Chapter 4 The Change

As Long As You Love Me

 

Chapter 4 The Change

Taeyeon’s POV:

It’s been a month since the change in our family happened. Yes, ever since Dad changed. Instead of Dad working for us, it was Mom who worked for our family. Dad became drunkaholic while Mom worked for 3 part time jobs in a day.  Mom worked on a kindergarten as a teacher in the morning, a part time florist on a flower shop by noon & a part time bar chef in the evening. I was really surprised that Mom was able to be hired on those part time jobs. I asked Mom & that’s when I have known that Mom was a kindergarten teacher & while she was still a student, Mom learned florist workshop. I really pity Mom seeing her working hard for us. There are many times that she just rests or sleeps for 1-2 hours a day. And anger rose up on me every time I see Dad getting money from Mom on her workplace just to use it for his drinking that always ends up him being drunk.

It’s always been like that but there was a time when Dad hurt Mom. He slaps her when Mom can’t give any money from Dad. Mom’s salary was late that day so she can’t give any amount of money to Dad. I was able to witness it because I decided to visit Mom on her workplace. I was about to hurt Dad physically but Mom stopped me from doing it. And that left me with Mom sobbing. I hugged her so tight while comforting her. I don’t know why Mom is so kind that she can’t just fight back at Dad. Dad is being abusive so she must defend herself from him but she was doing the opposite. Wondering why?

“I can’t help your Dad when he still has a job because I’m a housewife back then so with your Dad being jobless, I will do my part & that’s it to work for our family.”

That is always the reply I get from Mom when I always asked her why she’s the one working for us when Dad can just find a job again because he’s a healthy man & I know he can still work because he’s not sick. I always told her that why is she being a martyr for Dad or sacrificing too much for our family. I also always told her that Dad can also work or find a job so that we’ll be able to overcome this problem with them working for our family or we can also help her. Want to know what’s Mom always replies to me?

“Your Dad also sacrificed back then for our family so now it’s my time to sacrifice for our family so don’t need to. I’m willing to work for 3 part time jobs just to sustain our family’s needs. Look Mom is healthy so don’t need to help me in working for our family.”

She was always smiling at me every time she replied those words to me. We were really blessed to have a kind mother like her but I really wished that she’ll not be too kind so that Dad will stop from abusing her kindness.

Those where my thoughts while I was on my way to school. My mind were full of those thoughts but was just interrupted with our school bell ringing for the 1st class. My sisters Ji Eun & Ji Young already went early or went ahead of me after we drop by Mom’s workplace before going to school to cheer her up or you can say what she always call us her “energizer”. I told Ji Young & Ji Eun to go ahead of me while I just decided to have a small talk with Mom; you can say I’m still hoping I can change Mom’s mind but today is not different from those days I tried to convince her because she’s still determined to continue her sacrifice for our family. Because of that, I was about to be late on my 1st class which is English subject. I immediately went on my room to sit beside my friend Tiffany.

Our teacher on this class was never late so we are all surprised when she still didn’t arrive. Suddenly, one of the teachers on the faculty walks in our room to announce that our teacher is absent today because she was not feeling well. All of my classmates cheered up or were happy after hearing about the news & they immediately went out of the room.

“Tiffany, do you know any part time job? Remember I told you about my family’s condition. I just really wanted to help Mom so that she’ll no longer overwork herself by having 3 part time jobs in a day.” I asked Tiffany expecting she knows some part time job that I’ll try to apply to.

“I know one. You know right that I’m working on this club as a club performer? I was always performing alone but the club manager decided to make it a duo but we still can’t find my partner. Many tried to apply but they always failed to be chosen. Tried it Taeyeon & I’ll surely be happy if you’ll be able to passed & become my partner. The pay is not that high but it’ll be a big help for your mother working. Here’s the card if ever you’re interested. You can go there on weekdays every 5-7 in the afternoon because that’s the time our manager decides to interview applicants since the club will be open at 9 in the evening. “Tiffany replied.

“Ok. I’ll think about it.” I replied to Tiffany’s offer.

“Taeyeon-ah, I have to go now. I still have to practice for my performance later. So see you tomorrow!” Tiffany said before waving her goodbye to me. I just waved back as a sign also of goodbye to her.

