Chapter 14

One Person

 

 

 

Three days had passed since the day Naeun accidentally bumped into his father…or was it? Still, she wasn’t so sure to herself. She kept thinking and tried to remember the face but it was a blur, vivid image. In the end, she forced herself to not think about it but her nightmares didn’t let her.

Since the day of the accident, the dream she had was weird and obviously scary. Her father was full with red liquid, blood all over his body. He was still walking despite all those blood and he held a knife. Every step he took forward to her, she tried to take steps backward. She didn’t know what happened next since she would wake up with sweats all over her and a concern, worried L will appear besides her with all the wrinkles on his forehead.

She felt guilty. He probably didn’t have enough of sleep because of her. If only there’s a sort of medicine that could prevent her from getting those nightmares…which probably haven’t invent yet.

Naeun was at work, getting all the customers’ order. Her shift will end in an hour or so and she will be off to buy some grocery for tonight’s dinner. She was thinking to make a little feast since she had gotten her wage.

Her shift ended and she left her work place. She must have some sort of curse on always getting bumped into people.

“Oops, sorry!” she apologized to the person she bumped into. She was about to walk when the person suddenly held her wrist that made her stop. Annoyed, Naeun turned around and was about to shout but the opposite happened.

“Naeun…” the voice, it was such a familiar voice. Her body gone numb and she could barely say a word.

“D-Dad…” she mumbled weakly. Feared was taken all over her body, the memories of him abused her played in her mind.

“Naeun…do you have some time?”

 

 

She must be crazy; she must be losing some screws in her head. She had agreed to spend a little time with her father. Though you might think it was not a big deal but it was, for Naeun that’s it. They were sitting on a bench, at a nearby park where it was full of people spending lovable and wonderful times with their family. Was Naeun one of those people? No.

It was awkward between them. It was like they were stranger even though they were each other biological family.

 “I…I’ve decided to tell you the truth…” her father suddenly said weakly, breaking the icy atmosphere between them with his eyes was glued on the ground. Her ears perked up, the truth?

“W-What?” she said, her voice came out like a whisper. She was frowning, looking at her father. Her father didn’t say anything for a few seconds and it was enough for her to see how her father looked like.

He was getting skinnier since the last time she saw him, last month probably. The eye bags around his eyes that showed lack of sleeps, the cheeks that had no fat and his hair that was like a bird nest…or maybe worst?

“I-I know you’ve knew about me killed your mother, right?” he ask Naeun but his eyes were still on the ground. Naeun nodded, still frowning. “There’s something… something really important relating about your mother death.”

 

flashback 3 years ago

“So, found a perfect one for you yet”? Son Hyunwoo, the husband of Kim Mieun, cheekily grinned to the man beside him.

They were in the car, waiting for the red light to turn green. The man shook his head and sighed.

“It’s not that easy, you know.”

Hyunwoo smiled and patted his back. “Relax, the perfect one is waiting for you too.”

The man smiled weakly at him. If only I didn’t introduce you to her, then I had already found my perfect one. The fact that it had been 20 years...

The light was still red as few people hurriedly crossed the road and that was when they both saw a familiar figure. She was in a messy state, with the hair that was messily tied and the hands full of bags. She was walking briskly to cross the road. Hyunwoo lips curved upwards. The man noticed it and grew jealous.

It seemed like that day was meant to be. The man poked Hyunwoo’s side and made Hyunwoo startled which he accidentally step on the accelerate that made the car moved. In a panic, Hyunwoo tried to stop the car but it was too late. The car had hit a person, a woman, the love of his life, Hyunwoo’s wife.

His mind was as blank as a white paper and without even thinking twice, he ran away with the car.

 

He stopped the car under a bridge, where it was far away from the place and isolated from the other. His grip was still on the car’s steering as he looked blankly at the flows of water outside.

Hyunwoo turned to face his so-called friend with rage and flaming eyes.

“You! You’re the one who made me killed my wife!” he shouted. The man snickered.

“What, me?” the man pointed to himself, pretending to be innocent. “But it wasn’t me who made the car move and went towards her direction.” After that, the man opened the door and left the hysterically Hyunwoo alone.

It was me…It was me who killed her…

flashbacks end.

 

“And because of your face resembled a lot like your mother, I was scared or maybe traumatic. That’s why I started hitting, abused and tortured you…” Even when he was telling Naeun the story, his eyes were still glued on the ground. He just, didn’t dare to look into his daughter eyes.

Naeun mouth was left agape, trying to interpret every word her father said. The reason why her father did all those cruel things to her was because of that, because of his deceiving, betrayal friend.

“W-Why did h-he did that?” Naeun asked, stuttering as was trembling. Her father seemed to be in daze before he started to speak.

