Senior

Have you ever wondered?

Hweji’s POV

 

Jimin-ssi had come home a few days ago. She’s been gone for approximately a month and a week for some business thing abroad (somewhere in Europe). I can’t believe it’s been 12 years already since I’ve lived with Oba-chan. Though she was thirty, she still looked like a supermodel. No lines on her face, perfect complexion, toned body and long legs that go on forever.

 

I could hear her voice from my room. She was outside singing to some song she liked while she prepared my uniform for tomorrow.

 

School starts tomorrow and I have to admit, I really miss wearing our uniform; the matching brown, tartan skirt and necktie and the navy blue blazer. I laughed at myself thinking this.

 

My summer has definitely been too boring.

 

I turned to my side, not being able to sleep. I looked at the stuffed animals I had surrounding me, counting them again and again the same way one would count sheep when they couldn’t sleep. When I opened my eyes, it was suddenly morning and I could see the bright sunlight that came through the window. I didn’t even know I had fallen asleep.

 

I was now officially a senior! I reminisced the times and couldn’t believe how fast the years have flown by. I texted HyunA if she wanted to go to school together, I waited for her reply but found that there was none. So I left my cell phone on my bed and went to take a shower.

 

I take a pretty long time to shower, so I wasn’t surprise to see HyunA in our kitchen when I got out of the bathroom.

 

“I bet you woke up early.” I said as I walked to my room. I got dressed and went to meet HyunA in the kitchen.

 

“Ready?” I asked.

 

“Aren’t you going to eat?” she ignored my question and asked her own.

 

I grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl on the dining table and presented it to her; my breakfast!

 

She shook her head, “Don’t blame me when you’re starving later.”

 

Our apartment was only a few blocks from school, so instead of riding the bus or a car, we just walked. It only took us twenty minutes.

 

Our school was one big, enclosed, rectangular-shaped building, painted white and green. Our school was known for having rich students, which is probably because the facilities are great. The cafeteria and the restrooms were spotless and not at all disgusting, the hallways were wide, the whole building was air-conditioned during the warmer months and was heated when it was colder, the gym didn’t smell like sweat from 5 million years ago, we had a luxurious auditorium and we had a beautiful and tranquil garden elevated near the cafeteria (which surprisingly not many students go to). The school had so much more to offer, though all of these didn’t come cheap.

 

 Our high school looked exactly the same and I liked it that way.

Being the first day of the school year, we didn’t really have any class. We just got assigned to our rooms and met our classmates. Most of the teachers assigned to our class were already familiar with us and vice-versa and I also got roomed with HyunA. I took the day as a good omen since it went through pretty decently.

 

 Two days of school passed and normalcy kicked that phase where you actually want to go to school, out the window. I rode the bus home with HyunA and our other friends. The bus never goes all the way up the street to our apartment building’s front. It halted (as usual) at the bus stop and I had to walk all the way up the small hill to get to our building.

 

 

*Luhan’s POV

 

I opened my eyes to the sound of a loud banging. Turns out it was only Kris. He banged on the door to wake me up.

 

 The night before I had told him I would wake up early to get to school on time – but that was a big fat lie. I had planned this day; now it was already nine thirty, by the time I’d finish showering and getting ready it would be ten o’ clock and the short drive would make sure that by the time I’d get to my new school, break would have just finished. In the process of preparing myself for school I moved lethargically.

 

“Hurry up you snail!” Kris yelled as I put on my uniform. For a short moment, I tried to persuade myself to think that maybe going to school here would actually be a good thing, but that only lasted a second.

 

“What good can come from this?” I muttered to myself.

 

I looked at myself in the mirror. This uniform is actually pretty nice. The pants were black and blazer was a dark navy blue color.

 

“Okay, that’s enough self-admiring.” Kris said jokingly as he pushed me to the door.

 

“Can’t I at least eat breakfast?” I asked, not even hungry, just buying more time.

 

He sighed and grabbed a Subway sandwich from the fridge, “Here.” and shoved it at me.

 

“Am I supposed to walk to school or what?” I asked, realizing I didn’t really know how to get there.

 

“I’ll drive.” He said. My brother grabbed the keys in the glass bowl placed on the drawer next to the front door and we headed to his car. He was still in his typical at-home attire; a pair of sweat pants, a cotton tank and had his bangs tied up on top of his head and big, fluffy panda slippers.

 

When we got to the main gates, they were already closed. We had to wait a few minutes for one of the guards to ask permission to open them for us.

 

I wanted to ask Kris if he’d let me keep the car but I assumed he would say no, so I didn’t bother.

 

“I’ll be back later.” I hate this feeling, I’m repulsed by it; I feel like a child, being brought to school and being brought home. I only put up with it today because I didn’t even know where this school was located, but now that I do, I won’t let myself be handled again.

 

Kris sped off, and only then did I realize, school was only a few blocks away. My brother wouldn’t have minded walking home. Damn it!

 

I didn’t know what time this school has its breaks, I simply schemed on impulse, though just as I had hoped, the halls were deserted. I walked around until I found the principal’s office. A small sign on her desk had her name on it. I introduced myself and she led me to my class. It was on the third floor.

 

Mrs. Han knocked on the door and a woman (who I assume is the teacher; she wore what appeared to me as a uniform) walked out to join us in the hall.

 

“Good morning principal Han.” She greeted and nodded at me.

 

I did not respond.

 

“This is our new transfer student, Mr. Wu. He’s assigned in this class.” The principal, explained.

 

“Of course.” The teacher answered.

 

She extended her hand, I shook it and she introduced herself. We walked in. The class was full except for one vacant desk in the last row of the room. The noise of chattering died down to a sound of hushed whispers when I walked into the class. I tried to ignore the fact that the girls were giggling to themselves and nudging their friends.

 

Well, there goes my hope of being in a different environment. I guess no matter what school I go to I’m going to have to suffer this.

 

“This is Wu Luhan, he is in this class. I hope you will all be kind to him and show him the school spirit we have here.” The teacher said.

 

She pointed at the empty desk at the back of the room next to the window.

 

 That’s going to be my permanent seat for the rest of the year? This year is going to be a long and miserable one.

 

I walked over to the desk without looking at anyone. I plan on avoiding as many people as possible, thank you very much. Nonetheless, I saw them turn to follow me with their eyes, as if I was a unicorn that they couldn’t believe existed. I’ve been in the room for less than two minutes but my so-called new classmates were already annoying me. If there’s one thing I can’t stand, its people who keep staring at me.

 

When the bell rang to indicate lunch, the girl who sat in front of me stood up and turned to look at me, only then did I notice that I had been placed in the same room as Hweji, my neighbor!

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

A small world right? :3