Today I have only 1 class which is this class. During this day, I should have 2 classes but to my other class, our teacher is pregnant so she already informed us about her maternity leave. Since I don’t have anything to do, I decided to stay in the school library not to study but to think of the offer of Tiffany.

End of Taeyeon’s POV

Ji Eun’s POV:

It was just like any other day just like the other days but what changed is Mom started working for 3 jobs everyday just to provide the needs of our family. I & Jiyoung are still wondering why Mom has to get a job while Dad doesn’t tried to find any job. Taeyeon unnie & Mom surely know why but looks like they are hiding it. I don’t know the reason why they have to hide it because he’s our Dad & we are concerned about him. We often didn’t see him because just like Taeyeon unnie always says whenever Dad will arrive, we are already sleeping. There are times that we hear sounds downstairs but Taeyeon unnie didn’t let us go downstairs because she just always says that she’s the one who’ll look downstairs. And what always happened is Taeyeon unnie will go back to our room saying that it was our dog kyeopta who just bumped on a thing but I find it suspicious. It’s not that unnie was a suspicious person but it felt like they are hiding some truth on our family that I know concerns us all but they are hiding it from me & Ji Young.

I was having those thoughts all throughout the day. I wasn’t able to focus on my classes today. Luckily, my professors on my classes today didn’t notice me that “I’m physically present but mentally absent”.

My last class was my Music Class so I was in the Music Room. I suddenly saw a guitar & decided to play on it while singing “Say You Love Me” by MYMP.

(A/N: The video below is how IU sings while playing the guitar. Just imagine that IU was singing it acapella or without the microphone, just can’t find any videos of her singing it in acapella. Credit to @pchome123520 for the video.)

(A/N: If ever you wanted to look or see the lyrics of the song Say You Love Me by MYMP, here’s the link: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/m/mymp/say_you_love_me.html.)

I was so immersed with my singing that I didn’t notice someone watching me perform because I heard a sudden clap after I finished singing the song.

End of Ji Eun’s POV

Seohyun’s POV:

I was on my way to the library to study my lessons for my exam later when I heard someone singing while playing the guitar. Her voice was really beautiful that it was really inviting. I learned that the door was not locked so I entered the Music Room. Looks like she was really focused on singing that she didn’t realized I was already watching or already inside the room.

I looked at her & she looks familiar. I tried to look again & that’s when I realized that she was the girl who bumps on me last time. She was that cute girl who kept on apologizing to me that thought I was mad. I chuckled after remembering it.

Not too long, she finished her performance & I clap my hands for a wonderful performance she made.

End of Seohyun’s POV

No One’s POV:

“Seohyun sunbae?” Ji Eun said after getting up & after seeing her watching her.

“Your voice is really good. Why are you not auditioning for the Music Club of the school? I’m sure you’ll get accepted. Why hide your talent when you’re good at it?” Seohyun replied back.

“Really sunbae? But I’m shy because I’m nervous and also afraid that I may cause mistakes that will be remembered by everyone who watched my performance so I’d rather hide it besides I feel that I’m not good at it.” Ji Eun shyly replied.

“No. I’m sure you’re good at singing & playing the guitar. Don’t ever let those people who see your mistakes affect you. We are all humans and we make mistakes because nobody is perfect. So I just like to encourage you to audition for the Music Club. At least try it. If ever you get accepted, I’ll be happy but if ever you didn’t get accepted, I’ll surely help you to improve your talent so that when you audition again, you’ll surely get accepted.” Seohyun said encouraging Ji Eun.     

“Sunbae, I’m still not sure but I’ll think about it.” Ji Eun replied.

“So I’ll just wait for you. By the way, we are in need of new members for the Music Club so audition will start by tomorrow & will end on Friday so hoping I’ll see you on those days.” Seohyun replied back.

“Oh Seohyun you’re here! Let’s go to the library.” Changmin said as he passes by the Music Room.

“Wait Changmin oppa. By the way, what’s your name?”  Seohyun asked.

“Kim Ji Eun.” Ji Eun replied back.

“So Ji Eun, really looking forward to see you on the auditions for the Music Club. Trust me. I know you’ll be able to pass. We’ll go now.” Seohyun replied back as she waved her goodbye to go on her way to the library with Changmin.