“The night before you ran away, I don’t know why I had a feeling that I wanted to go to his house and meet him. But…when I went to his house, his mother looked so…depressed and she seemed to be lack of sleeps.  I asked for him and she seems startled and told me that…he had passed away, almost 4 months ago, because of heart cancer” Her father seemed to be in dazed again for a while before he continued, “His mother asked for my name and I told her and then, she suddenly smiled and told me to come in so, I did. She told me to wait for a while and then, she came back with a small, brown checkered box.” His voice started to become hoarser than before. “I opened it and there were a lot of your mother pictures and there’s one picture where your mother, me and him were smiling wide. It was the day we had graduated from high school.” Tears started to form in his eyes but it didn’t fell. “And…at the bottom of the box, there was a letter; a hand-written letter by him before he died 3 days after.” A bead of tears trickled down on his skinny cheek. He sniffled; restrain the tears from falling even more. His hand was in the pocket, searching for the letter.

“R-Read it…” he gave to Naeun, his hand was trembling. Slowly, Naeun took the letter and opened it, reading one word at a time.

 

Hyunwoo-ah…by the time you’re reading this, I probably in hell right now, accepting all the punishment I’ve done. Hyunwoo-ah, I’m sorry for killing your wife. Please, don’t blame yourself. It was me, not you. If I hadn’t poked you then you wouldn’t stepped on the accelerate. And yes, it was on purpose so, killed me if you want (but I probably had died anyway)

Even after 23 years we had been friend, I still felt jealous with you since…you married with the girl who had stolen my heart. Yup, it was your wife, the one who I killed. I’m regretting it big time for introducing you both to each other. If only I didn’t….but, it already happened anyway so… And they said that if it was fated, then they’re meant to be.

Right, when I know that I had a cancer, I start to reflect myself. I had done a lot of things, a lot of bad things to be in fact. One is jealousy, two is killing, three is betraying, four is lying, fifth is…well, you’ve got the point... 

And yes, I still love your wife until you had married her, until now. Don’t get furious, dude! To tell you the truth, I had confessed to her a day before we graduated but she rejected it. Such a waste to reject such a perfect man... But I know she likes you from the very first time she laid her eyes on you but being such a dense guy you’re, you can’t tell...

Even though she had passed away, she must be happy from all the love you gave to her, plus the love from her and your daughter. What’s her name again? Its rhyme with Mieun, if I’m not mistaken…Naeun? Yes, yes, Naeun. She’s has a look of her mother, doesn’t she? Ever since she was 10, she resembled so much like her mother.

So, let’s talk about you next.  How’s your life? We haven’t met since…what? 3 years? God…and the last time we met was in such a terrible situation... I hope you are living well with your daughter~! Tell your daughter that uncle Taejoo said hi! lol, I don’t know if she remembers me or not…

Anyway, this letter is starting to get ridiculous and not making sense plus longer so, I stop here.

Last word, hope you have a happy life with your daughter~ let’s meet with each other in the next world, okay? Have a healthy, happy and lovable life with your daughter~

 

Sincerely, from your (maybe) ex-best friend,

Seo Taejoo

 

 

The letter had some stains of tears, probably from Uncle Taejoo or her father. Naeun eyes were beaming with tears as one by one streamed down her cheeks. Hyunwoo tried to restrain himself from letting the tears fell even more. Thankfully, the park was not full with people anymore.

Hyunwoo sighed before saying: “After that…I went to drink some alcohol to calm myself. By the time I wasn’t in a drunken mood, it was already night and I went home to tell you but then…. I saw you, with bag and ran away…”

Naeun cried even harder and the hiccupped came to her. She clutched her chest tightly and the letter almost ripped because of her. If only…if only I didn’t…ran away that night…

Hyunwoo grabbed his daughter shoulder and hugged her. He tapped her back, trying to ease her down. Naeun cried in her father embrace, the longing feeling she hasn’t felt for 3 years. She had missed her father warmth, a lot.  “Don’t blame yourself; it’s not your fault. It meant to be like that. Everything happened for a reason.” Hyunwoo said to his daughter.

“I-I’m so-so sorry…” Naeun apologized between her hiccups. Hyunwoo smiled and mumbled: “It should be me who supposed to be saying sorry…”

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Author Note:

So...supposedly, I shouldn't be opening my laptop but...yeah, I did it, sneakily :P

and this chapter supposedly to be release last Sunday but....because of my schedule so, I can't ;~~~~;

Right, this chapter might be a little bit confusing with the flashbacks and such

So, if you didn't understand, tell me and...if I have time, I will explain it to you :3

and sorry it the grammar and the sentences seems to be a little bit off and awkward -.-' 

Have a nice day~