Chapter 4

One Person

 

 

Naeun was sitting on the black sofa as her eyes were roaming around the place, nervously. Where’s she, you asked? Well, she’s at L apartment and she had no idea why.

L stopped his car at a tall and luxurious building and he didn’t say anything as he pulled or dragged her to his apartment. She was totally confused and scared on what he’s trying to do. As they went in to his apartment, Naeun’s body stiffened in front of the door. Yes, she was scared on what will happen to her the moment her foot touched the marble floor. L let go of her wrist that he had been holding the moment she came out from his car and said to her to sit on the sofa while he’s going to do something.

L took quite some times as Naeun managed to admire his place despites her nervousness. The whole place majority was all black from the wallpaper, the carpet, the cabinet, the coffee table, all of it. She loved how the whole things were black as it was her favorite color. A lot of the wall was decorated with photographs pictures. She was wondering whether it was him who took it or he just randomly bought it.

Naeun startled when she suddenly saw L in front of her with a basin of water, a small towel and the medicines bag from the pharmacy a while ago. Her brows furrowed in confusion. What’s he’s trying to do?

L put the things on the coffee table in front of the sofa. He dipped the towel into the water as he sat beside Naeun. L grabbed her left arm as he pulled the sleeve up. The bruises that weren’t treated at the pharmacy, a while back ago. L was wandering what exactly the cause of it. Why there were a lot of bruises on her?

Naeun felt shy when he looked at it. She wanted to pull back the sleeve but stopped when he suddenly put the towel on the bruised spot. She winced in pain a little as it was sting.

It was silent between both of them. Awkward silent, to be exact. Naeun wanted to ask him why he did this to her but it felt like the question was stuck in . She cleared , awkwardly as she tried asked to him.

“Why are you doing this to me? To a person that you barely knew?”

She asked with the most soft and fragile voice towards him. L was in a deep thought, searching for an answer that will be suitable for it.

“I don’t know. “

He paused for a while as his eyes were looking deep into her eyes. He continued,

“Maybe, the moment I met you, I had a feeling that I should take care of you.”

He paused again as he broke the contacts between them. Naeun was stunned and confused at the same time. He continued with a smirk on his face,

“And no, you’re not a stranger to me since I’ve already know your name even though it’s not your full name, Naeun-ssi.”

Naeun face was almost turned into the color of a cherry tomato. She was thinking whether she should tell him her full name although it’s not a big deal to her.

“Son Naeun,”

She suddenly said that was almost like a whispers. L was taken aback for a while.

‘Son Naeun,’

He repeated what she said in his mind. He smiled softly to her as he said.

“Well then, I guess I should tell you my real name then,”

Naeun’s brows were furrowed in confusion. L  gazed at her with a slight curved on his lips.

 “Kim Myungsoo. Let’s get along well,”

Naeun was kind of shocked hearing to that. She deepened her brows as she tilted her head.

“I thought your real name was L?”

She said bluntly. L burst into laughter seeing her innocent and cuteness like a child.

“What parents would name their child with a letter ‘L’?”

Naeun felt kind of embarrass and thought that she was stupid to believe that his real name was L. He noticed the sudden change of expression on her as she looked on the floor. L stopped laughing as he cleared his throat.

“I’m sorry. I just- I didn’t mean to-I just…”

L kept stuttered in his words until he grew frustrated with himself and stopped as he sighed.

“Ah, I give up,”

He said as he let go of her arm and slumped himself into the sofa. Naeun gazed at him and she chuckled. At one time, he looked all cold and charismatic but now, he looked like a kid, a cute one too.

L heard her chuckling. He looked at her with stunned. That’s the first time he heard her laugh or to be more specific, it’s the first time he saw her smile.

Naeun noticed L had been staring at her. Her face flushed as she stopped and looked at the black fur carpet. L realized it and a smile appeared on his face.

