Chapter 16

One Person

 

 

Coming home late, he assumed that she’s already in bed sleeping. With a tired sigh, he twisted the door knob and went inside. The room was dark, as he expected, but he didn’t bother to switch on the lights.

Sitting on the sofa, he laid his head on the back of the sofa and stared at the dark ceiling, feeling tired and exhausted. Just then, a crack of a door was heard. He lifted his head towards the left and saw Naeun standing at the front of her room.

He could see her smiling thanks to the city light outside. Somehow, that little smile of hers made the fatigue went away. It was magical, her smile to him.

“Welcome home,” she greeted, softly. L smiled in return.

“Can’t sleep?” he asked her as she went towards the kitchen.

“Yup, and thirsty.” Opening the fridge’s door, she took out a carton of milk and poured it into a couple of glass. Then, she brought both of the glass to the living room, where L was and gave one to him.

“Thanks,” he murmured. Naeun smiled and sat beside him.

He took a sip and set the glass on the coffee table. “How’s your day?”

Holding the glass with both of her hand, she looked at L for a moment. “I’ve met with my father today, in the evening.”

Slightly shocked and bewildered, his eyes widen. He knew the history between Naeun and her father as she had already told him. He knew her father was the cause of her terrifying nightmares. He didn’t want her to return to that miserable life, no he wouldn’t let her. Unconsciously, his hand formed a tight fist.

 “And, he was different.” She said, with a glint of happiness in her eyes. L arched an eyebrow.

“With different, you mean –“

“Well, despite his physical appearance, he’s nicer than before and less scary. The truth is, he became like that was because he felt guilty in killing mom and the fact that I look a lot like mom, made him becoming that way.”

Hearing the truth from her, he unclenched his fist. His lips curved upwards, happy that Naeun was finally getting back together with her father, the father that she had been missing these 3 years.

“Myungsoo?” she called him after a moment of silent.

“Yes?”

She paused for a while, hesitant on telling him.

“I was thinking that maybe, I should go back home…staying with my father.” Slowly, she told him.

Trying to interpret every word she had just said, he fell silent. Unconsciously, he awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck. “Well, urm, it’s you to decide so…when will you, err, planning to go?”

“I was thinking tomorrow, after I told the manager at the café.”

“Oh.” He was practically stunned. That fast, that quick she will leave him.

 

 

The smell of strong scent of coffee woke him up. L got up from his bed and shuffled to the kitchen, with a messy bed hair and half-opened eyes.

He stopped in front of the door and rubbed his eyes to see an angel, pouring a cup of coffee. With a grin, he leaned towards the wall and watched her every movement. Elegant and beautiful;

Feeling someone was watching her, she raised her head and her eyes landed at the man that was still with his disheveled hair and was looking straight at her with a silly grin.  

“Good morning,” she greeted, as usual, soft and gentle with a sincere smile.

“Good morning to you too,” he grin and went towards the chair and sat on it. He scanned the table and was amazed by the amount of food she made.

“Wow, I would never be starve for the next three days,”

Naeun giggled hearing his ridiculous remarked. “Well, since it’s my last day here, I assume we could have a little breakfast feast,”

Hearing she said the word ‘last day’ made his heart dropped. Putting on a forced smile, he said, “Well, since it’s yours ‘last day’, how about joining me having breakfast?”

Without any doubt, she’s gladly accepting his offer.

 “Oh, I almost forgot,” L suddenly said which made Naeun stopped on eating.

He’s putting down his chopsticks and gazed at Naeun, whom innocently tilting her head slightly.  

“I’ve met Suzy yesterday.” He began. Naeun felt a twinge at her heart.

“Oh. I see…”

“She wants to apologize to you, for what she had done.” He stated, his gazed still glued on her.

Naeun was confused as she’s frowning. “Why? I’m sure we’ve never met before,”

“True but she had seen you, once or more. I’m confident that you still remember the accident at the café, right?”

Slowly, she nodded and L started to explain everything to her on what he had heard from Suzy. After it has ended, Naeun was flabbergasted. From her point of view on hearing L’s story, Suzy was an obsessed and possessive person. It made her flinched in fear to know that someone like that exist in the world. The kind of person who would do anything just to make something their own;

“H-How about those t-thugs?” her voice was trembling from all the truth she just heard.

“She said that they are now in jail cause illegally selling drugs and other stuff.”

Naeun sipped her cup of milk coffee as felt dry.

“So, where is Suzy now?” she asked, out of curiosity.

“Somewhere in State, I guess.  We met an hour or so before her flight took off.” He casually said as he leaned his back on the chair and sipped his black coffee.

Naeun fell silent for a while. Accidentally, her eyes landed at the clock on the wall. 9.30 a.m.

“Oh god, I should be going now!” with that, she jumped off from her seat and dashed into her room.

L chuckled, seeing her adorable clumsy side.

 

10 minutes later, Naeun came out from her room with her bag, the bag that she brought with her the day she ran away from home. Confused, L asked her.

“Wait; didn’t you say you’ll be going to the café first?”

She nodded her head. “I am but I figure I should bring my bag too since the motel that my father was staying is near with the café.”

L grew anxious. “Sh-Should I take you there? Wait I’ll – “

“No! Its fine, you have to go to work, remember?”  Naeun said with a giggle.

With a heavy sighed, he went towards her, who was already standing at the front door. He was facing her, scanning every inch of his perfect angel.

Her heart felt heavy to leave him, the tears were threatening to fall. The time was too short, too cruel; only a month of them being together. And in that one month, she felt something that she had never felt before.

Both were undeniable stubborn. Neither one of them said anything other than exchanging goodbyes.

Slowly, she took a step outside the apartment, looking at the last glimpse of L before she waved and disappeared from the door.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As soon as the door closed, L fished out his phone from his pocket and dialed a number.

“Begin the plan,”

A playful smirk was played on his face.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Author Note:

Hello~ Pretty much sure you didn't expect this :p (and it's been four month of non-updated chapter;;; sorry!)

and yeah, PMR is still not over and no, it's still not begin yet (still in two weeks or less and I'll be struggling with papers ;;;) 

and it's Malaysia Day so, school is not open yet until tomorrow~ but still, I need to have an 'one-on-one' time with the books or mom will be furious -.-'

Anyway, enjoy this chapter~