party

Have you ever wondered?

Hweji's POV

After going to sleep at almost two in the morning, the idea of leaving bed just didn’t seem that attractive. But I had to; I had somewhere important to go.
HyunA's younger sister, Minah, was celebrating her seventh birthday today and I still needed to buy her a gift.

I got up and lazily dragged myself as I got ready, I looked at the clock: eleven in the morning. I regretted watching all those How I Met Your Mother episodes last night. I would promise I wouldn’t do it ever again, but knowing myself, I probably would, so there’s no point in making a promise I’ll surely break.
I took a quick shower, got dressed and ran down the stairs. Almost forgetting my apartment keys in that whole process! I got to the lobby and saw that Athena, Amelia’s younger sister, was on duty. I walked up to the front desk and borrowed one of the bikes they rented out.
Yes, borrowed. She said I didn’t need to pay for rent. Awesome, guess this is a sign that this day won’t . Hopefully.

I stood next to the shiny red bike, putting on my headphones and playing it on shuffle. I got on it and sped down the hill. I’m not really that good with bikes but I was in a hurry, I still didn’t have a clue what I was going to get Minah-dongsaeng.
I was so preoccupied with thinking of the perfect gift that I almost got hit by a passing car when I crossed the street and I yelled out an insincere sorry.
What? I was in a rush.

I quickly stopped past a toy store that I completely forgot was even on this street.
I was about to walk in the store when the song changed to 어쩌다 마주친 by레드애플. I paused, remembering that Minah happens to be a big LEDapple fan, so I got back on my bike and went two blocks away to the nearest music store I knew.
Luckily, they had their new album. As I paid for it at the cash register I saw a small G-clef keychain and bought that too as a little “bonus” to the album.

It didn’t cross my mind how far I was from the park. HyunA and I said we’d meet at the park nearest to my house, even though I knew where she lived. I think I biked for thirty blocks before I got to my destination, and my wrist watch already read twelve thirty. I was already panting, only then did I realize I had nothing to wrap my gift in.

HyunA wasn’t there. Maybe she got tired of waiting for me and just left? I was proven wrong when I felt a finger tap on my shoulder.

“You’re late.” I stated as I turned to face her, joking that I’ve been here for eternity waiting for her.

“Oh. You’ve been waiting long? I’m sorry.” She replied.

“Nah! I was just playing with you.” I laughed.
She squinted playfully at me. “Okay. Let’s go.” She said. She was on a bike too, which was a relief.

We pedaled together to their house. HyunA lived in a private neighborhood that was walled in and only had two entrances, both of which were big electronic gates. All the houses in the neighborhood were huge. They all looked the same except for a few differences which were customized by the home owners.
HyunA’s was a big white house with a big lawn filled with colorful flowers. Today that beautiful yard was filled with helium balloons in various colors – most of which were pink, yellow and blue – tied to the small branches of plants. There were little kids running around, some had their parents running after them.
We passed the house to the backyard where there was a long buffet table with all kinds of food carefully aligned in order. From meat and vegetables to candies and sweet.

Mixed in with the kids and adults was a handsome guy in shiny black jeans, a black and white striped shirt, a neat looking nit hoodie, and old fashioned black moccasin shoes. He was surrounded by children including Minah: Kris.

I admired Kris. He seemed nice and he dressed in that simple, classy way that suited him well.

I nudged HyunA and she looked at me, “You know that guy?” I asked. She pressed her lips together tightly, looking at him. She just shook her head with a frown.
I wonder what he was doing here, didn’t they just move in yesterday?
“So you don’t know him? Then why is he here?” I continued to ask.

“I don’t know him, but my mom and dad do.”  She answered. “Amelia and Athena” she meant our land lords, “as you know are very close to omma. They were chitchatting with her yesterday and asked if he could be invited so they could ‘meet decent people and make friends. So…” she shrugged.

I nodded. “Okay.”

“Why do you ask?”

“He’s my neighbor.” I answered.

She looked at me so seriously. She kept looking and looking and looking.

“What?” I finally muttered.

“Nothing. It’s just that… He’s so… handsome.”

“I know, right? I replied. “He’s actually pretty nice, but I hate the feeling when I stand near him and his brother. I feel fugly!” I exclaimed. She just slapped my shoulder.

At that moment, Kris looked up from the kids he was talking to and looked in our direction. Our eyes met and he smiled. I seriously felt like drooling. I had no clue how I managed to smile back at him.
He stood up and started to walk towards us. My heart started to beat so fast, I didn’t have a crush on him or anything but my heart was beating so fast and so hard it was about to fly out of my chest.  Just being around this guy was an adrenaline rush!
 
 
Kris’ POV
 
“Hey Hweji.” I greeted her. She stared at me, speechless. I don’t think she knows how long she stood there blankly; her friend was awkwardly looking at us, half smiling from embarrassment.