“What were you doing there?” Changmin asked as he & Seohyun walked on their way to the library.

“I was about to go to the library when I passed by the Music Room & heard her singing. The way she plays the guitar while singing is really good that I find her talented. And also her voice was really beautiful & very inviting so I entered the Music Room to watched her performance. I tried to convince her to join the Music Club auditions this week but she was reluctant because she’s shy & not confident that her talent will make her pass the audition.” Seohyun replied back.

“Her name is Kim Ji Eun right? So if you really believe she has a good talent, then I’m looking forward to her audition.” Changmin replied back to Seohyun.

“Yes, oppa. You’ll never get disappointed with me & you’ll realize that I’m good in discovering those with talents." Seohyun replied with confidence.

Changmin just giggle hearing her reply & Seohyun joins him in giggling before they enter the library.

Taeyeon’s POV:

I went on a corner side of the library & I rested my face in my hand. I was deep in thoughts but suddenly interrupted by my phone ringtone telling me that I just received a message & like telling me that I should just stop from thinking of it too much & just checked the message I just received.

I check my phone & the message was from Jessica.

“Taeyeon-ah, where are you? Let’s have lunch together”

I replied back at her.

“Ok. Actually I don’t have any classes today because both of my professors can’t come to school. So we’ll just see each other later at lunch!”

My phone rings again & it was a message again from Jessica.

“So where are you now? Actually, I don’t have any classes also because we just passed our requirements on our professor while my other professor is on leave & just leave us a research. I’ll go there.”

“At the library.” I replied after reading her reply.

After replying on her text, I continued thinking of what will be my decision for Tiffany’s offer and without me realizing, Jessica already arrived & is already seated beside me. I just realized she’s already here when she taps me on my shoulder.

“Oh you’re here? Sorry for not noticing your presence. Just been thinking of things.” I already answered knowing she’ll ask questions.

“So what is it the things that you’re thinking about that makes you so immersed in thinking about it? Mind to share it?” Jessica asked me.

“Nothing. About my project in my subject.” I lied trying to hide it from Jessica.

“Taeyeon-ah, don’t you trust me? I know what’s happening to your family right now so I can feel that what you are thinking is about your family especially about your mother.” Jessica answering back knowing I can’t keep any secrets from her. She was my best friend & I know she can read me like an open book. And also every time I need someone to talk to about my problems, it’s always Jessica who is willing to listen to it & comfort me or give advices when I have to decide on something. Because of that, I decided to share what I’m thinking about.

“Jessica, Tiffany offered me to try to apply for a club performer on her part time job.” I blurted out.

“Really? Where?” She asked while I just handed her the card that Tiffany gave me.

“So you’re still not sure on what will be your decision right?” She asked again while I just nodded.

“Ok, Taeyeon. Whatever your decision will be, I’ll support you.” She replied at me.

“You’re not helping me.” I replied back after hearing what she just had said.

“Ok. On my opinion, it’ll really a big help if you’ll try to audition for that part time job because you’ll be able to help your Mom for the expenses if ever you get the job but you must first face your fear of performing in front of many audiences. And also, for me, knowing or have seen your talent, I know you’ll be able to pass the audition. Why don’t you try it? But just like what I had just said earlier, whatever you decision will be, I’ll support you & that I’m not forcing you to follow what I just said. Ok? I know you can do it.” Jessica said.

“Right, I forgot. I & Leeteuk oppa will be having our lunch on a nearby restaurant so do you wanna join us?” Jessica asked.

“Why don’t you ask first Leeteuk-shi if it’s fine with him? I don’t mind not coming with you because I can come to Mom to eat with her. I don’t want to disturb your siblings bonding or date together.” I answered back at her while she nodded as she called her brother.

Since we are in the library, Jessica first excused herself to go outside to talk with her brother. When she finished talking to her brother, she came back with a smile on her face.

“Oppa don’t mind it. So we’ll just wait for him to fetch us here.” Jessica cheerfully replied.

We continued chatting with each other when suddenly Jessica’s phone ringing interrupted us.

“You’re already here? We’re at the library. Wait for us at the school gate. Ok. Bye!” Jessica said as she answered the call on her phone.

