Chapter 42

Too Close to Love You

 

“Stay with me”

I released a sigh as I tried to extract myself from Kyuhyun’s grasp.  I shot him a look, but he stubbornly tightened his grip on my wrist.

“Kyuhyun, I have to go the servants’ quarters, staying here would only raise suspicions”

Kyuhyun glared and made no attempt to reason with me,

“Who cares, Donghae already knows”

“Exactly, all the more reason to be cautious.  We can’t risk anyone else finding out”

Kyuhyun scowled and let go of my wrist, looking every bit like a petulant child.  My face softened and I stepped closer to him.  He relaxed as I hugged him, burying my face into his chest.  My heart started to beat faster and I hoped he couldn’t feel it.

“I’m sorry” I murmured, feeling guilty for making things difficult for him.

I knew it was hard for him, and it was hard for me as well.  I wasn’t a showy person, but having to hide my feelings all the time was exhausting.  I closed my eyes, wishing that things weren’t the way they were.  Things would have been so much easier if Yesung wasn’t my master and I wasn't his lowly slave.

Kyuhyun petted the top of my head, and I got the feeling he was thinking the same resentful things as I was. 

“What if…” he started, causing me to pull away and look up at him, “What if that bastard found out?”

I instantly paled at the thought.  Kyuhyun must have gauged my reaction because he cupped my face, my cheeks as he continued to speak in a manner that was obviously supposed to be convincing,

“He’d be mad, but what could he really do about it?  The king would no doubt support me if I asked for it, and even if he didn’t, what could that little prick,Yesung, really do?”

I shook my head, not letting myself get fooled by his confidence.

“I don’t doubt that you could defend yourself, but that ‘little prick’ is the crown prince of one of the strongest kingdoms around.  He has the authority to withdraw from the alliance, and he might even join forces with Lord Siwon”

Kyuhyun waved off my argument with an unconcerned huff,

“He’s not that petty.  No ruler would be stupid enough to risk the wellbeing of his people and his kingdom by aligning themselves with such a mass murdering warlord.  No person is that selfish”

I shook my head,

“My master is not selfish, but he is possessive.  His wrath is not easily aroused, but once it is, there is little that would deter him”

Kyuhyun shook his head, not wiling to believe me.  I sighed and pointed out,

“He me because he was angry.  He hurt someone he claimed to love on a whim, that’s not exactly the sign of a level headed person”

I felt Kyuhyun tense at the mention of my , but I spoke before he had the chance to interrupt me.

“Just please… I know it’s frustrating, but can we please stay like this, just for now?”

I nestled my head in the crook of his neck, pressing a feather light kiss against his skin.  He gasped softly and roughly pulled my face up, pressing his lips against mine demandingly.  I complied easily, getting swept up in the heat of colliding tongues and shared breaths.

Again, the foreign feelings of desire manifested themselves in the pit of my stomach.  Longing curled itself around me, each tendril of pleasure flicking through my body .  I hastily pulled away, too scared to think about what might happen if we continued.

It appeared Kyuhyun was in a daze, and I used his momentary distraction to my advantage.  I slipped out of his arms, heading towards the door before he could stop me.

“Goodnight” I called before setting out towards the servants’ quarters, my heart thumping wildly in my chest.

~*~*~

When I went to wake Kyuhyun in the morning, I was surprised to see he was awake.  I moved around his room warily, feeling the pressure of his stare.  When I served him some tea, I purposely averted my eyes, but he would have none of that.  He gently lifted my chin until his eyes met mine.

“Today’s meeting starts at 10.  Be ready to leave by 9:45”

I nodded, not bothering to protest.  I knew he was probably annoyed by my escape last night, and I would have to endure another boring meeting to appease him.  He smiled and released me, sipping at his tea smugly,

“This tastes good today” he mused, “extra sweet”

I rolled my eyes, knowing that he was celebrating his victory over me.

I cleaned up while Kyuhyun dressed himself.  He never asked me to dress him, saying that he was perfectly capable of pulling up his pants himself.  I knew this was an attack on my master, but at this point I was happy he did it himself.  I already felt fluttery in his presence and I had a hunch that the sight of his bare skin would only worsen my reaction.

A knock on the door broke me out of my thoughts and I hurried to answer it, happy to have a distraction.  I greeted Donghae with a smile, knowing that he was here to ensure Kyuhyun’s attendance at the meeting.  I let the lieutenant in, brushing at my face self-consciously when I felt his gaze linger of my cheeks.

“Are you okay?” he asked with concern, “You seem really flushed”

This in turn only made more blood rush to my face and I spluttered incoherently.  Without warning Kyuhyun came up behind me, wrapping his arms around my torso and resting his chin on my shoulder.

“Well of course he’s flushed, it’s hard to stay cool when you’re in the presence of someone as attractive as me”

I wailed in humiliation and began smacking at Kyuhyun’s hands.  Donghae on the other hand looked completely shocked before bursting out into laughter.  The jarring sound was enough to gain our attention and we looked over at the chortling man with curiosity.

