The bag brawl

Have you ever wondered?

Chapter II

 

*Kris' POV

 

Hweji seems pretty nice. Sure, a little weird, but nice. After making sure my brother was in his room, I went back downstairs to the lobby and sat with Amelia in front of the main desk. We had a few things to talk about.

“Hey.” I said as I took a seat on the chair in front of her.

“How can I help you Kris?” she asked with her “friendly business smile”.

“I just came down to thank you for being so hospitable.”

“So, What do you think about Hweji?” she asked suddenly, just as I wanted.

“Hweji seems nice, has she been living here long?” I asked first, acting as casual as possible.

“Oh yes. She and her aunt are the only permanent residents here actually. Her aunt has lived here since she graduated from college.” she told me.

“Oh, so her parents left her with her aunt. Business people, eh?” I assumed.

“No dear, her parents are dead.” She said with an apologetic smile.

“Oh. I see.” I muttered, feeling sorry for the girl and continued, “Would it be too nosy if I asked how they died?”

“I guess it is a little. But I think it’s best for you to know. Her parents died in a car accident when she was young. She’s a very nice girl actually, a lot like her aunt. Hard headed and a bit childish though.” she explained.

“I see. How old is she again?”

“Seventeen.”

“Okay.” I felt like I was prying too much too early. I only realized then that there was so much about this girl that I didn’t know. I guess I felt it would be better to hear this all from the proper source, Hweji herself. I stopped with only that and said goodbye.

“If you don't mind, may I know why you asked?” She requested. I can't go and tell her the real reason; if I say "I'm planning on getting her and my brother together so we can finally go home" that would be stupid. Of course I have to lie, and that is a thing I can be pretty good at when needed.

“I just want to know if were living with good people.” I told her.

She seemed disappointed with my answer but believed me, “don't worry, that’s my job.” she said.

“I'm sorry for the disturbance.”

“No problem, I do what I can to help my tenants.” and with that, I went back to our apartment.

As soon as I got inside, I saw Hweji’s bag on the sofa. Kris, probably didn't forget but decided he'd let me give it back myself. I could see he didn't like Hweji more than he does other people, being all anti-social. He's real hard to impress and even harder to befriend.

This was perfect. If I plan to bring my brother and my neighbor together, I have to start somewhere, no matter how small.

“Luhan!” I called loudly as I pushed his door open. He was lying in his bed half- – he does that a lot—and listening to music. I could hear his music even from where I stood. He always plays music louder than necessary, not caring about the consequences.

“Hey!”I called, poking him in the stomach with my foot. He opened his eyes and looked at me.

“What?” he asked. I smiled at him, not my normal smile but my 'manipulative' smile. His eyes grew large as he realized my intentions.

“No way! I want nothing to do with her; it was bad enough I had to carry her bag when I didn't even want to walk up with her. I am not leaving this bed, nor am I letting you bother me just so she can have her bag back.” he whined, pulling off his headphones.

“Why do you hate her so much? You just met her.” I argued. Lulu really is a puzzling, judgmental and unsociable person.

“I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally. People I’ve known for years, people I see on the street and people I’ve known for five seconds.” He sat up, and smiled smugly at me.

I was going to wipe that smile of his face because I was going to get what I wanted. He will give her bag to Hweji whether he liked it or not.

I grabbed his arm and started pulling him out of his room, not the easiest thing I’ve done. When I finally got him out, there stood the second obstacle, the living room. But like always, I got what I wanted and I grabbed the bag on the sofa and threw both of them out into the hall. The bag hit him in the stomach, but he ignored it and let it fall to the floor.

I closed the door in his face. Yes, this doesn’t seem quite brotherly, but we get along just fine like this. We can’t stand not getting what we want at times, and even though we argue a lot it's never really serious, and we’re still extremely close. I found some paper in a drawer in the kitchen, grabbed a pen from another and wrote:

 "If you want me to let you in, you know what to do. I'm watching you."

and slipped it under the door. I was keeping watch of him through the small peep hole. He made a face and rolled his eyes, he looked at the peep hole, knowing I could see him and stuck his tongue at me as he pulled down an eye.

I opened the door ever so slightly, “You know, any person can come out of their rooms or walk up or down from those stairs at any moment.” and closed the door again.

He punched the door; I heard the loud thud and felt the vibrations.

He picked up the bag and mouthed, "happy?"

I opened the door and stuck my hand out, thumbs up.

