Chapter 34

Too Close to Love You

 

“Goddamn it!  You ing did that on purpose!”

I rolled my eyes and ignored Kyuhyun’s hateful accusations.

“Wow, who would have thought the Military God would be such a ?” I taunted, arching my brow in amusement.

He shot me an annoyed look, and growled,

“Shut up”

I snickered and went back to my ious task of cleaning out his wounds.  I snuck a glance at his face and saw he was clenching his jaw, obviously trying not to vocalize his pain.  I took pity on him and made my movements slower and gentler, concentrating on every of the wet cloth in my hand.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw Kyuhyun look more relaxed and I smiled slightly.

Once I was done, I carefully re-wrapped his shoulder and chest with fresh bandages.  I stepped back, admiring my work and asked,

“How does it feel?”

Kyuhyun grimaced and replied,

“It’s too loose on my chest and too tight on my shoulder”

I rolled my eyes and sat myself down on the chair beside his bed,

“Aw, for you” I mock-cooed at his complaints.

He glared,

“Why the hell did you even bother to ask if you didn’t care?” he hissed, sounding more amused than irritated.

I shrugged noncommittally and shot back sarcastically,

“Common courtesy I suppose.  You are the self-proclaimed Military God, and I am nothing but your lowly slave”

He smirked, ignoring my blatant disdain and puffing out his bandaged chest in a show of arrogance.  I snorted when he immediately winced when the movement aggravated his wound.

“Shut up!” he grumped glowering at me. 

I ignored him, chuckling at his own stupidity as I stood and walked towards the door.

“Where are you going?” he asked, not completely successful at hiding the slight panic in his voice.

I turned back towards him and sent him a reassuring smile,

“Don’t worry, I’m just gonna get you your breakfast”

He quickly looked away and spluttered,

“Psh!  Who said I was worried?”

I couldn’t fight my amusement and I exited the room with a small smile on my face.  I walked down the hall and ordered Kyuhyun’s meal, specially delivered from the castle’s main kitchen.  As I waited for one of the women behind the desk to hand me the food I spotted a familiar figure walking towards me.

It took me moment to recognize Donghae, but I realized who he was as soon as he sent me a warm smile.  He walked up to me, bowing when he was close enough to speak.  I returned his greeting and asked politely,

“What brings you here, Lieutenant Lee?”

“The king sent me to evaluate the Commander’s status” he answered.

I nodded and collected Kyuhyun’s food from the woman behind the counter.  I thanked her before gesturing Donghae to follow me.

“I’ll take you to him Lieutenant”

A small, happy smile made its way to his lips, but he didn’t say anything.  He walked beside me, a comfortable silence settling between us.  I didn’t bother asking about the war knowing I would learn about everything as I listened to the two men talk.

I knocked on Kyuhyun’s door before opening it, holding it for Donghae and following the other inside.  Kyuhyun snorted, his eyes never leaving the papers he held in his hands,

“Wow, what’s with this whole knocking thing?  You’ve never shown me that sort of respect before”

I rolled my eyes and cleared my throat loudly, causing Kyuhyun to look up with an annoyed expression.  His face cleared of any emotion and he sat up straight when he saw I wasn’t alone.  I swallowed my laugh as I carefully placed the food beside his bed before pointing out the obvious,

“Lieutenant Lee came to visit you”

Donghae grinned and bowed and Kyuhyun responded with a stiff nod.

“What brings you here Lieutenant?  Has Siwon’s army made any moves?”

Donghae shook his head,

“No it’s still quiet on the frontline.  Actually, the king sent me here to check on your health”

Kyuhyun nodded, the same emotionless look on his face,

“Well you can safely report that I am recovering and will be reporting for duty in a matter of weeks”

Donghae looked Kyuhyun over skeptically, his eyes lingering on the red tinged bandages wrapped around his shoulder and chest.  Donghae looked Kyuhyun in the eye and replied carefully,

“I don’t know Commander… you’re wounds seem rather critical”

Kyuhyun shrugged, puffing his chest out ever so slightly,

“I’m not saying I’ll be ready to fight, but I will be back at base camp at the very least”

Donghae looked ready to disagree, but I quickly stepped in before Kyuhyun said something to insult the kind Lieutenant.

“Actually Commander Cho has improved drastically.  At the rate he is recovering I think he may be able to return shortly”

Donghae turned to face me, looking into my eyes searchingly.  I gave him a small smile and I saw him relax slightly.

“If you don’t mind me asking, how can you be so sure, Ryeowook-sshi?”

“I’ve been assigned to be Commander Cho’s companion for the time being.  I’ve observed his progress, so I can say with confidence that he’ll be healthy in no time.  Tell the king not to worry, the doctor and I will not let the Commander return until we are absolutely positive that it is safe”

Donghae finally cracked a grin and nodded, before turning back to face Kyuhyun.  To the untrained eye, Kyuhyun seemed to be sporting his unresponsive mask, but I could see a faint hint of smugness in his eyes.

“Hmm, okay then.  I’ll report your rapid recovery to the king, he will be very relieved to hear that you’re doing better”

Kyuhyun nodded in approval and the two quickly fell into conversation regarding the state of the army and possible reason for the lack of enemy attacks.  I listened for a little bit before getting bored with all the strategic talk.

I found myself zoning out and staring at the wooden ceiling until Donghae’s voice brought me back to reality.

“Well I’ll be going then.  I hope you heal very well Commander” he said, bowing deeply.

He turned to me and asked,

“Would you mind walking me out, Ryeowook-sshi?”

I was a bit startled by his sudden request, but I quickly nodded and got to my feet.  As I followed Donghae out the door I caught Kyuhyun’s eye and I found him staring at me looking rather irritated.  I brushed it off, telling myself I would figure out what his problem was once I got back.