“S-sorry” he stuttered, as he tried to regain his breath, “But I don’t think I ever seen the Commander without the metal rod that’s been jammed up his ”

There was a split second of silence before I started giggling, accompanied by Donghae’s more raucous laughter.  Kyuhyun simply looked at us with a mix of disbelief and irritation before stomping towards the door.

“I’m leaving” he announced, the pout obvious in his voice.

The childishness of the situation only spurred on our laughter, and we followed after a fuming Kyuhyun, chuckling the whole way. 

We managed to compose ourselves before entering the meeting room, but despite my best efforts, I couldn’t erase the small grin that painted my lips.  Like yesterday, we were received warmly by King Hangeng, and Donghae and I slipped away as Kyuhyun and the king talked.

Before long, Kyuhyun joined us and we waited for the meeting to begin.  The morning’s events left me feeling more relaxed, but I was still wary about Kyuhyun’s father.  Despite the man’s general hostility, it didn’t seem like the Head General had any concrete plans for revenge, but that only made me more nervous.

Kyuhyun’s father constantly discredited everything Kyuhyun said, and disagreed with his son’s every opinion, but beyond that he hadn’t made any moves against Kyuhyun.  Seeing as Kyuhyun was not in prime physical condition, it seemed like now would be the best time for the Head General to confront Kyuhyun.  The absence of such violence made me hope that maybe Kyuhyun would escape harm. 

I watched closely when the Head General made his entrance into the room.  Just like before, the room stilled at the tension between Kyuhyun and his father, but this time it was worse as the Head General immediately sought Kyuhyun’s eyes.

The two glared at each other in a silent battle of will before the Head General broke his gaze, looking straight at me instead.  Slowly the sinister man’s lips drew into a smirk, and I could hear Kyuhyun growl hatefully.  Kyuhyun’s father averted his eyes from me, but his actions till made me uneasy, and I unconsciously pushed myself away from him and closer to the wall.

I wasn’t the only one who seemed worried, as Kyuhyun’s glare seemed to intensify and Donghae shifted into a more protective position. 

The king cleared his throat, sending a stern look towards the Head General before beginning the meeting.  At first the other advisors seemed unwilling to talk, but once Donghae broke the awkward silence with a report of the army’s status, discussion seemed to flow rather easily.

As the meeting went on, the constant murmur of voices lulled me into a calmer state.  I tried to focus on Kyuhyun as he talked; his clear, confident voice soothing my frayed nerves.  I breathed a sigh of relief when the king asked if there was anything else that needed to be discussed.  I was eager to leave the stifling room, and hoped that no one brought up a new topic.

I felt my stomach go cold with fear as Kyuhyun’s father cleared his throat, obviously indicating that he had something to say.

“Your Majesty, I think we have failed to address a rather pressing matter regarding the outcome of the war”

King Hangeng studied the Head General carefully, as if he was debating whether or not he had a legitimate concern.

“It regards the future of the princess” Kyuhyun’s father elaborated, and the king’s eyes widened slightly at the mention of his kidnapped daughter.

“Speak Manho” he commanded.

The Head General gave a slimy smile before directing his words towards Kyuhyun,

“Commander Cho, you have no doubts regarding your ability to rescue the princess, correct?”

Kyuhyun bristled slightly and answered curtly,

“Her safe rescue and return are a main priority and I can assure you that I will act without fail”

The Head General chuckled, and goose bumps rose on my arms.  I had a feeling that Kyuhyun had played directly into his father’s hands.

“Excellent, Commander.  I’m sure the king had appreciates your confidence”

Kyuhyun eyed his father testily, waiting to see where he where his argument was leading.  The Head General directed his attention back to the king who seemed to be waiting with a tense impatience.

“Of course the Commander’s bravery should not be in vain, I believe that he should be rewarded in the most noble way possible”

“What are you suggesting?” King Hangeng snapped, irritated with the Head General’s vagueness.

“I’m merely suggesting that the Commander be made into royalty once the princess is safely returned to us”

King Hangeng’s eyes widened and he stared disbelievingly,

“You mean…”

“Yes” the Head General affirmed, his eyes dancing with a malicious light.

He removed his eyes from the king and instead stared at Kyuhyun, his lips curling into a satisfied smile.  I paled and let out a soft whimper when his dark eyes settled on me.  The Head General technically spoke to the entire room, but it was obvious he was targeting me when he said in a sickeningly sweet voice,

“I think it’s only fair to arrange a marriage between Commander Cho and our dear princess”


*cues dramatic music*

I promised you guys some drama, so here you goooooooo~

Again, I'm a horrible author for making you wait, but I promise I am trying.  Anyway, hope this update finds you all in good health ^^

Thanks for reading you guys, and comment, okay?  Comments encourage me to keep going (hint hint, nudge nudge)

 

Music: "Everbody"- SHINee (still deciding if I like this... personally just angry that they got to comeback before Suju *pouts forever*)