 

 

*Luhan’s POV

 

 Wonderful, just fantastic! Sometimes I swear my brother is more immature than I am. I will get back at him for this. Not only this but for every single prank and unwanted deed he has done to me. I will have my payback.

Shirtless and very angry, I looked at my feet where her bag landed after hitting me, deciding what to do. Well, duh! There’s only one thing to do: give her this stupid bag.

What was his problem? Why do I have to give it back? He’s got hands too, you know? I grabbed it and said, “Happy?” I thought he couldn’t hear me, but he stuck out his hand and gave me a thumbs-up. I wanted to kick the door open, and I would’ve if only Kris wasn’t standing behind it, and I don’t want to hit him with it. Or do I? Knowing him, he’ll probably be able to dodge it anyway.

But instead, I just sighed and knocked on the other door. It opened and she popped her head out, her eyes grew when she saw me. She opened it wider. The embarrassment of standing outside a neighbor—a girl neighbor – who I just happen to dislike more than an average stranger, was jabbing at me. She looked at me and I shoved the bag at her, “Here, you forgot this.”

She was wearing a washed out oversized grey shirt and black jeans. She held the door open with her left hand and had a half-melted chocolate bar in her right. Her face also had smudges of chocolate all over.

I wonder if she knows. Whatever, I don’t care. I turned to pound my fist on the door but it opened as soon as I turned around.

Wait, didn’t she even realize we still had her bag? What if she had money in it? Or something important, would she still forget? Or is she actually scatter-brained? Yes, Hweji happens to be a stranger and it’s not unusual for me to dislike those I don’t know. Pfft! I even hate those I already know! It’s just who I am, but for some reason I didn’t understand I was grossed out and annoyed by the presence of this girl more than anybody else. I just can’t stand her!

“I don’t like her.” I muttered at Kris. Basically, I was announcing I wanted nothing more to do with my new front door neighbor.

“You haven’t even gotten to know her yet,” he complained. “She seems nice, you know.”

“No. she seems like a dirty, irresponsible and immature person.”

“Oh come on, Lulu. You’re practically just described yourself. Have you laid eyes on your room; you’re probably just as messy. Plus, you’re the most childish person I know.” he argued.

“There’s a difference between immature and childish. And you just happen to be the most childish person I know too.” I shot back at him.

“The way you make her sound, it’s as if she's a dumb cheerleader: Pretty, stupid and reckless.”

“You came up with that on your own. I never called her pretty.”

“So you’re saying she's ugly too?” he asked suddenly.

“Why? You like her, don’t you?” I teased. He just raised a brow at me. The truth is, I actually haven't really looked at her face, and right now I didn’t know if she was beautiful or not. I know what she looks like, but at the same time, I don’t. But I have no plans on even checking.

“Grow up, will you.” he said. He walked over to the already set table, “Let’s eat!”

After picking at my food I got up and dumped my plate in the dish washer, I didn’t even touch anything else my brother made and took off with a pint of ice cream I grabbed from the refrigerator.

 

 

*Hweji's POV

 

I changed out of my clothes and went to the living room to watch TV – my favorite show had just started – until there was a knock on the door.

I climbed over the sofa, which was faster, and hurried to answer it. I really didn’t want to miss my show. I opened the door and popped my head out lightly to see who it was, and opened it further when I saw who was standing in the hall. I was surprised it was him, and even more shocking that he didn’t have a shirt: Luhan. I tried to concentrate on his face, but I could see his sculpted body with my peripheral vision. It didn’t help looking at his face either, so now I was practically looking at him but trying not to see him. I didn’t get the chance to ask what he needed because he shoved something at me.

Oh! My bag. So, he still had it. In my rush to escape the torment of their presence earlier I had totally forgotten to get it back.

“Here, you forgot this.” he said. He then turned around and the door behind him opened.

Come on Hweji, say something. What? Thank him, obviously. I was telling myself but the words only really came out of my mouth at the last second.

“Uh... Thanks!” slipped out right when their door closed behind him. I guess there was a bigger chance that he now thinks I’m also an ungrateful jerk.

Amazingly good first impression Hweji, I told myself. Sarcasm, my most fluent language was clear in my own thoughts. I don’t know why I didn’t want to seem like a hideous person to him, to them. I guess it’s because we’re neighbors. I don’t know.

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Tunayuna presents chapter two :D
trust me, it gets better in the long run.