Chapter 29

Too Close to Love You

“What did the king want?”

I turned and tried to appear nonchalant as I responded,

“He wanted to know if you had purchased me from my master.  He was curious, seeing as you never bothered to take a slave before”

I held my breath, hoping he wouldn’t pry, technically I wasn’t lying.  Kyuhyun arched his brows, but didn’t say anything.  I knew he didn’t buy my story, but it was obvious that he wasn’t going to push me.  I smiled slightly in relief, at least we could pretend to maintain some semblance of distance between our ever overlapping lives.

Kyuhyun returned to studying the paper in his hands, his brow furrowed in concentration.  I prepared to leave the room, but he called out.

“Tomorrow I’m going to teach you to shoot”

I stopped and turned around to face him.  I searched his face for any type of humor, but he continued the read like he hadn’t just said something completely ridiculous.

“Why?” I asked tiredly.

He didn’t tear his eyes away from the paper as he replied,

“Safety precautions.  I can’t leave my slave completely defenseless”

I rolled my eyes slightly at his small smirk, but otherwise didn’t respond.  Despite his mocking, I could see he was serious.  I decided it was safer to remain silent, if I spoke I knew I would question his motives, and I didn’t want to know.

I turned to leave the room, but again, he wouldn’t let me go.

“Do you understand what I’m telling you?” he asked in a strict voice.

I stiffened, but I didn’t turn around.

“Yeah” I mumbled, letting out a small sigh of defeat, it seemed I was the only one trying to create distance.

This time he let me leave the room, but I almost wished I had stayed.  Now that I was alone my thoughts haunted me relentlessly.

My chest tightened as I felt the room growing smaller.  The pressure the king had placed on me was exacerbated by Kyuhyun’s words.  The king had already put his faith in me, and it seemed Kyuhyun was starting to as well.

I couldn’t take it.

**********

“You’re not terrible… I’m actually surprised”

“Gee, thanks so much” I shot back sarcastically, putting the heavy bow down and flexing my sore arms.

We had been practicing for a few hours now and I was already tired.  I was used to heavy labor and was adequately strong, but archery forced me to use muscles I didn’t even know I had.

It seemed Kyuhyun was satisfied with my current ability.  I was grateful because I didn’t think I could keep it up much longer.  I stepped away from the practice range and one of Kyuhyun’s subordinates smiled at me politely.

I returned his smile hesitantly and tried to pass him, but he decided to follow.  I watched him out of the corner of my eye warily.  The man’s name was Lieutenant Lee, more commonly known as Donghae, and from my observations he wasn’t a threat, however it was always better to be safe.

“Can I help you?” I asked, doing my best not to sound impolite.

“Ah!  I’m sorry if I’m bothering you, but I just wanted to tell you that you’re really lucky!”

My lips quirked into a small smile at the irony.  I don’t think I had ever heard anyone tell me I was lucky.

“Commander Cho never teaches anyone to shoot, I’ve never seen him take so much care before”

I pondered Donghae’s words and couldn’t help but ask,

“How long have you known the Commander?”

“Many years.  I mean were not close or anything, but I had been serving under him since I joined the army”

I nodded and bit my lip knowing that I shouldn’t question him further, but in the end my curiosity won out.

“What… what do you know about the Commander?  You said you weren’t close, but do you know anyone who is?”

Donghae scrunched up his face as he thought.  After a while he shook his head and answered,

“Honestly, the Commander is a solitary man.  I don’t think he really has any friends, and I certainly doubt he’s had any lovers”

He paused and smiled at me happily,

“But that’s why I’m so happy you’re here now.  I don’t think it’s healthy for someone to be alone all the time, so I’m glad he has you.  Lately, the Commander has become less cold and everyone is pleased to see your influence on him.  We’re relieved that he finally has someone in his heart”

I stared at Donghae blankly, a sense of dread coming over me.  At that moment Donghae was called away so he smiled and bowed to me slightly before walking off. 

Was Kyuhyun really changing?  More importantly, if he was, then was it because of me?

I flinched and spun around when I felt a hand fall on my shoulder.  I didn’t relax even when I saw it was Kyuhyun, in fact I tensed even harder.

Kyuhyun arched his brow when he saw my panicked state and he asked,

“What’s got you all spooked?”

I shook my head quickly, doing my best to avoid his penetrating gaze. 

“Nothing” I answered softly, edging past him, “I’m going back to the base”

I quickly hurried across the field and headed towards the tent.  My stomach was in a knot and my breaths came out in harsh, irregular intervals.

When I burst inside the tent I immediately started pacing, my stomach stubbornly refusing to unclench.

“” I muttered over and over again, running my hands through my hair in frustration.  I froze when I heard someone enter the tent and I didn’t have to turn around to know it was Kyuhyun.

“Seriously, what the hell is up with you?” he asked sounding slightly irritated.

I didn’t answer him, walking over to the couch instead.  He followed after me and I quietly sat down, bringing my knees to my chest.

He studied me for a moment before he hissed,

“Did… did someone do something to you!?”

His voice was menacing, but I could detect a hint of worry in his voice.  I felt my eyes well up with tears and I whispered,

“S-stop… just p-please s-stop…”

“Ryeowook?” he asked, just sounding confused.

I squeezed my eyes closed and said in a low voice,

“S-stop changing… j-just s-stop…”

He was silent but I didn’t open my eyes to check his reaction.  I clenched my hands into fists as I let all my frustration and fears spill out of me.

“I-I don’t know what to do.  E-everyone expects m-me to help you, t-they tell me I-I’m changing you, but I’m n-not doing anything.  I can’t f-fix you and I can’t make y-you better, so just s-stop!  Stop giving them false h-hope… just stop letting them b-believe because I c-can’t.  Kyuhyun, don’t let me in… j-just push me away, p-please… p-please…” I pleaded desperately.

I finally opened my eyes.  Kyuhyun was standing before me, a blank look on his face.  He stared at me emotionlessly and for a second I let myself believe that we would be fine.  For a second I believed that we had managed to replace one of the barriers that separated us.

But then he spoke.

“I… I don’t think I can”

I stared at him in horror and he gave me a grim look.

“I’m sorry” he murmured.

I watched with wide eyes as he walked out of the tent.  I opened my mouth to call out to him, but nothing came out.  I wanted to ask him what he meant, but I couldn’t bring myself to form the words.  So I simply dropped my head into my hands, feeling like everything was crumbling down around me.

I sat there with nothing but my sobs filling the silence.


Guise, gusie!!!!!

*hyperventilates*

I'm graduating high school in 2 days!!!!  OMFG I can't... just whoa...

*panic attack*

 

Music: "Hyde"- VIXX