“Uh, hello.” She finally answered.

I nodded and turned to her friend. My brother and I were both invited but due to obvious reasons, I had to come here on my own.

“Hi.” I smiled at her. “I’ve met your sister, judging from the resemblance. I’m guessing your HyunA?” I inquired.

She nodded. “And you are?” She asked.

I extended my arm and she shook it, “Wu Yi Fan.”

“Nice to meet you.” We said in unison. I chuckled, and so did she.  I guessed Hweji finally realized she had zoned out on me and apologized.

“No biggie.” I said.
There was a moment of silence amongst the three of us, and it was awkward standing in the middle of the yard, so decided to kill the awkward silence. I asked if they’d like to join me where I sat. They looked at each other and agreed.

The first couple of hours we just sat there and chatted. Getting used to each other’s presence, and getting rid of that awkward feeling around people you don’t really know that well. After that, the afternoon became exciting. Games we’re held in the middle of the Kim’s backyard, next to their swimming pool. Children played and so did some adults. Even Hweji and HyunA joined in, they kept pestering me to join them in more than one event.
We laughed and went inside the house to watch a couple of movies on DVD.

I was surprised to find out that they were fans of the How I Met Your Mother too – I overheard their conversations. When we went back out, the sun had already set and it was already time for dinner. I guess we were watching more than “just a few”.

I found the mixture of the music in the background and the sound of children giggling and adults and other teenagers talking, pleasant. I was glad to be here, to be able to attend these kinds of events even away from home.
 
After a couple of people finished eating, they walk to the center and started dancing. I finished before the girls and decided to go get more drinks for us.

“I’ll be back.” I said as I passed behind them as they ate.
I was already walking back when I remembered their age. I was older by four years. Damn I felt old!

“You guys don’t drink? Do you?” I asked a little too late.

They weren’t allowed, being underage and all. They explained they drank Champaign and wine on occasions but didn’t really have any habit of drinking outside of big parties but caved in a few seconds later and admitted they’d usually have a drink or two every now and then. I asked if they wanted some Champaign and HyunA offered that she’d get us a bottle.

“You don’t need to. I can go get us some.” I told her.

“No, it’s fine. Besides, I’m going to go get us a bottle of our own.”  And she walked off before I could comment that a whole bottle was unnecessary.

“She’s too nice for her own good.” I stated.

“Word.” Hweji agreed. We laughed and shook our heads.

HyunA walked out of their house, holding on to two expensive bottles and three expensive glasses with ease. She’s a girl who was graceful, elegant and beautiful. Her hair that only reached a few centimeters above her shoulder framed her face with curls and made her look like an innocent child. She wore a chiffon high-waisted skirt and a top that was tucked under it and a pair of white flats. Her attire made her look even more innocent than she already did.  On her way back to us she was stopped by a few guests and they kissed each other on the cheek.

“Here we go guys.” Pouring an adequate amount of Champaign in the glasses she had placed in front of us.

“Thank you.” I said. She smiled back in reply.

“Thanks Hyunnie.” Hweji said.

“No problem.”

“Well now, Cheers to Minah! Happy birthday!” We glasses clanked.

As if on cue, gifts were being brought out to be given to the birthday girl. Her parents coaxed her to thank those who brought her gifts; I brought her a big stuffed toy. When she finished accepting and opening all them, she had a pile of gifts next to her that was the size of a mountain. And after all that, people started dancing again. Most of the children were already sleeping and some of the other guests had already left, but there were still a number of people here.

“Would one of you like to dance?”  I asked, standing.

“I don’t dance.” Hweji said.

I turned to HyunA and pouted, “Don’t make me go there and dance alone.” I told her jokingly. She laughed and stood up, took the hand I offered and walked with me to the center to join the other guests.

The music suddenly changed to slow music. At first we felt awkward slow dancing, but after the first song ended and another slow song started we started getting comfortable. She was even leaning on my chest. She felt so warm and cozy.

“I’m a bad dancer. Sorry.” She apologized. I laughed at her, disbelief all over my face.

“I know, I’m awful at dancing. No need to laugh at me.” She said, smiling
.
“I’m not laughing at you’re dancing skills. I for one, think you’re pretty good at it. But if you really don’t think so… here.” I stopped dancing, and told her to place her feet on mine.

“No! I’ll ruin your shoes. They’re too nice for me to step on.” She said.
I snorted at the comment.

“Okay, okay!” and stepped on my feet. “I warn you, I’m pretty heavy.”

I snorted again.

“Stop snorting!” She laughed and pinched my nose.

“Make me!” I challenged.

“Hey! Let’s take a picture!” She suddenly suggested. I was surprisingly having a lot of fun tonight taking a picture wasn’t a bad idea. I wanted to permanently capture this moment. I toke out my phone after I agreed.
I only took two photos of us before turning to Hweji. She was looking to her right, so I snapped a stolen picture of her – a little present for Luhan when I get back – and she looked pretty good in it. After the song ended, we walked back to our table and found her resting her head on it, eyes closed. I took another picture of her like that and HyunA chuckled.