“Let’s go Taeyeon-ah! Oppa already arrived & is already waiting for us.” Jessica said as she stands up. I just nodded as I followed her to go to her brother.

When we arrived at the school gate, Jessica started to look for her brother’s car while I just followed her lead.

“Lee Teuk oppa!” Jessica said as she comes closer to her brother as I follow her.

“Oh right oppa! This is Taeyeon, my best friend. She’s also a 4th year college but she’s taking up B.S. in Business Management. She’s my best friend since high school but you weren’t able to see her because you’re often busy or not in the house.” Jessica introduced me to her brother.

“Nice meeting you Lee Teuk-shi.” I said as I bowed.

“Nice meeting you also Taeyeon-ah. Don’t be too formal to me. You can just call me Lee Teuk oppa or only oppa since you & Jessica are the same age.” Lee Teuk-shi replied.

“Yes, oppa.” I awkwardly replied since I’m not used to calling someone ‘oppa’ or ‘unnie’ when I’m not close to them or just met them for the 1st time.

We all hop on the car of Leeteuk-shi. Jessica sits on the front seat beside him while I sit on the back seat. I was still thinking of what will be my decision so I was looking at the window with many what ifs. My thoughts were interrupted when Jessica suddenly said:

“Taeyeon-ah, we’re already here!” She said as she & Leeteuk-shi get off the car while I also did & locked the door on the backseat.

I was surprised after seeing on where we will eat for lunch. It was really an expensive restaurant. Just seeing it makes me go home & thought of saying any excuse just to escape because I’m not used in eating to that expensive restaurant & I don’t want them to treat me to expensive restaurant. When I agreed, I just thought it will be just not very expensive restaurant that I can afford to but not with this restaurant that even what Mom earned for 1 month will not be enough to afford just 1 meal.

“I know that look Taeyeon-ah. Don’t ever think of escaping. Come on join us for lunch.” Jessica said as if she can read my mind.

“But Jessica…” I replied.

“No more buts.” She said as she drags me inside the restaurant.

I sit beside her while her oppa sit across us. Leeteuk-shi called for a waiter & didn’t take a minute that a waiter near us approaches us.

“Good afternoon sir. What’s your order sir?” The waiter asked.

“1 steak and a red wine. How about the two of you?” Lee Teuk shi asked us.

“1 spaghetti Bolognese and also a red wine.” Jessica answered then afterwards looked at me as if asking what will be my order.

“Anything is fine for me.” I answered.

“So make the spaghetti Bolognese and also the red wine for 2 persons.” Jessica answered & said to the waiter.

“Anything more, sir?” The waiter asked Leeteuk-shi.

“That’s all. We just call you if ever there is.” Leeteuk-shi answered.

“Your order will be in a short while.” The waiter replied as he made his way to go to get our orders.

“So oppa how was your morning? Anything happened on the company? It’s because it’s very seldom of you to ask me to join you for lunch.” Jessica asked her brother.

“Not really but guess I just been busy these days that I forgot to have lunch with my sisters which I often done for years so I decided to asked you to join me because I missed it.” Lee Teuk shi replied.

“Oh really? Wait oppa. Why you are always with us during lunch? Why go on a date and take lunch or dinner together?” Jessica jokingly asked.

“Oppa is busy with our company so I don’t have anything time to go on a date.” Lee Teuk-shi replied.

“Then I go find someone for you. Let your good sister handle it.” Jessica proudly replied.

Lee Teuk-shi just chuckle with her reply while Jessica flashed a grin. While watching the two of them, I suddenly felt envious because I really wished I have an oppa. But that thought was interrupted when Leeteuk-shi asked me.

“Are you okay, Taeyeon-ah?” He asked me.

“I’m fine. You can say that I’m just envious with your sibling’s relationship.” I replied back.

“You have 2 sisters right? Why? Are you not close to them?” He asked again.

“It’s not like that. It was just I envy Jessica because she has an oppa like you. I’m the oldest so I really wanted to have an oppa that can help me with my problem or share my secrets too.” I explained.

“Then you can treat me as your oppa. I don’t mind gaining another dongsaeng especially it’s because I know you’re a good person after hearing many good things about you from Jessica.” He replied. I just smiled at him & then afterwards, our orders arrived.