They got closer, in some way. L asked her age and apparently, she’s two years younger than him.

“So, you had to call me ‘oppa’ then,”

L said with a teasingly smirk. Naeun face turned to red. L saw it and he chuckled seeing her transparent self.

L had done treating her wound as he pulled the sleeve down, Naeun thanking him.

“Thank you.”

L smiled at her as he replied,

“No problem,”

It was silent again between them. Well, they don’t know each other that well despite the names and ages. Naeun had been thinking whether she should ask him or not. To be honest, his answer a while ago about why he doing this to her here was not that satisfying.  

“Urmm, can I know why you brought me here and treating the wound?”

Naeun asked him with different words yet almost the same meaning. L, still holding her arm, was in deep thought. After a while, he answered,

“Like I said, I had a feeling that I should take care of you, protecting you,”

He paused for a while, trying to find the suitable words for him to continue.

“I know it sound weird for a person that you just met for 2 days saying this but, I’m serious.”

He said with a stern voice as he looked deep into her eyes. Naeun flinched a little. No, it was not she was scared but his words somehow made her heart beating fast and she doesn’t even know why. His answers were still vague to her.

L noticed the changed of expression in her but he doesn’t know what the meaning of that expression.

“It’s already late. You should just sleep here tonight.”

He said as he patted her head. Naeun’s froze. The thought of her mother came. The type of action she always did when she was still alive but now, not anymore. Her mother’s warm touches that she had longing to feel it. But even though it’s not her mother touches, but L touches felt warm like her mother. Naeun could felt her eyes were watery as her visions started to turn hazy and blur.

L could saw her eyes were suddenly turning red and that was when a drop of pearl-like water fell from her eyes, running through her cheek. A drop fell and came with another. L was frozen for a while, trying to register in his brain what just happened. The moment he heard Naeun’s sobbing, it hit him that she was crying. He mentally cursed himself in his thought.

‘God, I’m so dense!’

He pulled Naeun into his embraced, trying to sooth her. He tapped her back softly as his thought was drifted on why she suddenly burst into tears. He still didn’t get the answer on her bruises and now, another one was added. He was hoping that he would have a time machine and went back to her past. But, too bad no one had built it yet. 

10 minutes has passed and Naeun had suddenly become quite. L took a glance at her and his lips curved into a smile. Yes, she was sleeping.

‘Like an angel,’

L wiped the tears stain on her cheeks. The hair that was covering her face, he tucked it behind her ear. L slowly lifted her and brought her to his room and put it on the bed.

He sat on the bed side, looking at her calm and pure sleeping face. He smiled. Today had been a rough day. With his parents pursued him to marry with Suzy, although his mom knew that he hate Suzy but then she said that when he married her, that hate will eventually turn to love. He scoffed. Like he would. His mom watched too many dramas. He knew that his parents did this just to save the company. I mean, there’s a lot of other ways other than arranged marriage.

Naeun tossed a little, made him back from reality. He looked at Naeun as his finger gently rubbing her cheek even though some part of it felt rough. Probably cause of the scratches on her face but L didn’t mind. Naeun frowned, made L removed his finger away from her cheek. Naeun’s lips were murmuring some words.

“Om-omma…”

Suddenly, a drop of tear fell. L was shocked. He wiped the tear away from her cheek as he was thinking on the word Naeun said, mom. What happened to her mom?

Naeun tears started to fall more. This time, it looked like she was scared like a nightmare suddenly came as L heard her murmuring,

“Dad…No…It’s hurt…”

L furrowed his brows in confusion. What exactly happened to her? The question that was being repeated over and over again since the first time he met her. The girl in front of him was a mystery to him and he’s willing to do anything to find out what. 

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author Note:

School will starting in one week and

I don't even know if I could update the story or not -.-'

Since I had PMR next year and the last batch too...

The school would kill me =__=

Let's just hope I could update at least once a week :P

Anyway, tell me if something was off~