I walked with Donghae, heading towards the exit waiting for him to initiate the conversation.  He only did so once we were at the hospital doors.  He turned to me and said in a serious voice,

“Ryeowook-sshi, please take care of the Commander.  I know you may not think so, but he really does need you.  Even though he’s hurt now, he’s so much better than he was before.  He seems much more focused now.  I don’t wish to burden you with my expectations, but I really do think you’re the reason why he is getting better.  So please, care of him well”

He looked into my eyes and I could see how sincere he was.  I nodded slowly in response as the familiar pressure settled on my shoulders.  However, this time instead of running away, I knew I would have to endure.  It wasn’t just about me, there were people, a whole kingdom, depending on Kyuhyun and I couldn’t let myself be the reason for their ruin.

I nodded and bowed to Donghae, doing my best to show him I was taking his request seriously.  He smiled softly and patted my shoulder before turning to leave.

I thought about Donghae’s request as I slowly walked back to Kyuhyun’s room.  It still seemed a bit strange to me that everyone thought I had so much impact on Kyuhyun.  As far as I was concerned, Kyuhyun was a jerk regardless of whether I was with him or not.  The whole notion that he relied on me seemed a bit farfetched.

These thoughts were on my mind when I entered Kyuhyun’s room.  I arched my brow when I found him staring at me intensely, like he was studying me for any changes.  I rolled my eyes when I saw that his breakfast tray remained untouched.

“Ugh, you need to eat if you want to get better” I scolded, walking over and moving the tray from the table to his bed.

He stared at the food fleetingly before returning his gaze to me.

“What did the Lieutenant want” he demanded, his eyes narrowing.

I shrugged noncommittally and replied,

“Nothing much, just wanted to talk a little”

I thought Kyuhyun would drop the subject, but after that he only seemed more agitated.  I watched curiously as he ate his food, his lips set in a dissatisfied scowl.

“What’s up with you?” I finally asked after he started to stab his meat with unnecessary force.

“Nothing” he replied in an irritated tone.

He didn’t say anything after that so I let it go, figuring he would tell me if he wanted me to know.  I let him finish eating as I tidied the room and measured out his allotment of pain medication.  I glanced over at him again, and saw he was simply sitting, glaring off into space.

I set aside the broom and I walked to his bedside, placing my hand on his bare shoulder.  He flinched slightly at the contact and I quickly removed my hand.

“Sorry” I mumbled, “But are you okay?  Does it hurt?”

He looked confused for a moment and then shook his head.  He paused for a moment, but then nodded eagerly, his eyes lighting up slightly.

“Actually, I was wondering if you could re-do my bandages again”

“But I just wrapped them a little while ago” I protested.

He shot me a look and scoffed,

“Well you did a ty job and I’m asking you to fix it”

I rolled my eye and mumbled hateful things under my breath as I stomped across the room the get the materials I would need.  I gave him a dirty look as I returned to his bedside.  He smirked and I gritted my teeth in frustration.

“Well sit up” I huffed, my hands on my hips.

The same patronizing smirk never left his face as he leisurely sat up, taking his sweet time.  As soon as he was in position I reached to pull his bandages, wondering how hard I could pull before actually causing irreparable damage.

My scheming was interrupted when Kyuhyun grabbed my hands off the bandages and held them in his.  I blinked in confusion, and opened my mouth to ask him what the hell he was doing, but he pulled me close.

I blushed furiously and I panicked when our faces were barely an inch apart.  I shivered slightly whenever his breath ghosted over my face.  I tried to pull away, but he held firm, staring into my eyes intently.

“What did Lieutenant Lee talk to you about?” his voice low and slightly dangerous.

I continued to struggle as I hissed,

“That’s none of your business!”

His eyes darkened and he growled,

“The hell it isn’t!  You are mine, so anything regarding you is my damn business!”

I laughed bitterly and shot back,

“Oh, so now you’re treating me like property?  You claim to hate my master so much, but you’re really no better than him now are you?”

His grip on me tightened and he snarled,

“I didn’t ing mean it like that!  I just… !  Why do you have to make things so goddamn difficult!?”

“ME!?” I scoffed, too distracted by my indignation to keep struggling, “How the hell is my fault?”

“You… you’re just… dammnit!”

“What!?  Spit it out” I taunted, fueling his fury.

His eyes darkened even further, a frightening black.  Suddenly, something snapped in him and he began to tremble with his pent up frustration.  His eyes burned into mine and, despite my own anger, I still flinched slightly.

Suddenly aggressive lips were on mine, biting and viciously.  I let out a small cry of shock and pain, but Kyuhyun only gripped me tighter, no doubt leaving his imprint on my wrists.

I blinked away mypanicked  tears, reminding myself that I was already tainted anyway.  My wrath returned and suddenly I was kissing him back just as harshly and violently.  Teeth clashed and I tasted blood when I bit down on his tongue spitefully.

I was too far gone to stop now, any hint of remaining innocence long gone.  If Kyuhyun wanted to play this game then fine, I would play it too.

It’s not like I had anything else to lose.


 

Lolz well I finally updated, sorry about the wait.

BUT on a positive note, I finally got my first ever job!!!  Like I'm actually going to earn real money for the first time in my 18 years of life (and yes I realizeit's a little late for me to be getting my first job but don't burst my bubble because I'm really excited/nervous about this whole deal)

Anyway, back to the story...

Lol, in case you didn't get it, Kyu was jelly over the Haewook interaction.

*shakes head*

I love me some explosively jealous Evil Maknae

... no one even reads my ramblings, huh?

 

Music: "Black Pearl (Kiss ver.)"- EXO (bc this muthering album is the playlist to my life and I'm now officially and ELF with EXotic feels so deal w it)