and peaceful way and he trained Sungjae and I to not talk while eating meals and we were all quiet and ate silently. Youngmin seemed to understand by looking at our expressions and he didn’t fool around either.

After dinner, Dad asked Sungjae and I to send Jeongmin, Youngmin and Kwangmin home. But there was something I wanted to ask Jeongmin so I volunteered to send Jeongmin home while Sungjae sent the twins home, in which Youngmin kept bugging me to change my mind, but I couldn’t. I really have to ask Jeongmin something.

I bade goodbye to Sungjae and the others and went to walk with Jeongmin.

 

A/N: Hey! Sorry for not updating frequently! >.< School's been keeping me busy! So here, a long update for you all! ^^