We ate while we converse one another. Lee Teuk oppa is a really nice person & not very hard to become comfortable with. Earlier, I was really awkward calling him oppa but now I’m kinda comfortable to called him like that. When we finished eating our lunch, he paid for our orders. I was about to go on my way to go home but he insists to drive me home.

Our house was not that far to the restaurant so we arrive in just for about 30 minutes.

“Thank you Lee Teuk oppa for the lunch & for driving me home! And Jessica, I’ll surely follow what I think is right. Thank you to the two of you! I really had a great day. I’ll go now.” I said as I get off the car & closed the door of the car. I waved them goodbye as Jessica roll down the car window & said “See you tomorrow Taeyeon-ah!”

I just smiled & entered our house after seeing their car getting farther from our house.

End of Taeyeon’s POV

Jessica’s POV:

When we were on our way to go home, Lee Teuk oppa suddenly asked me a question about Taeyeon.

“Is Taeyeon-ah okay?” He asked.

“Why oppa are you interested in my best friend? You like her?” I jokingly asked.

“No. It’s just she was in deep thoughts when we were on our way for lunch. She was staring blankly on the window.” Lee Teuk oppa replied.

I saw that too but because I’ve been friends with her for so long, I know that when she’s in deep thoughts, she wanted some time alone to think.

“She’s fine oppa. Maybe she was just thinking of what will be her decision to her problem she was facing right now.” I replied back.

“Is it really hard to decide on her current problem? Maybe we can help.” Oppa asked again.

“The decision on her problem lies on her because her problem will only be decided by her so as a friend, any decision she’ll made, I’ll support her and will respect it.” I replied back. He just nodded in understanding while I looked at him sheepishly.

“What?” He asked while looking at my expression.

“Want me to set up a date with Taeyeon-ah? If the one you really wanted to have a date with is Taeyeon-ah, then I’ll support you. Promise you, she’s a good girl and you wouldn’t regret it.” I tried to convince him but he didn’t replied back & just continued driving.

“Come on oppa. It’s been 3 years since Sora unnie left you. I think you should just have to move on & just find someone who’ll love you & who’ll love you back. If you don’t want to try it with Taeyeon, then just try to date anyone. I wanted to see again my oppa with glow in his eyes because he’s in love.” I tried my best to convince him but he just shrugs it off.

“We’re already here. I’ll still have to go back to the office.” Oppa replied while I get off his car slightly disappointed because he just ignored me.

When I was about to enter our house, I was surprised to hear Lee Teuk oppa calling for me while his car window is roll down.

“Jessica, I’ll think about it.” He shouted after flashing a smile.

I just smiled back at him before he rolls up the car window before going on his way to go back to our company’s office. I smiled knowing there may be a chance that the oppa who’s in love will be back. And the thought of who’s the lucky girl makes me curious or excited to meet her.

I entered the house & greeted all of the workers in our house. I didn’t see my sister Krystal and my parents so I decided to just go to my room to work on my research. After an hour, I got hungry so I decided to go downstairs; there I met my sister Krystal who just got home.

“Hi Krystal!” I greeted her warmly but her reply was only a weak smile. She also immediately went to her room while I just sighed & went to the kitchen to get anything to eat in the refrigerator & bring it into my room so that I can eat & finished my research at the same time. I wasn’t able to track time because it was really hard to research about the topic given by our professor that I didn’t notice it’s already time for dinner.

“Jessica, since you’re here, on the day of our wedding anniversary, we will hold a party and we would like you and Krystal to perform. You will be singing a song while Krystal will play the piano.” My mother informs me.

“Why can’t I and Krystal have our own solo performance or we’ll perform a duet?” I asked.

“It’s because we want to show your talent in singing while also showing Krystal’s talent in playing the piano.” My mother replied.

“But Mom, Krystal also has a good voice.” I tried convincing Mom.

“Jessica, our decision is already final. Just go with it, okay?” Mom asked and replied nicely.

“Mom, sorry to tell you. I have to meet my group mates today and we’re going to discuss our project over dinner.” I lied because I just wanted to be alone. My parents again did a good job to make me & Krystal to be more distant to each other. They just replied: “Ok. Be careful and be sure you’ll be back before 10 pm.” I & Krystal have curfew and it is 10 pm. It was still only 7 pm so I still have about 3 hours to be away from the house.

