January 6

Silencing Her Suffering

 

 

Date – January 6

Time – 7 O’ Clock in the Morning

Place – Naeun’s Apartment

If Naeun followed me today, it would be a huge proof that she was getting better.

“Let’s go?” I asked her somewhat uncertainly. To my complete delight, she stood up and headed out of the door voluntarily.

 

 

Time – Ten Minutes Later

Place – Inside a Bus

When all of the seats were taken, Naeun immediately gave up her chair to a child. I stared at her in surprise. This was a new side to her that I knew nothing about.

In the back of my mind, I wondered if Naeun would have done that a month ago, when she secluded herself from the rest of the world.

I smiled secretly to myself. Not only was she getting better, but I was thinking of others more often.

This adventure of rehabilitation is surprisingly helpful for the both of us.

 

 

 

Time – 7:30 AM

Place – Local Kindergarten

She looked surpirsed when we got of the bus. Why are we here? her eyes spoke.

I answered Naeun's question by grabbing her small hand, and leading the way.

 

 

Time – 7:35 AM

Place – Inside the Kindergarten

Inside, the two of us watched an ordinary yet untiring scene of parents dropping off their children to school. Warm hugs and tender kisses were shared while sincere well-beings were exchanged.

I felt her small hand grasp mine even tighter, so I followed her eyes.

“Bye Mom, bye Dad! See you after school!” The child waved before readily heading inside his assigned room. Naeun’s hand clasped mine even harder.

For a second, I wondered why this scene made her sentimental. The truth soon suddenly hit me.

The child was prepared to leave his parents to step in to a new world.

Apparently, this was a huge contrast to Naeun’s.

Her parents left (albeit involuntarily) and she was anything but prepared to face the world on her own.

Naeun could learn from the child.

 

 

Time – 7:40 AM

A tear slid down her left eye. I wiped it automatically.

“Do you remember the times when we were all as loving and complete as them?” I asked her softly. She nodded while I wiped another fallen tear.

“Would you want us to relive those moments?”

Naeun’s hand froze in mid-air as she turned to face me. Confusion clouded her eyes as I smiled happily.

What do you say about being the childrens's teacher for the day?