Coffee

Have you ever wondered?

*Hweji’s POV

 

My aching head woke me up. It was pounding like hell! I didn’t want to wake up so I tossed and turned. I kicked at the sheets and repositioned the pillows without opening my eyes, I wanted to keep sleeping and by golly I am going to sleep till I don’t feel like sleeping anymore!

 

I remembered my dream. I was watching Kris and HyunA dancing and laughing. They looked great together. I thought to myself, ‘I am so gonna die alone.’ I spotted the bottle of Champaign in front of me and started drinking. I drank because I was lonely, but that wasn’t the only reason. The only two people I knew at the party (aside from Minah and Mr. & Mrs. Kim, of course) were dancing and I was left alone. Plus, I was bored. So, yeah. I drank due to loneliness and boredom.

I drank glass after glass, until the whole bottle was empty and worked on finishing the second one. Then darkness. Even in the dark, I could hear laughing. I remember that in my dream I took pictures, and I remember smelling the inside of an expensive sports car for the first time. No! I remember feeling the leather under me, the feeling of the window against my face. I remember the car’s driver, my handsome neighbor named Kris, and lastly I remember talking to him. I remember. Then it came flooding back. All that happened, it wasn’t a dream at all. I shot forward and found myself in an unfamiliar room.

 

“What the?! Where the hell am I?” I shouted, cursing myself for shouting too loud and moving so suddenly. Being hung over, my head rang.

 

I started looking around to distract myself from my aching head. Expensive looking decorations, glass shelves, silk, everything.

I got up and walked out the door. The sweet smell of something good frying made me step out and follow the scent, but then I remembered that this was some unknown person’s house and snapped out of it and aimed for the door that would hopefully lead me to the exit and not a coat closet.

Hoping whoever was out there, frying whatever it was he or she was frying, wouldn’t noticed me, I tip toed my way to the door. I didn’t even bother to look back and see who was cooking.

“There’s a spare key to your apartment on the table, Hweji.” The sudden noise made me jump.

 

Oh wait! I know that voice.

 

I sighed in relief and turned, “What happened last night?” I asked Kris. I patted my pockets and found out I had lost my apartment key.

 

Kris explained everything and I thanked him for his kindness. I mentally slapped myself for getting drunk. That was embarrassing. God! Why? Note to self: never drink ever again! The party last night had brought me closer to my new neighbor, like a whole lot closer to the point that I have now practically categorized him as one of my good friends.

 

Last night it cleared my head; even though Kris is probably one of the most beautiful people I will meet, he’s just another ordinary guy who likes to be with friends, to laugh and party, he was human. It was seriously embarrassing though that the first actual event I get to spend with him, I got drunk and acted like a dweeb.

 

God, why? Please, tell me why? I could feel the blood collect and color my face red. I bowed and apologized for my actions.

 

“It’s okay. But I want to know, what made you drink that much?” he laughed at me.

“Honestly?” I thought of the best answer and shrugged, “boredom.” He shook his head but smiled.

 

“Want some coffee?” he offered, “I bet you’re experiencing quite a hangover right now.”

 

“Uh, sure.”

 

He handed me a mug of black coffee. “Thank you.”

 

I finished it as fast as I could and headed my way out. As I opened the door I remembered our private conversation last night, “Oh, by the way, I just remembered something.” I said.  I remember, but it’s still all hazy and foggy.

He nodded, understanding what I meant. He knew I was talking about why they were here and all, but although I couldn’t remember everything exactly. I did have an idea how our conversation went. I guess this wasn’t the right time to ask so instead, I tried my best to do one of those I’m-so-friendly smiles he always does and told him, “Nah! Nevermind. Thanks for the coffee, by the way!” and left.