End of Jessica’s POV

Heechul’s POV:

I was about to go to sleep when suddenly I heard a knock from the door. I groan and lazily open the door to see a drunken Jessica.

“Heechul oppa! Can I stay here for the night?” Jessica asked in a drunken voice.

“Why don’t you just go on your house and sleep there? I’m the only one staying in this house & you sleeping on my house for a night is not appropriate & may even create scandal since we both came from a known family. So Jessica listen to oppa, go home now.” I tried to convince her but what she did was just the opposite of what I have told her to do. She even walks inside my house and close the door. She leaves me with no choice so I decided to carry her on my back while looking for my car key. Maybe she thought I’ll let her stay for a night because she was not protesting at first but when she saw I was already holding my car key, she started to protest while shouting “Put me down oppa. I don’t want to go home.” She was even saying it with an aegyo voice but I resist myself to fall for it. I went to the garage and open the door of my car while putting her down on the front seat. I immediately entered my car & closed the door because she was trying to get off the car.

She continued saying “I don’t want to go home. I want to sleep in oppa’s house.” She was very cute because she was saying it with aegyo but I know I shouldn’t let myself to fall for her aegyo because what I should do is bring her back in their house. I thought she already became tired from saying that but when I looked at her, she fall asleep. When the traffic light turns red, I move closer to her to move the strands of her hair on her face. I looked at her face & examined it. She really looks beautiful even when she’s sleeping & really looks peaceful not like when she's awake because I usually see her pissed off expression when I .

I didn’t notice that the traffic light already turns green because I was mesmerized by her beauty if it weren’t for the continuous honking of the car behind my car. I continued to go on my way to her house & just after some minutes, I arrived there. Since I often visit their house, the guard let me enter the house. I parked the car & immediately carried Jessica on my back as I get off the car. I knock on the door & was welcome by the worried faces of her family.

“Heechul, can you carry her to her room?” Her Mom asked me.

I was about to but Jessica tightens her hold on my neck that it leaves me breathless. I started coughing because I was finding it hard to breathe. She started shouting “Oppa, let’s go on your house. I don’t want here.”

Lee Teuk decided to help me by loosening her hold on to me & putting her down on the couch.

End of Heechul’s POV

No One’s POV:

“Jessica, dear, why you don’t want here?” Jessica’s Mom asked Jessica.

“You really wanted to know Mom? I’m already sick & tired of your praises & always comparing me to Krystal. Don’t you know it’s the reason why Krystal is distancing herself from me? I know I can felt that Krystal is mad at me because of what you always do Mom & Dad. I just really wanted to be close to her & be an unnie to her but you’re hindering it. I always tried to say or convince you that no one is better among the two of us that we’re both good but it looks like that your mind is already close that no matter what I say, you won’t listen to me.” Jessica shouted while sobbing.

After that, Jessica falls asleep so Lee Teuk just carried her on her room while Heechul helps him. Lee Teuk & Heechul went downstairs to see Jesssica’s parents & Krystal sobbing after hearing what Jessica what had said.

“Heechul, thanks for sending her here & sorry for the trouble.” Lee Teuk said to Heechul.

“It’s okay. I think I should go now.” Heechul said & bowed at Lee Teuk’s parents and afterwards, pat Krystal & Lee Teuk shoulder before leaving the house to ride on his car to go back to his house.

For the Park family, they all decided to just sleep for tonight & will just talk in the morning even though it was really hard to sleep because of what happened on that night.

Author’s Note:

This is the 4th Chapter.

Hope you enjoyed reading & like this chapter even though I felt that it is also not good just like the other Chapters that I updated but this Chapter focus on the change on the Kim’s family and the revelation of Jessica’s feelings.

I decided to update because it’s Jessica’s birthday today :)

By the way, thank you to @chapis & @pandicornio12 who just subscribed on this fic :)

Thank you also to those subscribers who continue reading this fic & hoping you read this chapter & can give your comments on what you think of this chapter :)

Will try to create the next Chapter but still don’t know when I will update it because I don’t have any ideas on what will be the next Chapter will be all about but hope you look forward to my next update!