I tried to poke Hweji up. “Hey.”

“Sorry.” She said as she sat up.

I smiled. “I’m afraid we can’t forgive you until you take a few pictures with us” I told her as I took a seat next to her. I was sitting in the middle with Hweji on my left and HyunA on my right.
I extended my arm and took a picture of us smiling and two more of us making weird, funny faces.

“Oh my God.” HyunA suddenly muttered.

“What?” I asked as I turned to her. I saw her pointing at the empty bottles of Champaign. My eyes grew when I remembered that the first one wasn’t even half empty when we left to dance. “Whoa.”

“Hweji, did you drink all that?” I asked.
She didn’t answer, but she hiccupped and that was all the answer I needed – I gotta give her credit for finishing both bottles as quickly as she did though.
I shook my head. “I guess the party’s over then. I should probably take her home.” I told HyunA.

She pouted but said, “Okay.”

“Thanks.” I told her as I helped her drunken best friend stand up.
I put my arm around her and started to assist herto my car. I passed HyunA’s parents on our way out and thanked them for the invite. They asked what happened to Hweji and I explained that she drank too much Champaign. They didn’t seem too shocked at that and told me to take care. I nodded and continued to my car.
I opened the passenger door of my black Lamborghini. Yeah, really low profile, right? I should’ve thought twice before I bought this car here.
When we got to the car, she passed out. I lifted her up and positioned her on the passenger’s seat and buckled her seat belt. Safety first!
I started to drive when she opened her eyes.

“Who are you?” She asked, poking my face. I lightly slapped her hand out of the way.

“C’mon, you know who I am.” I laughed.

“Yeah! You’re my dentist. Wake me up when it’s time to put my braces on.”

I laughed. She really is drunk. And then, a few blocks later she was awake again. “No. you’re not my dentist, you’re my neighbor.” She realized.

“Bingo!”

“Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure.”

“Why’d you move to our building?” She asked. I turned my head to glance at her. She had her eyes closed and rested her head against the window.

“Well… Don’t tell anyone, okay?” I compromised.

“Cross my heart!” she said, drawing a slurry cross on her chest.

“Well, it’s a long story. You might fall asleep again.”

“Nope.” She said, folding her legs onto the leather seats, she looked at me intently with her chin on her knees.

“To make the long story short: Luhan,” I stopped and asked a quick question before I continued, half teasingly and half seriously, “You do remember Luhan?”

“Of course.” She said.

And I continued, “He’s been anti-social since he was young. My mom wants him to marry some girl that she chose. I didn’t agree, so I ran away and brought my brother. Remind me to tell you the complete detailed story one day when you’re not wasted, got it? That is if you even remember this conversation.” I explained.

“Hmm… No offense, but your brother seems like a Grinch.” She mumbled and fell asleep again; she didn’t wake up after that, even when I parked the car at our apartment building’s underground parking lot.

I carried her out of the car and into the elevator and up to our floor. When we got in front of our apartments, I stopped and leaned her unconscious body on the wall and checked her blazer if she had her keys. No keys. I checked her pockets for bumps; I didn’t want to put my hand in her jeans. That would be completely awkward, regardless of her being unconscious. No bumps. I stood there for minutes, scratching my head, thinking what I’d do about her. I thought about calling HyunA but I didn’t have her number. If I drove all the way back to her house, by the time I got there they’d all probably be asleep. Besides what would I do there? Check if Hweji left her keys, or ask if she had spare keys to Hweji’s apartment? I decided to leave her in the hall for a couple of minutes and walked down the steps to the lobby.
It was already after twelve o’ clock at night. Amelia/Athena usually lock the front door around nine and tenants living in the building would have to use the basement elevator (The basement happens to be the parking lot, and to get into the parking lot they needed a key to the metal garage door) or the back door, every person living in the building is given a key to both. So there were two ways to get in even when they went to sleep at night.
The lobby was bright and the glass entrance was locked, as expected, the glass wall covered in heavy drapery. And the front desk had no one behind it. No one to give me a spare key my neighbor’s apartment.
I walked back up the stairs and unlocked my own apartment door and threw a very unconscious Hweji over my shoulder.

The heck with this!

 I’ll let her sleep in my bed tonight, I’ll just go sleep on the sofa and wake up early tomorrow to ask Athena for her spare key. Luhan probably won’t even know she was there by the time he wakes up, which will be around noon as usual. By then Hweji will be long gone.

I carried her to my room and softly laid her on my bed. I took a pillow and headed to the sofa in the living room. I have a dozen pillows, so she won’t die if I take one with me to my night’s bed
 
 
 
 
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And here's why our boys moved to Seoul from China :)