December 16

Silencing Her Suffering

 

Date - Exactly a Week after My Last Visit

Time - 9:00 AM

Place – Outside of Her Apartment m

I wondered if she was upset at me for bringing her to the hospital without warning.

She seemed hostile the moment I came in.

 

 

Time – 9:05 AM

Place – Currently Inside Her Room

“We're going somewhere fun for the both of us,” I tried to coax her. For days, I had planned this trip together. It was difficult to gather resources, but I'd do go through any trouble to carry out OPERATION:HEALING. 

But she did not get up from the chair. Several lengthy seconds of silenced passed.

“It’s nowhere like the hospital,” I tried again. This time, she snapped her head upwards to stare at me.

I can bring her anywhere but the hospital, I concluded.

Her interested eyes was the go-signal that I was waiting for.

 

 

Time – 9:40 AM

Place – In a Long Line

I saw Naeun stop in her tracks when I led her to the back of the line. Numerous people stood in front of us, so I could feel her stiffen once again. I learned that being with many people made her uncomfortable, so I grabbed her hand and tightly held it in my own, hoping it would transfer some of my strength to her.

 

Time – 10:30 AM

Place – Gag Concert Studio

To relax and to have a source of laughter, the citizens of Korea normally turn on their television to their preferred variety series. My personal favorite was a comedy show, Gag Concert, and I wanted to share this with Naeun. So, I brought her to the studio.

Though I would have readily chosen a front row seat during any other day, today was definitely different. Certainly, I could tell that Naeun would opt to stay as far from the majority as possible. Thus, we sat in the farthest seat at the right-most edged corner.

 

 

Time – When the First Segment Starts

At first, I could tell that she had some trouble understanding the comedy elements of the show.

Why did those men have to dress up as beggars to bring laughter?

How can singing and comedy go together and still be considered as one? Wouldn't people find it weird?

Why did everyone laugh at the over-weight comedian?

But I could sense a change in her as well.

 


Time – 11 AM

A few segments after the show had started, I was already laughing hard enough for my stomach to start aching. I half expected Naeun to be her usual stoic, unresponsive self, but I turned to my left, I saw a twinkle in her eyes instead.

This was a great sign, more than I was expecting.

I smiled and turned forward.

 

Time - 11:04 AM

Now, she was laughing at the “Flowery Beggar” and his guest.

 

 

 

Time – Five Minutes Later

She laughed at the “Brave Guy’s” over-all performance, and she also nodded her head in agreement during certain parts.

 

 

Time – Ten Minutes Later

When the “Four Men” came up, I could sense her empathy towards the over-weight comedian, as the tight clasping of her arms suggested.

She seemed to enjoy this segment the most.

 

 

 

Time – Fifteen Minutes Later (an hour since the show had started)

By the end of the show, Naeun wasn't laughing and was nowhere near socializing, but she was relaxed. Almost as evidently as the people around her. Whatever the segments caused her to think, it certainly made an impact on her.

Seeing Naeun’s lips curve upward ever so slightly, and noticing the bright sparkle in her eyes made me feel like I shared in her happiness.

I felt an emotion which I had never experienced in the past.